Why even if Spurs win in '13, Lakers dynasty > Spurs, Kobe > Duncan, but Duncan > Shaq
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject:

bodyrock wrote:
Problem is a true champion is one that can defend their championship. Spurs never has and never will.

So the 2003 and 2011 Lakers weren't true champions because they couldn't defend their 2002 and 2010 championships? The Lakers weren't true champions in 1980, 1982 or 1985 when they didn't defend those?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject:

Spurs would be a Dinosty if they win.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject:

this is the first spurs team in the finals that is a clear underdog.

i guess lakers since kobe have never been underdogs in the finals either though.
ttango
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject:

bodyrock wrote:
Problem is a true champion is one that can defend their championship. Spurs never has and never will.

Larry Bird's Celtic Dynasty says HI!

The NBA is full of Champions from 1969 to 1986 who didn't repeat.

If Magic Johnson was not able to lead his team to that repeat in 1988 past a severely hobbled Isaih Thomas, then would we not call Magic a True Champion? Isaih was hurt after he landed on Coops foot.
Quote:
"His ankle is pretty swollen," said Daly. "We got a miraculous game from Isiah, as hurt as he was. He got us back in the game. On offense, we didn't give him as much support as I would like. We were 45 seconds away from an NBA championship. What can I say?" Thomas had finished the game with a jammed left pinkie, a poked eye, a scratched face, a ballooned ankle, 43 points, eight assists, six steals and enough respect to last a lifetime.

See, that's the last bastion of an unreasonable fan. When one can't objectively look at an accomplishment and give it it's due, then you're probably short-sighted. Message boards are full of short sighted posters.
Always have to bring someone or some team down to lift another.

I get that's how it works here, but there are some us, who see the hoops and the accomplishments of other players and other teams. Ain't nothing wrong with that, we're BASKETBALL fans.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject:

ttango wrote:
bodyrock wrote:

Larry Bird's Celtic Dynasty says HI!

The NBA is full of Champions from 1969 to 1986 who didn't repeat.

If Magic Johnson was not able to lead his team to that repeat in 1988 past a severely hobbled Isaih Thomas, then would we not call Magic a True Champion? Isaih was hurt after he landed on Coops foot.

See, that's the last bastion of an unreasonable fan. When one can't objectively look at an accomplishment and give it it's due, then you're probably short-sighted. Message boards are full of short sighted posters.
Always have to bring someone or some team down to lift another.

You're using a scenario that didn't take place to argue your point. That's no better than a Laker fan arguing that LA were 3 injuries away from repeating in 82 and 83.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject:

bodyrock wrote:

Winning a finals w/o the HCA is quite an achievement though. Spurs have put themselves in a position to do it.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
bodyrock wrote:

So the 2003 and 2011 Lakers weren't true champions because they couldn't defend their 2002 and 2010 championships? The Lakers weren't true champions in 1980, 1982 or 1985 when they didn't defend those?

Exploding cigar logic at its finest.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
KBH wrote:
bodyrock wrote:

Exploding cigar logic at its finest.

Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject:

What the Spurs have done over a long period of time is true greatness. Top notch organization.....I am hopeful that the Spurs will win the championship. The Spurs are a breath of fresh air, nothing but class. Go Spurs....
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Why even if Spurs win in '13, Lakers dynasty > Spurs, Kobe > Duncan, but Duncan > Shaq

postandpivot wrote:

Prime duncan wasnt slowing shaq. Prime Duncan + 1 + refs were calling bogus offensive fouls on shaq for being to darn strong for timmy and his + 1.

Prime Duncan was flopping all over himself when he was between Shaq and the basket. Better to flop with a pouty face then get dunked on.
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
What the Spurs have done over a long period of time is true greatness. Top notch organization.....I am hopeful that the Spurs will win the championship. The Spurs are a breath of fresh air, nothing but class. Go Spurs....

Man all of this Sp*rs love from Lakers fans makes me sick. Look anything is better than a 2nd Championship for LeCrab, but let's not get carried away with the Sperms are a class organization crap. I hate the f'ing Sp*rs and and Timmy D's pouty face when he loses is priceless.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: If Spurs win it all this year, doesn't that make Laker dynasty THAT much more impressive?

...Because we had to go THROUGH these guys all these years?

Think about it - The Lakers in the 80's most likely would have won at least 3 more rings had The Celtics of the 80's not been around. But history remembers BOTH of those teams as All Time greats.

An angle that I haven't heard really from ANYONE is the notion that the Spurs winning a 5th title in the Pop/Duncan era really just makes the Shaq/Kobe Lakers of the early 2000's and the Kobe led back to back Lakers of the end of the 2000's decade a STRONGER team in terms of historic legacy BECAUSE they had to go through a truly great team/franchise to get there.

I've heard more the opposite - that the Lakers greatness over the last 13-14 years would have to be "re-evaluated", etc, but I think that's complete hogwash. Instead, the fact that Phil Jackson/Kobe/Shaq/etc had to overcome a clearly great coach/team/franchise to win 5 rings only makes those Larry O'Briens shine with greater luster imo.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130129/daily-dime

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-thinks-neo-matrix-could-ve-best-174850191--nba.html
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject:

No, I don't think it affects the Lakers at all.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I have no idea why you are a Laker fan! Your responses seem to always be generally anti-Laker.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject:

Lakers 3peat+back to back = more impressive than never repeating. IMO
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I have no idea why you are a Laker fan! Your responses seem to always be generally anti-Laker.

how is that response anti-Laker? I mean, if the Spurs win this title, it really has nothing to do with the Lakers other than the Spurs going through an injured team.

I don't even think the Lakers have been talked about in the finals series so far. Maybe a mention here or there but really nothing.

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I have no idea how you got anything anti-Laker out of what I posted. What the Lakers do affect their legacy, and what the Spurs do affects their legacy. I don't see the interaction. It isn't like they have been fighting it out in WC Finals for years, ala the Lakers and Celtics in the Finals in the 80's.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I have no idea how you got anything anti-Laker out of what I posted. What the Lakers do affect their legacy, and what the Spurs do affects their legacy. I don't see the interaction. It isn't like they have been fighting it out in WC Finals for years, ala the Lakers and Celtics in the Finals in the 80's.

the comparison here lies between the Lakers and Spurs during the Kobe/Duncan eras. If the SPurs win they would have 5 in the Duncan era just like the Lakers have 5 in the Kobe era. Thats where the comparison/debate stops. Historically the Lakers are way ahead of the Spurs in titles and franchise relevance.
Prophet8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject:

I have to agree with VLF, doesn't need to be a big deal when looking at dynasties. Lakers did what they did and the Spurs have a run of doing well over a long period of time. Al the rest is fluff for journalists (or lack thereof) to just debate the topic and give themselves something to talk about. I mean look at pattern. These finals are a great indication of how the media loves to base the finals off of one game. After each game, they took the favorite to win based on the previous game. Of course the Lakers' B2B is ancient history! No way they will remember that run much less the threepeat era. Look a what the Lakers did, three straight finals appearances and won 2-3. Not a bad haul... The spurs have been very good on a consistent basis, but did we forget a couple years ago they got knocked out of the first round much like we did? (bleep) for tat and to compare both of those Ship runs is a strawman argument. Doesn't matter what anyone will say (facts or otherwise), both proponents of the argument will state their case based on biased opinions.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject:

I think the only question would be, in a 14 year period (if the Spurs win 5), would you want five titles in the beginning and the end of that period (Lakers) or gain five over the entire period (Spurs).
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject:

So much pride/insecurity on this site. We're not doing great right now, so all I see are threads akin to "so what that <x> is succeeding, we're still the best!". Yes, the Lakers are the best, dont' get me wrong, but it is like someone saying "So what that he got <x>, I am still much cooler!".

Cool people don't always have to flaunt that they are cool. We are the damn Lakers, we are boss. Don't always have to downplay others achievements to make us feel better.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject:

I want to add I hate the Spurs and don't want to see them succeed (even though I respect their coach and game), but if they win, I won't lose sleep. I may if the Celtics won though..
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:
I want to add I hate the Spurs and don't want to see them succeed (even though I respect their coach and game), but if they win, I won't lose sleep. I may if the Celtics won though..

The ideal ending for the series would be the Sp*rs winning a game 7 in Miami that is mired in controversy and ejections. I would hope for a Malice in the Palace type brawl, but I think they would just go back and replay the game.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
LakersDC wrote:

The ideal ending for the series would be the Sp*rs winning a game 7 in Miami that is mired in controversy and ejections. I would hope for a Malice in the Palace type brawl, but I think they would just go back and replay the game.

Ideal ending is everyone is busted for steroids and the finals are canceled
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
LakersDC wrote:

If we are doing hypotheticals, I think what would make LG happiest is that Lebron goes down with a season ending injury early in Game 6, and Chris Bosh wills Miami to a game 6 and 7 win. Bosh would be MVP, denying Lebron his second finals MVP, Duncan wouldn't get championship #5, and Wade wouldn't get Finals MVP #2.

Lebron suffering a career ending injury may make LG happier, but that seems plain mean That or Lebron tearing his Achilles a la Kobe and never being the same again, while Kobe returns with a vengeance.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: