Shaq Vs. Kobe
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Shaq vs Kobe
Shaq
39%
 39%  [ 30 ]
Kobe
60%
 60%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 76

lakersfan22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Shaq Vs. Kobe

Who would you take in their prime for lets say 4 years?

I got Shaq.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject:

Kobe

inb4 I'm vilified as a "Kobe-first" fan.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject:

offseason
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject:

Shaq. No one in the league could slow him. Howard is the best defensive big and Shaq would dominate him.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Shaq. No one in the league could slow him. Howard is the best defensive big and Shaq would dominate him.

Shaq in his prime, hands down.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

So wait, who could slow prime Kobe?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Lebron for one. There are many more quality perimeter defenders in the game than post defenders.
Air Apparent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Op is a stealth anti Kobe troll

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=5333483&highlight=#5333483

But to answer your question i got Kobe.

Shaq in his prime needed a first team all nba superstar(kobe) to win titles, make clutch shots, be facilitator and defend opposing teams best perimeter player. Same in Miami, we saw him pretty much piggy back wade for a title.

Kobe proved he could win with great complimentary pieces. Gasol was great but he was all nba third team.

And why only 4 years? We've seen Kobe dominate in his prime a lot longer than 4 years.

"Prior to evolving his game this season (12-13), Kobe became a tall Allen Iverson." - Lakersarethebesteva

Last edited by Air Apparent on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject:

This is how I will rank it.

Peak Prime - Shaq (Kobe was great but Shaq's peak was out of this world)

Longer Prime - Kobe

Edit: I voted Kobe btw

Last edited by Lakers 4 eva on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject:

I hate polls like these. They just divide the fan base.

How about we keep both? I figure the two of them could win a few championships together. No?

Last edited by The Shadow King on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Shaq was unstoppable.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
This is how I will rank it.

Peak Prime - Shaq (Kobe was great but Shaq's peak was out of this world)

Longer Prime - Kobe
lakersfan22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Air Apparent wrote:
Op is a stealth anti Kobe troll

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=5333483&highlight=#5333483

But to answer your question i got Kobe.

Shaq in his prime needed a first team all nba superstar(kobe) to win titles, make clutch shots, be facilitator and defend opposing teams best perimeter player. Same in Miami, we saw him pretty much piggy back wade for a title.

Kobe proved he could win with great complimentary pieces. Gasol was great but he was all nba third team.

And why only 4 years? We've seen Kobe dominate in his prime a lot longer than 4 years.
Dude Kobe is my favorite player in all of sports of all time.

But Kobe is a douche in a arrogant way just like MJ. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the 4 years, Kobe's prime lasted longer so there wouldn't be any question he is the choice. Also 4 years is a typical max NBA contract.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject:

The Bean. W/o hesitation.

Ok maybe a small one lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rang15
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject:

100 times out of 100 I take Kobe's career, and when Dr. Buss had to choose between Shaq and Kobe I was in the Kobe camp.

But 4 years of his prime? Shaq. Truth is, only maybe 2-3 of those prime years were superior to any of Kobe's peak years, it's just that those 2-3 were so dominant that you have to take it.

When I think of how the 00-01 Lakers might stack up against (say) the 95-96 Bulls, I'm not even thinking about how Kobe would pick them apart or match up with Jordan or Pippen; I'm thinking about how Shaq would eviscerate Luc Longley.
faze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject:

It's actually tougher than it looks. Shaq was the most unstoppable force we've seen in his prime, but he needs a true star wing player to close out games for him like most other bigs, but Shaq probably needs it more than other centers since his free throw % was so poor. Kobe's prime is severely undderated as well, since 3 of 4 or 5 of his true "prime" seasons were wasted on terrible teams. He's been so good for so long, we sort of lump his prime basically from 2001-2010, and he's still playing at an absurdly high level. People always say they'd rather have a big than a small if they were starting out, but I don't know if that's ever been true tbh, and is certainly not true in today's game.

How many championship calibur wing all-stars are there in the league at any one time? You need someone you can consistently rely on to score in the 4th, and I'd say there's probably 6-7 at the MOST in the league right now. IMO, it's easier to build around a great guard/point forward since you can basically surround him with defenders and shooters. It's easier to get a top 20(overall) big like Gasol to compliment a superstar wing then it is to get a top 20 wing player who you have to rely on to close games.
Bodhi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject:

For just 4 years? Shaq

For a career? Kobe
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Shaq had a higher peak just because of genes and less players with comparable skill sets. Kobe has better longevity for sure, but more comparable players.

I voted Snaq.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject:

faze wrote:
It's actually tougher than it looks. Shaq was the most unstoppable force we've seen in his prime, but he needs a true star wing player to close out games for him like most other bigs, but Shaq probably needs it more than other centers since his free throw % was so poor. Kobe's prime is severely undderated as well, since 3 of 4 or 5 of his true "prime" seasons were wasted on terrible teams. He's been so good for so long, we sort of lump his prime basically from 2001-2010, and he's still playing at an absurdly high level. People always say they'd rather have a big than a small if they were starting out, but I don't know if that's ever been true tbh, and is certainly not true in today's game.

How many championship calibur wing all-stars are there in the league at any one time? You need someone you can consistently rely on to score in the 4th, and I'd say there's probably 6-7 at the MOST in the league right now. IMO, it's easier to build around a great guard/point forward since you can basically surround him with defenders and shooters. It's easier to get a top 20(overall) big like Gasol to compliment a superstar wing then it is to get a top 20 wing player who you have to rely on to close games.

I wouldn't necessarily say you need wing players to close out games - you just need a post player who isn't a horrible FT shooter like Shaq and Howard. Of course having a dominant low post and perimter player is optimal, but The Dream used to close out games for the Rox. As much as I hate Duncan, he would close out games too, and even though his FT percentage wasn't great, he would clutch them out. KAJ would also close out games.
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Kobe in his prime hands down, up, sideways in and out...
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:
faze wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily say you need wing players to close out games - you just need a post player who isn't a horrible FT shooter like Shaq and Howard. Of course having a dominant low post and perimter player is optimal, but The Dream used to close out games for the Rox. As much as I hate Duncan, he would close out games too, and even though his FT percentage wasn't great, he would clutch them out. KAJ would also close out games.

Shaq was skilled enough offensively that he could close out games. You wouldn't want him on the court for the final 30 seconds of a game, but before that he was great.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Too bad Shaq's unquestioned prime lasted but one season, not four.
singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Shaq..

C'mon now.. You'd dump Shaq the ball, he'd have 4 defenders trap in on him, he rises up for the monster jam. That was just ridiculous.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Shaq was the most dominating force within 5-8 feet away from the basket.
Easily a 35 ,15, 3 type of guy on any given night.
-Only downfall is his free throws.

Kobe could drop 50,60,70, or even 80 on you on any given night.
Zero weaknesses on the basketball court from offense to defense.
-Only downfall is that while he is dropping 80 points all by his lonesome , his teammates might be in kobe watching mode. An that obviously isn't good for team cohesion and chemistry.

So I'm gonna go with Earvin Magic Johnson

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
PassiontoWin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Lebron for one. There are many more quality perimeter defenders in the game than post defenders.

Yeah sure..based on what proof? LBJ couldn't even shut down a passed his prime Kobe even if he wanted to. Nobody slows a prime Kobe down. And it's not saying much to put a bigger stronger and more naturally gifted guy on a smaller weaker guy and it maybe bothers him a little. Says more about how good Kobe is to dominate against more gifted athletes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: