Kobe is still the best player in the NBA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject:

jxhopper wrote:
70sdude wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
All I haft to say is look how people would guard Kobe compared to Lebron.
Everyone forgot about Kobe in his prime dude would eat teams alive. Triple teams would be like fruit snacks to him.

I think the point of this thread originally was to develop some conversation around recognition that LeBron dominates play right now, certainly far more than Kobe's play in 2012-2013. Kobe's prime period is in the past, probably by several seasons - no question. He can still score heaps much of the time, but he is slowed and not an elite defender or elite athlete today. He is now recovering from a career-threatening, severe leg injury, and it's smart to recognize that he is essentially an unknown quantity going into next season at age 35, when November rolls around. He's an unusual guy for sure, and he may be an incredible talent again, but his rehab period suggests that he'll return in a lesser form rather than in a renewed version.

In your vernacular, these "fruit snacks" he consumes today no longer comprise championship-level meals. In 2012-2013 he became a reduced version of his old self and unfortunately he now costs more $$$ than he ever has before, and he may deliver less than ever.

I call BS and the stats do as well. Pre-Achilles injury, in 2012-2013, he was having the best stats OF HIS ENTIRE CAREER.

Now granted, he is not as athletically dominating as in his younger years, but his skill has filled the gaps.... at least up until the injury.

Don't miss the point in this thread. Kobe is no longer the dominant perimeter player in the league. LeBron has overtaken him. By a heap.

Look at the stats if you wish, since that's what you brought in here. Kobe's last season is statistically great sure, and very much in line with his career arc. He is still a scoring monster. But he isn't the guy he was on defense, nor in transition. His effectiveness is reduced. You have noticed he didn't carry his team very far into the playoffs, right ? There are reasons besides his reduced state, lots of 'em too.

Kobe 2012-2013 regular season
.463 fg%
.324 3pt%
5.6r
4.8a
27.3p
Defensive 2nd team

LeBron 2012-2013 regular season
.565 fg%
.406 3pt%
8.0r
7.3a
26.8ppg
Defensive 1st team

Unfortunately, history doesn't suggest Kobe's coming back to near peak form from such a late career, high mileage career, injury. No one has ever done it. It will be further tribute tribute to him if he restores himself fully, or even near to it.
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject:

Lebron last 4 min of regulation:

4:01 James jump shot CLANG!
3:18 James offensive foul (charge)
:39 James turnover
:28 James turnover
:23.9 James 3 pt shot CLANG!
:20 James 3 pt shot made
:7.9 James 3 pt shot CLANG!

Lebron OT:

3:56 James junmp shot CLANG!
1:43 James jump shot made
:59 James jump shot CLANG!
40:5 James turnover
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
jxhopper wrote:
70sdude wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Everyone forgot about Kobe in his prime dude would eat teams alive. Triple teams would be like fruit snacks to him.

I think the point of this thread originally was to develop some conversation around recognition that LeBron dominates play right now, certainly far more than Kobe's play in 2012-2013. Kobe's prime period is in the past, probably by several seasons - no question. He can still score heaps much of the time, but he is slowed and not an elite defender or elite athlete today. He is now recovering from a career-threatening, severe leg injury, and it's smart to recognize that he is essentially an unknown quantity going into next season at age 35, when November rolls around. He's an unusual guy for sure, and he may be an incredible talent again, but his rehab period suggests that he'll return in a lesser form rather than in a renewed version.

In your vernacular, these "fruit snacks" he consumes today no longer comprise championship-level meals. In 2012-2013 he became a reduced version of his old self and unfortunately he now costs more $$$ than he ever has before, and he may deliver less than ever.

I call BS and the stats do as well. Pre-Achilles injury, in 2012-2013, he was having the best stats OF HIS ENTIRE CAREER.

Now granted, he is not as athletically dominating as in his younger years, but his skill has filled the gaps.... at least up until the injury.

Don't miss the point in this thread. Kobe is no longer the dominant perimeter player in the league. LeBron has overtaken him. By a heap.

Look at the stats if you wish, since that's what you brought in here. Kobe's last season is statistically great sure, and very much in line with his career arc. He is still a scoring monster. But he isn't the guy he was on defense, nor in transition. His effectiveness is reduced. You have noticed he didn't carry his team very far into the playoffs, right ? There are reasons besides his reduced state, lots of 'em too.

.463 fg%
.324 3pt%
5.6r
4.8a
27.3p
Defensive 2nd team

.565 fg%
.406 3pt%
8.0r
7.3a
26.8ppg
Defensive 1st team

Unfortunately, history doesn't suggest Kobe's coming back to near peak form from such a late career, high mileage career, injury. No one has ever done it. It will be further tribute tribute to him if he restores himself fully, or even near to it.

So you mean Kobe isn'gt the guy Lebron NEVER was on defense any more. OK.
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject:

Also notice the only 1 attempt between 4:01 and :39?

That's called the patented Lebron "Ball is a hot potato because I can't shoot and don't have the confidence when the chips are on the line so I keep deferring to everyone else mode"

Dude plays scared. It's so obvious. I don't care if he's a physical freak whose stats in his prime are better than Kobe's after 17 years in the league. If he's so great, why did he have to flee Cleveland for the protection of Wade and Bosh? The best players on 2 separate teams. It's so he can defer when it matters because he can't hack it as the man. Plain and simple. I don't think you can compare what Kobe has had to work with as a supporting cast to what the Heat have had the last 3 years, can you?

Oh and he didn't carry his team very far in the playoffs. Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't play a single game in the playoffs because of a completely torn tendon. I did see him walk up and sink 2 critical ft with said torn tendon.

I saw Lebron get carried off the court with cramps once.

Last edited by jxhopper on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject:

jxhopper wrote:

Lebron OT:

Considering you've been stuck on repeat mode, we can see your insecurities about this subject.
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject:

ChrisCrossed wrote:
jxhopper wrote:

Lebron OT:

Considering you've been stuck on repeat mode, we can see your insecurities about this subject.

I just figured you must be blind as a friggen bat to defend the obvious choke job. Have your mommy read it to you if she can.

After all we all know LBJ is the "best driver of all time" Must mean the best pizza truck driver because it's not driving the basketball.

Last edited by jxhopper on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject:

jxhopper wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
jxhopper wrote:

Lebron OT:

I just figured you must be blind as a friggen bat to defend the obvious choke job. Have your mommy read it to you if she can.

Actually ass.hole my mother has retinitis pigmentosa so yeah, she actually can't read it since she's going blind prick. On that note why don't you list the 6/7 before hand and quit acting like a child.
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject:

Just trying to relate on your level, since you can't refute what I posted. Who cares what he did before that.

The fact is. The sequences I posted are directly related for Lebron causing the heat to lose the lead the heat had and how everyone on the team except lebron pulled lebron's ass out of the fire last night.

Please elaborate how the "best driver ever" seems to turn the ball over like a scrub when the game is on the line?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject:

ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject:

jxhopper wrote:
Just trying to relate on your level, since you can't refute what I posted. Who cares what he did before that.

The fact is. The sequences I posted are directly related for Lebron causing the heat to lose the lead the heat had and how everyone on the team except lebron pulled lebron's ass out of the fire last night.

Please elaborate how the "best driver ever" seems to turn the ball over like a scrub when the game is on the line?

Are you seriously this stupid? I mean really, I ALREADY said he effed up two pages back. However you also haven't argued agains the Hakeem - Shaq argument because that's exactly what your argument was. "Lebron doesn't have moves ergo is not dangerous." Btw kid, learn the meaning of the difference between dangerous and best. So going by that, Hakeem would be naturally more dangerous than Shaq. You're also focusing on him screwing up, not recognizing that he helped take apart a double digit lead...by DRIVING. Should I get my mother to explain that to you?
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject:

Can she speak English?
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject:

Would that make her the "best speaker ever"?
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject:

jxhopper wrote:
Can she speak English?

See it's honestly kids like you who shouldn't be allowed to be on the Internet; you know you'd get slapped straight up for implying something like that not from the safety of your keyboard.
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject:

I've probably been coming to this message board before you were born. I really think you SHOULD let your mother explain things for you... I'm sure you would be much better served.
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject:

Didnt know you've been coming here since 92, facisinating really. Yet here you are, still making 7th grade come backs. Pretty sure you're the epitome of intellect and witty rhetoricals.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject:

Both of you guys need a couple of days off.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject:

jxhopper wrote:
70sdude wrote:
jxhopper wrote:
70sdude wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

.463 fg%
.324 3pt%
5.6r
4.8a
27.3p
Defensive 2nd team

.565 fg%
.406 3pt%
8.0r
7.3a
26.8ppg
Defensive 1st team

So you mean Kobe isn'gt the guy Lebron NEVER was on defense any more. OK.

Hoo-hah ? You meant to say that Kobe made zero MVP's in his first decade (playing behind Shaq's shadow in those title-winning efforts) and LeBron already has four MVP's and a title as the best guy on his own team in his first ten ? Yeah, that kinda LeBron is who I meant. Give it a rest fellah. LeBron is today the better defender, and his defensive work may well be better than Kobe's best ever.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Lebron had one of the best seasons ever, Kobe had one of the best season imaginable for a player in his 17th season, why folks can't be in awe
of both, is beyond comprehension.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
Lebron had one of the best seasons ever, Kobe had one of the best season imaginable for a player in his 17th season, why folks can't be in awe

That's far too reasonable.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
KyLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject:

I can't wait to see how Lebron ages, right now his game is based on bulldozing people to the rim. He really needs to improve his skill set or he wont age as well as Kobe has been able too.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

That's far too reasonable.

Kobe deserves way more credit than that. Where's the middle ground on this site? That sounds like a compliment for Tim Duncan, but Kobe had 50times better of a year. Kobe played like the 2nd best player in the NBA,he shot a high % and put the team on his back/lead his team to victory more than KD. And he avg6 assists,one of his highest averages of his career.
dhemmati
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Shooting? Yes. Defense? Yes. Killer? Yeah, that too.
Peanutz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject:

LMAO this thread should be locked.

Anyone who doesn't think Lebron isn't the best player in the NBA right now is either a Lebron hater or just have no idea about the game of basketball.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject:

jxhopper wrote:

Probably the Heat, considering Lebron carried them to erase a deficit in the 4th quarter and win a title. But who cares about that, you have your little subjective stats, which apparently mean more to you than winning does. Little being the operative word.
Born89FanIn95
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject:

Peanutz wrote:
LMAO this thread should be locked.

Anyone who doesn't think Lebron isn't the best player in the NBA right now is either a Lebron hater or just have no idea about the game of basketball.

HAHAHA exactly what i was thinking
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19
Jump to: