*** SPOILER ZONE ***Official Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread (for BOOK readers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject:

If you're a fan of ASOIAF predictions/theories (like me): LINK

If you like the video, check out some of his old ones.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
If you're a fan of ASOIAF predictions/theories (like me): LINK

If you like the video, check out some of his old ones.

Thanks! I saw his older ones. He does great work...good to know he's doing one on the trailer.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Just finished the 2nd book based on your recommendation. Rothfuss is a poet with words. Fantastic! Such a unique style...he doesn't spend ages with wordy, world building yet his Four Corners felt so real and colored. I felt like I was there with Kvothe.

I'll finish out Asoiaf but I'm actually just doing it to see it through. Feels like a slog in comparison.

I'm glad you enjoyed NOTW and WMF. They are fantastic. I'm eagerly awaiting the third installment, which Rothfuss is currently editing. I don't know if you heard about the spin-off novella he wrote called The Slow Regard of Silent Things, about Auri. I haven't read it, so I can't really recommend it to you.

If you want to jump back into the Song of Ice and Fire world, but are frustrated with Feast or Dance, you should give A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms a try. It is truly great. It is an illustrated collection of three prequel novellas that GRRM wrote in 1998, 2003, and 2010.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Just finished the 2nd book based on your recommendation. Rothfuss is a poet with words. Fantastic! Such a unique style...he doesn't spend ages with wordy, world building yet his Four Corners felt so real and colored. I felt like I was there with Kvothe.

I'll finish out Asoiaf but I'm actually just doing it to see it through. Feels like a slog in comparison.

I'm glad you enjoyed NOTW and WMF. They are fantastic. I'm eagerly awaiting the third installment, which Rothfuss is currently editing. I don't know if you heard about the spin-off novella he wrote called The Slow Regard of Silent Things, about Auri. I haven't read it, so I can't really recommend it to you.

If you want to jump back into the Song of Ice and Fire world, but are frustrated with Feast or Dance, you should give A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms a try. It is truly great. It is an illustrated collection of three prequel novellas that GRRM wrote in 1998, 2003, and 2010.

I have it for the Kindle. I'll get around to it soon enough. Have you rad the Stormlight Archives? It's Sanderson's new epic...2 of 10 books are out. So, so good. Every decade seems to get a new mega fantasy series and I think Stormlight is set to own the next 10.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject:

^ I have not, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject:

I really don't have a problem with GRRM's writing pace. I want a polished, well-thought out product, than an obviously rushed one.
this especially after how the HP series ended with a dud.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

I'm with you, Drifts, but I'm not sure it works that way with GRRM. The more time he takes, the more he seems to meander.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
I really don't have a problem with GRRM's writing pace. I want a polished, well-thought out product, than an obviously rushed one.

Problem with that is GRRM looks like he's one foot already in the grave. He's not a young man and if he doesn't get busy, the final books will either be missing or written by someone else.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Problem with that is GRRM looks like he's one foot already in the grave. He's not a young man and if he doesn't get busy, the final books will either be missing or written by someone else.

And not to sound dickish either but HP series isn't even in the realm of fantasy as some of the series being discussed here. It should be compared more to Narnia than Asoiaf--intro to fantasy 101. Rothfuss' prose runs circles around both.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject:

From the GoT show thread:
jonnybravo wrote:
Christopher C wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
We're past the books in every story arc at this point. Books ended with Jon stabbed.

That's not exactly true, but I won't get into it in this thread.

Can you post it in the book thread? I'm curious which part I'm missing (4/5 is a bit of a haze admittedly).

4 and 5 is a haze for me too. I just re-read the last couple of pages from book 5, Varys is back in King's Landing where he kills Kevan Lannister (and Grand Maester Pycelle) in order to protect the realm from Tommen/Cersei and help the interests of the previously revealed Aegon Targaryen. I have no idea if the show is even going to introduce Aegon, and in the books I don't think Varys even left King's Landing with Tyrion. The thing is there is a lot of differences in the books and the show, so it is difficult to know if the show is going to introduce story-lines from the books later or just cut them out.

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember story-line in the books being told in Oldtown where people become maesters, maybe after Samwell arrived there. And I definitely remember there being more of the Iron Islands stuff being told in the books, and it looks like this season is going to get into that. There's probably other things, but it's been a long time since I read 4 and 5.

Last edited by Christopher C on Mon May 02, 2016 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
ainsley
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Christopher C wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
We're past the books in every story arc at this point. Books ended with Jon stabbed.

Can you post it in the book thread? I'm curious which part I'm missing (4/5 is a bit of a haze admittedly).

4 and 5 is a haze for me too. I just re-read the last couple of pages from book 5, and that is when Varys is back in King's Landing and he kills Kevan Lannister in order to protect the realm from Tommen/Cersei and help the interests of the previously revealed Aegon Targaryen. I have no idea if the show is even going to introduce Aegon, and in the books I don't think Varys even left King's Landing with Tyrion. The thing is there is a lot of differences in the books and the show, so it is difficult to know if the show is going to introduce story-lines from the books later or just cut them out.

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember story-line in the books being told in Oldtown where people become maesters, maybe after Samwell arrived there. And I definitely remember there being more of the Iron Islands stuff being told in the books, and it looks like this season is going to get into that. There's probably other things, but it's been a long time since I read 4 and 5.

I believe Arya's story arc in the show isn't caught up with the books yet either
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Christopher C wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

4 and 5 is a haze for me too. I just re-read the last couple of pages from book 5, Varys is back in King's Landing where he kills Kevan Lannister (and Grand Maester Pycelle) in order to protect the realm from Tommen/Cersei and help the interests of the previously revealed Aegon Targaryen. I have no idea if the show is even going to introduce Aegon, and in the books I don't think Varys even left King's Landing with Tyrion. The thing is there is a lot of differences in the books and the show, so it is difficult to know if the show is going to introduce story-lines from the books later or just cut them out.

Thank you bud!
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject:

So the next episode is called "Oathbreaker" and it's supposed to feature major Bran flashbacks.

Many speculate the tower of joy event, and that is probably true. But what if "Oathbreaker" means we'll get to see Jaime Lannister kingslaying the Mad King?

And if they're going to flashback that, it only means there's something hidden there. Maybe the revelation that Tyrion is actually a Targaeryan? They gave us some hints on that on his sequence with the dragons.
FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Anyone else hoping for Sandor Clegane to come back? I certainly hope so!

If I recall correctly, in the books the "Hound" is dead but Brienne and Pod run into a monestary of some sorts where Hound is buried but a gravedigger fitting his description is seen.

As for the Oldtown scene in the books - A faceless man kills someone there, right? If so, perhaps that's Arya's return to Westeros?
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
So the next episode is called "Oathbreaker" and it's supposed to feature major Bran flashbacks.

Many speculate the tower of joy event, and that is probably true. But what if "Oathbreaker" means we'll get to see Jaime Lannister kingslaying the Mad King?

And if they're going to flashback that, it only means there's something hidden there. Maybe the revelation that Tyrion is actually a Targaeryan? They gave us some hints on that on his sequence with the dragons.

Or Jon Snow no longer being a part of the Night's Watch? Remember the Oath he took?
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A Taste of This, A Taste of That
May. 10th, 2016 at 11:03 PM
[...]
[...]we've also changed the WINDS OF WINTER sample on my website, replacing the Alayne chapter that's been there for the past year with one featuring Arianne Martell. (Some of you may have heard me read this one at cons).

Have a read at: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

You want to know what the Sand Snakes, Prince Doran, Areo Hotah, Ellaria Sand, Darkstar, and the rest will be up to in WINDS OF WINTER? Quite a lot, actually. The sample will give you a taste. For the rest, you will need to wait.

And no, just to spike any (bleep) rumors, changing the sample chapter does NOT mean I am done. See the icon up above? Monkey is still on my back... but he's growing, he is, and one day...

http://grrm.livejournal.com/487298.html
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject:

You know, I really sort of dread the next book. I guess I'm committed to reading it. I've plowed through, what, four or five thousand pages? But at this point, I'm not sure that this series is really even good, much less great. I have a sense that the series jumped the shark at the red wedding. I'm tempting to cop out and just watch the HBO series.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
You know, I really sort of dread the next book. I guess I'm committed to reading it. I've plowed through, what, four or five thousand pages? But at this point, I'm not sure that this series is really even good, much less great. I have a sense that the series jumped the shark at the red wedding. I'm tempting to cop out and just watch the HBO series.

I'm leaning this way too but I'll probably end up finishing it out just because.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

R + L = Jon (Ned Stark) + Meera (Howland Reed)

Yes TWINS! Makes sense right? Both were at the Tower of Joy and the only survivors? Better to split up the twins then to risk them both being caught and killed.

This whole Bran the Time Traveler .... how is it in the books?

Seems like Bran is the KEY to all of GoT.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
R + L = Jon (Ned Stark) + Meera (Howland Reed)

Yes TWINS! Makes sense right? Both were at the Tower of Joy and the only survivors? Better to split up the twins then to risk them both being caught and killed.

This whole Bran the Time Traveler .... how is it in the books?

Seems like Bran is the KEY to all of GoT.

The Bran story arc is pass the books at this point. We're as much in the dark as everyone else.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'm leaning this way too but I'll probably end up finishing it out just because.

Same. Already put in the time to read the previous ones, might as well finish it up (if it'll ever get finished).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Bit my tongue thus far. Let me give the caveat that I have thoroughly enjoyed the pace of this season and seeing a lot of payoffs come to fruition. With that said, the dialogue has taken a nose dive. Maybe, I'm just a curmudgeoun at this point, but boy is the difference in writing between a mastercraft fantasy novelist and a team of tv writers glaring.

"See that sword there? It's name is Heartsbane..."

"You're either a liar or an idiot".

"I don't like seeing bad men doing blah blah to good people and get away with it".

"What's happening?" ..."He's beaten' us, that's what's happening".

"They have no idea what we're going to do to them!"

I could go on and on. Some characters who at the very core of their being were gifted with silver tongues reduced to lines like that...

It's so shallowy written compared to the lines pulled from the book. It delivers the message but doesn't have nearly the weight or style of Martin. I shouldn't expect it to but I guess I just had to get it off my chest.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't even think that side mission to his parents' castle happened in the books. If I remember correctly, they just went strait to Oldtown with a dying Aemon Targaryen. I guess they wanted to set up Sam getting the Valyrian steel blade for the inevitable battle with white walkers. Maybe Sam will use his maester skills to heal Jorah Mormont. Then they will meet up with Jon Snow, who has Jorah's dad's Valyrian steel blade, Longclaw. Jon will give him the sword after Jorah tells Jon he will help him team up with Daenerys. Then Sam will give Heartsbane to Jon and bond with Dany about the wise old Targaryen at the wall who mentored him.

Dang, that all fits too well, and I feel like I just typed out spoilers
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Love how they wrapped up years of blue balls with Coldhands into 2 scenes with Uncle Benjen. Damn it feels good to see positive things happen for the Starks.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Love how they wrapped up years of blue balls with Coldhands into 2 scenes with Uncle Benjen.

Quote:
Damn it feels good to see positive things happen for the Starks.

Yeah it does. Lets just hope the last two direwolves survive as well. I seem to remember, from the books, Arya dreaming that she was Nymeria hunting in the woods. Maybe they'll find each other using that connection when Arya gets back to Westeros.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17
Jump to: