*** SPOILER ZONE ***Official Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread (for BOOK readers)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: *** SPOILER ZONE ***Official Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread (for BOOK readers)

Discuss away, you are safe here.

Valar Morghulis.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject:

My only question is who do you think will finish the series after George RR Martin passes? At his current rate of book releases, and judging his health from looking at his book jacket picture, there is no way he'll finish in his lifetime. Brandon Sandersen, who took over for Robert Jordan?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
My only question is who do you think will finish the series after George RR Martin passes? At his current rate of book releases, and judging his health from looking at his book jacket picture, there is no way he'll finish in his lifetime. Brandon Sandersen, who took over for Robert Jordan?

I've been discussing this with friends that have read the books.

It's hard to say unless he has written plans.

This is supposed to be closed ended. I hope he finishes or at least passes on the outline to the conclusion to the next writer. After that, they can go in their own direction.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject:

They stabbed Jon Snow to death . Don't those idiots understand that if they don't work with the wildlings, then they'll become white walkers? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. C'mon man!

Anyway, I bet Daenerys and her dragons are going to take out a bunch of white walkers in a big final battle. Dragon fire can melt stone, I'm sure it can kill the others too.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject:

What do you guys think of the slight changes in the show? So far, it's been masterfully done imo (like Theon delivering the death blow to the man at arms, forget his name).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
They stabbed Jon Snow to death . Don't those idiots understand that if they don't work with the wildlings, then they'll become white walkers? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. C'mon man!

Anyway, I bet Daenerys and her dragons are going to take out a bunch of white walkers in a big final battle. Dragon fire can melt stone, I'm sure it can kill the others too.

I don't think he's dead for some reason.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

Yeah I am still holding out some hope, because after he was stabbed two or three times, the chapter ended, and there was no reaction or repercussions from other characters. A big cliffhanger.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject:

For those who wish to hear a taste of Book 6, here's a video of the man himself, George RR Martin, reading a bit from the Victarion character's chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QlJblxV3QHQ#t=1795s
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
What do you guys think of the slight changes in the show? So far, it's been masterfully done imo (like Theon delivering the death blow to the man at arms, forget his name).

It's interesting how they cut characters out of the story to trim down on the cast and the time it would take to cover the huge world. For instance, Melissandra wanting to sacrifice Gendry instead of Edric Storm. I'm assuming Ser Davos is going to save Gendry now, and he'll find the Inn run by kids that way.

Also they substituted Loras Tyrell for the cripple Willas Tyrell.

The bluntness with which they've handled Loras Tyrell being gay has been really in-your-face too, whereas in the book it was extremely subtle.
OmegaPirate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

Martin has said something to the effect of "You're screwed" if he dies before the series is completed. He won't allow another writer to finish it. Kind of sucks but it is his property.

I do believe that HBO has negotiated the rights, should they choose, to finish the series even if Martin dies before Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring are published. The showrunners know most of the details of how the story will end.
OmegaPirate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I agree. Their adaptation has been terrific.
Probably the two biggest criticisms I've seen were of the character Ros and Dany's dream sequence in the Houses of the Undying. I had no problems with either change.

It has to be done right. Peter Jackson stuck very close to the source material in 'Fellowship and result was wonderful. Some of the changes he made to 'Towers and Return of the King just ruined them for me. All of the clunky dialogue they added and the changing of the characters (Faramir and the Frodo/Sam fight) was just bad. The showrunners for GOT have avoided those mistakes. Most of their added material has been very good.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Just edited the title to put the spoiler alert at the front, so the two threads would not be confused for each other. Carry on!
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I'm totally fine with - I am not as a stickler as some with the book material and am amazed they found a way to condense all the material and still tell great stories.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject:

OmegaPirate wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Martin has said something to the effect of "You're screwed" if he dies before the series is completed. He won't allow another writer to finish it. Kind of sucks but it is his property.

I do believe that HBO has negotiated the rights, should they choose, to finish the series even if Martin dies before Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring are published. The showrunners know most of the details of how the story will end.

Yeah I believe D & DB (show runners) and the head writer who wrote the episodes 4 & 5 just went to speak to George recently for more information.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
ElliotTheFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I like this thread already.

liltinybus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

I don't think he's dead, either. Or, he could be dead, but I think the Red Woman is coming around to the idea that Jon is the "chosen one." (I forget what it's called, it's been a while since I read the books, Azur Ahai or something like that)

I think she'll bring him back if he did die, by chance. George is still gonna bring him and Dany full circle, fight the others with Dany's dragons and Jon is one of the three riders, making it a song of ice (Jon) and fire (Dany) to continue the theme that started with Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Isn't the Red Wedding coming up soon? Aren't they suppose to kill Robb Stark and his momma for reneging on the deal?
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Mostly positive. I like some of the fleshed out scenes and the additional focus on non pov characters from the books. Don't like the delay in introducing the Jojens and the toning down of Arya.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject:

liltinybus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

I don't think he's dead, either. Or, he could be dead, but I think the Red Woman is coming around to the idea that Jon is the "chosen one." (I forget what it's called, it's been a while since I read the books, Azur Ahai or something like that)

I think she'll bring him back if he did die, by chance. George is still gonna bring him and Dany full circle, fight the others with Dany's dragons and Jon is one of the three riders, making it a song of ice (Jon) and fire (Dany) to continue the theme that started with Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.

If he really is dead, I couldn't forgive Martin.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Isn't the Red Wedding coming up soon? Aren't they suppose to kill Robb Stark and his momma for reneging on the deal?

My guess is the Red Wedding will be this season's finale.

Season 3 and 4 are both supposed to be based off book 3. Still a lot of material left for next season.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject:

ElliotTheFan wrote:
I like this thread already.

He does NOT sound healthy there. Dude is laboring just reaching for his paperwork.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

That's how a lot of people felt about Ned Stark being killed. I think the sense of no one being safe is part of what makes the series great. It's difficult to predict what will happen.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject:

OmegaPirate wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I agree. Their adaptation has been terrific.
Probably the two biggest criticisms I've seen were of the character Ros and Dany's dream sequence in the Houses of the Undying. I had no problems with either change.

It has to be done right. Peter Jackson stuck very close to the source material in 'Fellowship and result was wonderful. Some of the changes he made to 'Towers and Return of the King just ruined them for me. All of the clunky dialogue they added and the changing of the characters (Faramir and the Frodo/Sam fight) was just bad. The showrunners for GOT have avoided those mistakes. Most of their added material has been very good.

What was the change?

I blew through books the books in a few weeks. I'm already losing track of so many things that happened.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

That's how a lot of people felt about Ned Stark being killed. I think the sense of no one being safe is part of what makes the series great. It's difficult to predict what will happen.

It'd be the straw for me. I have to have SOMEONE to root for. First Ned, then the wedding...
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
liltinybus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

It'd be the straw for me. I have to have SOMEONE to root for. First Ned, then the wedding...

That's really the problem with the books though. They're incredibly nihilistic. And that sentiment is not reflected in the real world. Good deeds actually do get rewarded in RL but certainly not in the world of GoT. So when everyone who is decent bites the dust or receives some horrid fate the same as those who are sinister it just takes you out of it.

Unfortunately GRRM has perhaps waited too long to correct this travesty. Most artists do their best work in a twenty year time span (on average) and if the last few books are any indication he's lost the spark now. Best thing HBO can do honestly is deviate from the books in large sections as they get closer to the most recent books. The plot isn't progressing at ALL in the last books. At least not the overall arching plot that should be completed with a book series.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17
Jump to: