What are your thoughts on racism (against any "race") in the United States? Does it exist? How bad is it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Haven't read the thread and don't claim to be an expert about race relations in any areas except for the black/white thing.

800 lb Gurilla in the room, and what has to be acknowledged by all sides in order for us to move forward is really quite simple and utterly taboo to speak of.

By and large, white Americans believe black Americans to be less American than they are and thus less deserving of the rights and benefits that come with white skin. And by and large, black people know this and harbor a certain hatred against whites because of this.

I don't think this is true among educated, more affluent Americans, white or black. I grew up middle class to upper-middle class, as did the black, asian and latino kids around me. Nobody thought they were less American and really all the stereotypes of our racial differences were something we always joked about.

If anything, I think it's probably Asian Americans that are thought of as the least "American". Outside of high population areas, they're still seen as largely foreign.

That's true. No one ever really asks a black person "no seriously, where are you REALLY from" expecting an answer like "Congo" or something.

But with asians, people will just keep asking until you say some country they are happy with.

"Where you from?" - "Irvine"
"No, but where?" - "Oh. Orange County?"
"No, where?" - "Umm. California?"
"No, but like where are you from?" - "Oh, the U.S.?"
"No, where are you REALLY actually from?" - "Japan?"

"Ohh, you're Japanese!"

*sigh*

But this is what I would call ignorance, not racism. The word "racism" gets thrown around WAAAAY too much.

Relevant video:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Haven't read the thread and don't claim to be an expert about race relations in any areas except for the black/white thing.

800 lb Gurilla in the room, and what has to be acknowledged by all sides in order for us to move forward is really quite simple and utterly taboo to speak of.

By and large, white Americans believe black Americans to be less American than they are and thus less deserving of the rights and benefits that come with white skin. And by and large, black people know this and harbor a certain hatred against whites because of this.

I don't think this is true among educated, more affluent Americans, white or black. I grew up middle class to upper-middle class, as did the black, asian and latino kids around me. Nobody thought they were less American and really all the stereotypes of our racial differences were something we always joked about.

Donald Sterling, as well as a long list of members of whites only golf and private clubs say "Hi."
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

If anything, I think it's probably Asian Americans that are thought of as the least "American". Outside of high population areas, they're still seen as largely foreign.

I disagree. White Folks don't hold a grudge because of a war lost 150 years ago, nor do they hold as a central part of their culture that no matter what, they are at least as better than the best (bleep). Further, Asians are much more wiling to assimilate. That plays a huge role in how things are viewed.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject:

EddieJonesss wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

That's true. No one ever really asks a black person "no seriously, where are you REALLY from" expecting an answer like "Congo" or something.

But with asians, people will just keep asking until you say some country they are happy with.

"Where you from?" - "Irvine"
"No, but where?" - "Oh. Orange County?"
"No, where?" - "Umm. California?"
"No, but like where are you from?" - "Oh, the U.S.?"
"No, where are you REALLY actually from?" - "Japan?"

"Ohh, you're Japanese!"

*sigh*

But this is what I would call ignorance, not racism. The word "racism" gets thrown around WAAAAY too much.

Relevant video:

at that video.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
Yes, it still exists. As a black man, I can't say I know what it means or how it feels to be "white" or "asian" or "hispanic" or some other race. Nevertheless, I do know what it means and how it feels to be black, and I just don't think alot of people have to go through what I do.

I remember the day I passed the California bar exam. I was so happy, and I felt so accomplished. I had ascended to the realms of education and (aside from a little swear in ceremony) was an attorney. I celebrated with my family at home, and then drove by myself to Denny's to get some food. On the way back, I was stopped by a cop. The first thing he told me was, "What are you doing here?" and he said it in such a way like I didn't belong. It made me realize that no matter how much I try to better myself in the eyes of certain people I will always only be a six letter word. Malcolm-X said it best, "What does a white man call a black man with a phd? A n-word with a phd."

I remember in college when I got pulled over in Riverside, and I was just driving with my friend after a long day (I admit I had my durag on, but why should that matter). The cop pulled me over, and I swear, he asked me if I stole my own car. I just don't see that kind of stuff happening to other people.

I remember one time I was driving with a friend, and I told him, "Damn, this cop is about to pull me over." I just knew he was. I didn't do anything wrong, but be a black man driving through Santa Monica. And, of course I got pulled over. It's to the point now that I have to flinch when I see a cop car because I just expect them to want to pull me over. And its not cause I'm speeding, its not cause I ran a red light, its not cause my tailights are busted, and its not cause I've done anything wrong, its simply cause I'm black (dark black at that.)

I remember in high school I was walking through hollywood with 6 of my buds, we all happened to be black. The cops stopped us, and searched us. They stopped us and searched us in the middle of hollywood for all to see. We were good kids to; we didn't do and hadn't done anything wrong. Yet, we have our hands against the wall like criminals for all to see.

The week after Obama got elected, and everyone was preaching that "racism is over stuff" I got pulled over on a pretext. Not a damn thing changed. The only difference was once people such as blacks said there was racism, others such as non-blacks said, "No there isn't because Obama is in office." In that sense, to me, Obama is the best and worst thing to happen to black America. It's great having someone like me in office, but then people act like that means ignorance and race relations are now fine...and they aren't.

Then there's other stuff. Like I'll be walking down the street, and I notice people cross the other way cause they're afraid of me. People would jay walk away from me cause they were afraid of me, especially women. And here I am a a good student in high school, an academic all-american in college, a law student at a good law school, and now an attorney....and, at the end of the day, people are still afraid of me. I've never hurt anyone in my life and have no record whatsoever, but because of my skin and my strong black features, people are afraid...and there's nothing I can do about it.

So, when you ask if racism still exists, I don't have much of a response. All I have is my life story (which I have only given you a snippet of) I didn't tell you bout the people who thought I could jump high (I was a track and field high jumper in high school and college) cause I "jumped fences." So, you decide whether it still exists or not...I already know the answer.

By the age of 5, I was afraid of LAPD. Chief Parker recruited Good Ole boys from the south with a promise that they could bust black heads. We knew never to talk back to them.

Age 16, stopped while riding my bicycle home from work at Carl's Jr. In full uniform. Stopped and questioned because someone much taller and darker than me had supposedly been purse snatching in the white neighborhood I had to ride through. Same age, stopped in Hollywood. When I told the police officer that I lived in Inglewood, he laughed at his redneck partner and said "IngleWatts huh?

Stopped by Drug agent in LAX when I was on my way to Johns Hopkins to see if I wanted to go there for medical school after I had been accepted. Dude was a pissant nobody who looked at me like I was a fool when I told him that I had my Chemistry books in my bag. UCLA waitlisted me because I didn't want to ghettoized to Drew Medical School program. Only considered Hopkins and Stanford for Medical school because they were the only ones who acted as if I were there to compete for top ranking in my class. Finished in top 10. One day in college, a chemistry professor asked me why blacks don't play chess well. Wish now that I knew about Paul Morphy, or Jazz since dude was a big time classical music fan. Would have asked him why is it that the black beboppers of the 40's through 60's were the greatest musicians to have ever walked the earth. Another time racist cartoon was posted for a week in the chemistry department, where I spent the majority of my time while in college. I hadn't seen it and when I did, no one would fess up. I went classroom to classroom, disrupting class, wanting to know who had posted it. Good thing nobody admitted it, I would have been a buster at that point.

Living in DC, working in Bethesda, new Mercedes convertible. Stopped 5 times in the first month without probable cause, after the fifth time, went directly to the police station and told the captain that if I was stopped again, I'd bust their asses in court. There are about 2 million black lawyers in DC. Never stopped again. About once a week in DC, a patient or their family would ask where I went to medical school. All shocked to hear Stanford. None of my other, white colleagues, were ever asked the question.

Spring night, top down, 'Pac in the player, driving near Howard U. 5-0 pulled up next to me. Black officer said to his partner, loud enough to hear, "Maybe I should change my line of work so that I can afford a Mercedes Convertible. Implying that I was servin' fiends.

I said that maybe he should go back to school, work 20 hours a week while never earning less than an A-, graduate in the top 10 at a medical school like Stanford and then work 100 hours a week learning how to save lives as an emergency physician and then buy a ride like this. "Sorry Doc." "Ain't no thang."

That's about 1/10 of 1% of the (bleep).

But like Chuck D. I roll with the punches. Best Dr. in the department, Division chief, Best teacher, best at critical care and most importantly, best father in the whole damn World according to my 5 y.o twin girls.

Just me against the World.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

There certainly is a lot of unintentional ignorance around no matter the locale. Anyone remember that thread about the controversy around Pau Gasol back in the Olympics in China? Boy did that deteriorate in a hurry. Not to mention that for years on this site there's a user with a derogatory term in his username.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

of course racism exists. even the more progressive open minded folks all have some inner fear toward certain people deep down, they just not saying it all the time, but that doesn't mean the fear or hatred don't exist.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
Yes, it still exists. As a black man, I can't say I know what it means or how it feels to be "white" or "asian" or "hispanic" or some other race. Nevertheless, I do know what it means and how it feels to be black, and I just don't think alot of people have to go through what I do.

I remember the day I passed the California bar exam. I was so happy, and I felt so accomplished. I had ascended to the realms of education and (aside from a little swear in ceremony) was an attorney. I celebrated with my family at home, and then drove by myself to Denny's to get some food. On the way back, I was stopped by a cop. The first thing he told me was, "What are you doing here?" and he said it in such a way like I didn't belong. It made me realize that no matter how much I try to better myself in the eyes of certain people I will always only be a six letter word. Malcolm-X said it best, "What does a white man call a black man with a phd? A n-word with a phd."

I remember in college when I got pulled over in Riverside, and I was just driving with my friend after a long day (I admit I had my durag on, but why should that matter). The cop pulled me over, and I swear, he asked me if I stole my own car. I just don't see that kind of stuff happening to other people.

I remember one time I was driving with a friend, and I told him, "Damn, this cop is about to pull me over." I just knew he was. I didn't do anything wrong, but be a black man driving through Santa Monica. And, of course I got pulled over. It's to the point now that I have to flinch when I see a cop car because I just expect them to want to pull me over. And its not cause I'm speeding, its not cause I ran a red light, its not cause my tailights are busted, and its not cause I've done anything wrong, its simply cause I'm black (dark black at that.)

I remember in high school I was walking through hollywood with 6 of my buds, we all happened to be black. The cops stopped us, and searched us. They stopped us and searched us in the middle of hollywood for all to see. We were good kids to; we didn't do and hadn't done anything wrong. Yet, we have our hands against the wall like criminals for all to see.

The week after Obama got elected, and everyone was preaching that "racism is over stuff" I got pulled over on a pretext. Not a damn thing changed. The only difference was once people such as blacks said there was racism, others such as non-blacks said, "No there isn't because Obama is in office." In that sense, to me, Obama is the best and worst thing to happen to black America. It's great having someone like me in office, but then people act like that means ignorance and race relations are now fine...and they aren't.

Then there's other stuff. Like I'll be walking down the street, and I notice people cross the other way cause they're afraid of me. People would jay walk away from me cause they were afraid of me, especially women. And here I am a a good student in high school, an academic all-american in college, a law student at a good law school, and now an attorney....and, at the end of the day, people are still afraid of me. I've never hurt anyone in my life and have no record whatsoever, but because of my skin and my strong black features, people are afraid...and there's nothing I can do about it.

So, when you ask if racism still exists, I don't have much of a response. All I have is my life story (which I have only given you a snippet of) I didn't tell you bout the people who thought I could jump high (I was a track and field high jumper in high school and college) cause I "jumped fences." So, you decide whether it still exists or not...I already know the answer.

By the age of 5, I was afraid of LAPD. Chief Parker recruited Good Ole boys from the south with a promise that they could bust black heads. We knew never to talk back to them.

Age 16, stopped while riding my bicycle home from work at Carl's Jr. In full uniform. Stopped and questioned because someone much taller and darker than me had supposedly been purse snatching in the white neighborhood I had to ride through. Same age, stopped in Hollywood. When I told the police officer that I lived in Inglewood, he laughed at his redneck partner and said "IngleWatts huh?

Stopped by Drug agent in LAX when I was on my way to Johns Hopkins to see if I wanted to go there for medical school after I had been accepted. Dude was a pissant nobody who looked at me like I was a fool when I told him that I had my Chemistry books in my bag. UCLA waitlisted me because I didn't want to ghettoized to Drew Medical School program. Only considered Hopkins and Stanford for Medical school because they were the only ones who acted as if I were there to compete for top ranking in my class. Finished in top 10. One day in college, a chemistry professor asked me why blacks don't play chess well. Wish now that I knew about Paul Morphy, or Jazz since dude was a big time classical music fan. Would have asked him why is it that the black beboppers of the 40's through 60's were the greatest musicians to have ever walked the earth. Another time racist cartoon was posted for a week in the chemistry department, where I spent the majority of my time while in college. I hadn't seen it and when I did, no one would fess up. I went classroom to classroom, disrupting class, wanting to know who had posted it. Good thing nobody admitted it, I would have been a buster at that point.

Living in DC, working in Bethesda, new Mercedes convertible. Stopped 5 times in the first month without probable cause, after the fifth time, went directly to the police station and told the captain that if I was stopped again, I'd bust their asses in court. There are about 2 million black lawyers in DC. Never stopped again. About once a week in DC, a patient or their family would ask where I went to medical school. All shocked to hear Stanford. None of my other, white colleagues, were ever asked the question.

Spring night, top down, 'Pac in the player, driving near Howard U. 5-0 pulled up next to me. Black officer said to his partner, loud enough to hear, "Maybe I should change my line of work so that I can afford a Mercedes Convertible. Implying that I was servin' fiends.

I said that maybe he should go back to school, work 20 hours a week while never earning less than an A-, graduate in the top 10 at a medical school like Stanford and then work 100 hours a week learning how to save lives as an emergency physician and then buy a ride like this. "Sorry Doc." "Ain't no thang."

That's about 1/10 of 1% of the (bleep).

But like Chuck D. I roll with the punches. Best Dr. in the department, Division chief, Best teacher, best at critical care and most importantly, best father in the whole damn World according to my 5 y.o twin girls.

Just me against the World.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Stopped by Drug agent in LAX when I was on my way to Johns Hopkins to see if I wanted to go there for medical school after I had been accepted.

I believe that's a shared experience between races seeing as it happened on to me on my 2nd look trip to JH.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

Stopped by Drug agent in LAX when I was on my way to Johns Hopkins to see if I wanted to go there for medical school after I had been accepted.

I believe that's a shared experience between races seeing as it happened on to me on my 2nd look trip to JH.

Mah (bleep)!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

Mah (bleep)!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

my thoughts is, say whatever you want, act however you want as long as your not physically hurting someone. Someone could call me wetback, or go back to where you came from! That would Be Los Angeles as my Grandmothers parents have been from there. lol Grandpa on my dad's side from Arizona/New Mexico. My mom is from the Motherland though! lol

I dont let people words that i dont know affect me in anyway. I always joke about race though, i make fun of every face, mine included. I do tend to stereotype people as well. Its called a Stereotype for a reason. lol

In the end i love everyone.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm still waiting for the huge race war that Manson promised us.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Don't get me started. I'll just leave it at it's alive and well. Maybe more hidden than it once was. But I still get stopped because of DWB.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: