Just A Thought - Would You Do This Trade : LO for Paul Pierce

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would You Trade Lamar Odom For Paul Pierce? (Assuming Boston Is Interested)
Hell yeah, Pierce is a great scorer that would make us instant contenders
27%
 27%  [ 27 ]
Hell no, LO is great for this team and for the triangle.
64%
 64%  [ 64 ]
Undecided.
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 100

kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Just A Thought - Would You Do This Trade : LO for Paul Pierce

The article on realgm.com of PPierce basically asking for a trade got me thinking? Would you trade LO for Pierce?

Their salaries are close enough :

LO : $11,465,875
Pierce : $13,843,157 ; Contract runs through 2007/08 season; The last year is a player option.

I don't think we'd lose a lot on rebounding and Pierce is passing more this season. More importantly, we'd be getting a guy that will have no problem helping out with scoring. Here are their numbers this year :

Lamar :

PPG 14.6
RPG 9.5
APG 5.4
SPG 1.03
BPG .88
FG% .454
FT% .692
3P% .352
MPG 39.5

PPierce:

PPG 26.4
RPG 7.6
APG 4.5
SPG 1.21
BPG .47
FG% .498
FT% .814
3P% .393
MPG 38.8

The drawbacks could be that Pierce is two years older and chemistry might be an issue. Also, does he fit the triangle?

So guys what do you think? Would you do this trade?
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm not saying Lamar is better than Paul Pierce, it's just that he will learn a lot about the triangle, which takes time.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

never really been a big fan of pierce,plus if were gonna trade odom i think we should get someone who can give us scoring and great D(artest)or a big who can score
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately Pierce has no respect for Kobe and needs the ball in his hands. It just isn't a good fit, even though Pierce is a great player. It'll never happen...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:

poor mans kobe
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

I don't like Pierce, but I would definitely take him over Odom.
Because he can score, which is the things that we need it the most right now. And he is also a solid rebounder, passer and defender!!
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Lamar all day and night over Paul "Kobe is nothing special really..." Pierce. :roll:
Hades
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Paul doesn't like Kobe,does he?
I wouldn't trade our best rebounder\playmaker for a swingman.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

I would in a heart beat.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Answered hell no, though I don't agree with the rest of the response. Trading LO for Pierce would be a lateral move, I would only trade him for a quality big.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

In case people aren't aware of it (I'm sure many aren't), Paul Pierce has undergone a transformation in his game the last 1.5 seasons, and has continued it all this season. He is much less demanding of the ball, and lets the game come to him far more often than not. Quite frankly Pierce can do everything Odom can do and more, quite a bit more:

1) Pierce is an excellent passer, especially on the break, and quite frankly about as good as Odom. He's a heady player and would pick up the triangle immediately.

2) Pierce is a superb outside shooter. His 3-point shooting speaks for itself, but he can hit jumpers from anywhere on the floor. Arguably, he's a better jump shooter than Kobe, from mid-range or the arc. He'd spread the floor like Odom never could. Combined with his good court vision, he'd be a lethal fit in the triangle next to Kobe (and Cook occasionally). That's sick floor spacing right there, simply sick.

3) He's a dominant scorer quite regularly. He's averaging 27 ppg on 50% shooting this season. That's on mostly jumpers, which is amazing. He gets to the line a ton and is not only a legit 2nd option, but would be able to be a legit 1st option on nights Kobe is off (which is something you could never say of Odom).

4) He's a great rebounder for his position. Odom's still better, but the loss can be easily made up for with Turiaf's energy off the bench.

5) Their defense is a wash, though Pierce gets more superstar treatment than Odom, which will help come playoff time.

If this deal was on the table you do it without hesitation. Unfortunately Ainge never would, Laker hater from the Celtics days and all.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't say HELL NO, just no.
cooguh
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

i say Yes, but not so adamently because even with him we aren't contenders. The only condition I have is that he understands that the team is Kobe's and that he's willing to follow a guy he has no respect for.
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Yes, the only problem is that will Paul be willing to be Lakers' second option?
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject:

It's also very interesting to see Kobe, Kobe's clone (Laron), and Kobe wannabe on the same team.
ramy002
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject:

While Pierce is the better player, Odom and Bryant have solid chemistry together and have become close friends. If a trade like this were to happen, there would be two ball-dominant players on the same court. And let's not also forget that Pierce doesn't respect Bryant. Pierce would be hesitant, if not unwilling, to become anyone's second fiddle, especially Kobe's.
hisairness#8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

I say no because this team is starting to gel and come together on offense. If you look at Phil Jackson's history as a coach a mid season trade does not happen to offten because the player coming in would need to understand the triangle quickly which is very hard to do in the middle of the season (see last season) if anything we need a vet bigman not another offensive option
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject:

Hell No. Pierce plays no D, is not the rebounder that Odom is, and is not able to run the offense. For all of the flak that Odom takes around here, he is very good at certain things that Pierce is not. I think the "problem" is that people are looking for Odom to be an aggressive 2nd scorer, which he is not. He would look a LOT better if we had a consistent second scoring threat.

If Mihm continues to refine his post game, and stay out of foul trouble, and Kwame and Smush continue to gain consistency in their offensive game, Odom is going to wind up looking like a dream on down the line.

There's no way I'd trade what he brings to the table for Pierce.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject:

Pierce is freak'n awesome, I'd love to have him with Lamar and Kobe. Forget about Artest. Pierce is a steady mofo who always shows up. Artest is schizoid.
Hatori Hanzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject:

I think we underestimate team chemistry....say hell no to pierce
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject:

Chemistry between Pierce and Kobe would be horrible. LO and Kobe may have their moments but they seem to be working really well together. Anyone who thinks that dumping LO for Pierce would improve this team is as dilusional as Artest.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

No. I'll admit the idea of having a solid scorer (even inside and out) next to Kobe would take a lot of heat off. Problem is we, and the media would be counting down the seconds until there was a problem with who takes the clutch shot. With the way Peirce talks about being better than Kobe, I don't see him being humble enough to be one of the best 2nd options in the league. Honestly the biggest reason against the trade is the loss of Odom's rebounds and abilty to take opposing 4's off the dribble.

Now with Paul saying (at least) that he wants to stay in Boston, and the fact that he isn't pounding on the door to want to be a Laker...you'll have to give solid value in return. I think the only type of Odom/Pierce deal I'd attempt (after an understanding between him and Kobe) would be this....

Pierce and Jefferson for Odom, George and Cook or a 1st

Problem is, though you don't get enough statistically out of Jefferson (pts, rebs) a young big has too good of value. Basically, I wouldn't take an Odom/Pierce deal without getting a solid big as part of the package. Barring a 3rd team involved, Boston doesn't have much to offer.
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Pierce is a biatch!!! If he got cut up in Boston, just imagine what they'd do to him in LA if he was a bust.........
VonWafer&KobeBryantFa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Hell yeah, Pierce is a great scorer that would make us instant contenders
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: