A "30 for 30" film on Pistons' Bad Boys in the works

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: A "30 for 30" film on Pistons' Bad Boys in the works

http://www.freep.com/article/20130515/SPORTS03/305150111

Quote:
It looks like the Bad Boys will be the subject of an ESPN retrospective.

ESPN spokesperson Jennifer J. Cingari confirmed that a “30 for 30” documentary on the notorious Pistons squads that won two world titles and battled for Eastern Conference supremacy in the late 1980s and early 90s is “in the works.”

“A ‘30 for 30’ on the Bad Boys is in the works, but we don't have an air date or a film summary yet,” she said in an e-mail to the Free Press today.

The news should be exciting to Pistons fans, who have been clamoring for a documentary on that era of Pistons basketball since ESPN started airing the documentaries in October 2009.

The award-winning series has featured looks at the career of two-sport athlete Bo Jackson, basketball Hall of Famer Michael Jordan’s brief flirtation with minor-league baseball and other notable sports stories since ESPN was formed in 1979, hence the “30 for 30” title.

The Pistons have been approached by producers, but the project is still in the planning stages.
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject:

I feel as if the Pistons are unfairly portrayed in a negative light
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject:

pistons stole our 89 championship
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject:

If they're doing that, they should do a Showtime version.

The best documentary I've seen was The Association narrated by Andy Garcia, which chronicled a part of the Lakers' 2010 championship season.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject:

ESPN will find a way to make this 30/30 all about Michael Jordan.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

magic's and scott's injuries stole that 89 title
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

We are gonna hear about that Laimbeer call on Kareem in Gm 7, though, and all that BS about how that one call decided the series in the Lakers' favor.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject:

could one imagine the amount of flagrant fouls and suspensions these guys would get today???
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

We are gonna hear about that Laimbeer call on Kareem in Gm 7, though, and all that BS about how that one call decided the series in the Lakers' favor.

I mean if that play happened to our squad, trust me, we'd probably complain as well. And it was at the end of Game 6 with the Pistons up 102-101. There really wasn't enough contact on that play to justify and blow from the ref but you know ...... Stern wanted that game 7
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

http://www.wxyz.com/sports/video-traile ... on-pistons

Quote:
The Bad Boys are getting the '30 for 30' treatment later this month, and ESPN has released the first look at the documentary.

The tagline should catch any Detroit Pistons fan: "What if I told you, 'Sometimes, you gotta be bad to be good?"

'Bad Boys' premieres on ESPN on April 17 at 8 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Q_JCC4LUAY
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject:

A bad pass away from winning the east three years straight. Can't wait to hear about the walking off the court after being swept by the Bulls.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Anyone check out that 30 for 30?

Those were the days.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Or work in Lebron scoring the last 25 points against the Pistons in the Cavs game.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Anyone check out that 30 for 30?

Those were the days.

I saw most of it. Until I saw the footage, I'd forgotten how many cheap shots those guys took. The documentary tries to make them sympathetic, but I wasn't sold.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I mean if that play happened to our squad, trust me, we'd probably complain as well. And it was at the end of Game 6 with the Pistons up 102-101. There really wasn't enough contact on that play to justify and blow from the ref but you know ...... Stern wanted that game 7

Turned out to be right. They all whined about how they got robbed. (Violins, tearing up).

It was a reputation call at worst. There was a bit of contact, not zero as Detroit claims. Not a great deal of contact, true, but definitely something every fan in the league has seen refs call in the favor of superstars.

Yeah, you're right LA fans would've done the same thing, but LA won the game, that's the diff. I get more annoyed with the building narrative that they got beat in a SEVEN game lot on a single call in Gm 6, not so much that Detroit fans/players whined about a call. In other words, that one call against one of the most thuggish teams in history (who constantly got breath-fouls in their favor like any other top team on the make) is what caused them to lose the series. Please... I'm tired of those narratives, and it being a game the Lakers won only makes it more solidified in the minds of all the s-heads around the league. If it were in Detroit's favor, it wouldn't get nearly as much play outside of S Cali. That's an opinion, sure, but I believe it wholeheart. I've seen the loss of Scott and Magic (league MVP) in 89 being given passing mention or no mention more times than I could count. I don't want to hear about one call among 7 gms. It wasn't even that egregious, either. Bill had both hands on Kareem and gave him a slight nudge. We all know that was enough for Kareem to get a call IN THE ACT of a skyhook. You couldn't give any more contact to Hakeem or D-Rob on the low block in the mid 90s in the act of a shot, and we all know it. We saw it happen to poor Vlade to both of those guys. Like Bill, he was a guy who had less of a rep than the superstar name -- fact of life in the NBA, right or wrong.

Final analysis: Shaddup, Bill. Piss off.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject:

it reminded me what a (bleep) Jordan was and how league had to change the rules to get him his championship run
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Turned out to be right. They all whined about how they got robbed. (Violins, tearing up).

It was a reputation call at worst. There was a bit of contact, not zero as Detroit claims. Not a great deal of contact, true, but definitely something every fan in the league has seen refs call in the favor of superstars.

Yeah, you're right LA fans would've done the same thing, but LA won the game, that's the diff. I get more annoyed with the building narrative that they got beat in a SEVEN game lot on a single call in Gm 6, not so much that Detroit fans/players whined about a call. In other words, that one call against one of the most thuggish teams in history (who constantly got breath-fouls in their favor like any other top team on the make) is what caused them to lose the series. Please... I'm tired of those narratives, and it being a game the Lakers won only makes it more solidified in the minds of all the s-heads around the league. If it were in Detroit's favor, it wouldn't get nearly as much play outside of S Cali. That's an opinion, sure, but I believe it wholeheart. I've seen the loss of Scott and Magic (league MVP) in 89 being given passing mention or no mention more times than I could count. I don't want to hear about one call among 7 gms. It wasn't even that egregious, either. Bill had both hands on Kareem and gave him a slight nudge. We all know that was enough for Kareem to get a call IN THE ACT of a skyhook. You couldn't give any more contact to Hakeem or D-Rob on the low block in the mid 90s in the act of a shot, and we all know it. We saw it happen to poor Vlade to both of those guys. Like Bill, he was a guy who had less of a rep than the superstar name -- fact of life in the NBA, right or wrong.

Final analysis: Shaddup, Bill. Piss off.

kinda noticed on the remix how they really didn't bring up Magic's and Scott's (probably the 2nd best player on the squad) injuries. I mean it is what it is but most teams wouldn't win without their starting back court especially without Magic and Scott, who was averaging almost a dub.

would have been a great series if completely healthy.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

I liked it. It gave more perspective on a few things:

1) I forgot about Jordan's comments before G4, about how the Pistons were bad for basketball. They were disrespectful comments. I have no issue with Detroit responding in-kind by walking off.

2) I like how close the team was. You can tell they really looked out for Rodman.

3) Aguirre deserves a lot of respect. There aren't too many guys in a rec league that will volunteer to give up their starting spot to someone else.

4) It just further highlighted how hypocritical the old school players were about current players "teaming up". Jordan and Pippen had no issue adding Rodman after all he did against them. Aguirre led a team to the WCF's and then went to a team that was in the Finals that same year.

5) The game was so much more physical then.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Those guys really rebounded and defended the paint well. Key ingredients of any successful team. Hated them, but they were really good.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

would have been a great series if completely healthy.

As far as that series goes, I think the Lakes would've had to have closed out Gm 2 or it would've eventually gone to Detroit (odds against coming back from 0-2 w/o HCA for Gm 7). Unfortunately, we'll never know if LA could've done that because Magic got hurt at that point of that game, with LA up 8 pts.

That said, what gets buried is that the 1989 Lakers were playing better in those playoffs than the 88 team. 89 was a tough RS for LA, they even lost 8 in a row on the road, which was unheard of, but they rounded out at the end of the year so similarly to the 2001 team. They were really tight and played a more committed team D and passing gm than they played on the road in 88 (they only won 2 playoff road gms in 88, with 3 seven gm series just to win the title). The 89 team had the tenacity to come back from 29 down at SEA in the 4th game when Riley could've just sat the starters for the closeout at the Forum. They were giving up absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, you'll often hear about how the Pistons would've beaten LA anyway because of how tough they were. That's the easiest conclusion made by those who weren't around then or weren't really fans of either team at the time.

Pistons were more physical and nastier than LA in 88 too and how'd that turn out? As Worthy said, [We didn't fear their toughness, Boston were tough (and dirty) too].

Worse than Detroit beating us in 6 or 7, we are forever doomed to ifs, buts, mights, and maybes, and the Laker fan base has had to be satisfied with that over the years all too often. Various 60s series, 83, 89, 91, 04.

I will say this about those Bad Boy Pistons: they did muddy up our running gm better than any of the other 80s opponents LA faced. Even in the LA/Boston series, many of the games were beautiful. They also forced Chicago to adopt the same kind of conditioning and defensive intensity that they used to win 6 titles. Then Riley adopted a defensive format in NY. Then the Spurs and Lakers after them. Phil comes to LA and the boys have the league's top D in Year 1 and go where Del couldn't take them. If anything was responsible for that sudden batch of D-oriented champs since 1990, it was those Pistons teams. In that way, they actually WERE a defining team. The former Pistons probably wouldn't admit it, though, because they're going to keep up the feelings of persecution till they croak.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Or work in Lebron scoring the last 25 points against the Pistons in the Cavs game.

Or how the Pistons only succeeded because Larry Bird's Celtics were fading.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Detroit had enough talent to beat non-fading teams. They were up on y'all 3-2 in 88 before Zeke's injury, and y'all weren't a fading squad that year.

I wish the injuries in the 88 and 89 Finals didn't occur. Would be great to not have "what if's" for both.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
rwongega wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Detroit had enough talent to beat non-fading teams. They were up on y'all 3-2 in 88 before Zeke's injury, and y'all weren't a fading squad that year.

I wish the injuries in the 88 and 89 Finals didn't occur. Would be great to not have "what if's" for both.

^ Doesn't get it.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: