TIPPING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject:

And I don't usually return to places that put a jar for tips. Its a bad image for the business. If I were the owner I'd do a trial run of that for a month, see what the average is and probably raise the cost of product a small % to up the employee's wages instead of a jar.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I really only tip about 10%. That's the easiest way for me to remember.

If I'm with a party of 6 or larger, I'll give them 15%.

Obviously, on a few occasions that I actually got exceptional service, I would tip 20% and maybe even 25% if I'm extremely impressed.

Some people will argue that you have to tip no matter how bad the service is, because their wages are so low they don't make money. Well if that's the case, why the f*** are you giving me bad service? Am I right? I'm talking about the ones who seriously don't give a damn about taking your order, checking up on you, etc. They can yell at me all they want but deep down, they know they didn't deserve squat.
Statcat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:
I would say 8 out of 10 jobs where people get paid a salary or by the hour don't get free tips. So why should the 2 out of 10? Employee gets paid for service, I'm paying for service. It should stop there

As a woman there are few things I find more unattractive than a lousy tipper.
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject:

I don't ever tip for bad service. Never. That's my hard earned money yo. I only tip to good servers who actually deserve it.

But I usually tip 15%

Last edited by GoldenChild on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject:

pjdodgers wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants probably have the rudest servers of all time that don't deserve even a penny but it just goes against every fiber of my being not to tip so I do it anyways.

It's because at many of these restaurants, the server doesn't get to keep the tips. The owner does. So they have no incentive to be good servers and are as jaded as can be.

At those places where I'm confident the owner keeps the tip, I tip a dollar per person eating, regardless of how much the bill comes out to be.

Actually they split the tips from what I heard, well at least for most Thai restaurants.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject:

lakershead22 wrote:
I always tip. I'm not cheap and I never complain to the managers

It's not about being cheap dude. Everyone has different opinions on the matter and mines is if it sucks then why tip? If a person is rude and gave crap service I'm suppose to give them money!!! Lol. Reward them for being awful and bad attitude and rude to customers? That's encouraging them to keep on being bad since suckers tip regardless.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Statcat wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:
I would say 8 out of 10 jobs where people get paid a salary or by the hour don't get free tips. So why should the 2 out of 10? Employee gets paid for service, I'm paying for service. It should stop there

Is silly. It's not the law to tip. If he doesn't want to tip then it should be his choice. Finding a guy unattractive because his choice on tippng is shallow.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm a great tipper usually tip 20-40 dollars whenever she gives more than one dance in the VIP room

Last edited by 999 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
Statcat wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

Is silly. It's not the law to tip. If he doesn't want to tip then it should be his choice. Finding a guy unattractive because his choice on tippng is shallow.

In many states, positions where tipping is expected dont get paid even minimum wage, and in some cases are taxed for the tips they were expected to get even when the jerk they were serving left em nothing. Unless e service was complete crap, tip. If you can't afford to, then maybe you should be eating out less often.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
Statcat wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

LoL. Really?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject:

I tip 20 percent plus change and an extra dollar at all sit-down restaurants. For exceptional service, I'll give 25 or even 30 percent.

If I'm at a Chinese Dim Sum restaurant, I'll just leave ten percent though. The service simply doesn't warrant a regular tip. The ten percent is just because I know what I'm getting myself into and so it wouldn't really be fair to leave nothing at all.

I think it's completely classless to be a lousy tipper, since that is essentially all the waiters/waitresses are being paid. A lot of employers circumvent the minimum wage laws and don't pay salaries at all, or pay very little, like $2.86 an hour.

I've never received bad service before when I'm paying. I might just be lucky, or it might just be that I never really complain about service. A couple of weeks ago, the waiter at Ruth's Chris brought me mashed potatoes when I ordered Mac and Cheese, but I didn't really care.

Most bad service is institutional and not really the fault of the server, in my opinion. Not fair to screw them over.

TAXI DRIVERS, on the other hand... My tipping is much more volatile with them. I will tip 50% if I wind up having a good conversation (which generally consists of complaining about the city, other people, etc.) but I will completely (bleep) them over if they don't do their job properly just because I don't view their job as very difficult.

Show up late, make me walk over to the cab, or have traces of smoke in your car? Zero tip is my policy. One time, I scheduled an hour long taxi drive to the airport with a friend. It was supposed to be just the two of us but the douche taxi driver squeezed another guy in so he could make more money.

We tipped him $5 on a $165 bill in retaliation. He was pissed. I wish we hadn't given him anything at all. Hopefully he learns his lesson.

A few weeks ago, I tipped some lady 50% because she helped me complain about fascist Irvine and shallow people at South Coast Plaza. Otherwise, I tip 20%-- 25% if it's in NYC since that's the card minimum.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject:

How much do you guys tip your barber?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
How much do you guys tip your barber?

3 bucks on a 12 dollar cut.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject:

What do you guys do at buffets? Like Soup Plantation?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Bull (bleep) custom.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Tipping used to be a cool thing at one time. A gratuity for nice service, a little something extra. But the service industry basically decided to let the customer pay the restaurant for the meal and service, and then pay the employees who served it as well.

That said, because it is the livelihood of the person working, i tip always. 20% for the most part, occasionally something extra for a really great experience. But I don't punish bad service with a bad tip. I shame them with a nice tip, and i take up any serious problems with management or the waiter themselves. Not tipping doesn't teach them anything, and it certainly doesn't alert management, and it stiffs the cooks and bussers as well.

I find that always leaving a good tip affects my attitude. i don't look for slights or reasons bad tippers find (because 98% of the time they are just cheap and looking for justification), and i generally have a good time and usually get good service, especially in places i go multiple times.

No one has ever died wishing they'd spent more time in the office, and no one has ever died wishing they were a lousier tipper either.
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of tipping, anyone ever had bad/weird experience at a TONY ROMA's restaurant? It happened to me twice at two different Tony Roma's where we gave the waitress the money for the bill (we expected change), but she never came back. She ASSUMED it was for her?! I was gonna tip her, but for her to do that was classless. The other one in Burbank, the waitress just took my money AGAIN without giving me change and said thank you have a good night!! WTF? I find it very rude and arrogant when they actually EXPECT it and not even bother to give us change so we can have the option of tipping. It was change worth $40.00 and she thinks it's all hers?
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
my standard tip is doubling the tax

I do the same.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Statcat wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

Maybe you chose a crappy job, you should move up. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a generous tipper contrary to my beliefs of what is really fair. I'm not gonna be a jerk. I'm just saying, do in the U.S. what they do in the UK. Raise prices a bit to give employee a better pay. I've heard its an insult to tip in the UK, its like telling someone you're poor. I kinda agree with that concept. Its not a good look. Restaurants, ok whatever, but these other places who put a jar for tip and they don't really serve you, or practically a fast food, give me a break.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject:

And be careful at hotels in Vegas. They'll put a spot on the receipt for you to add a tip, but when you read the menus, it says that 15 or 20% gratuity is already added on the bill. Was suckered at first.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject:

Question: When you don't give a tip because of bad service, do you tell them it's because of bad service, or do you just walk away?
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject:

I give 20 to valet guys sometimes.
Usually tip high if I will see them often or if they have excellent service.
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject:

I usually tip about 25% of the cows in the field, but if i'm feeling tired, i might only tip about 15-20% of them.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
Statcat wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

In many states, positions where tipping is expected dont get paid even minimum wage, and in some cases are taxed for the tips they were expected to get even when the jerk they were serving left em nothing. Unless e service was complete crap, tip. If you can't afford to, then maybe you should be eating out less often.

Again its up to ea. person. Yes it sucks but why blame the customer for that. If a person pays for his check full then he fulfilled his commitment. Anything after that should be up to the person and they shouldn't be made feel like scum because they didn't leave anything.

Many many people do their jobs without tips. As far as getting taxed for tips then why blame the customer. It's completely unfair but thats business taking advantage.

So wait so if I have money to pay for the bill in full but not enough for the tip then YOU feel the need to tell me to stay at home instead? lol. Get off your high horse. You are required to ONLY pay the bill. NOT tip. If I don't want to tip then I don't have too.

I do tip but If I got a ten and my meal came out to 9.50 then sorry it's all I got. I'm not going to feel like scum just because I didn't work an extra hour or two at work to give someone money.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
Statcat wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

Again its up to ea. person. Yes it sucks but why blame the customer for that. If a person pays for his check full then he fulfilled his commitment. Anything after that should be up to the person and they shouldn't be made feel like scum because they didn't leave anything.

Many many people do their jobs without tips. As far as getting taxed for tips then why blame the customer. It's completely unfair but thats business taking advantage.

So wait so if I have money to pay for the bill in full but not enough for the tip then YOU feel the need to tell me to stay at home instead? lol. Get off your high horse. You are required to ONLY pay the bill. NOT tip. If I don't want to tip then I don't have too.

I do tip but If I got a ten and my meal came out to 9.50 then sorry it's all I got. I'm not going to feel like scum just because I didn't work an extra hour or two at work to give someone money.

Servers make less than minimum wage they rely on tips. Sorry but that is scumbag behavior no matter how you spin it. If you ever waited tables you would know. Its not an easy job.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23
Jump to: