*** SPOILER ZONE ***Official Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread (for BOOK readers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
So last night the old man in the tree ... he said Bran won't walk again but he will "FLY".

I know Martin is still writing the books but do you guys think Bran will ultimately use his "Warg" powers to take over one of the Dragons? Specifically the big black one.

GRRM seems determined to avoid putting anything fun or cool into the books. Besides, Bran is a wolf, not a dragon. Jon Snow may be a different ballgame. Still, GRRM would find a way to make it un-fun, like Jon Snow in dragon form eating all of his friends on the watch and then choking to death, with the dragon then becoming undead and hunting down Arya and Sansa for some reason.

Yeah, yeah, I know. As I said, I still have PTSD from reading all of those books back to back. That's an awful lot of nihilism to absorb in a short period of time. My body is still purging it.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't expecting the children of the forest thing to happen yet. Didn't that happen in book 5?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
So last night the old man in the tree ... he said Bran won't walk again but he will "FLY".

I know Martin is still writing the books but do you guys think Bran will ultimately use his "Warg" powers to take over one of the Dragons? Specifically the big black one.

GRRM seems determined to avoid putting anything fun or cool into the books. Besides, Bran is a wolf, not a dragon. Jon Snow may be a different ballgame. Still, GRRM would find a way to make it un-fun, like Jon Snow in dragon form eating all of his friends on the watch and then choking to death, with the dragon then becoming undead and hunting down Arya and Sansa for some reason.

Yeah, yeah, I know. As I said, I still have PTSD from reading all of those books back to back. That's an awful lot of nihilism to absorb in a short period of time. My body is still purging it.

to the bold part. Come to think about, it's like GRRM really hates Sansa, maybe she's based on his ex or something?
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

to the bold part. Come to think about, it's like GRRM really hates Sansa, maybe she's based on his ex or something?

Aeneas has been enjoying a bit too much of the milk of the poppy.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Actually, if GRRM ever finishes the books (big "if" there), it wouldn't shock me if Sansa winds up the Queen or Empress or whatever. It would be just GRRM's style to make the most worthless character in the story come out as the big winner.

Yeah, I know. Give me some more of that milk.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Actually, if GRRM ever finishes the books (big "if" there), it wouldn't shock me if Sansa winds up the Queen or Empress or whatever. It would be just GRRM's style to make the most worthless character in the story come out as the big winner.

Here's what will happen:

Jon Snow and Tyrion Lanister find out they're Targaryens. Both of them + Dany ride the 3 dragons and kill the others, but die on the process. Tommem chokes on Margaery's breasts when they finally do it and dies too. That'd make the Iron Throne open for whoever wants to grab it. Jaime kills Cersei (prophecy) and makes a move for the throne. There's no King so there's no Kingsguard, so he takes the throne and marries Sansa, now heir to Winterfell and the North to solidify his claim. Littlefinger arranges the marriage and the Vale's support, so he's the new Hand of the King.

Yeah, I'm down with some milk of the poppy too
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Here's what will happen:

Jon Snow and Tyrion Lanister find out they're Targaryens. Both of them + Dany ride the 3 dragons and kill the others, but die on the process. Tommem chokes on Margaery's breasts when they finally do it and dies too. That'd make the Iron Throne open for whoever wants to grab it. Jaime kills Cersei (prophecy) and makes a move for the throne. There's no King so there's no Kingsguard, so he takes the throne and marries Sansa, now heir to Winterfell and the North to solidify his claim. Littlefinger arranges the marriage and the Vale's support, so he's the new Hand of the King.

Yeah, I'm down with some milk of the poppy too

Can't think of better ways to die.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
pissedmeoff1012
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

haven't read any of the posts above...but someone at work just spoiled who Lady Stoneheart it...and why she was not able to be in the finale because she is filming 24. I made the connection right away! Arrrrrgh! LOL
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject:

pissedmeoff1012 wrote:
haven't read any of the posts above...but someone at work just spoiled who Lady Stoneheart it...and why she was not able to be in the finale because she is filming 24. I made the connection right away! Arrrrrgh! LOL

Your screen name fits this moment.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject:

I was disappointed in the finale. Should have had way more buildup with Tyrion and Tywin and Shae, which I was looking forward to all season. Instead they rushed through it. Tyrion and Jamie scene changed a lot to oh Ill miss you brother instead of the book version.

They did a good job with Stannis and Jon Snow, and Mance. Felt momentous, a big shift. And Brienne and the Hound, and Hound and Arya was good. I expected more impact from one of the biggest scenes in GoT Tyrion's revenge and transformation, like the Red Wedding. They could have spent more time with Tyrion and Shae, or Tyrion and Jamie, and maybe because of those something was missing from Tyrion and Tywin. Or maybe Tyrion was not angry enough in especially that scene. He was betrayed and he looked like he was weepy instead of angry.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
I was disappointed in the finale. Should have had way more buildup with Tyrion and Tywin and Shae, which I was looking forward to all season. Instead they rushed through it. Tyrion and Jamie scene changed a lot to oh Ill miss you brother instead of the book version.

They did a good job with Stannis and Jon Snow, and Mance. Felt momentous, a big shift. And Brienne and the Hound, and Hound and Arya was good. I expected more impact from one of the biggest scenes in GoT Tyrion's revenge and transformation, like the Red Wedding. They could have spent more time with Tyrion and Shae, or Tyrion and Jamie, and maybe because of those something was missing from Tyrion and Tywin. Or maybe Tyrion was not angry enough in especially that scene. He was betrayed and he looked like he was weepy instead of angry.

My friend was bothered as you by the Tyrion/Tywin/Shae scene. For me it feet neatly into a show context and with how much they made Shae to mean to Tyrion.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject:

The whole Brienne kills the Hound scene was too much of a departure, though it compacted her storyline a grest deal from her wanderings in the book.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:

Confirmed? Lady Stoneheart maybe, probably, most likely, won't appear
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Confirmed? Lady Stoneheart maybe, probably, most likely, won't appear

Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

Bump

so seems like no Aegon and Arianne

They are giving hints about R+L=J, they mentioned Rhaegar twice at the same episode.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Bump

They are giving hints about R+L=J, they mentioned Rhaegar twice at the same episode.

Why no Aegon? I only watched the first two thus far. Did I miss something?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Bump

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

Also, at this point, I think we can all agree that the 5th/6th season will probably air before the 6th book. Certainly, the series will finish before the release of the 7th. Can we presume that if certain stories are being cut out of the show than they are not relevant to the large story arc?

GRRM/show creators have flat out said that the TV show will give away the ending - regardless of whether or not GRRM is done.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Palin wrote:
Bump

Personally, it was bordering on GRRM's biggest jump the shark moment.

"You are not the only Targaeryan left. There is another!". So, so stupid. We went from the masterfully crafted first 3 books to this point. These writesr can't seem to help themselves (I'm also looking right at you Mr. Goodkind).

It's a toss-up between that story arc and the God-forsaken Stoneheart. Thankfully it seems the show writers are trimming some of the globs of fat from the series. On a tangent, GRRM was asked about why Jeyne Westerling hasn't appeared in the books. He flat-out admitted that he completely forgot about the character. Dude's spread himself so thin, he's forgetting about characters!

Trim the fat and finish it already.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject:

^I thought the arc was a stretch as well. I guess if the show writers are ignoring it then either it doesn't figure into the complete end-game or the writers feel like they have a better/more coherent path there.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
^I thought the arc was a stretch as well. I guess if the show writers are ignoring it then either it doesn't figure into the complete end-game or the writers feel like they have a better/more coherent path there.

Btw, was it confirmed that Mance died in the books? I had heard (I don't' remember from where) that there was a rumor floating about that it was a fake Mance that was executed.

One thing we can guess with these omissions as book readers is that they're probably irrelevant to the end game. Good to know George!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Btw, was it confirmed that Mance died in the books? I had heard (I don't' remember from where) that there was a rumor floating about that it was a fake Mance that was executed.

One thing we can guess with these omissions as book readers is that they're probably irrelevant to the end game. Good to know George!

I don't think so - iirc, Melissandre used her magic to enchant some poor wildling to look like Mance.

Guess it doesn't matter in the end. Really glad all that ink was wasted on him!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I don't think so - iirc, Melissandre used her magic to enchant some poor wildling to look like Mance.

Guess it doesn't matter in the end. Really glad all that ink was wasted on him!

George doing work!
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

From GRRM's blog on Mar. 27th, 2015

Quote:
It is possible that I may withdraw from some other announced appearances later in the year... most likely in the summer and fall... but if I do, it won't be from cons where I am the featured guest of honor. I would prefer not to have to cancel anything, but that depends on how the work is going.

And by "work," I mean WINDS OF WINTER, of course... but not exclusively WINDS OF WINTER. When I say, "my plate is full," I don't just mean with WINDS. I am still editing the latest Wild Cards volume, HIGH STAKES. I have an overall deal with HBO, and three new television concepts in various stages of development, with a variety of collaborators and partners. I am consulting on a couple of videogames. There's the Wild Cards movie at Universal, where I'm a producer. And I've recently formed a new production company to make low budget short films based on a trio of classic short stories by... well, no, not yet, that would be telling. Premature telling.

(Many of these other projects may come to nothing. Such is the dance of development as they do it in Hollywood. If anything ever actually comes to fruition, you will read about it here. Till then, don't hold your breath).

Anyway, I'm busy. But please note, most of these other projects involve me editing, producing, consulting, or financing. The writing I'm doing is all on WINDS OF WINTER.

Speaking of which... after wrestling with it for a month or so, I've decided not to script an episode for season six of GAME OF THRONES. Writing a script takes me three weeks, minimum, and longer when it is not a straight adaptation from the novels. And really, it would cost me more time than that, since I have never been good at changing gears from one medium to another and back again. Writing a season six script would cost me a month's work on WINDS, and maybe as much as six weeks, and I cannot afford that. With David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, and Bryan Cogman on board, the scriptwriting chores for season six should be well covered. My energies are best devoted to WINDS.

So... back to it.

https://grrm.livejournal.com/415405.html
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject:

So, basically, GoT will be done before Winds is finished. Got it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17
Jump to: