Official [FREE AGENCY] Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2758, 2759, 2760 ... 2902, 2903, 2904  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
CBS Los Angeles ‏@CBSLA
#BREAKING: Judge rules Shelly Sterling can sell Los Angeles #Clippers to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for $2B. Go to http://cbsla.com .

He won't be able to appeal the decision?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
CBS Los Angeles ‏@CBSLA
#BREAKING: Judge rules Shelly Sterling can sell Los Angeles #Clippers to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for $2B. Go to http://cbsla.com .

Sad day in America.
Sterling deserves to own the company he bought.

yupe power + money can buy anything...in this case NBA
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
epak wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
CBS Los Angeles ‏@CBSLA

Sad day in America.

I don't get why the media is against Donald?
I wonder if they really feel that way, or if they're all just trying to be politically correct.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
epak wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
CBS Los Angeles ‏@CBSLA

Sad day in America.

I don't get why the media is against Donald?
I wonder if they really feel that way, or if they're all just trying to be politically correct.

politically correct. I mean if they supported Donald they would be called racist. as easy as that.

I think more people support different types of views depending on what would be good in public eyes. everybody is scared to talk their own view on it.

also pressure from NBA
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
CBS Los Angeles ‏@CBSLA

Sad day in America.

That's an over simplification. This situation is much more akin to being kicked out of the local country club than losing a company.

And I say that believing Sterling was likely set up. I don't feel bad for him for several reasons though.

-He got what was coming to him (he's been planting the seeds long ago, and the time to reap has come)
-He bought the team for $12M and is being forced to sell for $2B? Cry me a river
-It has got to be humbling for him to realize his money and power has limits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
CBS Los Angeles ‏@CBSLA

Sad day in America.

they are a franchise, very different than owning a company.
its probably closer to owning a fast food franchise, if you are racist to customers then you could lose your restaturant
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Since this is a Laker FA thread and not a Sterling/Clippers one - this is notable.

Quote:
Eric Pincus
@EricPincus
Interesting wrinkle - Xavier Henry was not re-signed to Lakers at minimum but for remaining room exception $1.082 million - 1yr deal

3:36pm · 28 Jul 2014

So I would think this means that 1) Clarkson is the 13th and final player given what we paid for his draft pick and 2) anyone from either camp or FA getting the minimum would incur the luxury tax match - extra million bucks I guess, give or take, relative to pay scale. Capologists, is that right?
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
epak wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
CBS Los Angeles ‏@CBSLA

Sad day in America.

That's an over simplification. This situation is much more akin to being kicked out of the local country club than losing a company.

And I say that believing Sterling was likely set up. I don't feel bad for him for several reasons though.

-He got what was coming to him (he's been planting the seeds long ago, and the time to reap has come)
-He bought the team for $12M and is being forced to sell for $2B? Cry me a river
-It has got to be humbling for him to realize his money and power has limits.

All that money is not gonna help him with his Dementia/Alzheimer's. His wife and family will be well off. I like Balmer as an owner, he'll probably be like Paul Allen and thats a good thing.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

laker_guerilla wrote:
Since this is a Laker FA thread and not a Sterling/Clippers one - this is notable.

Quote:
Eric Pincus
@EricPincus
Interesting wrinkle - Xavier Henry was not re-signed to Lakers at minimum but for remaining room exception $1.082 million - 1yr deal

So I would think this means that 1) Clarkson is the 13th and final player given what we paid for his draft pick and 2) anyone from either camp or FA getting the minimum would incur the luxury tax match - extra million bucks I guess, give or take, relative to pay scale. Capologists, is that right?

Xavier's vet min would be a 4 year vet salary min which is worth less than that 1.082m. Most people think vet min is 1.4m, but the amount depends on how many years a player has been in the league. It doesn't reach the ~1.4 value until around seven years in the league. (link)

By the way your point about the tax - I wouldn't worry about it. They are way under the threshold that punishes teams with the "repeater tax". Signing some more minimum contracts now won't really affect them much from a salary/tax standpoint.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:

So what type of deal can the Lakers give Clarkson?

?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:

?

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q50

Likely a contract of which the first year is $507,336. Can be partially or fully unguaranteed. Can be for more than one year.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:

?

Rookie minimum is $507,336
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
deal wrote:

?

Rookie minimum is $507,336

should be fine for Clarkson to sign.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
CBS Los Angeles ‏@CBSLA

Sad day in America.

Come on. I don't want to start seeing sterling defenders on this forum. Sterling deserved to lose his company. It's not a private entity he owns it's a franchise. There are rules that he has to abide by and being a racist breaks them.

Last edited by Rivershow on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
laker_guerilla wrote:

Quote:
Eric Pincus
@EricPincus

Xavier's vet min would be a 4 year vet salary min which is worth less than that 1.082m. Most people think vet min is 1.4m, but the amount depends on how many years a player has been in the league. It doesn't reach the ~1.4 value until around seven years in the league. (link)

By the way your point about the tax - I wouldn't worry about it. They are way under the threshold that punishes teams with the "repeater tax". Signing some more minimum contracts now won't really affect them much from a salary/tax standpoint.

thx Chron, good lookin out. My guess is they roll with this big 13, bring in camp fodder, and maybe have some flexibility to get a midseason FA or two based on injury/need. Odds are we are not going to get any other significant vet piece before camp. That's fine. Maybe I'm talking myself into it but the more I look at this roster the more I'm good with it. If Wes Johnson wins and holds his position I don't mind our 11 player rotation:

Starters
Lin
Bryant
Johnson
Boozer
Hill

Bench
Nash
Young
Henry
Randle
Davis
Kelly

Deep Bench
Sacre
Clarkson
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject:

The team has enough athleticism on the wing. The bigs are a little thin, but the team is going to rely heavily on Lin/Kobe to create.

Outside of Young and Randle (and I guess Nash), there aren't many guys who can consistently create for themselves. Even Randle is a question mark. Boozer is solid, but he is no Pau. Hill will be more serviceable than Kaman defensively/rebounding/fitting in offense but at least Kaman could score the ball.

If the team gels well and everyone stays healthy, I can see a playoff push. That's a big if though.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
deal wrote:

?

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q50

Likely a contract of which the first year is $507,336. Can be partially or fully unguaranteed. Can be for more than one year.

Sounds good., hope the FO can get it done soon.

Thanks
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I honestly rather have a veteran FA over Clarkson... don't get me wrong... Clarkson seems like a bright young kid who's gonna be a solid pro for a long time... but he should play in the D-League for a year or 2 then he can come join the Lakers.
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I honestly rather have a veteran FA over Clarkson... don't get me wrong... Clarkson seems like a bright young kid who's gonna be a solid pro for a long time... but he should play in the D-League for a year or 2 then he can come join the Lakers.

and the vet is supposed to do what ? help win 43 games instead of 40 ? i think with the situation this team is in, no way you waste a chance to sign a young promising looking player instead of a savy veteran.

i agree that some overrate clarkson though, if he would be that great no way we would still have not signed him by now
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject:

We have his rights, there's no rush to sign him. What if he has a serious injury like an ACL or achilles before training camp? What if we need those roster spaces for a trade? No need to sign him now, better to wait.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject:

laker_guerilla wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
laker_guerilla wrote:

Quote:
Eric Pincus
@EricPincus

thx Chron, good lookin out. My guess is they roll with this big 13, bring in camp fodder, and maybe have some flexibility to get a midseason FA or two based on injury/need. Odds are we are not going to get any other significant vet piece before camp. That's fine. Maybe I'm talking myself into it but the more I look at this roster the more I'm good with it. If Wes Johnson wins and holds his position I don't mind our 11 player rotation:

Starters
Lin
Bryant
Johnson
Boozer
Hill

Bench
Nash
Young
Henry
Randle
Davis
Kelly

Deep Bench
Sacre
Clarkson

Like would love if we can get bledsoe for nash/1st & have 2 pg's on floor with kobe at 3

This way we always have 2/3 of kobe/young/bledsoe/lin on floor
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:
and the vet is supposed to do what ? help win 43 games instead of 40 ? i think with the situation this team is in, no way you waste a chance to sign a young promising looking player instead of a savy veteran.

i agree that some overrate clarkson though, if he would be that great no way we would still have not signed him by now

My assessment had to do more with Clarkson's development then a veteran FA helping the Lakers out.... I also think that we can use that extra roster space to fill out either the C or SF spot... like the other guy said there is no need to rush to sign someone who's gonna probably play garbage minutes for most of the games next year unless unfortunate injuries occur.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Not sure why you want to tell him to go play for a d league contract and get better, and then when he is, come back to the team that wouldn't pay him to begin with.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
epak wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Quote:
CBS Los Angeles ‏@CBSLA

Sad day in America.

He can only blame himself.

He set up the family trust to dodge estate taxes and signed the trust agreement that had a process to remove him as co-trustee (probably to avoid a lengthy process if the cancer incapacitated him - or he was planning on ousting Shelly). He's also the one who remained married to Shelly.

1 - Were the team not held by the trust, there'd be no way to remove him as 50% owner.

2 - Had he put tighter requirements on the removal of a trustee, he'd likely have had a year or so to fight it.

3 - He could've divorced Shelly years ago and bought her out, making himself the sole owner of everything, but he was too cheap and preferred to stay in a sham marriage.

The guy was the worst kind of lawyer who used the legal system to bleed his enemies and now he is done in by the legal system. I call that justice.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject:

NBA statement on Sterling ruling

Quote:
"We are pleased that the court has affirmed Shelly Sterling's right to sell the Los Angeles Clippers to Steve Ballmer.
We look forward to the transaction closing as soon as possible."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2758, 2759, 2760 ... 2902, 2903, 2904  Next
Page 2759 of 2904
Jump to: