'Eleven Rings:' Phil Jackson savors beating the Celtics in 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Love LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like Phil doesn't believe it was Jerry's decision to hire D'antoni over him, but Jim's instead.
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I Love LA wrote:
Sounds like Phil doesn't believe it was Jerry's decision to hire D'antoni over him, but Jim's instead.

It's obvious to anyone who isn't blindly believing whatever the Lakers tell them that it was Jim's decision.
Battiato's Nose
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Another excerpt from the same link above:

Quote:
The Lakers invited Kobe and Steve to the final pitch meeting to help persuade Dwight to come on board. It sounded like a good idea. Steve sent out an amusing tweet before the meeting: “Dwight Howard we’re coming for you. You’re going to love the statue we build for you outside Staples in 20yrs!” And Kobe made a moving speech during the pitch, promising to teach Dwight the secret of winning championships that he’d learned from the best in the game.

If the meeting had ended there, it might have worked. But after the presentation, Dwight asked Kobe what he was planning to do after he recovered from his Achilles injury. Was this going to be his last year? “No,” replied Kobe. “I’m planning to be around for three or four more years.”

At that point, according to others in the room, Dwight’s eyes went blank and he drifted away. In his mind, the game was over.

A few days later he announced that he was signing with the Rockets.

damn. kobe's fault?

Why would it be Kobe's fault? For responding a question directed at him, regarding his own plans? Kobe had every right to look after his career, same as Dwight. I don't see the need of finger pointing. No one's to blame IMHO. Dwight wanted one thing from Kobe, Kobe couldn't oblige. Time to part ways.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Battiato's Nose wrote:
NYClakerguy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Another excerpt from the same link above:

Quote:
The Lakers invited Kobe and Steve to the final pitch meeting to help persuade Dwight to come on board. It sounded like a good idea. Steve sent out an amusing tweet before the meeting: “Dwight Howard we’re coming for you. You’re going to love the statue we build for you outside Staples in 20yrs!” And Kobe made a moving speech during the pitch, promising to teach Dwight the secret of winning championships that he’d learned from the best in the game.

If the meeting had ended there, it might have worked. But after the presentation, Dwight asked Kobe what he was planning to do after he recovered from his Achilles injury. Was this going to be his last year? “No,” replied Kobe. “I’m planning to be around for three or four more years.”

At that point, according to others in the room, Dwight’s eyes went blank and he drifted away. In his mind, the game was over.

A few days later he announced that he was signing with the Rockets.

damn. kobe's fault?

Why would it be Kobe's fault? For responding a question directed at him, regarding his own plans? Kobe had every right to look after his career, same as Dwight. I don't see the need of finger pointing. No one's to blame IMHO. Dwight wanted one thing from Kobe, Kobe couldn't oblige. Time to part ways.

This. At least Kobe was honest. What if Kobe lied to get Dwight only to re-sign? Both were in their own ways, being honest, and they were done.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject:

I read this 2 days ago. Refrained from posting it here on the board. Now that it's here.

My opinion after reading it.

1- Phil seems content with Lakers and that Jeannie's power. He seems to want the best for them. There doesn't seem like there are hard feelings, especially for Mitch and Jeannie.

2- Clearly Dwight asked for Phil in the exit meetings. This is not only a rumor now, so Dwight asked for Phil twice. Once in the season before MDA was hired. Once after. The FO responded by convincing Phil to send the message loud and clear to Dwight that he is not coming and instead support them in keeping/staying Dwight. Which Phil did. The fact that he did despite what happened in Nov 2012 to me shows Phil's support for Jeannie and his commitment to her. He wasn't sure about Dwight staying the right call for Dwight in May, and then in June all of a sudden was pushing Dwight to stay? I was always skeptical about that. Knew there had to be some talk between Jeannie/Jim/Mitch and Phil to change tunes.

3- Lakers pitch wasn't bad. I have been wrong on that since I thought it was a bad move. Seems their pitch to Dwight was good. It wasn't the idea of the billboards or having Nash/Kobe/MDA. Seems Dwight was not interested in staying unless 2 things happened. 1) MDA removed with Phil back in place. 2) Kobe hang it up after a year or so.

4- I was not surprised about the Jim making the decision part. Phil knew the inside scoop on Dr Buss' health. Dr Buss was too sick to make a decision like that it would seem. Seems every time there's a bad decision made (Kobe contract another one) the Lakers PR put it on someone who could never confirm or deny it.

If I could be back and change things, I still would have wanted Phil to coach in 2012. Even if Dwight still leaves, we have Phil see out Pau's time here till 2014. We bring in Fisher to replace Phil. I think having a championship culture and Kobe playing his career out in the Triangle was just the right thing do. Even if Dwight still leaves, I think things would have gone so much smoother. Seems we're just lost in terms of coaching, the direction and the style of play we want to play since Phil left in 2011.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I read this 2 days ago. Refrained from posting it here on the board. Now that it's here.

1- Phil seems content with Lakers and that Jeannie's power. He seems to want the best for them. There doesn't seem like there are hard feelings, especially for Mitch and Jeannie.

2- Clearly Dwight asked for Phil in the exit meetings. This is not only a rumor now, so Dwight asked for Phil twice. Once in the season before MDA was hired. Once after. The FO responded by convincing Phil to send the message loud and clear to Dwight that he is not coming and instead support them in keeping/staying Dwight. Which Phil did. The fact that he did despite what happened in Nov 2012 to me shows Phil's support for Jeannie and his commitment to her. He wasn't sure about Dwight staying the right call for Dwight in May, and then in June all of a sudden was pushing Dwight to stay? I was always skeptical about that. Knew there had to be some talk between Jeannie/Jim/Mitch and Phil to change tunes.

3- Lakers pitch wasn't bad. I have been wrong on that since I thought it was a bad move. Seems their pitch to Dwight was good. It wasn't the idea of the billboards or having Nash/Kobe/MDA. Seems Dwight was not interested in staying unless 2 things happened. 1) MDA removed with Phil back in place. 2) Kobe hang it up after a year or so.

4- I was not surprised about the Jim making the decision part. Phil knew the inside scoop on Dr Buss' health. Dr Buss was too sick to make a decision like that it would seem. Seems every time there's a bad decision made (Kobe contract another one) the Lakers PR put it on someone who could never confirm or deny it.

If I could be back and change things, I still would have wanted Phil to coach in 2012. Even if Dwight still leaves, we have Phil see out Pau's time here till 2014. We bring in Fisher to replace Phil. I think having a championship culture and Kobe playing his career out in the Triangle was just the right thing do. Even if Dwight still leaves, I think things would have gone so much smoother. Seems we're just lost in terms of coaching, the direction and the style of play we want to play since Phil left in 2011.

100% agreed.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I Love LA wrote:

If he really knew anything about what the decision making process was, he wouldn't have played his cards so poorly.
Azarian
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Phil admits he's guessing on who fired Mike Brown.

I remember Jerry was watching a Lakers game on TV in the hospital and after the loss he was so mad he wanted Mike fired, I remember Jim and Mitch both wanted to give him more time
I Love LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Good assessment
I Love LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I Love LA wrote:

If he really knew anything about what the decision making process was, he wouldn't have played his cards so poorly.

How did Phil play his cards poorly?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Good book. Can be finished in ~3 hours. No reason for Lakers fans not to burn through it.

Tell you the truth, this was a lot more boring than the 2004 hit piece he put out. That had a lot more salacious, insider type info and I love that sort of thing.

This book was essentially a walk down memory lane and almost all the details that were in it were things we as rabid fans already knew.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Good book. Can be finished in ~3 hours. No reason for Lakers fans not to burn through it.

Tell you the truth, this was a lot more boring than the 2004 hit piece he put out. That had a lot more salacious, insider type info and I love that sort of thing.

This book was essentially a walk down memory lane and almost all the details that were in it were things we as rabid fans already knew or deny for some.

fify

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I Love LA wrote:

yeah... jim looks like a genius after that whole deal. the whole, "(bleep) you, MDA will do just fine with this roster" ended up in his favor.
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Whatever got Dwight out of town ASAP was good in my book.

Complete, gutless clown.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And Kobe made a moving speech during the pitch, promising to teach Dwight the secret of winning championships that he’d learned from the best in the game.

I know that some people here thought this was great, but I saw some non-Laker fans who were laughing at this and thought it sounded absurd. Personally, I think it sounds stupid, like something you hear in a commercial.

I'm also wondering if this would turn Dwight off. Would he really want Kobe talking down to him like that? It's no wonder why Dwight wanted him gone. Maybe his ego is too big to have someone talking to him like that.

And who taught Kobe this secret anyway? Jerry West, who kept losing in the Finals? Shaq? If its Shaq, then what was his secret? Getting fat and missing free throws? Maybe he means Magic, which makes more sense, but I would think playing on loaded rosters helped Magic more than any secret.
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

It's crazy that so many on here were blindly accepting the Lakers PR spin on how the Phil/MDA hiring went and believed that it was a dying Dr Buss move Jim Buss has been the worst thing to ever happen to the Lakers and that's just based off of his coaching decisions.

You're right that the way things should have been done. Bring in Phil for a 1 year run in 2012 then after that hire Fisher as coach and put Phil in the FO.
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Quote:
And Kobe made a moving speech during the pitch, promising to teach Dwight the secret of winning championships that he’d learned from the best in the game.

I know that some people here thought this was great, but I saw some non-Laker fans who were laughing at this and thought it sounded absurd. Personally, I think it sounds stupid, like something you hear in a commercial.

I'm also wondering if this would turn Dwight off. Would he really want Kobe talking down to him like that? It's no wonder why Dwight wanted him gone. Maybe his ego is too big to have someone talking to him like that.

And who taught Kobe this secret anyway? Jerry West, who kept losing in the Finals? Shaq? If its Shaq, then what was his secret? Getting fat and missing free throws? Maybe he means Magic, which makes more sense, but I would think playing on loaded rosters helped Magic more than any secret.

Kobe has 5 championships and has been to the finals 7 times. Even if Kobe was just talking from his own point of view it should have been a great advantage to Dwight to learn from him. Dwight has done nothing in his career and is clearly oblivious to what it takes to be a winner and champion in the NBA while Kobe has proven that very few know more about it than him.

Dwight was afraid of the pressure and didn't want to take winning seriously which is why he wanted Kobe gone after a year. He's a clown and he proved it this year in Houston by not improving their team at all (1st round exit again).
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Megatron24 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:

Kobe has 5 championships and has been to the finals 7 times. Even if Kobe was just talking from his own point of view it should have been a great advantage to Dwight to learn from him. Dwight has done nothing in his career and is clearly oblivious to what it takes to be a winner and champion in the NBA while Kobe has proven that very few know more about it than him.

Dwight was afraid of the pressure and didn't want to take winning seriously which is why he wanted Kobe gone after a year. He's a clown and he proved it this year in Houston by not improving their team at all (1st round exit again).

I'm sure Kobe could teach him a few things about attitude, work ethic, etc., and those things do make a difference when it comes to chanpionships. But it seems silly to me to call those things the secrets to winning. If Kobe was talking about something else, then I have no idea what he was talking about.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

This book was essentially a walk down memory lane and almost all the details that were in it were things we as rabid fans already knew.

Well there's a reason I said it could be burned through in 3 hours . Not an intense book at all. Also, PJ uses "danced" far too often.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Megatron24 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure Kobe could teach him a few things about attitude, work ethic, etc., and those things do make a difference when it comes to chanpionships. But it seems silly to me to call those things the secrets to winning. If Kobe was talking about something else, then I have no idea what he was talking about.

Why would you know what he was talking about? He's an NBA champion, you are (presumably) not.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Megatron24 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:

Why would you know what he was talking about? He's an NBA champion, you are (presumably) not.

So is Lebron and he left a sinking ship to play with Irving and Wiggins/Love. So maybe "the secret" is playing with great teammates.

But you're right that I could be wrong in this. Kobe will know things I don't know and he will not think exactly the same way that I think. It would be awesome if he does know some secrets that separate him from the pretenders like Howard.

Personally, I think one reason Kobe beat Howard in 2009 was this: Kobe was so much better than Howard.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

I Love LA wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
I Love LA wrote:

How did Phil play his cards poorly?

Well if he wanted the job, he would have said so.

I have always believed, however, that he was really just shining everyone on. Jeanie seemed to really want him to coach and he had never seemed interested. If he had been offered the job, I think he would have taken the opportunity to reject Jim's offer.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
The 2010 championship really was so much better than the 2009 one. That Magic team really felt like the worst team to have made the Finals since the New Jersey Nets.

I remember that we were all concerned going into the playoffs, and even afraid that we would lose to the Thunder.

Kobe's knee before they drained it.

The 2009 team was special for what it was, looking back at old footage, it's hard to believe all that depth and youth. The opponents wound up being incidental. Best single moment was Fish giving Scola the shoulder screen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: