Has it crossed your mind that our guys could look as hapless as the Spurs next year, unless they get younger?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Has it crossed your mind that our guys could look as hapless as the Spurs next year, unless they get younger?

Next year, the Lakers will struggle against a list that is long...
Starting with...

OKC
Golden State
Denver
Memphis
Houston
The Clipps
Phoenix
In fact the only team in the west the Lakers may be
able to deal with is San Antonio, especially if they don't
use one of that core of Duncan, Parker, or Ginoboli to get younger.

The beginning of a new era is now underway...

I see 8th as being only a possibility next year provided that teams like Dallas, Sac, Portland, and especially Utah don't improve...
If Minny gets their premier forward back, suddenly they are in the mix...

Scary stuff...
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure a lot of scenarios have been discussed around here already.

And what does hapless mean?

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
hap·less
/ˈhaplis/
Adjective
(esp. of a person) Unfortunate.
Synonyms
unfortunate - unlucky - ill-fated - unhappy - wretched

Unless he meant halpless. Halp?
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject:

The Spurs? Perhaps you mentioned the wrong team?
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject:

Nahtanoj wrote:
Quote:
hap·less
/ˈhaplis/
Adjective
Synonyms

Weird.

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
Isaiah
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Las Vegas (formerly from Metro Manila, Philippines)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject:

hap·less
/ˈhaplis/
Adjective
Synonyms
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject:

Halp me Obiwankenobi.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject:

Yes, if they don't pick up some young guys they will be toast. With D'antoni back and the 2014/2015 plan, they will not get far already IMO. If they keep the old role players around Kobe, Pau, and Dwight, then they have no shot.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject:

Why is Phoenix there? Do you expect them to make the playoffs or is that a list of teams that will beat us in the season? Cause I don't see Phoenix in the playoffs at all, 0 chance.

And you're right we're toast if we don't go younger. Metta, Nash, AND Pau can't be our starters next season. All three have to either go or get benched.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Has it crossed your mind that our guys could look as hapless as the Spurs next year, unless they get younger?

THE_SHOES wrote:
Starting with...

OKC
Golden State
Denver
Memphis
Houston
The Clipps
Phoenix

I see 8th as being only a possibility next year provided that teams like Dallas, Sac, Portland, and especially Utah don't improve...

Scary stuff...

IF the Lakers don't retool we're not going far next year either.

The Spurs have found a way to continue to stay competitive under Pop and Parker is still young. Pop is a different coach, he has no problem sitting Duncan or Manu if need be and they know and accept it. Most Diva's would have a fit....

Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject:

"The collective-bargaining agreement really limits how we can add to the team. We get a limited number of exceptions," Kupchak said. "Probably the most widely used exception would be the veteran's minimum. It's hard to find a young player that would do that because if it's a younger player, he's probably not going to take the veteran's minimum. And if he did, he's probably not good enough to play.

"As much as I'd love to sit here and say we're going to get young, athletic players that can really shoot the ball at the veteran's minimum and they’re going to be 24, 25 years old, it's probably not realistic. You're probably going to end up looking at a veteran player who's older and maybe has a high level of skill and a higher level of basketball IQ but he may not be as athletic as he once was."
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Has it crossed your mind that our guys could look as hapless as the Spurs next year, unless they get younger?

THE_SHOES wrote:
Starting with...

OKC
Golden State
Denver
Memphis
Houston
The Clipps
Phoenix

Scary stuff...

I see it playing out under two possible scenarios. The biggest unknown is how Kobe responds to surgery and rehab, but we'll shelve that in an effort to simplify. Conceivably the Lakers could compete for a championship next season with minor tweaks, but that depends on the joint probability of Kobe, Nash and Pau staying healthy and beating Father Time. I don't see it as a likely outcome either.

There's a plan in place Shoes, and that is to dissolve the team through contractual expiration. The front office won't mess with that plan. They won't trade Pau for anything other than a very good young prospect with at least a couple of years left on a rookie contract, or a middling first round pick plus cap space. The smart move is to not force the issue by taking back a bad contract and a high quality role player or two. That would ensure a "San Antonio" finish (best case actually).

Don't expect big changes Shoes. Here's how I see it panning out:

An amnesty waiver or cap space driven trade would be a vote of no confidence by the front office, hardly the message you want to send to Dwight before he's re-signed. Pau will only be traded for cap space if Dwight quickly re-signs and a good quality prospect is dangled with cap space. Don't bet on it.

They will try trading Pau during the regular season if they don't think Kobe will be a factor this season. The problem is that they probably won't get a cap space driven trade given the size of Pau's contract and the fact that teams have far less cap space during the regular season versus during the offseason. A blown financial opportunity, but perhaps the front office should take a hit for the sake of pleasing the brass at Time Warner Cable and the silently suffering season ticket holders.

The big change will come during this season and next. We won't likely bomb and get a franchise player in the lottery, and we're draft pick poor. The best shot for the front office is to hunt for free agents. Adopt a college strategy: Get the best (and most charismatic) coach that money can buy, sell the Lakers tradition, the Los Angeles locale and pray it's enough to land a franchise player.

In the meantime I want Mitch to do something the Lakers haven't been able to do, and that is to identify and aggressively chase those free agents who best compliment our weaknesses. Our free agent signings for the most part have been sorry, and it saddens me that they've turned the scouting department into a family reunion and ignore all the advanced analytic tools that can assist them in targeting specific free agents.
thedude1977
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject:

I wish we looked as hapless as the Spurs.
thedude1977
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject:

I wish we looked as hapless as the Spurs.
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject:

Next year?

I thought we already had much less hap than the Spurs this year
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject:

Yeah I think the Lakers are in a tough spot, next year might be a throw away year, really depends on our signings and health, until Kobe and Gasol primarily come off the books it's a tough situation, I mean Pau is making the same amount as the 4 time league MVP and really the best player in the league at the moment, which is pretty crazy
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject:

Hapsburg Empire.

All things must come to an end.

Signed, hapless.
soonjos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject:

Funny how everyone wants all of this retooling to team. How? 50mil in 2 guys. Need to sign dh. There's our cap
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject:

we already struggled against those teams incluing the Spurs this year. This team needs a big overhawl of young talent infusion at the wings and backcourt. Until then we will be mediocre, don't care how great Kobe is and if Howard is back at 100% WE NEED YOUTH!
soonjos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
we already struggled against those teams incluing the Spurs this year. This team needs a big overhawl of young talent infusion at the wings and backcourt. Until then we will be mediocre, don't care how great Kobe is and if Howard is back at 100% WE NEED YOUTH!
which is leagues hottest commodity and not easily had (talent wise).
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject:

soonjos wrote:
Funny how everyone wants all of this retooling to team. How? 50mil in 2 guys. Need to sign dh. There's our cap

Kobe is not getting $30 million a year (or anything remotely close to it) after next season.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject:

Who cares what word he used the sentiment is still there....We have a very, very old team right now.

I trust the FO will make moves over the offseason to put us in a better position for the future (especially depending on how Kobe's rehab is going)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject:

I'd rather be crappy next year, and save $$$ for 2014 and get a higher draft pick and salary cap space to sign free agents or be active on the S&T market (plus we get full use of bi annual and Mid-level exceptions).
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject:

Like seriously next year is gonna be tough unless we pull some amazing trade. Looking at our roster what players can we say are our (starting positions) of the future? We only have Dwight well for now, he can bolt any minute. Is Clark our SF/PF of the future? I don't think so. Is Hill our PF of the future? Nahh. Every team has at least 2 or 3 guys that they can say that about their players. We might have none, 0, none.

Is there a way we can fill one position this summer? Tyreke, Jennings, Josh Smith, and all those guys are close to impossible. Only way we could get a guy for the future is through the draft and I don't know if any team would give up a Top 10 draft pick for Pau or anyone else on the roster. Maybe Minny, with Pau for Derrick Williams + their pick and draft Shabazz? Do we fill two of those spots with them? Is Derrick Williams and Shabazz our PF/SF of the future?

I really want to see a young up-and-coming team I'm tired of this slow unathletic old team. Pau, Nash, and Metta can't be our starters, they either have to get traded or get benched.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject:

Nahtanoj wrote:
Quote:
hap·less
/ˈhaplis/
Adjective
Synonyms

No, I meant hapless, and in every since of the term too...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17
Jump to: