Mitch Kupchak's prophetic words

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Mitch Kupchak's prophetic words

I didn't bother to go dig up the date, time, publication, etc of Mitch's comment, but after the acquisition of Dwight & Nash had settled in , and it looked like the roster was taking shape with the acquisition of both a scorer (Jamison) & a shooter (Meeks)-Clark was perceived as an unknown asset at that time- the only concern Mitch expressed was in his response to a reporter's question of any concerns he had..."yeah, I wish we were a little younger".

The fact is that we have a mixmashed collection of pieces. The one common denominator between most of them is they posssess average to below average speed...hence the problem on defense. The truth is they may not fit, Im hoping Im wrong. Its like having a great group of players who are just beyond their most productive years. Hope to hell I'm proven wrong (if we make the playoffs)
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Yeah everyone knew the ages of these guys was going to be a concern.
CrackerJax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I hope and think and also pray your wrong too because the 2 X-factors are 1) Coach Mike and his defense schemes and 2) Metta's clutch 3 point shooting the problem with the past 3 games or so is those have not been on display but it is easy to fix that PLUS look at our record since the all-* break and it is pretty easily to conclude we are poised for a deep playoff run if we can fix #1&2 above which is probably not that hard when you have the greatest player of all time (Kobe) on your team and 4 HOF and Blake.
Half Baked Hero
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject:

It's not prophetic, age was a legitimate concern from the get go for some people. Mitch shared those concerns along with a few analysts.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject:

The 4 draft picks for Nash was one the dumbest moves ever. You can't do that with the new CBA.
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
The 4 draft picks for Nash was one the dumbest moves ever. You can't do that with the new CBA.

WaltonFam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject:

I knew we'd be old and slow. But at the same time I didn't expect we'd play like it.
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject:

Pretty much anyone with half a brain saw last year Pau Struggles when forced out of the paint on Offense. Mitch should have played hardball with Nash and found a deal to move Pau. I'm not trying to blame Pau, because it's still a failure of coaching that they can't figure out how to maximize Pau's time on the floor but this two bigs thing isn't working.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Chick-N-Stew wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

All chips were put in for next two years with Kobe.
WaltonFam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:
Chick-N-Stew wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

All chips were put in for next two years with Kobe.

Went all-in with the river card being MDA. We're going to be sent home with a full house that wasn't good enough.
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mitch Kupchak's prophetic words

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
I didn't bother to go dig up the date, time, publication, etc of Mitch's comment, but after the acquisition of Dwight & Nash had settled in , and it looked like the roster was taking shape with the acquisition of both a scorer (Jamison) & a shooter (Meeks)-Clark was perceived as an unknown asset at that time- the only concern Mitch expressed was in his response to a reporter's question of any concerns he had..."yeah, I wish we were a little younger".

The fact is that we have a mixmashed collection of pieces. The one common denominator between most of them is they posssess average to below average speed...hence the problem on defense. The truth is they may not fit, Im hoping Im wrong. Its like having a great group of players who are just beyond their most productive years. Hope to hell I'm proven wrong (if we make the playoffs)

That's where my fellow young LGers are incorrect. This team doesn't play defense cus their offense sux. Nothing to do with age. If we slow it down, and play at a slow pace our defense would improve. The 1987 Celtics were old and injured. They got to 6 games in the Finals to the Lakers.

The 1996 to 1998 Bulls were old and they won all 3 years. When your older, your suppose to use your experience and IQ to defeat younger opponents. We are so stupid that we trying to play their game. We are trying a fast pace, trying to out dunk opponents. This is where the coach, Mr ScareCrow himself needs to take the blame.

We need an offense that flows, not shooters standing around. We need movement, post up and a slow pace. Why is MWP shooting 3's? He should be posting up and muscling guys down in the box. This will wear and tear on whoever is guarding him.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Play the old guys up one position and voila they're speed isn't so bad.

Gasol shouldn't be played at any position other than 5 anymore.

Metta is a 4 now.

Kobe should play the 3 now.

Nash should play the 2. He's still a great distributor, but he's definitely lost 2 steps since the injury and isn't quick enough to really maximize his potential as the head of the offense anymore. Kevin Martin, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, this is the type of guard he should try transitioning into imo. Like Kidd and Billups, old pgs who now play combo guards, can run the offense occasionally, but primarily focus on excellent spot up shooting.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:

They were late first and second round picks. So maybe they miss out on the next Celestandt or Sacre... Given that Nash was an all-star last season and still playing at a high level, I don't think that was too much of an asking price.
ReturnoftheMarc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject:

If defense is our main issue then we're really screwed now cause Metta's gone and he's our best wing defender. This is gonna be ugly. Well, those who wanted Metta benched finally got their wish.
jdm43390
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mitch Kupchak's prophetic words

chains wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

That's where my fellow young LGers are incorrect. This team doesn't play defense cus their offense sux. Nothing to do with age. If we slow it down, and play at a slow pace our defense would improve. The 1987 Celtics were old and injured. They got to 6 games in the Finals to the Lakers.

The 1996 to 1998 Bulls were old and they won all 3 years. When your older, your suppose to use your experience and IQ to defeat younger opponents. We are so stupid that we trying to play their game. We are trying a fast pace, trying to out dunk opponents. This is where the coach, Mr ScareCrow himself needs to take the blame.

We need an offense that flows, not shooters standing around. We need movement, post up and a slow pace. Why is MWP shooting 3's? He should be posting up and muscling guys down in the box. This will wear and tear on whoever is guarding him.

Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject:

It would of been nice if Sessions would of stayed
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject:

Mitch is god.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mitch Kupchak's prophetic words

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

it wouldnt matter if we were young or old. we're to HURT to know for sure this season. and these are not a bunch of old man injuries. MOST of them are fluke injuries. our youth is also hurt (clark is playing hurt, jhill is hurt, and dwight is playing hurt).

clark looks slow now due to playing injured. and he's young and athletic. its proves my point. we're to hurt to ever know what COULD have happened IF we were healthy.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject:

Are you kidding me?age is just an excuse. Outside of steve nash, jamison, and gasol i dont seen age being a real issue with our defense.

The team just doesnt coomunicate good eough to be a good defensive team. We have dwight howard, an all tme defensive machine. Our shortcomings should be somewhat washed out with him protecting the rim.

Its pretty obvious its simple things like effort and communcation that are the real issues. Our team just doesnt have that defensive mindset and chemistry. Weve seen plenty of instant replays were guys just dont help out to rotate or dont even sttempt to contest a shot. Plays were certain guys would rather gamle for a steal as opposed to trusting the defense....Just pure laziness.
dogstar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

They were late first and second round picks. So maybe they miss out on the next Celestandt or Sacre... Given that Nash was an all-star last season and still playing at a high level, I don't think that was too much of an asking price.

Late first round picks? You mean damn close to lottery picks this year and maybe lottery in future years, depending on protection, lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: