What are your thoughts on racism (against any "race") in the United States? Does it exist? How bad is it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject:

NickF wrote:
I myself have been discriminated against as a white european immigrant at work (by non immigrant whites).

That's because we'll take the Chinese and the African Americans, but not the Irish...
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
A lot of people use the excuse of playing the race card and actually going out and getting a job or succeeding in life. It's a cop out and a lazy unproductive in your life. Quit blaming others and take care of yourself. Doesn't matter what race you are America is a free country and you can do what ever you want. Yes there is still racism today and quit obvious a lot of it is toward white people just on this board. The Zimmerman case had nothing to do with a WHITE guy it was a Latino vs a Black guy and the media and IDOTS tried starting a race war with White and Blacks and bottom line that should not be an issue. It sad a lot of you have to look at it black and white instead of Human Beaning. Sorry to burst yalls bubble but there's not a race that is better then the other. Focus on positive things and maybe things will change but with how many people focus on the negative is the problem. Change yourself and stop with the excuses. We have a half Black half White president and he sucks. I don't give a dam what color he is he is a terrible president and many give him a free pass because he's Black. That's racism at the highest level. Iv been discriminated upon we all have get over it. That's my opinion. Plus people bashing cops you think there not constantly getting harassed and called pig etc. Plus you don't think women get it worse. It happens to everybody.

I love some of your drug examples. did you guys know when you do an illegal act and get caught you go to jail. Wow what a concept right. Don't slang drugs, work hard and be a model citizen then you probably won't go to jail no matter what race you are.

The world is very negative place with media only focusing on negative news. I get trapped in it as well. There was a story a Black male saves a 5 year that was being kidnapped. Stories like that happen everyday and I am working on paying attention to that then mainstream media pushing there agenda on both sides of the fence. As people we need to stand up for each other and theirs to much good in people to be focusing on the bad in people.

I'm going to take a stab at this. Not because I might offer you some insight; obviously your mind is made up. But, just in case someone else reads this and thinks there is value to your diatribe I want to dissuade them.

I have worked from the time I was sixteen. I bet most here have worked most of their lives as well. Few want an unproductive life. It is against human nature. We would die out if this were true. But some, in all societies, from the the time we were upright, just can't fit in. We don't focus on this group, those few, except to maybe make their miserable lives a bit better. Instead, we focus the the vast majority, those productive souls, those potentially productive souls, and those future productive souls that keep it all going. You want to focus on the mythical (from a pervasive sense) welfare queen as though this is the norm rather than the exception, and as though the only place we spend our money. Go to a map. Look for that great big continent called Africa. Go East (to the right) and you will see Saudi Arabia, then Iraq. This is where we have spent, or will spend $2,000,000,000,000 to 3,000,000,000,000.

Entitlement spending has indeed increased. Much of this is SNAP and unemployment insurance, for those, often through no fault of their own, who were devastated and became unemployed due to the Financial Crisis.

Race is a huge part of the Zimmerman case. Now I don't agree with those who think Zimmerman was, consciously at least, acting as a racist. But I live in my nice little, mostly safe neighborhood, with people waving hello to the police as they drive by. So maybe my perspective is not the best. Maybe your's isn't either. But I've heard many who believe that if the roles were reversed, that if Zimmerman (now the victim) was shot, Trayvon would be in cuffs faster than 16 year old with a hooker. I don't know, but there are just too many people who live in this world who feel race is present every day, and there are too many attorney's out there that tell us the system is rigged, and it's all about race and money. Again, I stay out of the courtroom as best I can so I rely on others for this: others with credibility and experience. If race isn't an issue, then all those people marching in the street sure got it wrong.

You say, when we do an illegal act we go to jail. No, some of us do an illegal act and go to jail and some of us don't. As for drugs, the same substance less baking soda (less pure), preferred by whites and is more mainstream (powdered cocaine), the penalty was 5 years for 500 grams prior to Obama signing the Fair Sentencing Act. For crack, prevalent in the inner city, and, as we're told, the drug of preference with blacks, it was 5 years for 5 grams (notice the lack of zeros) The act lessened the discrepancy in punishment, but didn't eliminate it. You're right, if no one used drugs, then no one would go to jail. And if no one murdered, or committed robbery or swindled, no one would go to jail either. But we must live in the real world, and as we do, the punishment must fit the crime.

You say to work hard. Though maybe my knowledge is a bit limited, didn't a gal, with a Master's Degree (now there's some hard work) who had never been arrested, fire a gun in the air, as an act of self protection, and got 20 years. She was black. Working hard isn't always the answer.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
realking24 wrote:
A lot of people use the excuse of playing the race card and actually going out and getting a job or succeeding in life. It's a cop out and a lazy unproductive in your life. Quit blaming others and take care of yourself. Doesn't matter what race you are America is a free country and you can do what ever you want. Yes there is still racism today and quit obvious a lot of it is toward white people just on this board. The Zimmerman case had nothing to do with a WHITE guy it was a Latino vs a Black guy and the media and IDOTS tried starting a race war with White and Blacks and bottom line that should not be an issue. It sad a lot of you have to look at it black and white instead of Human Beaning. Sorry to burst yalls bubble but there's not a race that is better then the other. Focus on positive things and maybe things will change but with how many people focus on the negative is the problem. Change yourself and stop with the excuses. We have a half Black half White president and he sucks. I don't give a dam what color he is he is a terrible president and many give him a free pass because he's Black. That's racism at the highest level. Iv been discriminated upon we all have get over it. That's my opinion. Plus people bashing cops you think there not constantly getting harassed and called pig etc. Plus you don't think women get it worse. It happens to everybody.

I love some of your drug examples. did you guys know when you do an illegal act and get caught you go to jail. Wow what a concept right. Don't slang drugs, work hard and be a model citizen then you probably won't go to jail no matter what race you are.

The world is very negative place with media only focusing on negative news. I get trapped in it as well. There was a story a Black male saves a 5 year that was being kidnapped. Stories like that happen everyday and I am working on paying attention to that then mainstream media pushing there agenda on both sides of the fence. As people we need to stand up for each other and theirs to much good in people to be focusing on the bad in people.

I'm going to take a stab at this. Not because I might offer you some insight; obviously your mind is made up. But, just in case someone else reads this and thinks there is value to your diatribe I want to dissuade them.

I have worked from the time I was sixteen. I bet most here have worked most of their lives as well. Few want an unproductive life. It is against human nature. We would die out if this were true. But some, in all societies, from the the time we were upright, just can't fit in. We don't focus on this group, those few, except to maybe make their miserable lives a bit better. Instead, we focus the the vast majority, those productive souls, those potentially productive souls, and those future productive souls that keep it all going. You want to focus on the mythical (from a pervasive sense) welfare queen as though this is the norm rather than the exception, and as though the only place we spend our money. Go to a map. Look for that great big continent called Africa. Go East (to the right) and you will see Saudi Arabia, then Iraq. This is where we have spent, or will spend $2,000,000,000,000 to 3,000,000,000,000.

Entitlement spending has indeed increased. Much of this is SNAP and unemployment insurance, for those, often through no fault of their own, who were devastated and became unemployed due to the Financial Crisis.

Race is a huge part of the Zimmerman case. Now I don't agree with those who think Zimmerman was, consciously at least, acting as a racist. But I live in my nice little, mostly safe neighborhood, with people waving hello to the police as they drive by. So maybe my perspective is not the best. Maybe your's isn't either. But I've heard many who believe that if the roles were reversed, that if Zimmerman (now the victim) was shot, Trayvon would be in cuffs faster than 16 year old with a hooker. I don't know, but there are just too many people who live in this world who feel race is present every day, and there are too many attorney's out there that tell us the system is rigged, and it's all about race and money. Again, I stay out of the courtroom as best I can so I rely on others for this: others with credibility and experience. If race isn't an issue, then all those people marching in the street sure got it wrong.

You say, when we do an illegal act we go to jail. No, some of us do an illegal act and go to jail and some of us don't. As for drugs, the same substance less baking soda (less pure), preferred by whites and is more mainstream (powdered cocaine), the penalty was 5 years for 500 grams prior to Obama signing the Fair Sentencing Act. For crack, prevalent in the inner city, and, as we're told, the drug of preference with blacks, it was 5 years for 5 grams (notice the lack of zeros) The act lessened the discrepancy in punishment, but didn't eliminate it. You're right, if no one used drugs, then no one would go to jail. And if no one murdered, or committed robbery or swindled, no one would go to jail either. But we must live in the real world, and as we do, the punishment must fit the crime.

You say to work hard. Though maybe my knowledge is a bit limited, didn't a gal, with a Master's Degree (now there's some hard work) who had never been arrested, fire a gun in the air, as an act of self protection, and got 20 years. She was black. Working hard isn't always the answer.

I appreciate your feed back. I for one understand that there are multiple stories that people have and misfortunes. But you state it's in human nature that some people didn't fit in. I disagree. Back in the day if you didn't fit and contribute you were dead. You starved, or get killed by the tribe or forced to leave. Your last sentence regarding the lady that shots fired because of self defense got wrongly accused according to you was a hard worker and had her Masters degree did not see a fair result from our court system. I don't know enough about that case so I won't comment, maybe your right and maybe your wrong. With the Zimmerman case Martin was proven to be the one racist and the FBI conducted a investigation and there was no finding of racism from Zimmerman. This case reeks and I think Zimmerman is a piece of crap as well but the right verdict was read. Also at the beginning of the trial Media and people tried to start a race war stating a white man shot and killed a black boy. Actually the TRUTH was a Latino shot a Black boy. It doesn't matter who shot who but to start a race war for their own agenda is dam wrong.

I don't mind helping people but our system is broken and needs to be changed. To go back to the lady that is in prison for sticking up for herself. You state shes a hard worker we really don't know that, there are multiple degrees that are a joke and don't pan out as jobs so to say she a hard worker off that could be very false. In Chicago Black on BLack shooting occurs daily and at an alarming rate. Why isn't that getting attention. It's sad and maybe Obama and the Attorney General can focus on that instead of butting into this Zimmerman case to through off the sent form being center of attention amongst 4 scandals that he and the administration was in.

Yes certain people are discriminated against but that is in every race. I for one appreciate every race and I appreciate learning from different cultures. I for one can focus on the best I can be and not focus on other people. I guess I think differently and feel people use excuses instead of helping themselves and focusing on negativity instead of being positive. I for one enjoy most of your post and you guys in general brighten my day with BREAKING NEWS and Lakers stuff so thank you for that.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
realking24 wrote:

I appreciate your feed back. I for one understand that there are multiple stories that people have and misfortunes. But you state it's in human nature that some people didn't fit in. I disagree. Back in the day if you didn't fit and contribute you were dead. You starved, or get killed by the tribe or forced to leave. Your last sentence regarding the lady that shots fired because of self defense got wrongly accused according to you was a hard worker and had her Masters degree did not see a fair result from our court system. I don't know enough about that case so I won't comment, maybe your right and maybe your wrong. With the Zimmerman case Martin was proven to be the one racist and the FBI conducted a investigation and there was no finding of racism from Zimmerman. This case reeks and I think Zimmerman is a piece of crap as well but the right verdict was read. Also at the beginning of the trial Media and people tried to start a race war stating a white man shot and killed a black boy. Actually the TRUTH was a Latino shot a Black boy. It doesn't matter who shot who but to start a race war for their own agenda is dam wrong.

I don't mind helping people but our system is broken and needs to be changed. To go back to the lady that is in prison for sticking up for herself. You state shes a hard worker we really don't know that, there are multiple degrees that are a joke and don't pan out as jobs so to say she a hard worker off that could be very false. In Chicago Black on BLack shooting occurs daily and at an alarming rate. Why isn't that getting attention. It's sad and maybe Obama and the Attorney General can focus on that instead of butting into this Zimmerman case to through off the sent form being center of attention amongst 4 scandals that he and the administration was in.

Yes certain people are discriminated against but that is in every race. I for one appreciate every race and I appreciate learning from different cultures. I for one can focus on the best I can be and not focus on other people. I guess I think differently and feel people use excuses instead of helping themselves and focusing on negativity instead of being positive. I for one enjoy most of your post and you guys in general brighten my day with <b>BREAKING NEWS</b> and Lakers stuff so thank you for that.

Thank you for illustrating the purpose for this thread. I hope you learn something from it and open your mind sometime before your time on Earth expires.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
realking24 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
realking24 wrote:

Yes certain people are discriminated against but that is in every race. I for one appreciate every race and I appreciate learning from different cultures. I for one can focus on the best I can be and not focus on other people. I guess I think differently and feel people use excuses instead of helping themselves and focusing on negativity instead of being positive. I for one enjoy most of your post and you guys in general brighten my day with <b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b> and Lakers stuff so thank you for that.

Thank you for illustrating the purpose for this thread. I hope you learn something from it and open your mind sometime before your time on Earth expires.

I am OK with myself. Facts are Facts don't like it that's a you problem.
Statcat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Martin was proven to be the one racist and the FBI conducted a investigation and there was no finding of racism from Zimmerman.

realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Statcat wrote:
Quote:
Martin was proven to be the one racist and the FBI conducted a investigation and there was no finding of racism from Zimmerman.

http://educationviews.org/fbi-clears-zimmerman/
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
Statcat wrote:
Quote:

Just in case you missed that one.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/071513-663808-fbi-report-undermines-race-case-against-zimmerman.htm
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
cisternachyli wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
cisternachyli wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
My girlfriend is white and I'm Indian. Indians look at me an think I have abandoned my culture

My wife is black and I am Indian. Other Indians look at me like I've abandoned my culture.

No joke. My wife's side of the family is much more accepting. My parents have met my kids maybe twice. And my oldest is 12 now. Blacks in general are much more accepting of my kids. After I married my wife, Indians were a gigantic letdown to me. They are kind of right about my abandonment though...I abandoned them when I realized how pervasive the racism and xenophobia amongst Indians was.

When I hear white people tell me that "blacks are racist too", I scoff a bit. There's a lot of denial going on in America. Indians are another assimilated "model minority" that have bought into the unspoken racist pact of compliance and subservience they are enlisted into when they come to America.

dude us Indians ourselves, we are some of the most racist people around .I am sorry to say this, but its true...we HATE on our own kind, let alone others . For example, the whole North/South Indian divide. I mean what does it matter, i thought we are all Indians at the end of the day...???Im tired of Indian culture saying what we can and cannot do. I know there are quite a few people from Africa in India, whether on Business or for Schooling. Indian people would litterally run away from them or move to the other side of the street, and it was disgusting.

Indian racism is a sort of weird microcosm of the world's racial totem pole. Because the white colonizers told me them so, blacks are on the bottom. A lot of Indian women are obsessed with fair skin...to an unhealthy point really. It's some sort of social sickness really.

When it comes time for their sons to marry, three things matter.

1. Fairness of skin
2. Size of dowry
3. Level of education (only to make sure she is not an idiot).

I do think things are slowly changing...a lot of the girls born in the 80s and 90s are getting college educated, marrying, but also having careers.

One should be what Caste she/he is. But yeah, i will agree on the other stuff you have said. I just find it ridiculous, being born and brought up in America, how backward India can be...and this is 2013, not the middle ages or whatever.

Indians are also very clickish. They won't even talk to you if you are not on the same level with them either financially or educationally. I guess it's like that with all cultures but Indians are one of the worst at doing that.

Only the douchebag ones are. I've had so many Indian friend's and known several families and even though some of them are filthy rich, they've always been warm hearted and very kind and accepting. I hear what you're saying though, I'm Iranian and I come across plenty of ultra snobby douchebag types, however most are extremely kind hearted and down to earth people.

Yea. That's true. Both of my colleagues are desi and iranian and they are both nice guys. Even though they make a better living than me they always go out of there way to say hello to me and ask me about my family. Good work ethic as well.

I guess there are just some people who are just misinformed they just can't see the whole picture they only focus on one thing and they beat that one thing to death
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
cisternachyli wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
cisternachyli wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
My girlfriend is white and I'm Indian. Indians look at me an think I have abandoned my culture

My wife is black and I am Indian. Other Indians look at me like I've abandoned my culture.

No joke. My wife's side of the family is much more accepting. My parents have met my kids maybe twice. And my oldest is 12 now. Blacks in general are much more accepting of my kids. After I married my wife, Indians were a gigantic letdown to me. They are kind of right about my abandonment though...I abandoned them when I realized how pervasive the racism and xenophobia amongst Indians was.

When I hear white people tell me that "blacks are racist too", I scoff a bit. There's a lot of denial going on in America. Indians are another assimilated "model minority" that have bought into the unspoken racist pact of compliance and subservience they are enlisted into when they come to America.

dude us Indians ourselves, we are some of the most racist people around .I am sorry to say this, but its true...we HATE on our own kind, let alone others . For example, the whole North/South Indian divide. I mean what does it matter, i thought we are all Indians at the end of the day...???Im tired of Indian culture saying what we can and cannot do. I know there are quite a few people from Africa in India, whether on Business or for Schooling. Indian people would litterally run away from them or move to the other side of the street, and it was disgusting.

Indian racism is a sort of weird microcosm of the world's racial totem pole. Because the white colonizers told me them so, blacks are on the bottom. A lot of Indian women are obsessed with fair skin...to an unhealthy point really. It's some sort of social sickness really.

When it comes time for their sons to marry, three things matter.

1. Fairness of skin
2. Size of dowry
3. Level of education (only to make sure she is not an idiot).

I do think things are slowly changing...a lot of the girls born in the 80s and 90s are getting college educated, marrying, but also having careers.

One should be what Caste she/he is. But yeah, i will agree on the other stuff you have said. I just find it ridiculous, being born and brought up in America, how backward India can be...and this is 2013, not the middle ages or whatever.

Indians are also very clickish. They won't even talk to you if you are not on the same level with them either financially or educationally. I guess it's like that with all cultures but Indians are one of the worst at doing that.

Only the douchebag ones are. I've had so many Indian friend's and known several families and even though some of them are filthy rich, they've always been warm hearted and very kind and accepting. I hear what you're saying though, I'm Iranian and I come across plenty of ultra snobby douchebag types, however most are extremely kind hearted and down to earth people.

Yea. That's true. Both of my colleagues are desi and iranian and they are both nice guys. Even though they make a better living than me they always go out of there way to say hello to me and ask me about my family. Good work ethic as well.

I guess there are just some people who are just misinformed they just can't see the whole picture they only focus on one thing and they beat that one thing to death

Ive met many kind hearted people, of all races. No doubt. But unfortunately, being Indian...i know all too well how many Indian people and families can be, as you talked about earlier. You could say the same of any ethnic group that one belongs to. I would love to meet good, down to earth Indians; going to school at UCI for 2 years, i ended up meeting all the bad ones .
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Racism is still rampant and pretending it doesn't exist anymore is just ridiculous. Even if you aren't explicitly racist, you are probably subconsciously (implicitly) racist.

Even though it has become unacceptable to overtly discriminate against African-Americans, pretty much everything in this world is systemically designed to (bleep) them over as much as possible. Take the War on Drugs for example. Smoke a little weed one day? Black? You're going to jail and will be condemned to an endless cycle of poverty and unemployment.

Hell, check out this Richard Cohen column. Some would find this perfectly reasonable despite the fact that it is BLATANTLY racist.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/richard-cohen-racism-vs-reality/2013/07/15/4f419eb6-ed7a-11e2-a1f9-ea873b7e0424_story.html

Also pay attention to politicians' dog whistle words. Food stamps, state's rights, welfare, etc. These are all just synonyms for the N-Word.

As an Asian-American, I can also attest to racism towards us as well, if less harmful in nature. For some reason, society has normalized racist jokes about Asian-Americans without much uproar. We're also the only "race" of people colleges can openly quota and discriminate against. (Pre-affirmative action, we would make up 40% at top colleges but are knocked down to 15-18% for "diversity" reasons.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Corey78 wrote:
If anyone is interested. This case in particular meant alot to me, and I wrote a blog about it. If interested, check it out. Its called America's Man-child: Black kids can't be kids http://tabahnatorsworld.blogspot.com/2013/07/americas-man-child-black-kids-cant-be.html?m=1

I really enjoyed reading your earlier post in this thread and your blog post. Thanks.

Glad you and others enjoyed my posts. Just saying my perspective on things from my vantage point. This is a good thread.
Thisismyusername
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Corey78 wrote:
If anyone is interested. This case in particular meant alot to me, and I wrote a blog about it. If interested, check it out. Its called America's Man-child: Black kids can't be kids http://tabahnatorsworld.blogspot.com/2013/07/americas-man-child-black-kids-cant-be.html?m=1

I really enjoyed reading your earlier post in this thread and your blog post. Thanks.

Glad you and others enjoyed my posts. Just saying my perspective on things from my vantage point. This is a good thread.

Your mom is beautiful.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Anyone watch Big Brother this year? It's practically the theme of the season,

Racism still exists. The key is not make it the be all and end all. You address the racist remark and try to educate the ignorant person. If they don't still realize, you move on, and work on the millions of others. You can't solve racism it will always exist, however you make sure your political laws and all that are free of it.

And to be honest, I think we all have a little racial profiling in us. No matter how much we wouldn't wanna admit it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:

I appreciate your feed back. I for one understand that there are multiple stories that people have and misfortunes. But you state it's in human nature that some people didn't fit in. I disagree. Back in the day if you didn't fit and contribute you were dead. You starved, or get killed by the tribe or forced to leave.

Absolutely wrong, at least since Europeans landed at Plymouth Rock. The US and the colonies prior had poor houses, mostly for women and children, but not entirely, that were paid for from the local communities. Now, if you want to go back to primitive times, as I recall, various tribes had different ways of dealing with those unproductive, including out-casting.

If what you're saying is that we should kill or out-cast the non productive, then civilized is not the world for you.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
NickF wrote:
I myself have been discriminated against as a white european immigrant at work (by non immigrant whites).

That's because we'll take the Chinese and the African Americans, but not the Irish...

Awww prairie $hit. Okay everybody

Lmao. One of my favorite movies

Last edited by 999 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

And to be honest, I think we all have a little racial profiling in us. No matter how much we wouldn't wanna admit it.

I think this is true, but when I do my soul-searching, and try to be honest with myself, I think I tend to profile more by class than color. I will see a white man or a black man in a suit or tie, much the same. I will see someone dressed in a hoodie much the same, though where I see them also factors.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject:

On a side note. I hope I don't derail this thread. I believe there is still more sexism in this country than there is racism
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
realking24 wrote:

I appreciate your feed back. I for one understand that there are multiple stories that people have and misfortunes. But you state it's in human nature that some people didn't fit in. I disagree. Back in the day if you didn't fit and contribute you were dead. You starved, or get killed by the tribe or forced to leave.

Absolutely wrong, at least since Europeans landed at Plymouth Rock. The US and the colonies prior had poor houses, mostly for women and children, but not entirely, that were paid for from the local communities. Now, if you want to go back to primitive times, as I recall, various tribes had different ways of dealing with those unproductive, including out-casting.

If what you're saying is that we should kill or out-cast the non productive, then civilized is not the world for you.

NO I am not stating we should kill or out-cast, I was stating that it was like that in the past. It sad how you handicap people were I feel people can do what ever they want in America with the right mind frame. Yes people are outcast only if they believe they are. You put a lot of power to the so called other people if you let other people influence you that bad I feel bad for people like you or maybe your happy like that.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject:

if by chance you're sitting around still thinking "well, i havent seen any racism. so i dont believe it still exists"

okay fine.

just click on this and lead the video play out from where it starts to the end.

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/7/17/trayvon_martins_unpunished_shooting_death_among

^^^

dont be afraid to watch that video. and learn the FOUL truth about the hatred that still exists in this country for black people. ESPECIALLY black men.

realking24 i need you to watch that video. a do not respond until you have.
Statcat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
On a side note. I hope I don't derail this thread. I believe there is still more sexism in this country than there is racism

Well if LG is any indication I would say you are correct.
Statcat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
Statcat wrote:
Quote:

I actually was responding to "Martin was proven to be the racist one"
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
if by chance you're sitting around still thinking "well, i havent seen any racism. so i dont believe it still exists"

okay fine.

just click on this and lead the video play out from where it starts to the end.

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/7/17/trayvon_martins_unpunished_shooting_death_among

^^^

dont be afraid to watch that video. and learn the FOUL truth about the hatred that still exists in this country for black people. ESPECIALLY black men.

realking24 i need you to watch that video. a do not respond until you have.

Sad and makes me sick. I am not racist and I know hatred exist but usually the hatred is inside that person for there own problems. It happens to all race that's all I am saying. Are you implying it just happens to black people? I feel it happens to everybody.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2010382767_webfourdead29m.html

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/22/us/georgia-baby-killed

The list goes on forever. Not just for black people that is all I am saying. I can't believe I am debating this do you guys really feel black people are the only ones that are being discriminated.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject:

Statcat wrote:
realking24 wrote:
Statcat wrote:
Quote:

I actually was responding to "Martin was proven to be the racist one"

Gotccha, Martin was calling Zimmerman a creepy ass Cracker. It kind of has a racial slur IMO.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Racism is still rampant and pretending it doesn't exist anymore is just ridiculous. Even if you aren't explicitly racist, you are probably subconsciously (implicitly) racist.

Even though it has become unacceptable to overtly discriminate against African-Americans, pretty much everything in this world is systemically designed to (bleep) them over as much as possible. Take the War on Drugs for example. Smoke a little weed one day? Black? You're going to jail and will be condemned to an endless cycle of poverty and unemployment.

Hell, check out this Richard Cohen column. Some would find this perfectly reasonable despite the fact that it is BLATANTLY racist.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/richard-cohen-racism-vs-reality/2013/07/15/4f419eb6-ed7a-11e2-a1f9-ea873b7e0424_story.html

Also pay attention to politicians' dog whistle words. Food stamps, state's rights, welfare, etc. These are all just synonyms for the N-Word.

As an Asian-American, I can also attest to racism towards us as well, if less harmful in nature. For some reason, society has normalized racist jokes about Asian-Americans without much uproar. We're also the only "race" of people colleges can openly quota and discriminate against. (Pre-affirmative action, we would make up 40% at top colleges but are knocked down to 15-18% for "diversity" reasons.)

That article by Cohen is positively vomit inducing. It isn't the first time either. The man is the biggest douchebag on the Washington Post.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: