'Mookie' Blaylock on life support
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
md8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: 'Mookie' Blaylock on life support

Quote:
Former NBA All-Star guard Daron ''Mookie'' Blaylock was on life support at a hospital Friday after his SUV crossed the center line and crashed head-on into a van in suburban Atlanta, police said.

Blaylock was driving in Jonesboro Friday when he crashed and was airlifted to the Atlanta Medical Center in critical condition, said Clayton County police spokesman Clarence Cox.

Cox says a man and woman riding in the van were also taken to the medical center. Their names and conditions were not immediately available.

The 46-year-old Blaylock was a first-round draft pick by the New Jersey Nets out of Oklahoma in 1989.

He played for the Atlanta Hawks between 1992 and 1999, appeared in the 1994 NBA All-Star game and had his best season in 1996-97, averaging 17.4 points and 5.9 assists.

In 13 NBA seasons with New Jersey, Atlanta and Golden State, he averaged 13.5 points and 6.2 assists.

link

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I was just about to post this but he's been upgraded to stable condition

He seems to have improved just a few hours ago he was critical...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9330727/daron-mookie-blaylock-stable-condition-car-crash

Quote:
Blaylock stable after car crash

JONESBORO, Ga. -- Former NBA All-Star guard Daron "Mookie" Blaylock was in stable condition at a hospital Friday after his SUV crossed the center line and crashed head-on into a van in suburban Atlanta, police said.

Blaylock was driving in Jonesboro on Friday when he crashed and was airlifted to the Atlanta Medical Center in critical condition, said Clayton County police spokesman Clarence Cox. Blaylock was on life support and unresponsive, but by Friday night, his condition had improved to stable, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

According to the newspaper, a family member told police that Blaylock, from Dallas, has been under treatment for seizures.

Cox says a man and woman riding in the van were also taken to the medical center. Their names and conditions were not immediately available.

The 46-year-old Blaylock was a first-round draft pick by the New Jersey Nets out of Oklahoma in 1989.

He played for the Atlanta Hawks from 1992-99, appeared in the 1994 NBA All-Star Game and had his best season in 1996-97, averaging 17.4 points and 5.9 assists

"Our thoughts are with Mookie Blaylock, who is in the hospital tonight after a car crash," the Hawks tweeted.

In 13 NBA seasons with New Jersey, Atlanta and Golden State, Blaylock averaged 13.5 points and 6.2 assists.

"Prayers out to Mookie Blaylock and his family! Big fan of his as a kid #PG #NBAFamily," Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul tweeted.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject:

I hope he recovers.

BTW, Did everyone know that Pearl Jam was originally going to be called Mookie Blaylock. because Eddie Vedder was a huge fan? Or that their Album was titled "10" in tribute to his jersey number?
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject:

damn .....
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Woah. Sad news
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I hope he recovers.

BTW, Did everyone know that Pearl Jam was originally going to be called Mookie Blaylock. because Eddie Vedder was a huge fan? Or that their Album was titled "10" in tribute to his jersey number?

Yes, I knew that. Not sure why I know that though.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Wow tough news, I'm glad his condition has improved

Pau Gasol is nice
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
24 wrote:
I hope he recovers.

Wait,...what? I'm a HUGE Eddie Vedder fan and never heard this!
ttango
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject:

I remember Mookie Blaylock in the backcourt with Ricky Grace. Along with Horace Grant and Stacey King, they took down my U of AZ team led by Sean Elliott, Anthony Cook, and Steve Kerr. They lost in the Championship game to Danny Manning and Kansas University which was coached by Larry Brown.

When Mookie made it the L, his defensive skills shined.. His best times where as a Hawk when he played alongside Steve Smith.

Get better Mookie!
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Well, perhaps he'll get better.

But basically, he was likely either a) drunk or b) too sleepy. I'm sure there were toxicology tests performed on him when he got in.

My hope is for the other car, who Mookie hit, head on, due to him being in the wrong lane of traffic. They did nothing wrong except to drive late at night on the left lane on a drive like that.

I hope those two do OK.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject:

"Dad, when did Michael Jordan get traded to the Nets?" --me, c. 1990

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I heard he's in stable condition and doing better now. Should be off life support but too early to tell. Seizures are still gonna be a problem and don't know the severity of his injury from the crash.

I forgot which NBA player had a dirt bike accident and is wheelchaired for life and can barely move his head, there was a special on NBA.TV with Chris Webber. Hopefully it ain't this serious with Mookie.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/police-blaylock-facing-charges-fatal-193245953--nba.html

Driving with a suspended license and killing a women....
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/police-blaylock-facing-charges-fatal-193245953--nba.html

Driving with a suspended license and killing a women....

Better find out who JR Smith's lawyer was.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject:

ForrestHump wrote:

I forgot which NBA player had a dirt bike accident and is wheelchaired for life and can barely move his head, there was a special on NBA.TV with Chris Webber. Hopefully it ain't this serious with Mookie.

Rodney Rogers.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject:

How about prayers for the people he hit? Dude shouldn't get more sympathy just because he's famous, especially when it sounds like it was his fault.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
24 wrote:
I hope he recovers.

Wait,...what? I'm a HUGE Eddie Vedder fan and never heard this!

PJ actually sent him a get-well card ...
LINK
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mookie Blaylock charged Monday with second-degree vehicular homicide for allegedly causing wreck that killed 40-year-old woman..
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I remember getting Mookie Blaylock cards all the time back in the early 90's and I would be so ecstatic because it was worth like $0.25.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
"Dad, when did Michael Jordan get traded to the Nets?" --me, c. 1990

Morgan Freeman
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
Quote:
Mookie Blaylock charged Monday with second-degree vehicular homicide for allegedly causing wreck that killed 40-year-old woman..

Sounds justified based on the information released. Its why i had trouble sympathizing with Mookie; hard to justify driving on the wrong side of the road and slamming headfirst into another car, killing one and critically injuring another. Just hope they arrive at the truth and justice is served, if necessary.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:

But basically, he was likely either a) drunk or b) too sleepy. I'm sure there were toxicology tests performed on him when he got in.

My hope is for the other car, who Mookie hit, head on, due to him being in the wrong lane of traffic. They did nothing wrong except to drive late at night on the left lane on a drive like that.

I hope those two do OK.
i heard something about possible seizures. meaning maybe he had an issue with seizures. people who do can only drive under a special license after they have proved they have not had any recent episodes and that they can control it with medicine or staying away from what may cause it.

if thats what happened. it could have been a situation where he hasnt had one in a very long time. then bam, it hits him at the wrong time. and just in case some think "well people with that situaiton should not drive." well you do realize any one of us can start having seizures at any point in our lives. it doesnt have to be something you have from birth or if you do drugs and mess up your body. it can occur out of no where.

or like some have said. perhaps the man had a mile heart attack. thats not his fault.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
tlim wrote:

I hope those two do OK.
i heard something about possible seizures. meaning maybe he had an issue with seizures. people who do can only drive under a special license after they have proved they have not had any recent episodes and that they can control it with medicine or staying away from what may cause it.

if thats what happened. it could have been a situation where he hasnt had one in a very long time. then bam, it hits him at the wrong time. and just in case some think "well people with that situaiton should not drive." well you do realize any one of us can start having seizures at any point in our lives. it doesnt have to be something you have from birth or if you do drugs and mess up your body. it can occur out of no where.

or like some have said. perhaps the man had a mile heart attack. thats not his fault.

But they said his license had been suspended.
SmithWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
How about prayers for the people he hit? Dude shouldn't get more sympathy just because he's famous, especially when it sounds like it was his fault.

Sadly, having celebrity status puts you above normal people.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
tlim wrote:

I hope those two do OK.

But they said his license had been suspended.
well if it was suspended for seizures. then its all mooks fault.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: