*** SPOILER ZONE ***Official Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread (for BOOK readers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject:

kwest80 wrote:
I heard someone take it as far as Jon, Dany and Aegon each riding one of the three dragons and taking Westeros that way but that idea seems way out there in left field...

They could skip jumping the shark and just fly right over it.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

Bump

Excerpt from the Winds of Winter

MERCY

Quote:
She woke with a gasp, not knowing who she was, or where.

The smell of blood was heavy in her nostrils… or was that her nightmare, lingering? She had dreamed of wolves again, of running through some dark pine forest with a great pack at her hells, hard on the scent of prey.

read the rest here: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

Quote:
I mentioned that this chapter had quite a history. It's true. The first draft was written more than a decade ago. Originally, it was intended to be the opening Arya chapter after the infamous "five year gap," her first appearance in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS as initially conceived. Then it was supposed to be a part of A FEAST FOR CROWS, after I abandoned the five year gap and split the books. Then it was going to be the concluding Arya chapter in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. But it seemed more like an opening chapter than a closing one, so shortly before ADWD was published my editor and I agreed to remove it from DANCE and shift it over into WINDS. Of course, it has been revised, tightened, polished, and tweaked at every step of the way, so the version on my website has some significant differences from the "five year gap" version.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/362384.html
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

I started to get interested. Then I saw that the excerpt is dated 15 months ago. That's weird, because it apparently just went up. I read a comment from someone who speculated that Martin put the excerpt up just to prove that he really is working on the book.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I started to get interested. Then I saw that the excerpt is dated 15 months ago. That's weird, because it apparently just went up. I read a comment from someone who speculated that Martin put the excerpt up just to prove that he really is working on the book.

Yeah I'm guessing that old date is from the last excerpt that they took down, and they just forgot to change the date. He just put up the Mercy chapter last month.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

He'd be done if he didn't add about half of what went into books 4/5.

Daenerys...there is another...
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

There seem to be many others, right?

Wish this was a completed series. Anticipation.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

To be honest, I've forgotten. Too much information in the books to remember it all lol.

Along that note, a reader had asked GRRM what was going on with Jeyne Westerling. Not a joke...he said he completely forgot about her. That's a sign you need to maintain focus and stop adding useless crap.

I read 1-5 over a few months so a lot of it became a blur. Who I really feel bad for are the readers that waited years from book 3 to 4/5. Ten total years waiting for THAT?! Hopefully he turns it around but 4/5 were HUGE letdowns compared to how good 3 was. 1
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

As I've said before in this thread, I suspect that GRRM has no idea how to finish this story. I think he had a plan for it, but lost control of the story in the second and third books.

I don't know if any of you ever read The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles. It has been over 30 years since I read it, but I still remember the odd way that he would talk about his characters. One of the chapters had a lament about how he had lost control of his characters and how they weren't doing what he wanted them to. One chapter late in the book started with something along the lines of "The previous chapter is what Joe Blow should have done, but instead he went and did something else."

That's sort of the feeling I get from GRRM. I suspect that he is writing the book as authentically as he can, but that is problematic when you are writing about chaos.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
focus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

To be honest, I've forgotten. Too much information in the books to remember it all lol.

Along that note, a reader had asked GRRM what was going on with Jeyne Westerling. Not a joke...he said he completely forgot about her. That's a sign you need to maintain focus and stop adding useless crap.

I read 1-5 over a few months so a lot of it became a blur. Who I really feel bad for are the readers that waited years from book 3 to 4/5. Ten total years waiting for THAT?! Hopefully he turns it around but 4/5 were HUGE letdowns compared to how good 3 was. 1

If GRRM were younger, I'd say he'd be quite capable of juggling it all. But I'm starting to grow a bit anxious as he's not exactly the picture of health and fitness at 65. Don't know how much longer he has to write at this snail's pace.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
focus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If GRRM were younger, I'd say he'd be quite capable of juggling it all. But I'm starting to grow a bit anxious as he's not exactly the picture of health and fitness at 65. Don't know how much longer he has to write at this snail's pace.

I've been telling everyone this same thing the moment I saw him in an interview. Guy appeared to be wheezing just talking.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Big episode this week, it should be the Purple Wedding, I hope they didn't change it too much and Joff still gets poisoned -the internet is gonna go crazy.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

DonMagicWand wrote:
Big episode this week, it should be the Purple Wedding, I hope they didn't change it too much and Joff still gets poisoned -the internet is gonna go crazy.

Is that so soon? With Ser Dontos so prominent last episode, maybe you are right that things are coming to that event quick. Should be interesting.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

DonMagicWand wrote:

So much speculation in the other thread. If only they knew how to read a book.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
DonMagicWand wrote:

It is kind of funny to see the wild swings and haymakers of theories the guys are throwing around in the general GOT thread.
This episode was pretty good but I was a little disappointed with the dwarf history farce. This is supposed to be the episode in which Penny and her brother were introduced riding the trained pigs. How will that play out now? That has a lot to do with the story later on.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

They changed it so much. Jamie shouldnt even be there at wedding also Reek story is messed up.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
rwongega wrote:
DonMagicWand wrote:

It is kind of funny to see the wild swings and haymakers of theories the guys are throwing around in the general GOT thread.
This episode was pretty good but I was a little disappointed with the dwarf history farce. This is supposed to be the episode in which Penny and her brother were introduced riding the trained pigs. How will that play out now? That has a lot to do with the story later on.

Like a lot of things, that back-story would be nice, but it isn't necessary for the show when you have to cut material. I don't know how important Penny is to the story anyway, other than helping to build a character arc for Tyrion. They might just cut her character out altogether.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
rwongega wrote:
DonMagicWand wrote:

Like a lot of things, that back-story would be nice, but it isn't necessary for the show when you have to cut material. I don't know how important Penny is to the story anyway, other than helping to build a character arc for Tyrion. They might just cut her character out altogether.

Do we all agree that Grandma Tyrell and Littlefinger conspired to kill Joffrey? The book spelled it out that way.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Oh man, I really want to lay a truth bomb on Fan0 ( http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=5763336#5763336 ), the ignoramus who once wrote this:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=5230309#5230309

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
One thing that's annoying for me is how many minutes they are taking up with added scenes that weren't in the book. This is a long book, there's plenty of material to use, and they're putting so many pointless scenes in. Makes me wonder if they have some sort of obligation to give each individual actor their screen time.

(bleep) the book.

To be honest, I have feelings of both pity and contempt towards those who watch GoT, cry when people discuss the books, and have little to no reverence for the source material. It's like watching a big moron bang his head against a wall to try to get into a room when the open door's about 3 feet to the right.

Quote:
Do we all agree that Grandma Tyrell and Littlefinger conspired to kill Joffrey? The book spelled it out that way.

I concur unless HBO had a brain fart (unlikely since they aren't CBS producers).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
rwongega wrote:
DonMagicWand wrote:

I'm hoping it's not that drastic. My hope is that they have a way of introducing a character without the backstory. Could even see it in a mention on the side when Penny meets Tyrion.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:

If that was the case it either went completely over my head or I forgot about it. I thought it was completely Littlefinger's move because he thought it would position himself better in a place of power and because he has a fascination with Catelyn Stark and wanted to both protect and knock boots with Sansa (who Joffrey treated as his sadistic play thing, and who reminded Littlefinger of Cat). Also if Littlefinger somehow got the Lannisters out of the picture, he could reveal Sansa as his wife and then control Winterfell and the Vale of Arryn.

Neither the Queen of Thornes or Littlefinger were POV characters, so it would be very difficult to know if they schemed together, and what they schemed about, unless Littlefinger told Sansa (a POV character) which I don't remember happening.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
They changed it so much. Jamie shouldnt even be there at wedding also Reek story is messed up.

Jamie being there or not is really relevant in the grand scheme of things. During Joffrey's TV show death, two people made a move to save him, Jamie and Cersie aka, his mother and father. That was the relevance in putting Jamie at the scene. Made for good TV.

Even before this season (outside of the obvious one in Jeyna being switched up), there were a few changes. Some for dramatic affect while others were to expedite things for the screen. Remember Theon beheading Rodrik Cassel for example? Never happend in the book. The inclusion of that scene was fantastic. It gave a visual and absolutely visceral scene that showed to the audience that Theon both literally and metaphorically cut his ties with the Starks. None of the changes ever impacted the over-arcing storyline.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Yeah absolutely no one (except 24) is thinking about Littlefinger or Varys as suspects, who are two of the sneakiest characters in the series. I can't say I blame them though because Littlefinger isn't getting much screen time in the show.

I was tempted to just say "No it wasn't the cake that was poisoned, it was the wine." This is such a pointless distinction to theorize about, but I bet people would get pissed if I said that based on having read the books.

rwongega wrote:
Oh man, I really want to lay a truth bomb on Fan0 ( http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=5763336#5763336 ), the ignoramus who once wrote this:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
One thing that's annoying for me is how many minutes they are taking up with added scenes that weren't in the book. This is a long book, there's plenty of material to use, and they're putting so many pointless scenes in. Makes me wonder if they have some sort of obligation to give each individual actor their screen time.

(bleep) the book.

To be honest, I have feelings of both pity and contempt towards those who watch GoT, cry when people discuss the books, and have little to no reverence for the source material. It's like watching a big moron bang his head against a wall to try to get into a room when the open door's about 3 feet to the right.

Oh man. Even though I didn't say any spoilers, just uttering the word "book" in that thread made some people get really touchy. I'll note that I did say that before this thread was started. But yeah, you're right. If you love the story and characters so much, and hate spoilers, why not read the books? Are people that allergic to reading in this digital age?

Last edited by Christopher C on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Yeah absolutely no one is thinking about Littlefinger or Varys as suspects, who are two of the sneakiest characters in the series. I can't say I blame them though because Littlefinger isn't getting much screen time in the show.

I was tempted to just say "No it wasn't the cake that was poisoned, it was the wine." This is such a pointless distinction to theorize about, but I bet people would get pissed if I said that based on having read the books.

rwongega wrote:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

(bleep) the book.

Oh man. Even though I didn't say any spoilers, just uttering the word "book" in that thread made some people get really touchy. I'll note that I did say that before this thread was started. But yeah, you're right. If you love the story and characters so much, and hate spoilers, why not read the books? Are people that allergic to reading in this digital age?

People get touchy because even though you don't do such a thing, there are a LOT of people who just can't help themselves with spoilers. Even when not trying to overtly spoil a story, they'll drop hints here and there while being smarmy to boot. That's just as irritating.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
People get touchy because even though you don't do such a thing, there are a LOT of people who just can't help themselves with spoilers. Even when not trying to overtly spoil a story, they'll drop hints here and there while being smarmy to boot. That's just as irritating.

Yeah, good point.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

I don't remember where Jaime was during the wedding. Doesn't he leave to look for the now missing Sansa Stark? And he also goes to the Riverlands where the Freys have captured Catelyn's brother? Then he comes back to King's Landing and frees Tyrion from his cell, right? I read the books a while ago and don't remember the timetable on this stuff.

The only thing I remembered being off with Jaime in the show vs. the book was that he didn't train against Bronn, he trained against the executioner Ilyn Payne because his tongue was cut off, and therefore he couldn't tell anyone how inept Jaime was at fighting (and I'm guessing Payne is illiterate too).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17
Jump to: