Official [FREE AGENCY] Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2718, 2719, 2720 ... 2902, 2903, 2904  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
24 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
24 wrote:
The Lakers are doing this the right way. They are getting value contracts, either in amount or length, putting young, development talent together, while maintaining the ability to both sign and to trade for the high priced star talent they are after.

I can respect differences of opinion on the value, upside, and risk of players like Thomas, Bledsoe, Monroe, and Stevenson. It doesn't make you dumb to be high on Stevenson. It doesn't OTOH make the front office dumb for not sharing, or at least acting, consistently with your risk/reward model. As long as they are making the proper strategic moves (how to rebuild), I'm not beating them up over the tactical ones (which individual players to pursue).

I have concerns with the FO on a broad, strategic level, rather than their view of specific players. (like you-know-who) The best thing they could have done is take a shot on one or two of those young, developmental players on a long term contract, with Team Options. You have this group at 25 and under right now.

Julius Randle, 19 (signed long term)
Jeremy Lin, 25 (signed through '15)
Ed Davis, 25 (signed through '15)
Xavier Henry, 23 (signed through '15)
Ryan Kelly, 23 (signed through '16)
Robert Sacre, 25 (signed through '15)

The whole purpose of signing guys like this, rather than older vet min level FAs, is that these guys might become something more than they currently are...even if that just means being a solid rotational player. Why not sign them to longer deals, with Team Options, on the off chance that 1 or 2 of them become that? Even if it costs a little more than the vet minimum, I think it's a better use of money than the Hill & Young contracts. Unlike the others, Lin has already established himself as a legitimate NBA player, but in terms of rebuilding, I'd like to see us either extend him prior to FA, or trade him before the deadline to a contender that needs a 3rd guard. Letting him hit FA does nothing but drive his price up, and risks losing an asset for nothing, as we did with Pau this year.

I'm of the mind that it's essential to have contracts on the books that are team friendly.

I agree with your general template, and expect LA is going to take Lin for a test drive before extending or trading him. Extending him now would be premature IMO. You have that opportunity once you see what you have.

As to the other guys, not sure how you do the longer term thing. These guys are taking short term deals precisely because they don't want to lock in on cheap longer term deals. They are looking to prove themselves and get a better deal. Unless you want to go ahead and give them the better deal up front for the hoped upon upside. But that's not value. And there is no incentive for them ti take a long cheap deal. These contracts exist because of mutual interests.

Then how were Chandler Parsons and Patrick Beverley signed to such deals?

I think any second round pick will agree to guaranteed long term deals under a million because they need that financial security. But, this benefits the team long term as they are very low risk : moderate reward contracts. I think Houston was a pioneer in this and rest of the league started copying it. Lakers FO still doesn't get this and wants to sign second round picks to one year contracts for some strange reason.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
24 wrote:
The Lakers are doing this the right way. They are getting value contracts, either in amount or length, putting young, development talent together, while maintaining the ability to both sign and to trade for the high priced star talent they are after.

I can respect differences of opinion on the value, upside, and risk of players like Thomas, Bledsoe, Monroe, and Stevenson. It doesn't make you dumb to be high on Stevenson. It doesn't OTOH make the front office dumb for not sharing, or at least acting, consistently with your risk/reward model. As long as they are making the proper strategic moves (how to rebuild), I'm not beating them up over the tactical ones (which individual players to pursue).

I have concerns with the FO on a broad, strategic level, rather than their view of specific players. (like you-know-who) The best thing they could have done is take a shot on one or two of those young, developmental players on a long term contract, with Team Options. You have this group at 25 and under right now.

The whole purpose of signing guys like this, rather than older vet min level FAs, is that these guys might become something more than they currently are...even if that just means being a solid rotational player. Why not sign them to longer deals, with Team Options, on the off chance that 1 or 2 of them become that? Even if it costs a little more than the vet minimum, I think it's a better use of money than the Hill & Young contracts. Unlike the others, Lin has already established himself as a legitimate NBA player, but in terms of rebuilding, I'd like to see us either extend him prior to FA, or trade him before the deadline to a contender that needs a 3rd guard. Letting him hit FA does nothing but drive his price up, and risks losing an asset for nothing, as we did with Pau this year.

I'm of the mind that it's essential to have contracts on the books that are team friendly.

Disagree wholeheartedly, if the aim is to build a championship team.

Think about the assets we had to give u to move contracts like Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, etc.

Too many contracts will hamper flexibility.

Sasha Vujacic - 3 years, $15M
Luke Walton - 6 years, $30M

Patrick Beverley - 3 years, $1.99M
Chandler Parsons - 4 years, $3.62M (team option in 3rd & 4th years)

We're talking about two different things.
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Marc SteinVerified account ‏@ESPNSteinLine

ESPN sources say Mavs will be hosting free-agent point guard Jameer Nelson in Dallas for a face-to-face visit Thursday
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Those are nice deals. We need to improve our scouting, hoard picks and hit on some 2nd round talent like that.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Free agent point guard Jameer Nelson is scheduled to meet with the Mavericks for a face-to-face visit on Thursday, sources tell ESPN’s Marc Stein, who adds that Dallas is still equipped with its $2.7MM exception and hopes to ultimately complete a deal with the former All-Star. Stein also mentions that the Mavs are scheduled to meet with Mo Williams at some point this month

Ya, I knew our chance of getting those two would be low.

Mavs have a good shot of getting one of them with 2.7 mils.

Both could probably start for the Mavs, since Felton sucks really bad.

Many considered Mavs a top contending teams this year as well, so Mo and Nelson are probably interested.

I really want to add another solid vet PG though, not sure if FO can find or are they even trying to add one....

I like Clarkson, but he will be an up and down season I feel like, so it's better to add another vet PG to back up Lin. I wish Nash is healthy to give at least 12 minutes a night though, but that's wishful thinking....
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Those are nice deals. We need to improve our scouting, hoard picks and hit on some 2nd round talent like that.

M. Gasol was a find. I'm thinking and hoping that Kelly and Clarkson are hits as well.

Btw, we were the one's who initially picked Beverley....

Kiss my Converse.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
Quote:
Free agent point guard Jameer Nelson is scheduled to meet with the Mavericks for a face-to-face visit on Thursday, sources tell ESPN’s Marc Stein, who adds that Dallas is still equipped with its $2.7MM exception and hopes to ultimately complete a deal with the former All-Star. Stein also mentions that the Mavs are scheduled to meet with Mo Williams at some point this month

Many considered Mavs a top contending teams this year as well, so Mo and Nelson are probably interested.

I really want to add another solid vet PG though, not sure if FO can find or are they even trying to add one....

I like Clarkson, but he will be an up and down season I feel like, so it's better to add another vet PG to back up Lin. I wish Nash is healthy to give at least 12 minutes a night though, but that's wishful thinking....

Has anyone signed Nate Robinson? He would be a very good option as you know he can come in and produce, even in big moments.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

M. Gasol was a find. I'm thinking and hoping that Kelly and Clarkson are hits as well.

I dont know why kelly needed the 2 yr/mil deal

Look what bev/parsons got. Lakers should have given kelly same deal instead of the deal they gave him
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Jackobe wrote:
Quote:

Has anyone signed Nate Robinson? He would be a very good option as you know he can come in and produce, even in big moments.

I believe he is still with the Nuggets.
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Totally my idea and not based on any rumors but assuming Hill deal with Lakers is not official and the basic agreement could be amended to a 3-year deal with only the 1st year guaranteed what do you guys think of this potential trade:

Lakers trade: Jordan Hill(S&T), Steve Nash, Houston 1st
Lakers receive: Greg Monroe(S&T), Will Bynum

Pistons trade: Greg Monroe, Will Bynum
Pistons receive: Jordan Hill, Thaddeus Young

Sixers trade: Thaddeus Young
Sixers receive: Steve Nash, Houston 1st

To me, that's pretty good return for Detroit if they can't convince Monroe to sign long-term. Philly is trying to tank and having Young there doesn't help that goal. They gain more cap space next season if they finally decide to stop tanking and add free agents and get a 1st to aid the rebuild.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I dont know why kelly needed the 2 yr/mil deal

Look what bev/parsons got. Lakers should have given kelly same deal instead of the deal they gave him

I'm pretty sure Beverly and Parson got those in their rookie year.

Kelly already played one yr, so more proven would get you more money.

Lakers should have signed Kelly to a longer deal when he was a rookie, but I guess Lakers didn't know what he can really do in the NBA especially the fact that he was hurt at the time.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:

I believe he is still with the Nuggets.

Thanks, I think you are right. He is underrated.

I like the idea of another veteran PG on the radar behind Lin and Nash. Although Clarkson could very well be better than that vet PG, maybe Mo Williams?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Ya, I actually think we do a pretty good job when we actually have a draft pick. I know I'd feel pretty good right now if we signed Kelly to that kind of deal, and I'd like us to do that with Clarkson, provided that we liked what we saw in Summer League.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
24 wrote:

Disagree wholeheartedly, if the aim is to build a championship team.

Think about the assets we had to give u to move contracts like Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, etc.

Too many contracts will hamper flexibility.

Sasha Vujacic - 3 years, $15M
Luke Walton - 6 years, $30M

You're mixing a few things up. Parsons is a first round draft choice so he has a standard scale contract, first two years guaranteed, last two years as options. Houston did not exercise the option in order to lock him up quicker but then did not match the Dallas offer (but that is neither here nor there). He didn't negotiate and accept that contract on the open market.

Beverly actually is a two and a partial prorated minimum deal (signed mid season season before last) with a partial guarantee in the last year (this coming year). He wasn't in the league when he signed that deal. So it is somewhat similar to what la did with Sacre's deal and likely will with Clarkson.

But not sure what those two represent in terms of what La should do with the rest of the guys. I don't think Ed Davis is going to sign a three year minimum deal, even if you ask him nicely. He's looking for a shot to prove himself and get paid. If he doesn't get it from la, he goes elsewhere for the same or more money. I doubt Wes or x are interested in longer term minimum deals either. Both are hoping to break out and get paid. The Beverley deal is n aberration,
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Parsons was a 2nd round pick. That two years guaranteed, two years as options deal was Houston's choice, not a standardized contract.

If Ed Davis doesn't take that deal, then offer it to Malcolm Thomas. Or someone else who you like. Ed Davis' VORP is minimal at best.
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 10m
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar tweeted tonight he's in Indy to start offseason sessions with Roy Hibbert.

Hopefully he won't be a brat like Bynum and can learn something from this man and take his game to the next level.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 10m
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar tweeted tonight he's in Indy to start offseason sessions with Roy Hibbert.

Hopefully he won't be a brat like Bynum and can learn something from this man and take his game to the next level.

Is a smart move.

Maybe Cap should also tutor our center! Oh wait.....

Bye.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

I see what Kareem is doing.

Improve Hibbert's skills and most important form a strong relationship with him.

Then next offseason we can get Hibbert!

Signing Hibbert is way more realistic than other targets in 2015 FA.

An offensively improved Hibbert should be pretty good.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Hibbert is hopeless.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:
Totally my idea and not based on any rumors but assuming Hill deal with Lakers is not official and the basic agreement could be amended to a 3-year deal with only the 1st year guaranteed what do you guys think of this potential trade:

Lakers trade: Jordan Hill(S&T), Steve Nash, Houston 1st
Lakers receive: Greg Monroe(S&T), Will Bynum

Pistons trade: Greg Monroe, Will Bynum
Pistons receive: Jordan Hill, Thaddeus Young

Sixers trade: Thaddeus Young
Sixers receive: Steve Nash, Houston 1st

To me, that's pretty good return for Detroit if they can't convince Monroe to sign long-term. Philly is trying to tank and having Young there doesn't help that goal. They gain more cap space next season if they finally decide to stop tanking and add free agents and get a 1st to aid the rebuild.

Yeah Detroit is the biggest question mark. Young gives you a solid athletic forward that gives you length. I'm not sure that you can give a 3 year deal with two options, but maybe I'm wrong. LA would gain a talented big. We can't be too picky but he looks lost when people Iso on him. He does board well, and he can score from many areas. I'd do it depending on the contract for the talent, but I still don't like the fit.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to butt into this mod debate, but actually given the Lakers financial restraints the Lakers can not offer Clarkson more than a 2yr deal because he would have to be signed to the vet min or room exception. For a 2nd round pick to be signed to a long term 3-4yr deal he would have to be signed using the MLE, and we do not have access to that this season. This also explains why Kelly could not be signed to anything more than a 2yr deal last season. And in the case of Johnson, Henry, and others. I think everyone assumed that the Lakers situation was a 1yr thing and the Lakers proabably assumed they would reload with better role-players.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject:

30 wrote:
Sorry to butt into this mod debate, but actually given the Lakers financial restraints the Lakers can not offer Clarkson more than a 2yr deal because he would have to be signed to the vet min or room exception. For a 2nd round pick to be signed to a long term 3-4yr deal he would have to be signed using the MLE, and we do not have access to that this season. This also explains why Kelly could not be signed to anything more than a 2yr deal last season. And in the case of Johnson, Henry, and others. I think everyone assumed that the Lakers situation was a 1yr thing and the Lakers proabably assumed they would reload with better role-players.

Good point, I was unaware of this as well.

Quote:
50. What about second round draft picks? What rules do they operate under?

Unlike first round picks, who have a scale salary (see question number 49), second round picks do not have any specific salary restrictions. They may sign for any amount from the minimum to the maximum, but players who last to the second round of the draft seldom command more than the minimum salary.

Also unlike first round picks, teams do not receive a salary cap exception specifically for their second round picks. These players must be signed using cap room or an available exception (see question number 25), such as the Minimum Salary exception or the Mid-Level exception. It is most common for a second round pick to receive the minimum salary and be signed using the Minimum Salary exception. However, since the Minimum Salary exception limits contracts to two seasons, it is not uncommon for teams to use a portion of their Mid-Level exception in order to sign the player for three seasons. This gives the team full Bird rights at the end of the contract, and avoids the Gilbert Arenas provision (see question number 45).
'

Edit: But the Lakers could use the room exception left, if they aren't planning on signing anyone else, to sign Clarkson correct? I don't remember the exact amount that we used on Kelly but do we have enough left to offer the minimum to Clarkson?
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Hill is NOT being traded timing of all signing means he has to be last Lakers are not a douche team that woukd renig on a cerbal agreement deal with it and move on

You mean the same Lakers org that let it be known they were letting go of a bunch of staff at the end of the season ... during a playoff run?

Yeah, very classy.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
30 wrote:

Good point, I was unaware of this as well.

Quote:
50. What about second round draft picks? What rules do they operate under?

Unlike first round picks, who have a scale salary (see question number 49), second round picks do not have any specific salary restrictions. They may sign for any amount from the minimum to the maximum, but players who last to the second round of the draft seldom command more than the minimum salary.

Also unlike first round picks, teams do not receive a salary cap exception specifically for their second round picks. These players must be signed using cap room or an available exception (see question number 25), such as the Minimum Salary exception or the Mid-Level exception. It is most common for a second round pick to receive the minimum salary and be signed using the Minimum Salary exception. However, since the Minimum Salary exception limits contracts to two seasons, it is not uncommon for teams to use a portion of their Mid-Level exception in order to sign the player for three seasons. This gives the team full Bird rights at the end of the contract, and avoids the Gilbert Arenas provision (see question number 45).
'

Edit: But the Lakers could use the room exception left, if they aren't planning on signing anyone else, to sign Clarkson correct? I don't remember the exact amount that we used on Kelly but do we have enough left to offer the minimum to Clarkson?

Yes, but I believe that even if the Lakers use the remaining room exception to sign Clarkson it would only be a 2yr deal.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Is the room exception only available as 2 year deals as well? That makes sense why the Lakers didn't make such an offer to Kelly then, thanks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2718, 2719, 2720 ... 2902, 2903, 2904  Next
Page 2719 of 2904
Jump to: