Official [FREE AGENCY] Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2885, 2886, 2887 ... 2902, 2903, 2904  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if the Lakers try to sign JJ Barea if anything he's another player to have just in case of an injury.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Parsons was a rfa. The decission to keep him was Houston's to make. They didn't think he was worth sacrificing their near term cap flexibility. That's probably the right choice if you feel your a couple years away. But Howard made the move ostensibly to contend now. Add the departure of depth at backup Center and PG, and it's definitely a step back.

Parsons wasn't worth the contract. But it was short and if you're trying to contend, you suck it up and pay market.

Parson's is not significantly better than his replacement (Ariza). Definitely not to the point where you pay him nearly twice as much. Not paying him the max is the right decision whether or not you are trying to contend immediately or a few years away, if he is gonna be your 3rd piece. It would have made sense if a 3rd star were already there and we were capped out anyway (ie Bosh).

Now deciding to let him out of a $1M deal and walk for nothing, that was a clear mistake.

Dream , you're confusing contract year Trevor with the one Houston has. He's on a 4-year deal on a team whose best player (Harden) makes it impossible to have defensive accountability. You may not see Parsons as significantly better as a player. But his playmaking was strategically important. Trevor has a lot of qualities, but none in that category.

As for letting him out a year early, I suppose I agree if only to say that when you do that it's with a willingness to do whatever the market dictates in leveraging rfa. So I guess it's indivisible.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Look - Houston shot for the fences and struck out. I can't fault them at all for taking a shot at Bosh, especially with the potential of adding him and keeping Parsons, but anyone who is content with the outcome is lying to themselves. Parsons may be overpaid, but there's no question that he is a better, more versatile, and more valuable player than Ariza. Not only that, but he is a much better fit in their system.

I understand conserving money and cap space, but that's something you do when you're rebuilding and still looking for cornerstone players. The Rockets already have them (at least they better hope so), so saving a few million on their 3rd/4th option isn't going to help them very much. This isn't a case of the Rockets refusing to pay Parsons so that they can sign a better player with the resulting cap space. This is a case of them replacing him with an inferior player and having space for added depth, at best.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
Look - Houston shot for the fences and struck out. I can't fault them at all for taking a shot at Bosh, especially with the potential of adding him and keeping Parsons, but anyone who is content with the outcome is lying to themselves. Parsons may be overpaid, but there's no question that he is a better, more versatile, and more valuable player than Ariza. Not only that, but he is a much better fit in their system.

I understand conserving money and cap space, but that's something you do when you're rebuilding and still looking for cornerstone players. The Rockets already have them (at least they better hope so), so saving a few million on their 3rd/4th option isn't going to help them very much. This isn't a case of the Rockets refusing to pay Parsons so that they can sign a better player with the resulting cap space. This is a case of them replacing him with an inferior player and having space for added depth, at best.

Very much so. If Morey was such a "genius" The moment that Parsons bolted for Dallas he could have helped his team a lot by offering 500 thousand more than Ariza got to structure a 9 million dollar contract that could have signed.. oh I dunno... Lance Stephenson?

That is the guy Morey should have went hard after because Lance would have fit their plan and one could argue he'd have been better than Parsons on defense and can do what he can do on offense as well as pass.

But nope, he gets Trevor Ariza whom is great as a 4th option but terrible as anything above it. Which means that if Dwight and Harden are 2 and 1. Then who is the 3rd? Terrance Jones? X_X Cause if that's the case.. they're in trouble.

So my question is why overpay Ariza when Stephenson could be had for just 500 thousand more? Cause Morey isn't a genius.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject:

Alonzo Gee could still be an option for the Lakers according to Sam Amico:

LAKERS NATION
Quote:
The Lakers have a need at small forward and could use a player of Gee’s caliber if available.
Wesley Johnson will likely be the starter at the three spot for Los Angeles, but Gee could make a case to be the starter or at least the first option off the bench with a solid camp and preseason.

Quote:
Alonzo Gee is expected to be waived by the Kings prior to the start of training camp after he was acquired along with Scotty Hopson in the deal that sent Jason Terry to the Rockets.

GEE WHIZ 2U

Last edited by pio2u on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject:

High flyer, Shannon Brown like, good on the offensive rebound for putback dunks

He's X without the ball handling ability to pretend to be a point guard.

I'd say Wayne Ellington would possibly be a more effective fit between the two if you're looking for insurance for X. But Gee fits fine into doing what X does and dunking wise he's more Shannon Brown while X is more power oriented though Gee made Anderson look foolish for jumping.

Gee specializes at getting out on the fast break and looking in the air for your lobs and since Byron wants to run the break when the young guys are out there it wouldn't surprise me to see Gee in the camp he's exciting and a high leaper you can throw the pass anywhere in the direction of the rim and he'll get it so Lakers fans would enjoy him on that side anyway.

If you want to see what Alonzo Gee brings here you go

Therein are dunks on Dahntay Jones, the Celtics, Chris Anderson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh and a slew of others. He's a go getter on the offensive glass and in his best season with Scott had 5 rebounds a game in 29 mins played. That's where his athleticism suits him. His minutes were cut under Brown so you didn't see much of him. But Gee is essentially X but can get up a little higher on the rebounding side just a little less reckless and understands his game a little more at this point as he should he's been in the league 6 years.

So Gee is someone it wouldn't take Lakers fans very long to like, and if Byron wants to run with the second unit young team or if we'll need more options at some spots when Kobe is sitting back to backs then Gee is your guy, or Ellington, I suspect both could get camp invites and a chance to prove themselves.

But Gee probably becomes a fan favorite if given the opportunity. We'll see if he can replicate what he did in Cleveland IF he gets the invite and makes the team. Both him and X need to work on three point shooting, both leap out of the building, Gee a bit more though X has the better handle and slashing, Gee is the better free throw shooter and when he drives with confidence can be a devastating finisher.

Both of them work well for what Scott wants to do.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject:

Gee & Ellington would be nice camp invites. Either one could help the team. We should extend a camp invite to a center. Point guard JJ Berea is also available.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Gee & Ellington would be nice camp invites. Either one could help the team. We should extend a camp invite to a center. Point guard JJ Berea is also available.

Ellington makes sense since he is a TarHeel and can still shoot. However, it remains to be seen if another team picks him up or he goes overseas for more PT and $.

Gee would be nice too. Nice athletic player.

Tyler is still someone I'd invite.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject:

Tell the wolves we will absorb JJ's contract AND help them out by taking Gorgui off their hands too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Dream , you're confusing contract year Trevor with the one Houston has.

No I'm not. Parsons isn't worth almost double the non-contract year Ariza either. I agree that Parsons is better, but it's not significant. Parsons playmaking was important. Ariza's defense, which has always been consistent in his career, is also important. They bring different qualities. Ariza is a suitable replacement. As far as Harden making it impossible to have defensive accountability, that's really a stretch. A team with 3 quality defenders in the lineup (Howard, Ariza and Beverly), with one of them being a great defensive pivot should be fine with a negative defender like Harden in the lineup.

Laker's Fan wrote:
As for letting him out a year early, I suppose I agree if only to say that when you do that it's with a willingness to do whatever the market dictates in leveraging rfa. So I guess it's indivisible.

I understand why he took the risk, but he failed to close the deal, so he made an error. He took a good swing and struck out.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:

That's not true and actually is not what Morey is doing. He's still star chasing, which is why every guy he is signing (outside of Ariza) is on a short deal that he can easily get out of. Giving Parsons the max would have put the team behind the 8-ball as far as adding other top talent, and he didn't feel like Parsons was good enough to limit the teams options. He is still currently chasing a player that is. Now one could argue that being so focused on a 3rd star player as opposed to rounding out the team when you already have 2 (ie get a serviceable player for Asik instead of a tradeable pick) is not the right path, but he clearly isn't saving space for depth or being cheap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Jeffs wrote:

That's not true and actually is not what Morey is doing. He's still star chasing, which is why every guy he is signing (outside of Ariza) is on a short deal that he can easily get out of. Giving Parsons the max would have put the team behind the 8-ball as far as adding other top talent, and he didn't feel like Parsons was good enough to limit the teams options. He is still currently chasing a player that is. Now one could argue that being so focused on a 3rd star player as opposed to rounding out the team when you already have 2 (ie get a serviceable player for Asik instead of a tradeable pick) is not the right path, but he clearly isn't saving space for depth or being cheap.

So I guess Ariza and Houston obviously left on good enough terms that he returned as a free agent. Was there any previous bitterness from Ariza re: Houston?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So I guess Ariza and Houston obviously left on good enough terms that he returned as a free agent. Was there any previous bitterness from Ariza re: Houston?

There didn't appear to be (going off memory). We promised him a chance to have an expanded role and he didn't do too well with it (that's not his game). It's not like we offered him a ton of support on the court though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

There didn't appear to be (going off memory). We promised him a chance to have an expanded role and he didn't do too well with it (that's not his game). It's not like we offered him a ton of support on the court though.

I liked Ariza a lot and was sad to see him go. Hope he plays well, but of course not against the Lakers.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject:

Just read a grantland article about the bucks getting Bledsoe. Was no more well thought out than the random trade proposals and pipe suggestions in here

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/we-have-to-get-eric-bledsoe-on-the-bucks/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
gus26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject:

i don't care about the rockets.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Just read a grantland article about the bucks getting Bledsoe. Was no more well thought out than the random trade proposals and pipe suggestions in here

That's because, with the exception of Zach Lowe and, to a lesser extent, Goldsberry, the vast majority of their bball-folk are dog (bleep).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject:

gus26 wrote:

I SECOND!!!!!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
22 wrote:

That's because, with the exception of Zach Lowe and, to a lesser extent, Goldsberry, the vast majority of their bball-folk are dog (bleep).

hahahahaaha you're so right! With the quality of that article I could easily qualify for a job writitng for them lol
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject:

.. F.A. MOVEMENT:
Quote:
• Louis Amundson will be in training camp with the Cleveland Cavaliers, agent Mark Bartelstein confirms to HoopsHype.
• Jeff Zillgitt: Nets have voided the contract of Hamady Ndiaye after Ndiaye failed a physical.
• Wizards sign Damion James per RealGM
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

i hope the pacers start losing so we can get Hibbert. he is almost the best defensive player in the nba

hill/houston 1st/ 2nd/our 2nd and dump nash to get Hibbert.

sign him to extension next yr and we have Hibbert/Randle for next 5-8yrs
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
gus26 wrote:

I SECOND!!!!!!

Unfortunately we need to keep an eye on their progress and hopefully some moderate success.

If they miss the playoffs the Lakers do not get their 1st rounder. If they get a high seed the Lakers only get a worse pick.

At this point my fantasy scenario is HOU 8th seed. Lakers 7th seed. And a much improved East keeps the HOU pick in the 15-18 range next year.

As for he Clipper 2nd rounder, I will not even try to envision a scenario that keeps that extremely limited pick for the Lakers.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
pio2u wrote:
gus26 wrote:

I SECOND!!!!!!

Unfortunately we need to keep an eye on their progress and hopefully some moderate success.

If they miss the playoffs the Lakers do not get their 1st rounder. If they get a high seed the Lakers only get a worse pick.

At this point my fantasy scenario is HOU 8th seed. Lakers 7th seed. And a much improved East keeps the HOU pick in the 15-18 range next year.

As for he Clipper 2nd rounder, I will not even try to envision a scenario that keeps that extremely limited pick for the Lakers.

i agree. just out of spite tough, I dont want Howard to make playoffs & for us to make it.

didnt he go to win now...would be damm funny
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
pio2u wrote:
gus26 wrote:

I SECOND!!!!!!

i agree. just out of spite tough, I dont want Howard to make playoffs & for us to make it.

didnt he go to win now...would be damm funny

Sorry... I'm greedy. I want the best possible 1st rounder and the humiliation that Houston will have to endure when the Lakers finish ahead of them.

I know it has been hotly debated elsewhere. And this will probably get Dreamshake's panties in a bunch but I think HOU could be a team that drops out of the playoffs this year.

Not expecting the Lakers to take the spot but I will hoping they find a way to make it .
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I understand why he took the risk, but he failed to close the deal, so he made an error. He took a good swing and struck out.

About this: http://rockets.clutchfans.net/7680/rockets-honored-dwight-howard-agent-agreement-chandler-parsons-contract/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2885, 2886, 2887 ... 2902, 2903, 2904  Next
Page 2886 of 2904
Jump to: