Trap Durant, Trap westbrook, close out on kmart, and stay at home on Ibaka....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Trap Durant, Trap westbrook, close out on kmart, and stay at home on Ibaka....

Trap Durant, Trap westbrook, close out on kmart, and stay at home on Ibaka....

truth is, martin isnt in the game with westbrook and durant all game long.

so if you're willing to trap westbrook and kd at different times. you will have 3 defenders left to defend 4 people. someone has to be left open.

westbrook or KD (whoever isnt on the ball) - stay at home/ deny the ball
Sef - let him catch the ball and only run him off the 3 pt line. whoever is guarding perkins jump at sef to make him a passer off the dribble(but do not come out of the paint to stop him from shooting a floater or mid range jumper, let him have it. so no 3's and no dunk for sef

Ibaka- close out on ibaka's right hand. make him use his left hand to dribble to the rack. the same guy thats guarding perkins should just man the paint and make ibaka a passer off the dribble. this means no free mid range jumpers for him.

Perkins- perkins will be open. but not open in the paint. only open right outside of the paint along the baseline. but notice who we have trying to pass him the ball (two non passers, Sef and ibaka, off the dribble to boot). i can live with that. I dare perkins to get 30 pts, i dare Sef and ibaka to average 6 assist a piece. i dare Sef to hit 30 pts worth of mid range jumpers and floaters. thats not his game.

when martin is in. usually KD or westbrook are out. so you only have to trap which ever of the two are in the game.

Now when they put all 3 in together.
trap KD if he's on the ball/deny him the ball if he's off the ball
trap westbrook if he's on the ball/deny im the ball if he's off the ball
and stay at home on kmart when on or off the ball.

so as you see the guy completely cheating off of their man is whoever is technically supposed to guard Perkins or collison. or whoever is at center. unless they put ibaka there with KD at PF, then you sag off of whoever the non threat is.

IF we can successfully pull this off. we can apply this same scheme to every team in the nba and will work. because all of the elite teams pretty much play the exact same way.
fsc401
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject:

Let WestBrook get his, take the ball out of Durant's hand as much as possible.
"How often do you think he looks around hoping to hear voice familiar. He's lost all of his combatants. Fisher is gone, Phil Jackson is gone, Odom is gone. Very tough for Kobe Bryant." - Kevin Harlin.
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject:

Play the same way we did last year, slow the game down so they have less opportunities to run and pull up for those J's.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject:

good game plan. I wouldn't start doing this right off the bat. I hope MDA would have the brains to save this card as a second half adjustment to give different looks and make other players besides WB,Durant, and Martin make plays. But OKC is too quick and athletic to be trapped. OKC would definitely put up 120 if we execute this game plan.
syzygy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject:

So basically you want us to play 4 (OKC) vs 3 (L.A) constantly where the 4 OKC players will always include either Westbrook, Durant, or Kevin Martin by definition.

Unless you want to use 4 of our players to simultaneously trap KD and Westbrook, in which case we'll be playing 3 (OKC) vs 1 (L.A.) constantly.
syzygy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject:

ForrestHump wrote:
Play the same way we did last year, slow the game down so they have less opportunities to run and pull up for those J's.

So how do we slow the game down when we have an old, aging, slow roster and OKC has a bunch of athletes that can easily outrun us?

The faster team has the capability to slow the slower team down because they can beat them in transition and set up their half court defense before the slower team can get any easy look in transition.

Seriously, do you guys even have a rudimentary understanding of how the game of basketball works?

Last edited by syzygy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject:

fsc401 wrote:
NOPE. its time to slow both of these dudes down.

do not let westbrook get his. i know your point. but still that would result into a close game where kd could bring him home. the guy is 7 feet, and clutch.

i'm not trying to hopefully win by 2. i want to win by 10.

they need to know, that we know how to stop them. expose them for being to top heavy with no real skilled post guys. and since westbrook and durant are not great passers. you can get away with trapping them. sure maybe they look good one game out of many. but i promise you if you use this tactic out of 5 times they would lose.

the only person i wouldnt trap like that. is lebron. he can pass to well and he wants to pass. i would do what we did on accident the last time we played them. LET lebron score. make it SEEM as if you're guarding him then let him blow by you. DO NOT FOUL HIM. then when the game gets closer to the 4th qtr. start running a 1-3-1, to keep lbj from rushing the rim. you create a Fence of guys so he cant get thru. now he has to take long range 2's. he aint good at that. he can hit a 3, and hit some mid range shots. but most players are awful at the long range 2pter.
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject:

Just shut down Westbrook
syzygy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject:

The secret to beating Miami is to "just shut down Lebron James." Whoa no way! It's that easy? We just have to "shut down" Lebron James?

Why not go all the way and "shut down" Lebron James and Dwayne Wade! We can then let Bosh "have his" and we're well on our way to winning!

This "just shut down player X" business makes no sense. No team ever "shuts down" an opposing star player deliberately. You always make it as hard for them as possible. You always try to make them pass the ball to lesser role players and live with the results. This is obvious.

This isn't like some super secret "ace up my sleeve" defensive strategy that is guaranteed to work.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject:

Lakers First wrote:
Just shut down Westbrook

Today is a good day for Kobe to play his doberman role.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject:

syzygy wrote:
So basically you want us to play 4 (OKC) vs 3 (L.A) constantly where the 4 OKC players will always include either Westbrook, Durant, or Kevin Martin by definition.

Unless you want to use 4 of our players to simultaneously trap KD and Westbrook, in which case we'll be playing 3 (OKC) vs 1 (L.A.) constantly.
what are you talking about. lol

pg-westbrook-kobe
sg-Sef- nash
sf-KD- Clark
pf-Ibaka- MWP
c- parkings-Dwight

if westbrook has the ball around that screen from perkins. dwight and kobe trap westbrook. leave sef open.

this means
Mwp will stay home on ibaka
clark will be denying KD the ball
Sef is open only because nash is cheating to some degree , so a basic straight line pass cant be made to perkins in the paint.
Perkins is open along the baseline.

westbrook will only have one option. give it to SEF. the moment he makes that pass and its in the air. i need nash running at sef. yes sef has been hitting his wide open 3's(thats without guys running at him). run at him on his right side. make him drive left as well. run him off of that 3 pt line on occasion. sometimes he will pull up anyway. you cant stop that. lets be realistic.

the moment the ball is being passed not only is nash running at sef, but dwight is now running back down low to cover perkins and the middle. everyone else is still denying the man the ball. sef will have to make split decision passing or jumpers. i want to see him beat us all by himself. i dont believe he has it in him personally. DO YOu?

same rule applies when either westbrook rests and you have some backup PG + KD, and Kmart. stay at home on kmart and ibaka. and trap KD who will most likely have the ball when westbrook isnt in. you can occasionally trap martin if you like. thats only if regular man defense isnt working on him.

now when the lineup of all 3, KD, west, martin are in together along with ibaka. this is their most deadly offensive lineup.

pg-westbrook - nash
sg-kmart - kobe
sf-sef- Clark
pf-durant-MWP
C-ibaka - Gasol(or dwight)

if KD or westbrook have the ball going around a pick, trap them. if kd is in the post with a shorter guy on him. trap him.

stay at home on ibaka,kmart, and westbrook when trapping durant leaving SEF open. clark plays the same role that nash played above. since he's longer and more athletic then nash. he can actually get out to cover sef and make a 3pter difficult for sef to hit with clark coming out on him. but he will also make a pass to the middle scary to make with his length as well.

and the only reason i have nash on westbrook vs the super lineup. thats assuming nash is in and not meeks or morris(two better, more athletic defenders). is because nash will be getting trap help everytime west runs around a screen. so its not like nash has to actually guard west on his own in those moments.

the reason i wouldnt leave nash on west, is because i dont want to tire nash out.

LET SEF ,Ibaka, perkins, and collison show us they are great players. i dont believe it.

expose these top heavy teams for having these great perimeter players and only serviceable bigs. make those bigs play like stars are lose. make these teams really think about revamping their teams after they see us.

we're the only team in the nba with a legit full roster.

we have a point guard
we have a sg
we have a sf
we have a PF
we have a C

they have all at some point in their careers had to put up the numbers and carry a team. no other team in the nba can say this. not the spurs, not the heat, not memphis, not okc, not clippers, etc. expose these teams.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
Lakers First wrote:
Just shut down Westbrook

he will never shut down west again, just like mwp will never shutdown kd again.

for two reasons.#1 refs aint having it.
#2. the coach made them set picks for these two guys every single time. to get kb off of west and to get mwp off of durant. dont believe the hype. these two are not head and shoulders better then they were when we use to beat them. their coach changed the game by making guys constantly set moving screens to free them up. this is why you trap them. not because they are so good and you're afraid they will score on your one guy in a 1 vs 1 situation. you are afraid of that illegal screen completely wiping out kb or mwp. TRAP these dudes.
NoMoreFisher
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject:

We should TARP them instead
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
Lakers First wrote:
Just shut down Westbrook

#2. the coach made them set picks for these two guys every single time. to get kb off of west and to get mwp off of durant. dont believe the hype. these two are not head and shoulders better then they were when we use to beat them. their coach changed the game by making guys constantly set moving screens to free them up. this is why you trap them. not because they are so good and you're afraid they will score on your one guy in a 1 vs 1 situation. you are afraid of that illegal screen completely wiping out kb or mwp. TRAP these dudes.

I'm not saying for him to shut him down. Just make life as difficult as possible.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject:

syzygy wrote:
The secret to beating Miami is to "just shut down Lebron James." Whoa no way! It's that easy? We just have to "shut down" Lebron James?

Why not go all the way and "shut down" Lebron James and Dwayne Wade! We can then let Bosh "have his" and we're well on our way to winning!

This "just shut down player X" business makes no sense. No team ever "shuts down" an opposing star player deliberately. You always make it as hard for them as possible. You always try to make them pass the ball to lesser role players and live with the results. This is obvious.

This isn't like some super secret "ace up my sleeve" defensive strategy that is guaranteed to work.
who said shutdown lebron? i didnt say that. i said let him score but dont let him facilitate. because thats what he LOVES to do. you take guys out of their comfort zone. its not about what guys CAN do. its about what guys LIKE to do.

ibaka CAN dribble to the rack. but he LIKES to shoot the mid range jumper.

westbrook likes pulling up on that pick. you cut that off. and stop his penetration at the same time. he will get frustrated.

if you jump kd. sure he can make a simple pass. doesnt matter. he wont do this all game long. he's a scorer. he doesnt WANT to have to pass like that.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
Lakers First wrote:
Just shut down Westbrook

I'm not saying for him to shut him down. Just make life as difficult as possible.
the only way you can do that with the illegal screen coming is to trap him. kb cant get thru an illegal screen. this is reality. face it and lets do what we gotta do.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject:

NoMoreFisher wrote:
We should TARP them instead
that might work too.
baller99k
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject:

Only five guys allowed on the court..

Kobe=Jordan (Player-wise, not Legacy-wise)
Lakers Valley
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject:

TARP DURANT
TARP WESTBROOK
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject:

Can Stern mandate this game only be played in the halfcourt? And OKC has to have 2 players over 30 at all times?
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
face it and lets do what we gotta do.

Face what? You must be having a conversation with yourself. Btw, I thought you said you're not watching games anymore. Caved that quickly, eh?
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject:

baller99k wrote:
Only five guys allowed on the court..
i just said we're leaving SEf and perkins open to some degree.

5 vs 5,
if 1 of those 5 gets trapped. thats 2 guys on one. leaving 3 more guys to guard the other 4. well someone has to be left open. you dont guard sef, and you dont guard up on perkins. you stand between perkins and whoever is being trapped to stop that guy from making one pass to the paint for an easy 2. you make them pass it to sef. who you then close out on, to make him put it on the ground. while this is occuring our center(dwight) should be back to the paint by then to keep sef from going in there. he will have to pull up. sef cant shoot off the dribble like that. he doesnt shoot mid range jumpers. thats not his thing.sef cant pass well on the move. again thats not his thing either.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
face it and lets do what we gotta do.

Face what? You must be having a conversation with yourself. Btw, I thought you said you're not watching games anymore. Caved that quickly, eh?
so now you want to bring up what i said in another thread because you dont like that i wont agree with your logic. that isnt logical. you cant guard a guy thats receiving ILLEGAL PICKS. how many times do you have to see this happen? forget me watching todays game. i've WATCHED enough okc games in the past to know this. why do you really think mwp doesnt effect KD anymore? he isnt THAT much better then he was. its because the coach start running him off of multiple screens when we play them now. the coach isnt messing around trying to go thru a wall to get kg a score. he works with what he has. no reason to fight it. go around the wall with an illegal screen to boot.

same rule applies to westbrook. trap the guy. i mean teams trap nash and kobe and our bigs dont even set illegal screens. so that should tell you something right there.

and lastly, i already said in another thread. its dwight's fault that i'm back watching. he said he reset the season. so i'm watching a new season.
Galacticos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Easier said then done.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
fsc401 wrote:
NOPE. its time to slow both of these dudes down.

do not let westbrook get his. i know your point. but still that would result into a close game where kd could bring him home. the guy is 7 feet, and clutch.

i'm not trying to hopefully win by 2. i want to win by 10.

they need to know, that we know how to stop them. expose them for being to top heavy with no real skilled post guys. and since westbrook and durant are not great passers. you can get away with trapping them. sure maybe they look good one game out of many. but i promise you if you use this tactic out of 5 times they would lose.

the only person i wouldnt trap like that. is lebron. he can pass to well and he wants to pass. i would do what we did on accident the last time we played them. LET lebron score. make it SEEM as if you're guarding him then let him blow by you. DO NOT FOUL HIM. then when the game gets closer to the 4th qtr. start running a 1-3-1, to keep lbj from rushing the rim. you create a Fence of guys so he cant get thru. now he has to take long range 2's. he aint good at that. he can hit a 3, and hit some mid range shots. but most players are awful at the long range 2pter.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: