OFFICIAL FRONT OFFICE, JIM BUSS, COACHING CHOICES DISCUSSION THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
If it's one thing that always bugged me about this organization it's their inability to make a decision and move quickly. Obviously Dantoni isn't the guy for this job. Every and Anyone knows this is probably THE most high profile job in sports as a coach and that's the type of guy that's needed. Someone that can handle the bright lights of Hollywood and all of it's personalities.

Whoever it will be, the FO needs to make a decision NOW! No way should Dantoni be coming out of an exit interview with this team's season the way it was and still have a job. Sorry that's just real talk!

His system is mega flawed and no FAs are going to come play for Dantoni!

Bank on that!

So you prefer quick reactionary action over careful, thought out moves. Ok.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
I wonder what the reaction here will be when Phil hires Steve Kerr as the coach.

I wonder more about who will fill his shoes on TNT.

I'm only hoping Steve takes Doug Collins with him so they both can be off our TV sets when watching TNT/ESPN.

Last edited by USCandLakers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
It still amazes me how badly this got screwed up. Whether by Dr. Buss, Jim Buss, or whoever... we missed out on guys like BShaw, or Adelman, or Phil AGAIN, and for what? Mike Brown and Mike D'Antoni. Guys who grated on the vets who had lost more Finals games than these guys had ever coached.

Ugh.

So we passed on coaches who can't get their teams into the playoffs for a coach who also didn't get his team into the playoffs?
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233054/Jazz-Considering-Ettore-Messina-For-Head-Coaching-Job

Even the Jazz are thinking outside the box. Bet we're going to settle with a Byron Scott type scrub coach and delay the full rebuilding one or two years further. wow
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakurluv wrote:
If it's one thing that always bugged me about this organization it's their inability to make a decision and move quickly. Obviously Dantoni isn't the guy for this job. Every and Anyone knows this is probably THE most high profile job in sports as a coach and that's the type of guy that's needed. Someone that can handle the bright lights of Hollywood and all of it's personalities.

Whoever it will be, the FO needs to make a decision NOW! No way should Dantoni be coming out of an exit interview with this team's season the way it was and still have a job. Sorry that's just real talk!

Bank on that!

careful, thought out moves are one thing, but analysis paralysis is a real phenomena that cripples and kills people in power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

In this case you could definitely argue that Laker management suffers and HAS suffered from this. The missed opportunities to trade Gasol over and over for real assets is another symptom.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233054/Jazz-Considering-Ettore-Messina-For-Head-Coaching-Job

Even the Jazz are thinking outside the box. Bet we're going to settle with a Byron Scott type scrub coach and delay the full rebuilding one or two years further. wow

to be fair, where else can Utah turn to? it's not a popular place for big name coaches, so they have to dig deep in oversea pool or even NCAA ranks
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:

is mda fired yet?
do we have a replacement list?
do we have a new coach?

come on man
Liam_x7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

Bank on that!

A coaching change is whats needed for this team PERIOD

Do it and do it now. Let the New coach come in and throw ideas around etc Free Agents, Schemes etc

Hanging onto D'antoni is not helping anyone here any other team with that record and he would be out the Door
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

fan4life wrote:
Pass. He's a run of the mill coach, nothing special.

His best run was with the Nets and even then, most of the credit was given to a prime Jason Kidd, who carried that squad to b2b finals appearances.

His relationship with Kidd fell apart (well documented) and he's been accused of losing the Hornets and Cavs teams, resulting in his firings.

I have all the respect in the world for him given his time with the Lakers, but wouldn't want him coaching the team now or in the future.
he will always lose his mvp pg's. because a pg is a coach on the floor. if the coach on the floor doesnt see the winning fruits doing it coaches way. they will try to change it up themselves.

the real problem isnt bscott. its the fact he has never had better talent on his team then the team he has faced in the finals or the playoffs.

cp3 stop listening once he realized he would never beat an elite team. but is that on bscott? NO. thats on their FO for not bringing in top tier talent across the board. same goes for the nets.

give bscott a team that has more talent then his opponents in the playoffs and bscott will be a championship coach that wont lose his star PG.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Blade wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

Bank on that!

A coaching change is whats needed for this team PERIOD

Do it and do it now. Let the New coach come in and throw ideas around etc Free Agents, Schemes etc

Hanging onto D'antoni is not helping anyone here any other team with that record and he would be out the Door

Considering that teams can't even start talking to FA's until July 1, I think there's a little time.

Besides, with very very very few exceptions, coaches should not have anything to do with selecting players, be they free agents or rookies.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
It still amazes me how badly this got screwed up. Whether by Dr. Buss, Jim Buss, or whoever... we missed out on guys like BShaw, or Adelman, or Phil AGAIN, and for what? Mike Brown and Mike D'Antoni. Guys who grated on the vets who had lost more Finals games than these guys had ever coached.

Ugh.

So we passed on coaches who can't get their teams into the playoffs for a coach who also didn't get his team into the playoffs?

We also passed on a coach who isn't coaching at all and likely never will again.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
_#1_ wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I think we have a healthy Kobe next year, and that would mean a better season. Kobe has been challenged and is already working on succeeding with that challenge. He might not be the Kobe of 2010, but I think he will still be a top 10 player in the league next season. The wildcard is the draft pick, if he produces quickly I think the playoffs are a possibility.

Hold on there, you already flat out called the playoffs without all the ifs, ands, and butts .. backpedaling now. Getting weak in the knees?

one knows not to take any vlf prediction with nothing more than a grain of salt. he flip flops more than a burger.

I actually haven't made any predictions for next season.

Do you really believe some of the stuff you write, I mean really think it's real? Not joking either since it flies in the face of reality half the time.

ed: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:05 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chrisca91 wrote:
Next season will be just as bad.

vlf responed:

Next season will be a playoff season

classic. vintage.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject:

the two biggest issues Jim/Mitch has are:

1, too greedy in dealing Gasol. they had ample opportunities to deal him for a 1st round pick last couple years, but they were holding on for bigger prize and came up empty

2, too indecisive in which direction to go. they need to pick one and stick with it. a complete rebuild without Kobe or postponing the rebuild for couple more years to field another contender around Kobe. can't have it both ways, with Kobe's personalities, it'll be hard to rebuild when he's still on the team.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:

Wow? Nothing has even happened yet. I can understand P&Ming about things that have already happened, but it's ridiculous to do so with things that haven't even occurred yet.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

There's a big difference between "reactionary" and decisive. One can be decisive and still be careful and thoughtful. The implication that the only good decisions are the ones made ponderously is incorrect.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
Over in NY, Phil is a man on a mission....

I'd like the pro-activity; where can the Lakers buy some?

Reminds me of the great John Wooden quote.

Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be....John Wooden
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
deal wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
deal wrote:
Over in NY, Phil is a man one mission....

What exactly did he do that was so groundbreaking? He fired a coach. Same thing the Lakers will likely do soon.

LOL I know, right?

I have a strong feeling that alot of people here are going to overrate anything Phil Jackson does just because it's Phil Jackson.

Example..

Phil Jackson signs Earl Clark to two year partially guaranteed deal.

-> OMG why didn't Jimbo think of that? Phil Jackson just found A STEAL. Oh noez!!!!

Okay.. so maybe I exaggerated a bit.. but you get the idea.

I think Phil is making his move in removing the coach soon in order to get that ship straight...lets see if he does or doesn't get that rag team into the playoffs next season and if the Lakers can...

I think having the right coach is fundamental; will he hire the wrong person ala MJ or will he get it right, we'll see. Back to the Lakers, you can't build this into a run n gun team when your core is aging. It seems that the MDA decision should be basic but we'll see....

I think you missed my point all together...

Again, he fired the coach. That's it. Not even one move. More like half a move.

You really think that's being proactive? That's a man on a mission?

It's the equivalent of watching a guy building a house and judging how the house is going to look after he hammers one nail into one piece of wood.

Yes, it is important to have the right coach. Right now, the Knicks don't have any coach.

My guess is that you want everything done now. It doesn't work that way.

Nope don't want everything now. However, you have to start change not procrastinate it...
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:

I would add Messina to my list of coaches I'd like us to hire.....

JVG
SVG
Ollie
Cal
Messina
Coach K (although I'm worried he's a little too old)
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
deal wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
deal wrote:
Over in NY, Phil is a man one mission....

What exactly did he do that was so groundbreaking? He fired a coach. Same thing the Lakers will likely do soon.

LOL I know, right?

I have a strong feeling that alot of people here are going to overrate anything Phil Jackson does just because it's Phil Jackson.

Example..

Phil Jackson signs Earl Clark to two year partially guaranteed deal.

-> OMG why didn't Jimbo think of that? Phil Jackson just found A STEAL. Oh noez!!!!

Okay.. so maybe I exaggerated a bit.. but you get the idea.

I think Phil is making his move in removing the coach soon in order to get that ship straight...lets see if he does or doesn't get that rag team into the playoffs next season and if the Lakers can...

I think having the right coach is fundamental; will he hire the wrong person ala MJ or will he get it right, we'll see. Back to the Lakers, you can't build this into a run n gun team when your core is aging. It seems that the MDA decision should be basic but we'll see....

I think you missed my point all together...

Again, he fired the coach. That's it. Not even one move. More like half a move.

You really think that's being proactive? That's a man on a mission?

It's the equivalent of watching a guy building a house and judging how the house is going to look after he hammers one nail into one piece of wood.

Yes, it is important to have the right coach. Right now, the Knicks don't have any coach.

My guess is that you want everything done now. It doesn't work that way.

Nope don't want everything now. However, you have to start change not procrastinate it...

Okay.. but we're like.. not even a week removed from the exit interviews lol.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're in for a LOOONNNNGGG summer lol.

My recommendation is that you stay away from twitter. stay away from googling Mike D'Antoni's name or finding these articles from the boondock times that somehow has inside information on the Lakers inner workings. Doing so will help you immensely.

There's absolutely no need for anybody to over-react to any team not named the Lakers making a coaching change or promoting their ball boy to senior ball boy.

If after free agency begins and pre-season begins and there's no clear direction of where the Lakers are heading.. THEN by all means declare the sky is falling.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Well Thibodeau my be available

for those of you that thought he would be a good coach. The Bulls may very well be done!
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Well Thibodeau my be available

youcantguardme wrote:
for those of you that thought he would be a good coach. The Bulls may very well be done!

ya cause too many gm's/owner make a knee jerk reaction
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Bulls FO overreacting and firing Thibs would be a dream come true for the Lakers.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject:

No. I'm tired of offensive/defensive extremes. Can we just get a (bleep) balanced non-retread coach for once?
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:

LOL. I like Thibs an all.. but I shudder at the thought of coming onto the forum to hear people talk about how he's running his players into the ground. It'll probably be over-looked though because he "preaches defense" but stagnant offense be damned.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
LOL. I like Thibs an all.. but I shudder at the thought of coming onto the forum to hear people talk about how he's running his players into the ground. It'll probably be over-looked though because he "preaches defense" but stagnant offense be damned.

Lakers up by 25. Two minutes left in the fourth. Kobe has played 44 minutes. Thibs puts him in to close out the game.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145  Next
Page 141 of 145
Jump to: