Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/sports/after-16-year-absence-olbermann-is-said-to-be-returning-to-espn-to-host-show.html?smid=tw-nytmedia&seid=auto&_r=1&

Quote:
Olbermann Will Return To ESPN

ESPN is expected to announce on Wednesday that the former network mainstay Keith Olbermann, who contentiously departed in 1997, will return to host a one-hour, nightly show for ESPN2 later this year, according to three executives with knowledge of the deal but not authorized to speak about it publicly.

Olbermann, 54, became renowned for co-anchoring ESPN’s “SportsCenter” with Dan Patrick — arguably the most auspicious pairing in the history of the show or the network. He left the show briefly to help launch ESPN2 in October 1993.

The move to bring Olbermann back after a 16-year absence was the result of 14 months of intense discussion within ESPN and its parent, the Walt Disney Company.

Within ESPN, there was concern about asking Olbermann back because he left the network under emotionally charged circumstances and because it was feared by some that Olbermann had become too politicized as the host of his interim MSNBC program “Countdown,” which aired from 2003 through January 2011.

On his new show, Olbermann will be free to discuss matters other than sports, including pop culture and current events, but not politics, the two-year pact specifies.

While some ESPN insiders reportedly voiced the opinion that Olbermann was part of the network’s past, not its future, his star quality is almost unmatched in the sports television arena; he seems to draw a crowd. Rumors had been bubbling for weeks that ESPN would put aside the difficulties of the past and invite Olbermann back.

Some of Olbermann’s years since leaving ESPN have been professionally stormy, but controversy has always been part of his public persona. While some of his other network tenures had rocky periods, and some ended badly, his sports knowledge and on-air charisma have never been questioned.

ESPN executives said Olbermann will help it face the challenge presented by the launch of Fox Sports 1, a rival all-sports network that just announced plans for a potentially similar series to star Regis Philbin, 82.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I always liked olberman when we was with msnbc. Lets just hope he doesn't burn this bridge with espn again
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Why was he booted from espn many years ago?
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Thought he did a fine job at KTLA as the sports guy next to the late Hal Fishman and late Larry McCormick back in the day.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject:

(bleep). I LOVE Olbermann and will be meeting him personally and organizing a speaking event later this year. The guy pretty much founded MSNBC. Look at how many people are affiliated with him.

Rachel Maddow-- Protege of Olbermann and guest host of Countdown

Lawrence O'Donnell-- Main guest host; Olbermann got him his show

Chris Hayes-- Frequent guest

Alex Wagner-- Frequent guest

Not to mention that guys like Bashir imitated his style. Olbermann was THE guy at MSNBC and I rarely missed an episode of Countdown. Sucks that he's going to sports.

MSNBC needed to get over itself and give him the 8 P.M. slot back. Chris Hayes is having absolutely terrible ratings and it's having a domino effect on Maddow and O'Donnell. If they weren't going to bring back Olbermann or a big name "free agent" to replace Ed Schultz, then they should have promoted someone else like Al Sharpton (yes, I know, but he can draw ratings) or Martin Bashir. Hell, even Alex Wagner or Krystal Ball would get better ratings than Hayes.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Some fun insider information: Last year, there was a (private, not many people know this) attempt to organize an Olbermann vs Ann Coulter debate over here. Both parties agreed, but Olbermann had the stipulation that Coulter wasn't allowed to mention that his degree was from Cornell's Agricultural school. (Coulter is from Arts and Sciences.) If she mentioned it, then Olbermann would have the right to walk off stage immediately.

This was arranged for, but in the end he wound up backing out anyway. By all accounts, he was a headache to deal with and came across as a complete prick.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ElliotTheFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

IIRC, the brass at ESPN was getting tired of Olberman and Dan Patrick's 'Big Show' and at some point amidst pressuring them to follow the script more Olberman went off, bashed the city of Bristol, etc etc. At least that's what I kinda think happened...
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

Fair or not, and I really don't know one way or the other other than what's been reported over the years, but he's purportedly a high maintenance bridge burning prick.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject:

I really dislike Olberman.

Though I'd love to see a show where both Olberman and Limbaugh were the hosts and they were not allowed to discuss politics. LoL
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I really dislike Olberman.

Though I'd love to see a show where both Olberman and Limbaugh were the hosts and they were not allowed to discuss politics. LoL

That would be interesting . . .

Boy that black man sure can run, but that black quarterback, if he was white, would be nothing . . .

So say you, you big fat, drug addled simpleton slob who lives in a home Liberace would love . . .
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
(bleep). I LOVE Olbermann and will be meeting him personally and organizing a speaking event later this year. The guy pretty much founded MSNBC. Look at how many people are affiliated with him.

Rachel Maddow-- Protege of Olbermann and guest host of Countdown

Lawrence O'Donnell-- Main guest host; Olbermann got him his show

Chris Hayes-- Frequent guest

Alex Wagner-- Frequent guest

Not to mention that guys like Bashir imitated his style. Olbermann was THE guy at MSNBC and I rarely missed an episode of Countdown. Sucks that he's going to sports.

MSNBC needed to get over itself and give him the 8 P.M. slot back. Chris Hayes is having absolutely terrible ratings and it's having a domino effect on Maddow and O'Donnell. If they weren't going to bring back Olbermann or a big name "free agent" to replace Ed Schultz, then they should have promoted someone else like Al Sharpton (yes, I know, but he can draw ratings) or Martin Bashir. Hell, even Alex Wagner or Krystal Ball would get better ratings than Hayes.

I admire Maddow for her absolute love and devotion to political science. If ever there was a political nerd, it is she--and I say this affectionately.

I actually really like Chris Hayes' show, as he goes deeper into issues, but he is too much like Rachel in that it is academic, interesting and informative (which is mostly what I want), but with limited entertainment value. As such, two straight hours can be monotonous. Thank goodness for remotes. Keith was more entertaining and passionate which made Keith and Rachel a good one/two. I couldn't watch Schultz for any extended period of time. Once being a conservative, I don't think he totally grew out of his skin, as his style is too similar to the bombastic style of many conservatives. Though I like Rev Al as a guest, a whole show is too much.

I really liked Eliot Spitzer when he was on CNN. He is more in the Olbermann style, polished, and the guy knows his stuff. But I guess NY gets him.

O'Reilly is entertaining but he is too often a bully and is wrong on his facts far too often to take him seriously.

My .02
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Thought he did a fine job at KTLA as the sports guy next to the late Hal Fishman and late Larry McCormick back in the day.

Heh, Hal Fishman...there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject:

^^
Maddow is technically Dr. Rachel Maddow, actually. She has a P.h.D from Oxford. Her show is definitely MSNBC's flagship, though I disagree with you that her show is political-sciencey in nature. On the contrary, I sometimes feel that she focuses too much on making the show entertaining as opposed to educational in nature. Just look at her introductions to the topics.

I personally like The Last Word slightly more. Lawrence is straight to the point and I like how he has multiple guests on at the same time. He also comes across as more passionate about the issues.

Chris Hayes was better on Up. There's no way someone as pedantic as him should hold the best timeslot on the show. He's been absolutely horrendous ratings wise-- Matthews, Sharpton, O'Donnell and Rachel are all beating him by far.

I generally agreed with Ed Schultz but wasn't a fan because I considered him a blowhard and a demagogue. The labor movement, and those who are a part of it, can do no wrong in his eyes. I just hated how he glorified pretty much every single blue-collar worker or teacher in the entire country.

Also, he has a tendency to blurt things out without thinking them through and just generally yells way too much. He's almost like the left's version of Limbaugh, though not as bad.

Spitzer is an absolute creep. I can tolerate him as a guest but the guy gives me the chills as an anchor. He replaced Keith on Current but left when Al-Jazeera bought the network.

O'Reilly is an idiot. Plain and simple. I'm not sure he even believes some of the stuff he says.

I really like Alex Wagner, Krystal Ball, and Martin Bashir in the afternoons.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject:

You know you are old when you remember Olbermann for being the sports guy on KTLA/ESPN or his ill fated show on FOX Sports Net....and Bill O'Reilly as the host of Inside Edition...
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes,

We exemplify liberals/progressives. We have a general agreement on the macro, but when you get down to the micro, less so. And that's OK. They say that organizing liberals/progressives is like herding cats, and I can't agree more..

When I talk about Rachel and her poly-sci focus, I think, not only was it her major and is her life, but how she reacts during elections. She gets nearly . . well, excited . . when she covers an election. She enjoys this like you or I would like sitting next to Jack at a Lakers game. I so admire that enthusiasm. I listened to her from nearly day one on Air America, with Liz and Chuck D (there every once in a while) until my station thought that gay gal was too much and we had a local substitute

I couldn't get into Current with either Keith or Spitzer--too hokey--and I know Keith's blackout was to this very point. You're not the first that I've heard that calls Spitzer creep. Oh well. But to me he is so very informed, quick and eloquent, and I a sucker for all.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Not only was Spitzer banging a prostitute half his age, his lack of hair and creepy smile also make me feel uncomfortable.

But you're right that the guy is a genius. Few people, save maybe Elizabeth Warren, are more knowledgable about banking regulations.

Statcat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
^^
Maddow is technically Dr. Rachel Maddow, actually. She has a P.h.D from Oxford. Her show is definitely MSNBC's flagship, though I disagree with you that her show is political-sciencey in nature. On the contrary, I sometimes feel that she focuses too much on making the show entertaining as opposed to educational in nature. Just look at her introductions to the topics.

I personally like The Last Word slightly more. Lawrence is straight to the point and I like how he has multiple guests on at the same time. He also comes across as more passionate about the issues.

Chris Hayes was better on Up. There's no way someone as pedantic as him should hold the best timeslot on the show. He's been absolutely horrendous ratings wise-- Matthews, Sharpton, O'Donnell and Rachel are all beating him by far.

I generally agreed with Ed Schultz but wasn't a fan because I considered him a blowhard and a demagogue. The labor movement, and those who are a part of it, can do no wrong in his eyes. I just hated how he glorified pretty much every single blue-collar worker or teacher in the entire country.

Also, he has a tendency to blurt things out without thinking them through and just generally yells way too much. He's almost like the left's version of Limbaugh, though not as bad.

Spitzer is an absolute creep. I can tolerate him as a guest but the guy gives me the chills as an anchor. He replaced Keith on Current but left when Al-Jazeera bought the network.

O'Reilly is an idiot. Plain and simple. I'm not sure he even believes some of the stuff he says.

I really like Alex Wagner, Krystal Ball, and Martin Bashir in the afternoons.

I like Spitzer. I find his commentary inciteful and relevant. Not much of a Bashir fan.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Not only was Spitzer banging a prostitute half his age, his lack of hair and creepy smile also make me feel uncomfortable.

But you're right that the guy is a genius. Few people, save maybe Elizabeth Warren, are more knowledgable about banking regulations.

Elizabeth Warren for president! (like that will ever happen)
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Elizabeth Warren for president! (like that will ever happen)

Maybe Hillary/Warren, though.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I like Warren more, but Hillary is way more electable. If Warren were to run on either the front or the back of the ticket, there would be so many billons thrown against her.
Statcat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I like Warren more, but Hillary is way more electable. If Warren were to run on either the front or the back of the ticket, there would be so many billons thrown against her.

Elizabeth Warren is a national treasure.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
K2 wrote:

Heh, Hal Fishman...there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Ha, it's been a while for me as well. Truly a legend in the LA news business, even Keith had good things to say about him when he left for ESPN 20 years back:

LA Times wrote:
But KTLA, he said, "was a lot more fun." KTLA anchor Hal Fishman "is deeply concerned about that newscast," said Olbermann. "Every moment that it's on the air, he wants it to be good. He wants to put out an environment that, 'This is what we want and I'm encouraging you, and you did a great job.' "
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
You know you are old when you remember Olbermann for being the sports guy on KTLA/ESPN or his ill fated show on FOX Sports Net....and Bill O'Reilly as the host of Inside Edition...

Yeah, seems like a walk through memory lane here. Inside Edition (even after Norville took over) was always the program that I flipped through to get to a channel I preferred watching. Never been a fan of Bill O'Reilly, might even go with Maury if I had to choose between those type of shows in the genre.

I haven't bothered to watch Keith outside of sports, still always see him as a witty sports guy playing with toy boats to simulate the America's Cup challenge.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Statcat wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Elizabeth Warren is a national treasure.

Our gal in action: F'ing B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/elizabeth-warren-cnbc-anchors_n_3610893.html?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=Politics
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject:

How this guy keeps getting work is stupefying.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: