Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
I always liked olberman when we was with msnbc. Lets just hope he doesn't burn this bridge with espn again

don't understand why they would get rid of him, they shot themselves in the foot
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Olberman used to be a really charismatic and interesting person to watch - and I mean way back when he was a local guy. And then he went national and his career grew and it went to his head. He became no where near as interesting as he smugly believed himself to be. Which is a shame, because I think he can be a sharp and witty guy with something worthwhile to say if he wasn't carrying the big old chip of condescension on his shoulder.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject:

NickF wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
I always liked olberman when we was with msnbc. Lets just hope he doesn't burn this bridge with espn again

don't understand why they would get rid of him, they shot themselves in the foot

So they could wind up filling the 8 P.M. timeslot with freaking Chris Hayes and get 40% of their old audience, duh.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject:

For the Nate Silver fans:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/21/1225508/-Nate-Silver-s-The-Signal-and-the-Noise-a-review

Also, there is a link to understanding the difference in frequentist and Bayesian statistics used in RAPM and ASPM basketball (among others) stats.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject:

The guy is a major douche, not looking forward to saying that idiot on the airwaves.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject:

Here's the press release on Silver joining ESPN.

Quote:
Nate Silver – Renowned Statistician, Author and Founder of FiveThirtyEight – Joins ESPN in Multi-Faceted Role
Will Also Contribute Regularly to ABC News Platforms

Leading statistician and best-selling author Nate Silver will join ESPN later this year, bringing his unique brand of creativity, journalism and statistical analysis through his award winning website, FiveThirtyEight.com. The site’s new incarnation will allow Silver to return to his sports roots while expanding his approach to numerous disciplines, including economics, culture, science and technology, and other topics. FiveThirtyEight will also continue to provide data-driven coverage of politics, including forecasts of the 2014 and 2016 elections. The site will extend ESPN’s leadership in using data and analytics in its cross-platform storytelling.

Silver will serve as the editor-in-chief of the site and will build a team of journalists, editors, analysts and contributors in the coming months. Much like Grantland, which ESPN launched in 2011, the site will retain an independent brand sensibility and editorial point-of-view, while interfacing with other websites in the ESPN and Disney families. The site will return to its original URL, www.FiveThirtyEight.com.

Silver’s reach will also extend to television and other ESPN platforms, where he will contribute to a wide variety of programs. He will showcase his work regularly on ABC News outlets as well, and during election years and key political events, Silver will provide political insights and analysis to ABC News.

Since 2010, FiveThirtyEight has been hosted on The New York Times website. Silver and other members of the FiveThirtyEight leadership team will be based in New York City.

Said ESPN President John Skipper, “Nate is one of the country’s brightest talents and his insight, journalistic integrity and creativity — all traits essential for creating compelling, quality content — have awed and entertained diverse audiences. Nate brings a unique fan base to ESPN, where he will curate a cross-platform, cross-discipline experience with a fresh take on the intersection of sports, culture, technology, economics and politics that will be provocative and completely different than anything else in the marketplace today.”

Silver added, “This is a dream job for me. I’m excited to expand FiveThirtyEight’s data-driven approach into new areas, while also reuniting with my love of sports. I’m thrilled that we’re going to be able to create jobs for a great team of journalists, writers and analysts. And I think that I’ve found the perfect place to do it. The variety and quality of the assets ESPN and ABC News presented to me was compelling and unparalleled. I can’t wait to get started.”

Ben Sherwood, President of ABC News, said, “With great enthusiasm, we welcome Nate Silver and we predict with 100 percent confidence that his unique voice and penetrating insights will contribute mightily to ABC News coverage of politics and many topics.”

Silver has established himself as today’s leading statistician through his innovative analyses of political polling. He first gained national attention during the 2008 presidential election, when he correctly predicted the results of the presidential election in 49 of 50 states, along with all 35 U.S. Senate races. In 2012, FiveThirtyEight predicted the election outcome in all 50 states. FiveThirtyEight has made Nate the public face of statistical analysis and political forecasting.

His most recent book, The Signal and The Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail – But Some Don’t, is a New York Times bestseller. Before he came to politics, Nate established his credentials as an analyst of baseball statistics. He developed a widely acclaimed system called PECOTA (Player Empirical Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm), which predicts player performance, career development, and seasonal winners and losers. He is a co-author of a series of books on baseball statistics, which include Mind Game, Baseball Between the Numbers, and It Ain’t Over ’til It’s Over. Nate has written for ESPN.com, Sports Illustrated, Slate, Baseball Prospectus, Newsweek, The New York Post, and The Los Angeles Times.

Silver has earned a series of accolades. Most recently, Fast Company chose Nate as No. 1 on their list of the 100 Most Creative People in Business 2013. He was among TIME’s 100 Most Influential People of 2009 and Rolling Stone’s 100 Agents of Change. In 2012 and 2013, FiveThirtyEight won Webby Awards as the “Best Political Blog.”

http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2013/07/nate-silver-renowned-statistician-author-and-founder-of-fivethirtyeight-joins-espn-in-multi-faceted-role/
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Nice having Keith back. He brought his MSNBC style to his new digs, but now rants about sports. He still has the same voice inflection, expressions, passion and of course, the pause and theatrical turn to camera 2.

I hope he doesn't piss off his new management. His legendary recaps of games are back, and still are among the best ever for ESPN alumni.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject:

Liked Olberman much more in an ESPN setting than MSNBC, though I have to admit the guy's a genius.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/08/espn-shifts-olbermann-to-permanent-afternoon-slot-in-september-2/

Quote:
ESPN Shifts Olbermann to Permanent Afternoon Slot in September

JUST ANNOUNCED ON OLBERMANN –In a move designed to enhance the current ratings growth of the personality-focused ESPN2 lineup, Keith Olbermann’s Emmy-nominated program Olbermann will be shifting to an afternoon time slot on the network on Monday, Sept. 8. The show will continue to be produced live from ABC’s Times Square studios in New York City and will air daily at 5 p.m. ET followed by Outside the Lines, hosted by Bob Ley.
“Keith has had a fantastic return to ESPN and we’re proud of the quality content featured in the first year of Olbermann, immediately garnering the program its first Emmy nomination,” said Norby Williamson, executive vice president of program scheduling & development. “We feel that strategically shifting the time of this show will not only provide access to a broader audience, but gives us greater flexibility for Keith to do cross-platform opportunities, including hosting key editions of SportsCenter surrounding major news or events throughout the year, while enabling us to secure a more consistent time slot to showcase his distinctive voice.”
The program will continue to feature Olbermann’s signature opening monologues that tackle the day’s most relevant sports topics, along with the popular “World’s Worst” segment. Since highlights are a fan-favorite of Olbermann, Keith will continue with packages driven by his sports knowledge, passion for the games and awareness of pop culture touch points. The revised show format will feature a bevy of new analytical, entertaining and occasionally offbeat highlight treatments. Interviews and contributors will remain part of the content mix of Olbermann.
“Keith delivers a unique mix of humor, intelligence and gravitas while tackling complex topics such as the Washington NFL team name controversy and athlete concussions,” Williamson continued. “The back to back positioning of two powerhouse journalistic voices such as Keith and Bob within our ESPN2 programming is perfect for a network that is enjoying strong ratings growth this year.”
“As I like to say on the air, I’ve done all the damage I can do here in late night,” said Keith Olbermann. “I’m very proud that we’ve accomplished what John Skipper asked me to do more than a year ago: We’ve established a franchise, thwarted what we thought might have developed into an external challenge, and made the world safe for even more and even newer dumb catchphrases. Onwards and upwards to 5:00 PM. Excelsior!”
Olbermann and Outside the Lines complete an ESPN2 lineup that includes diverse and unique voices such as: Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless and Cari Champion on First Take; Michael Smith and Jemele Hill on Numbers Never Lie; Colin Cowherd on You Herd Me; Dan LeBatard, Bomani Jones and Gonzalo “Papi” LeBatard on Highly Questionable; and Michelle Beadle, Max Kellerman and Marcellus Wiley on SportsNation.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

I liked him in the night slot. He was a good alternative to the late shows or regular old sportscenter. I guess they'll just replay his show though. Would make sense to replay it in the same time slot.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

ElliotTheFan wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
Why was he booted from espn many years ago?

IIRC, the brass at ESPN was getting tired of Olberman and Dan Patrick's 'Big Show' and at some point amidst pressuring them to follow the script more Olberman went off, bashed the city of Bristol, etc etc. At least that's what I kinda think happened...

Patrick said Vince Cellini (while on CNN's then-nightly sports show) referred to Olbermann as "the anti-Christ", though Dan didn't know why.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Surprised it lasted this long.

http://tvline.com/2015/07/08/espn-keith-olbermann-leaves/#more-624637

Quote:
ESPN, Keith Olbermann Part Ways
Almost two years after returning to the sports hub he called home in the 1990s, Keith Olbermann has again parted ways with ESPN.
The news comes two months after ESPN bailed on contract talks with vet Bill Simmons and one week after reports surfaced claiming that the cabler was seeking to stifle Olbermann’s penchant for delivering pointed, critical on-air commentaries. In response, ESPN issued this rebuttal on Twitter:

In a new statement confirming Olbermann’s exit, the network says, “Keith is a tremendous talent who has consistently done timely, entertaining and thought-provoking work since returning to ESPN. While the show’s content was distinctive and extremely high quality, we ultimately made a business decision to move in another direction. We wish Keith nothing but the best and trust that his skill and ability will lead him to another promising endeavor.”
Prior to August 2013 ESPN encore, Olbermann had programs on MSNBC and then Current TV.
His eponymous ESPN2 program will continue through the end of July.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Well, he can always host a youtube show?
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject:

It seems that this is strictly a business decision. I read an article that talked about ESPN losing over 3 million subscribers over the last few years. They've canceled a planned move that would have taken Mike & Mike to New York from their studios in Bristol. As we all know, they let Bill Simmons go. And they entered into a new deal with the NBA, which is much bigger than the previous deal. So I guess they'll cut costs as much as they can. As Olbermann's contract ends this year, I guess they didn't feel it made sense to continue paying him large amounts of money to host a show on ESPN2, which seems to be the only sports show that talks about baseball in depth. Every time I switched to his show, he was talking to some obscure guy about baseball. I don't know what his ratings were, but I thought the show sucked.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject:

I saw his show only a handful of times. I sort of liked it, but I also thought it seemed sort of odd. It was like he was doing a one-man Sportscenter for half an hour. Is that all that they could come up with?
LaZonaImagery
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject:

I heard he got in a fight with Larry Mccormick at KTLA back in the day. Stan Chambers had to break it up.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject:

LaZonaImagery wrote:
I heard he got in a fight with Larry Mccormick at KTLA back in the day. Stan Chambers had to break it up.

Was Hal Fishman not available?

*edit* Bah, Hal was on another station.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: