OFFICIAL NICK YOUNG THREAD....He signed for 1 year with GSW....Goodbye Swaggy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Nick Young should of been given a 2 year deal though, that was a HUGE mistake by the FO.

To be fair, there were a lot of people at the time who cheered it as a sweetheart deal due to a hometown discount.

Then again, there were a lot of people who cheered the Dwight/Nash offseason trades.

Hindsight is 20/20.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Nick Young and a 2nd round pick for Jarret Jack works and I can see BKN doing it they need someone beside JJ to spread the floor.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Nick Young should of been given a 2 year deal though, that was a HUGE mistake by the FO.

To be fair, there were a lot of people at the time who cheered it as a sweetheart deal due to a hometown discount.

Then again, there were a lot of people who cheered the Dwight/Nash offseason trades.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I remember questioning to myself at the time why they gave him a 4 year deal. A 2 year seemed a lot more logical just in that they would be able to move him more easily if he didn't meet expectations. You are right about hindsight though in that I didn't see him becoming a distraction so soon.
WOX_69
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
It is amazing to me how many turn on a guy on a dime.

The beginning of the season he was our best player after Kobe. They both started the season playing great. Everyone was loving Swaggy P here (at least almost everyone) and enjoying his attitude and personality. Then he had a sudden stretch of bad games and the Swaggy hate started and has only increased thru his down time with his knee.

Turn on the guy? That assumes we ever liked him in the first place. Well, I'm sure some here did but no way in hell did I.

I hated him last year and I hate him ever more this year. And he was no way in any shape or form the best player after Kobe...ever. He has one game every 10 where he doesn't look like a bum. And his play style is so horrid that it makes me almost throw up.

His personaility sucks, his attitude sucks, his play style is awful, his talents are almost no where to be found, the only reason why he's relevant at all is because of his even more overrated girlfriend.

Resigning him was a pure TMZ move. Just to throw people that care about that crap in seats instead of thinking about winning or the future. He had and has and will never have any bussiness being a Laker here. Everytime he wears that damn uniform I'm disgusted.

Finally someone who feels the exact way I do about Nick Young. It's good to see that there are some actual Laker fans out there that aren't stupid fanboys/fangirls of this dude.

((PLEASE REFRAIN FROM NAMECALLING - JMK))
Underdogg812
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:

The way he presented himself, you could see that it probably wasn't a good fit for the Lakers. The clashes with B Scott, the post game interviews...J Worthy and R Horry's reactions to those interviews, Kobe on Kimmel, etc. Now there's an article where he blames the basketball rim for his bad shooting this year! Really?! That's too bad because he does have the talent and he likes being a Laker.

Last edited by Underdogg812 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/4/14/8415399/nick-young-swaggy-p-blames-rim-for-struggles-lakers-nba
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
AirShooter wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20.

I remember questioning to myself at the time why they gave him a 4 year deal. A 2 year seemed a lot more logical just in that they would be able to move him more easily if he didn't meet expectations. You are right about hindsight though in that I didn't see him becoming a distraction so soon.

I believe the prevailing notion at the time was that the Lakers were able to get him on a lower dollar figure per annum due to the extra years. And that if he worked out, great for the team to have him locked in. And if he didn't, then the small dollar figure would become increasingly inconsequential as it became a smaller percentage of the cap with each yearly cap increase (and thus presumably easier to move/waive). There was an expectation of him signing a higher per year salary figure given the higher stats he posted in a garbage year after Kobe's injury (look at others who got paid from that squad, like Meeks). And the lower per year dollar figure deal Mitch signed him to was considered an achievement due a hometown discount.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
AirShooter wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20.

I believe the prevailing notion at the time was that the Lakers were able to get him on a lower dollar figure per annum due to the extra years. And that if he worked out, great for the team to have him locked in. And if he didn't, then the small dollar figure would become increasingly inconsequential as it became a smaller percentage of the cap with each yearly cap increase (and thus presumably easier to move/waive). There was an expectation of him signing a higher per year salary figure given the higher stats he posted in a garbage year after Kobe's injury (look at others who got paid from that squad, like Meeks). And the lower per year dollar figure deal Mitch signed him to was considered an achievement due a hometown discount.

No, I found it to be another one of the typical Mitch contract where he locks a player too long and after underperforming or doesn't fit we have to dump assets to get rid of them a season or two later.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/4/14/8415399/nick-young-swaggy-p-blames-rim-for-struggles-lakers-nba

Or maybe the Rim is just not that into you Nicky? Maybe the Rim knows you have no game.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Nick Young and a 2nd round pick for Jarret Jack works and I can see BKN doing it they need someone beside JJ to spread the floor.

With Deron past his peak, there will likely be continued minutes at PG for Jarrett while Nick would be a poor candidate to cover minutes at PG for the Nets.

His contract has two future years while Nick's contract has two future years plus a Player Option year.

However, Jack's contract is about $1 million a year higher than Nick's contract.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Underdogg812 wrote:
The way he presented himself, you could see that it probably wasn't a good fit for the Lakers. The clashes with B Scott, the post game interviews...J Worthy and R Horry's reactions to those interviews, Kobe on Kimmel, etc. Now there's an article where he blames the basketball rim for his bad shooting this year! Really?! That's too bad because he does have the talent and he likes being a Laker.

Worthy and Horry loved Swaggy P!!
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject:

WOX_69 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
It is amazing to me how many turn on a guy on a dime.

The beginning of the season he was our best player after Kobe. They both started the season playing great. Everyone was loving Swaggy P here (at least almost everyone) and enjoying his attitude and personality. Then he had a sudden stretch of bad games and the Swaggy hate started and has only increased thru his down time with his knee.

Turn on the guy? That assumes we ever liked him in the first place. Well, I'm sure some here did but no way in hell did I.

I hated him last year and I hate him ever more this year. And he was no way in any shape or form the best player after Kobe...ever. He has one game every 10 where he doesn't look like a bum. And his play style is so horrid that it makes me almost throw up.

His personaility sucks, his attitude sucks, his play style is awful, his talents are almost no where to be found, the only reason why he's relevant at all is because of his even more overrated girlfriend.

Resigning him was a pure TMZ move. Just to throw people that care about that crap in seats instead of thinking about winning or the future. He had and has and will never have any bussiness being a Laker here. Everytime he wears that damn uniform I'm disgusted.

Finally someone who feels the exact way I do about Nick Young. It's good to see that there are some actual Laker fans out there that aren't stupid fanboys/fangirls of this dude.

That is a big no-no here!!
mykeinla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Typical dumb and unfunny soundbite by the most overexposed and underwhelming "characters" this franchise has ever signed. At this point, he's not a player any more: just a joke and a cautionary tale.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
AirShooter wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20.

I did. Way too many similarities between him and JR Smith, and we know how that played out that with Byron. Well, I guess management didn't. They just hope for the best on everything.
VALakerFan80
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Please get rid of this dumbass... He's not Laker material!
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
kwase wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
No one's taking this bum's contract.

I just don't understand why the FO signs Lin/Young to multi-year deals when they knew the team was going to stink anyway. Now we're stuck with these bums.

Lin wasn't signed, he was traded for, and his contract isn't multi year, it is over this year.

Good! I hope the team sends him packing!
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject:

I hope we can trade him.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, his value is even lower than the zero it usually is around the league. They will probably have to wait until next season and hope that Young plays better so they can find a trade where they don't have to dump an asset to get rid of him. Most likely, they are stuck with him. You don't give N.Young a 4 year contract, heck even 3 is one too many. Keep him on a short contract and he stays hungry, and if not, then he expires quick. Give him 4 guaranteed years, and you get what we witnessed this year.
mykeinla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

Underdogg812 wrote:

He likes being a Laker for the perks: big stage, paparazzi, etc. He doesn't give a damn about the team and whether it wins or not. So long as he gets his usual stupid and unfunny sound bite on TV or he makes the occasional highlight film in which he celebrates hitting a three when we're down by 35, then he's happy.

Bottom line is that he's a loser. You can't build on a foundation of losers.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject:

I'm not as down on Young as many as some.

He obviously had a bad season, but so did Kobe.

He struggled with some injuries and wasn't healthy for a good portion of the year.

If we could get something for him I'd pull the trigger, but if not just keep him on the roster. Keep him on a short leash.

He had a very good season last year in 2013-2014 and I believe was second in sixth man of the year.

He's still only 30 so he can still regain that form.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

VALakerFan80 wrote:
Please get rid of this dumbass... He's not Laker material!

And what is Laker material now?

Wes Johnson? Jordan Hill? Robert Sacre?

Beggars cannot be choosy.

Nick Young provided entertainment and can be a contributor. Last year he almost won the 6th man of the year. This year with a new coach Young was held back. If D Antoni was here, it would be different.

At the Laker All Access, it was Nick, Jeremy and Ellington providing levity during a dreadful season.

FO simply is making poor decisions. With Jeremy and Nick on your team, you keep D Antoini. Instead they bring in B Scott and you have the worse team in franchise history. B Scott would be better if you had intense players like CPaul, KB, etc.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

If they want to spread the floor, why are the going to be interested in Nick Young?

In the future, it might be a good idea to actually look at how a player has performed recently before describing their game. Checking their injury status is another pretty good idea.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

If they want to spread the floor, why are the going to be interested in Nick Young?

In the future, it might be a good idea to actually look at how a player has performed recently before describing their game. Checking their injury status is another pretty good idea.

He posted that exact same thing like 3 times on another thread. Why the HELL would any team looking to spread the floor want a guy who was shooting 36% from the field? He had a better(by a few tenths) 3 point shooting percentage than his overall field goal percentage. That's alarming.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Heard today Lakers have no plans to trade Nick Young. Called around seeking suitors so they could clear cap room quickly. Didn't materialize

https://twitter.com/billoram/status/620820124006649856
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Heard today Lakers have no plans to trade Nick Young. Called around seeking suitors so they could clear cap room quickly. Didn't materialize

https://twitter.com/billoram/status/620820124006649856

So the rest of the league thinks he's worthless even with a relatively cap friendly deal. At one point, he was way overrated on LG, but I didn't think the entire NBA thought so little of him when the Lakers clearly made it known that they were trying to give him away along with Kelly and Sacre.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 37 of 83
Jump to: