Sports Illustrated doesn't think Kobe is worthy of MVP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do YOU think Kobe deserves the MVP award?
Heck yes!
69%
 69%  [ 60 ]
I don't know- it depends on any mid-season trades...
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
No way!
17%
 17%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 86

bmaczback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Sports Illustrated doesn't think Kobe is worthy of MVP

Quote:
5. After four dozen stories about how Chauncey Billups won't be named MVP even though he is deserving, the Pistons point guard will, in fact, get the award. Why? For the best of reasons: he deserves it. The media screws up a lot of things, but, in general, they do well on the MVP vote. By the end of the season, Cleveland's LeBron James, Dallas's Dirk Nowitzki, Iverson, Miami's Dwyane Wade, San Antonio's Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, the Clippers' Elton Brand and '05 winner Steve Nash of Phoenix will all be worthy candidates. But Mr. Big Shot will be the best player and leader of a 68-win team, and he will get the nod.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jack_mccallum/01/05/predictions.2006/index.html
bmaczback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sports Illustrated doesn't think Kobe is worthy of MVP

how can they even mention the frenchman?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Of course Kobe's not worthy of MVP right now. As it stands, we're not in the playoffs.

I hope Nash wins it again.
bmaczback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:

62 wrote:
Of course Kobe's not worthy of MVP right now. As it stands, we're not in the playoffs.

I hope Nash wins it again.

is phili in the playoffs? cuz if they arent- then why did they mention a.i.?
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:

It's obvious that they hate Kobe. We should accept the fact that Kobe will never win an MVP unless he rips off a few championships. That's the standard that those ignorant fools have set up for Kobe. And as long as Kobe wins championships, that's all that matters. So no need to listen to SI or BSPN or any of those media fools.
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Kobe doesn't deserve it....but Tony Parker???

Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:

neither do i, his "team" doesnt even have a winning record!
PhillyDoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Kobe deserves significant mention (was idiocy by SI to leave him out) but do not dimiish the impact of Parker - he is not in Kobe's league certainly, but he is damm good player.

Parker has raised his game significantly and leads the NBA in points in the paint, raised his APG (6.4), PPG (19.4), and is near the top in FG (54.3%. He has had multiple 10+ assist games.

Parker, who is also working with Steve Kerr's and Grant Hill's former shooting coach on his jumper mechanics, is breaking down defenses at times in an unreal fashion and had another great game tonight vs. the Wolves. He does deserve to be an all star in my opinion - although it is a stretch to put yet in the MVP category.

Last edited by PhillyDoc on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:

I know we are homers, buy how can you not give it to Billups?

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Sports Illustrated also thinks that The NBA on NBC is the worst theme song ever, go figure.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject:

PhillyDoc wrote:
Kobe deserves significant mention (was idiocy by SI to leave him out) but do not dimiish the impact of Parker - he is not in Kobe's league certainly, but he is damm good player.

Parker has raised his game significantly and leads the NBA in points in the paint, raised his APG (6.4), PPG (19.4), and is near the top in FG (54.3%. He has had multiple 10+ assist games.

Parker, who is also working with Steve Kerr's and Grant Hill's former shooting coach on his jumper mechanics, is breaking down defenses at times in an unreal fashion and had another great game tonight vs. the Wolves. He does deserve to be an all star in my opinion - although it is a stretch to put yet in the MVP category.

That's true, I only pay attention to his play because I have him on a couple of fantasy teams. But so far this year, he is putting together his best season. But if you pick a MVP from the Spurs, tough to go with anyone other than Duncan.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:

(Bleep) Sports Illustrated!
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject:

MVP - Most Valuable Player

Who in the NBA is more valuable to his team than KOBE? There is no single person in the NBA who makes a difference to his team as much as Kobe does. They better change the name of the award if they're not going to consider Kobe for it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:

Who in the NBA is more valuable to his team than KOBE? There is no single person in the NBA who makes a difference to his team as much as Kobe does. They better change the name of the award if they're not going to consider Kobe for it.

In that case, there would be a MVP for each team.
methticaL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject:

i voted yes, but i meant it in the way that he should at least be considered.

lebron or iverson should get it. im hoping one of those guys gets it... and tony parker wtf
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject:

How can you not even consider Kobe Bryant, whose playing on a team most don't even expect to make the playoffs - yet they're in them as we speak. He's carrying his team to a better record than philly, yet A.I. deserves consideration and Kobe doesn't? And no offense, but what's with this idiocy of some here that A.I., whose team has a WORST record than Kobe's Lakers, is deserving but Kobe isn't?

Sorry, but it's not about being a homer, it's about being honest. Look at our roster. Whose our consistent 2nd and 3rd scorer? We don't have those guys yet Kobe makes up for it with his dominance. If picking up your team on your back and carrying them to the playoffs ISN'T MVP worthy, I don't know what the hell is. Seriously.

What's even more absurd, is that most of these "experts" all said before the season, that if Kobe Bryant could get this group of Lakers to the Playoffs, he'd be the hands down MVP. Well, up to the minute he has them there and yet now he's not even worthy of consideration?

I'm flatly disgusted.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
STiG909 wrote:

No, he means who in the NBA is more valuable to his team than any other player is valuable to their team. In other words, do the Spurs win games without Tony Parker? Yes. Do they win without Tim Duncan? Yes. Can the Pistons win without Chauncy Billups? Yes. Can the Lakers win games without Kobe Bryant? No.

Thus, that makes Kobe more valuable to the Lakers than it makes Tony Parker more valuable to the Spurs, and so forth. Now, those elite teams might not win a championship without that missing piece, but the MVP is about winning regular season games, not the championship. Thus, for the purpose of the concept of MVP, it's absurd that Kobe isn't on that list.
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
STiG909 wrote:

You don't get it.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:

Oh come on now.

MVPs simply don't come from mediocre teams.
Unless Lakers are able to play like a respectable team (no, not a 8th seed) Kobe won't win the MVP.

It's possible, but right now he's not one of the leading candidates.
Zelle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PhillyDoc wrote:

That's true, I only pay attention to his play because I have him on a couple of fantasy teams. But so far this year, he is putting together his best season. But if you pick a MVP from the Spurs, tough to go with anyone other than Duncan.

But Timmy is hurt, and not playing his best at the moment. While I will agree Tony is not quite MVP material at the moment. There have been quite a few times this season that he has led us in scoring, and wouldn't have gotten a W without his much improved play this year..
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

giving the MVP award to a player like a parker or a billups is a joke.

lets talk about players who carry their teams... franchise players who carry their teams to victory. not players who are all-stars when it comes to playing their role.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

It's between Kobe and Nash IMO. You can even say Kobe's team got worse with losing Butler and getting (the so-far disappointing) Kwame Brown. LBJ and Brand would also get serious consideration by the media. But if Kobe gets this team to the playoffs or even leads this team to Pacific Divionsin champion (which seems unlikely), I'd have to think he should be the MVP, and Phil Jackosn should be Coach of the Year.

Last edited by twoface723 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Kobe-Wan Kenobi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

People's thought processes are so comical... The cavs get Donyell Marshall, Damon Jones and Larry Hughes this past off-season, and the Clippers get Sam Cassell and Cuttino Mobley... the Lakers got Kwame Brown... But Lebron and Brand are better candidates for MVP then Kobe?
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Tissue Paper Parkers name has NO business being on that list. Also, I get a Sporst Illustrated issue in the mail each week. Most of them get thrown out without a word being read. And for what it is worth - the NBA on NBC song was one of the best sports theme's ever - I've got it running through my head right now just thinking about it. Sports Illustrated needs to get their collective heads out of their proverbial yahoo's.

Jake Speed, 1986
kobehatesdallas
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
And for what it is worth - the NBA on NBC song was one of the best sports theme's ever - I've got it running through my head right now just thinking about it. Sports Illustrated needs to get their collective heads out of their proverbial yahoo's.

****** Tesh rocks!!!! Screw SI.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: