Lakers in the News 1/9/13: "Missed 3's doom L.A., 108-105 "

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 1/9/13: "Missed 3's doom L.A., 108-105 "

Quote:
Lakers' Robert Sacre shows he is relevant
Sacre, who was the last player taken in the 2012 NBA draft, has 10 points, three rebounds and four blocked shots in the Lakers' 125-112 loss to Houston on Tuesday.

By Mike Bresnahan
January 8, 2013, 10:40 p.m.
HOUSTON — Amid the ominous clouds and torrential look of the Lakers' season emerged a feel-good story.

Robert Sacre was anything but Mr. Irrelevant.

The last player taken in the 2012 NBA draft started at center and didn't embarrass himself with 10 points, three rebounds and four blocked shots in the Lakers' 125-112 loss Tuesday to the Houston Rockets.

A day earlier, he played a game with the Los Angeles D-Fenders, the Lakers' Development League affiliate. It was in Reno, so he missed the Lakers' charter flight to Houston on Monday afternoon and caught up with the team on a commercial flight.

Yes, he flew first-class.

The Lakers recalled him after Dwight Howard (shoulder), Pau Gasol (concussion) and Jordan Hill (hip) were all deemed out for a two-game trip.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20130109,0,4964728.story

Last edited by Cha*n on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Preview: Lakers at Spurs

By Eric Pincus
January 9, 2013, 12:50 p.m.

The Lakers (15-19) visit the San Antonio Spurs (27-10) on Wednesday night, facing one of the best teams in the league while significantly short-handed. Once again Dwight Howard (shoulder), Pau Gasol (concussion), Jordan Hill (hip) and Steve Blake (abdominal surgery) will all be out for the Lakers.

That means the Lakers will turn to rookie Robert Sacre, who will play his third game in three nights from Reno (with the D-Fenders) to Houston to San Antonio. Metta World Peace, Antawn Jamison and Earl Clark may get major minutes trying to guard Tim Duncan.

The Spurs are still led by Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Duncan with a steady and deep supporting cast. The Lakers showed they have fight in them, even without much of the roster, on Tuesday night against the Rockets. Playing in San Antonio on a back-to-back night certainly doesn't sound promising.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-preview-lakers-at-spurs-20130109,0,956628.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers lose ... again | Superman a misfit

“When people saw it,” Howard, 27, said of the team’s injury report, “they was thinking the worst. It’s not as bad as what people were saying.”

It might be a matter of semantics, ESPN Los Angeles noted. A separation technically is a tear, but Howard maintains that his injury isn’t as serious as a torn labrum typically would be for an athlete.

"(The doctor) just said he doesn't want me to continue to aggravate it every night because that could cause problems later on in the season, or it could come to a point where someone fouled me hard enough and I tear the labrum, so (the doctor) doesn't want that to happen," Howard said, according to the website.

Howard, traveling with the team to receive treatment from the team’s training staff, is sidelined until he has the shoulder re-evaluated early next week.

He is rehabilitating the shoulder through stabilization exercises, ESPN Los Angeles reported, and sounded optimistic that he could return to the court shortly after that re-evaluation.

"I'm not going to put a timetable on it," Howard said. "Just hopefully in a week or so, I'll have enough strength so when they test it again, I'll be in pretty good shape."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2013-01-09/dwight-howard-injury-update-los-angeles-lakers-center-downplays-shoulder-injury
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rockets mascot Clutch slams cake in face of ‘Laker fan’ during big Houston win (VIDEO)
By Dan Devine | Ball Don't Lie

As I watched the Houston Rockets cut through the Los Angeles Lakers like a chainsaw through a stuffed animal during the third quarter of Tuesday night's matchup, I found myself wondering: If I was a Laker fan, how would I describe this? Like, if I had to conjure up an image to describe how it feels to be a Lakers fan watching James Harden, Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Carlos Delfino and Patrick Patterson just disregard my team's defense and score on 11 consecutive trips over the final five-plus minutes of the frame, which one would I pick?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/rockets-mascot-clutch-slams-cake-face-laker-fan-141310197--nba.html
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Sacre made a good showing for himself last night. Those who have questioned his roster spot this season got their answer.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Nash says no guarantee Lakers will turn it around
Kurt Helin Jan 9, 2013, 10:36 AM EST

AP
For the longest time, I was with Lakers fans on one thing — I was sure the Lakers would figure this thing out and at least make the playoffs.

Now, I’m becoming less sure, just because of the math. As noted last night, the Lakers need to go 30-18 the rest of the way to get to 45 wins this season, which is pretty much the minimum needed to make the playoffs out West. And that is with the seven-game Grammy road trip and some other challenges ahead of them.

Then Steve Nash said this after the Lakers sloppy loss in Houston Tuesday night, as reported by the Los Angeles Times:

“I think three or four weeks ago, people would have said, ‘Oh, it will get better,’ ” Nash said. “Right now, I definitely don’t think there’s a guarantee it will, so the only remedy is to continue to work hard and give yourself a chance for it to get better….

“I obviously think with time — and that might mean through the summer — we can get better,” Nash said, “but for this season it’s definitely going to be a challenge to turn this around, to find the chemistry and cohesion, to find a way for the pieces to work together, to a find a way to get back in transition defense better. There are a number of things we have to try to improve on to get better, but the one thing we can’t accept is to take our foot off the gas and accept things. We have to continue to fight.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/steve-nash-says-no-guarantee-lakers-will-turn-it-around/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sacre made a good showing for himself last night. Those who have questioned his roster spot this season got their answer.

jibikao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Let's see if he can do it again against Duncan!
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject:

NBA BOX SCORE & HIGHLIGHTS

http://www.nba.com/games/20130109/LALSAS/gameinfo.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Game blog: Spurs 108, Lakers 105 (final)
Posted on January 9, 2013 at 6:13 pm by Dan McCarney in Los Angeles Lakers, Spurs

Final: Spurs 108, Lakers 105

It was closer than it should have been — much, much closer — but the Spurs escaped a pair of low-percentage 3-pointers on the Lakers’ final possession to doom L.A. to its fifth straight loss.

The Spurs (28-10) had led by 16 early in the fourth quarter after Stephen Jackson’s third 3 of the period. But Jackson’s later meltdown — he drew a pair of technical fouls for complaining about a missed call — helped the Lakers (15-20) rally down the stretch. They got within three on multiple possessions down the stretch, but could not get any closer.

Kobe Bryant led all scorers with 27 points, while Tony Parker paced the Spurs with 24.

Third quarter: Spurs 85, Lakers 75 (3Q)

Kobe Bryant scored 14 in the quarter, including a 30-foot 3-pointer from the “S” in the Spurs logo at halfcourt, but it is not enough to prevent the Spurs from extending their lead by a point. Tony Parker scored 10 in the quarter, and Kawhi Leonard added nine as the Spurs continued to thrive despite an off night from Tim Duncan.

Halftime: Spurs 54, Lakers 45

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/09/game-blog-lakers-at-spurs/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers vs. Spurs final score: Missed 3's doom L.A., 108-105
By Michael Jones on Jan 9, 10:34p
+
Soobum Im-USA TODAY Sports
The Spurs exploited every Lakers' weakness, dominating the game inside and withstanding a furious fourth quarter run as L.A. couldn't overcome the absence of its top three frontcourt players.

What looked to be a rout until late in the fourth quarter turned into a close game that saw the San Antonio Spurs edge the Los Angeles Lakers, 108-105 on Wednesday night.

Down six, the Lakers got a clutch three-pointer from an unlikely source in Earl Clark. A subsequent Spurs turnover made things interesting with 10.4 seconds left, but Kobe Bryant and Clark each missed three-pointers on relatively good looks to end the game.

Bryant struggled mightily in the first half, going just 2-of-6 and scoring eight points. He finished with 27 points and five assists.

San Antonio executed their offense flawlessly and exploited the porous Lakers defense as they used dribble penetration and crisp passing to get open looks from all over the court. The Spurs shot an outstanding 48.8 percent from the field and 48 from the thee-point line.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/1/9/3858346/lakers-vs-spurs-final-score-recap
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ailing on Court and Off, Lakers Lose Fifth Straight

By LORNE CHAN

Published: January 9, 2013

Forward Pau Gasol stayed behind with a concussion, but center Dwight Howard, nursing a shoulder injury on the bench Wednesday, was able to watch the Lakers’ patchwork roster nearly pull off a wild comeback. However, the healthy San Antonio Spurs, with a full complement of stars, held on for a 108-105 victory.

Trailing by 16 points with seven minutes remaining, the Lakers rallied and had two chances to tie the score in the final seconds. But Kobe Bryant missed a 3-pointer, and Earl Clark grabbed the offensive rebound and missed a 25-foot shot to end the game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/10/sports/basketball/ailing-on-court-and-off-lakers-fall-short-against-spurs.html?_r=0
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: