Would you trade Bynum for Artest?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you trade Bynum for Artest?
Yes
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
No
86%
 86%  [ 72 ]
Total Votes : 83

uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Would you trade Bynum for Artest?

I say hell no! A-Bomb is going to be our star bigman for the next 17 years and its crazy to trade him away for a guy who is liable to punch out Dyan Cannon.

Last edited by uberzev on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Hell no as well.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:

A moderator starting this type of thread

You know it's only going to result in a huge war. There's many that think Artest is the answer to the Lakers championship contentions.

There's others that wouldn't trade for him period.

Personally, I don't see how i would do a trade like that. It doesn't fill a void and you just can't trade a player that COULD fill your biggest void (Bigman) for an additional wing player (no matter how good he is)

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:

deja vu anyone?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
deja vu anyone?

I voted the same as I did last time.

However, if it were Kwame for Artest, I would have voted yes last week, but now I would probably vote no.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I voted no. Anyone other than Bynum, Kobe, and Kwame. Artest with these 3 can form a helluva defensive nucleus...
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Guys believe it or not teams do take fans thoughts into consideration when making trades. For example many believe the Boozer deal crumbled due to negative fan reaction.

Let your opinion be known by voting here. Make it clear that we're not willing to trade our future away.

Last edited by uberzev on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

uberzev is my favourite mod
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
However, if it were Kwame for Artest, I would have voted yes last week, but now I would probably vote no

Disagree.

Kwame is not going to be an All-Star. He can't finish and with his skillset it's going to very hard for him to even become a quality bigman.

Bynum OTOH is a big Center. Not a PF that can play C because of the NBA lack of talent at the poistion. But because he actually has the tools and physical presence. In a league where that's rare, you can't trade a player like Bynum - especially after the work he's shown.

Artest in place of Kwame would be a huge boost. It would also lead to Bynum becoming the Backup C which i would love to see happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Kwame is not going to be an All-Star. He can't finish and with his skillset it's going to very hard for him to even become a quality bigman.

So? He doesn't have to be an all-star to be effective for us. And he can't finish? Do you conveniently ignore the times he has? Did you watch the past game and that nice move he made on J'Oneal? The talent is there, he just needs to build his confidence.

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Artest in place of Kwame would be a huge boost. It would also lead to Bynum becoming the Backup C which i would love to see happen.

Maybe if he can keep his head in the game (and not blow up the team with his selfishness) Artest would be a plus over Kwame, but his past leads me to believe otherwise. Kwame is a minimal risk in comparison to Artest, so I choose Kwame.

^^ Farmar

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So? He doesn't have to be an all-star to be effective for us. And he can't finish? Do you conveniently ignore the times he has? Did you watch the past game and that nice move he made on J'Oneal? The talent is there, he just needs to build his confidence.

Well I meant can't finish regularly to be a post option (Start at C) and not consistent enough a jumpshooter to be the high post option. Phil said himself the offense struggles with Kwame.

Quote:
Kwame is a minimal risk in comparison to Artest

Considering the Lakers traded Butler for him, he has been a bad risk. And yes he was a risk, because you traded a proven player for him despite his poor showings in Washington.

Kwame is the THIRD highest paid player on the team. Look at the production. People complain about Bryant, Odom and others - but the worst contract on the Lakers right now is Kwame's.

Even the realists were expecting 12-8 out of him. His season and play for the most part has been a huge dissapointment. To the point where Phil has said he has no expecations of Kwame and will take whatever he gets (This was said on a broadcast a few games ago)

Trading Kwame for Artest is not a big risk in my book.
brandnew
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:

I can't really believe we traded away CB, that big scoring option that we desperately could use right now, for Kwame, who's simply provided good post defense. I'm not sure which would be more important to us right now.

On the trade, HELL NO, I agree with you. Artest does not make us a championship quality squad. We still lack consistent inside presence, and by trading for Artest, we lose any hope of someday being an ACTUAL contender with a legit big in Bynum. We'd be stuck living on the hopes of the '07 plan. Right now, IMO by '07, Kobe-Odom-Bynum would be a damn good nucleus to start a championship squad. Kobe-Artest-Odom would be good, yes, but it would lack any hope of an inside presence, and we'd have to pray for a Chris Bosh to have a hope of being a championship squad. It just doesn't make sense.
VonWafer&KobeBryantFa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Hell ya I would.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Obviously, straight up can't be done but I'd go for it if I got more than Artest.

Bynum
Slava
Mckie
Cook

for

Artest
Granger
Harrison

Harrison won't be needed and Granger sweetens the deal.

Losing a player then makes room for Turiaf.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I can't really believe we traded away CB, that big scoring option that we desperately could use right now, for Kwame, who's simply provided good post defense. I'm not sure which would be more important to us right now.

On the trade, HELL NO, I agree with you. Artest does not make us a championship quality squad. We still lack consistent inside presence, and by trading for Artest, we lose any hope of someday being an ACTUAL contender with a legit big in Bynum. We'd be stuck living on the hopes of the '07 plan. Right now, IMO by '07, Kobe-Odom-Bynum would be a damn good nucleus to start a championship squad. Kobe-Artest-Odom would be good, yes, but it would lack any hope of an inside presence, and we'd have to pray for a Chris Bosh to have a hope of being a championship squad. It just doesn't make sense

Excellent post.

We should get atleast one very good FA in 2007 IMO. THe Lakers could have a huge max slot open and they are an elite franchise in what is mostly considered a great city.

I don't see how they can't get atleast one quality FA (All-Star calibar player) to go with Bynum, Odom and Bryant.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Obviously, straight up can't be done but I'd go for it if I got more than Artest.

Bynum
Slava
Mckie
Cook

for

Artest
Granger
Harrison

Harrison won't be needed and Granger sweetens the deal.

Losing a player then makes room for Turiaf.
no way the Pacers let go of Granger or Harrison.
jaidai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Well I meant can't finish regularly to be a post option (Start at C) and not consistent enough a jumpshooter to be the high post option. Phil said himself the offense struggles with Kwame.

Quote:
Kwame is a minimal risk in comparison to Artest

Considering the Lakers traded Butler for him, he has been a bad risk. And yes he was a risk, because you traded a proven player for him despite his poor showings in Washington.

Kwame is the THIRD highest paid player on the team. Look at the production. People complain about Bryant, Odom and others - but the worst contract on the Lakers right now is Kwame's.

Even the realists were expecting 12-8 out of him. His season and play for the most part has been a huge dissapointment. To the point where Phil has said he has no expecations of Kwame and will take whatever he gets (This was said on a broadcast a few games ago)

Trading Kwame for Artest is not a big risk in my book.

Well, I am still a Kwame supporter. Don't ask me why, since he has at best given me a minimal amount of reasons to want to keep him (Maybe because I am such a defense guy) I just wish he would score more.

Artest on the other hand is so iffy to me, it smells like Rodman. And you know how long that risky pickup lasted!

http://www.hierosites.com
Kwame54Brown
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Nope...Never
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:

As of my "Hell No" vote, it's 53 nays to 8 yeses.

The team better not throw away the future on a headcase like Terell Owens... Oh, I meant Ron Artest. Hell, I'd be more for trading Odom for Artest than I would be about Bynum for Artest, and if you polled me about Odom for Artest I would have answered "no" as well.

Kobe's prime be damned. Sure, Artest will help us out when he first gets here, but the dude has shown that he's a loose cannon capable of messing up your season. Am I overreacting by guessing that the team he ends up with will only have him for at most 3 seasons before he starts to lose interest again and goes insane? This isn't so far-fetched... So when Kobe's past his prime at 33, Bynum will be 24, possibly one of the best big men in the league by then, and Artest will be selling pizza at Papa John's or producing an R&B album (or both).

I'm getting frustrated just writing this.

Front office better not do this. As much as the Shaq trade is looking better from our standpoint now, give us time to figure this out before pissing off the fan base again.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:

56-8 now.

That's 87.5% saying, "Don't effin do this, Mitch/Buss. Don't listen to Phil on this one."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: