View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

He had some good bits with Conan and Ice Cube:

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

If you want torture, watch him attempt to act in his buddy movies with ice cube.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
lakersgirl wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
He used to be funny. His first two standup specials are hilarious but it seems that now that's he's gotten so popular, he's pulled a Dane Cook and just gotten overly obnoxious. I'm not a fan anymore.

He was never funny.

It's like this whole Carlos Mencia thing. Carlos was never funny. Carlos is the guy who's funny around dumb people.

I'm convinced that he only got his show because Comedy Central blew it with Dave Chappelle...

I put Kevin Hart below Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, and Paul Mooney
He's a Kat Williams/Aziz Ansari level comedian.

Specificially, Kevin's stand up mostly makes people laugh with one liners. And if his over the top mannerisms and speech rub you the wrong way. He's not a good match for you.

I agree with those who said that Kevin's old standup specials are great. He's not the type of comedian that tells incredibly witty jokes most of the time, but you don't necessarily have to do that to be a really funny entertainer as a standup IMO. Jim Jefferies is someone who is a great act who tells a lot of stories, for example, in his performances. Kevin kind of does the same, and his impersonations of certain people in his life (his "angry" ex-con uncle and his manager come to mind) are straight-up hilarious. His most recent stuff, though, is not good. But he's not alone. Amy Schumer put out some great hours of comedy, she became famous and blew up, and then her most recent Netflix special was genuinely horrendous. Louis CK hasn't been as good lately. It does happen. (That's why someone like George Carlin was so amazing, whose HBO specials were consistently incredible until, perhaps, his last one, and I still liked that one enough.)

Katt Williams has at least 2, and maybe 3, standup specials that are pure comedy gold as far as I'm concerned. And even though his style can certainly be over-the-top at times, he's also a lot smarter than given credit for; I think his comedy can actually be quite clever. I'm a fan. (We aren't talking about his 900 arrests, right?)

He hasn't been mentioned, but I'm a huge Gary Owen fan. Dude's delivery and mannerisms are really funny, and the fact that he's a white guy married to a black woman and caters primarily to a black audience is something you usually don't see, and it leads to some pretty good comedy.

I don't think Aziz Ansari is that funny. I've seen him do a 15-minute set live and I don't think I laughed once. I've seen at least one of his specials and didn't think it was good.

Dave Chappelle was one of the greats at his height, and Chris Rock is one of the best comedians of his generation for sure.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject:

This comedy talk got me to thinking about some of my favorite comics, so here are some lists for me, with comments. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but indulge me, won't you?

My All-Time Favorites
George Carlin (Never growing stale, he was a master of language and words and phrasing, he could pick apart popular culture like no other, and he could be equal parts highly intelligent/witty and uproariously vulgar. He also was unafraid to take on taboo subjects, both at a young age and then as he got older.)
Don Rickles (The absolute master of insult/improvisational comedy. No one could ever or will ever touch Rickles at what he did. A legend.)
Rita Rudner (I always adored how smart her jokes were and that deadpan, dry delivery. Proof that you don't necessarily have to curse to be a great comedian.)
Lewis Black ("Black On Broadway" and "Red, White, & Screwed" are 2 of the greatest comedy specials I've ever seen. Each is a full hour of material where you just don't stop laughing.)
Bill Burr (Possibly the best act working today. He's unafraid to take on popularly-held notions if he thinks they are BS and he's as sharp as a tack with his wit.)
Chris Rock (Beyond the delivery and the voice, dude is just a really smart and poised comedian. One of the greats.)
Andrew Dice Clay (OHHHHH! When he first came onto the scene he was like a rock star, and he was playing a character; but it was always destined to be a short-lived stand-up career, because he essentially became a caricature of his character. You can't be that character at 50, for example. Still, he was a legit phenomenon for a few years there, and at least he's had a decent second act in the past 5-10 years with movies and TV.)
Sam Kinison (I put him next to Dice because they were contemporaries and he viewed his shows almost like rock concerts, too. He was a great speaker on the mic because of his preacher's background and, of course, those politically incorrect and angry rants were one-of-a-kind.)
Billy Connolly (Frenetically hilarious and foul-mouthed, with that Scottish accent just adding to the charm; "Pale Blue Scottish Person" is a gem.)
Joan Rivers (Damn I loved Joan Rivers, and she actually got funnier as she aged. She was still sharp as ever right to the end, and unafraid to push boundaries.)
Bill Maher (I know that some might not care for his politics, but the fact that he could craft so much comedy based on the political climate of the day is pretty remarkable.)

Favorite Acts Working Today
Bill Burr (Aforementioned)
Jim Jefferies (Whether it's God ruining your party or helping a disabled friend fulfill a dream at a brothel, no one works the room quite like Jim Jefferies.)
Sebastian Maniscalco (Great observational comedy with a thick Italian/New York accent, and his slow, "I can't believe it" expressions as he delivers his punchlines are awesome.)
Russell Peters (A worldwide star, I saw him at the Grove in Anaheim last year and he was fantastic. He's sharp with the jokes and he can work the crowd and improvise.)
Mike Birbiglia ("My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" is one of the funniest, most personal stand-up specials you'll find anywhere.)
Joe Rogan (I've seen him live twice and he is awesome with the crowd. Much, much smarter than most realize, and combined with his profane outbursts, it's a great mix.)
Gary Owen (I mentioned him earlier, but I love the delivery and the mannerisms and the point of view he has.)
Ali Wong (If you haven't seen "Baby Cobra", which she performed while in the late stages of pregnancy, do yourself a favor and check it out.)
Anthony Jeselnik (I love the acerbic, dark humor he brings.)
Amy Schumer (Her last Netflix special was dreadful, but she had been on such a roll before that I'm willing to overlook it, at least for now.)
Joel Kim Booster (For those who don't know who he is, he's been on "Conan" and he's a relatively young Korean-American dude who was adopted by white Evangelical parents in the Midwest, and he's very obviously gay and very obviously funny; there's no doubt he plays up the effeminate mannerisms a bit.)
Brad Williams (To be clear, he would be funny whether he were a little person or not, but he uses his stature to his advantage as he performs, because he's such a deft physical comedian as he moves around the stage. His stories about his exploits with women are hilarious, especially a failed 3-way with a woman and another male friend because "certain things were not lining up with certain other things!" He even has some heartfelt material when he talks about his father.)

Favorite "Roast" Comedians
Greg Giraldo
Lisa Lampanelli
Nick DiPaolo
Gilbert Gottfried
Jeff Ross
Anthony Jeselnik
Sarah Silverman
Natasha Leggero
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

One of my faves is Lavell Crawford. His comedy is not sophisticated at all but nobody else can really crack me up like he does. Plus IMO he is one of the most naturally funny comedians around as far as just being funny when not doing a routine or staged interview. I seen it first hand at the improv where a large portion of his show he clearly going off routine with some funny back and forth with the audience.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

Not a lot of love for Aziz Ansari? I enjoyed most of his specials and his show Masters of None, but to each their own.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
Not a lot of love for Aziz Ansari? I enjoyed most of his specials and his show Masters of None, but to each their own.

I quite like Aziz on TV shows when he's playing a character. Loved him on Parks & Rec as Tom Haverford. I just don't like him as a standup comedian.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Rodney “No Respect” Dangerfield. And one of my favorites though he is an acquired taste, Stephen Wright.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
One of my faves is Lavell Crawford. His comedy is not sophisticated at all but nobody else can really crack me up like he does. Plus IMO he is one of the most naturally funny comedians around as far as just being funny when not doing a routine or staged interview. I seen it first hand at the improv where a large portion of his show he clearly going off routine with some funny back and forth with the audience.

every once in a while when McDonalds has a special deal or something I call people with this energy for the lulz
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I quite like Aziz on TV shows when he's playing a character. Loved him on Parks & Rec as Tom Haverford. I just don't like him as a standup comedian.

My exact sentiments, as well.

My all-time favorites are Chappelle, Louis CK (seen live once), Bill Burr (seen live twice), and George Carlin.

I like Joe Rogan but I saw him at the Comedy Store once and I don't like his stand-up.

I cannot stand Katt Williams, and I don't care for Kevin Hart. The only time Kevin Hart has made me laugh was his small part in The 40 Year-Old Virgin.

I've always enjoyed most of David Spade's movie roles but he really surprised me when he opened up for Louis CK last year. He absolutely killed.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

I never find those guys funny
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject:

All-time for me is Carlin.

Eddie Murphy deserves some serious mention for All-Time as well. He was incredible back in the 80's. Delirious and Raw were insanely funny!

Currently, Bill Burr is one funny MFer.

Chappelle as well.

As VLF mentioned, Steven Wright had (or has if he still performs stand up) that unique dry brand and delivery that set him apart as well.

Many more I could mention then and now. But those for me come to mind.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rodney “No Respect” Dangerfield. And one of my favorites though he is an acquired taste, Stephen Wright.

I do like Wright. He's even more dry than Rita Rudner, but he's good at what he does. And I was certainly a fan of Rodney and I should have mentioned him before.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

OH LAWWD! NOT THE SUGA!
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

No great comedian list is complete without Bill Hicks.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

You know, I'm certainly old enough to be familiar with his stuff, and yet, I am not. He's just one of those dudes that fell through the cracks for me, even though I see him on all sorts of all-time lists. If I were to check out some of his stuff on Youtube or wherever, is there anything specific that you would recommend?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

You know, I'm certainly old enough to be familiar with his stuff, and yet, I am not. He's just one of those dudes that fell through the cracks for me, even though I see him on all sorts of all-time lists. If I were to check out some of his stuff on Youtube or wherever, is there anything specific that you would recommend?

Bills career was broken into 2 parts pre and post sobriety. But unfortunately most of the you tube stuff is broken up chopped up prices of albums and live shows.i do especially enjoy his screeds on religion and marketing. He was also infamously cut out of his last David Letterman appearance that he did when he was terminally ill with cancer.

After his death Letterman had his mother o tha e show and apologized to her and played the censored clip.

Dennis Leary also famously made most of his career stealing Bill Hicks material.

Here's a good article on that.

https://matthewmaccallum.wordpress.com/2015/05/13/comedy-thieves-bill-hicks/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: