TIPPING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
Get off your high horse. You are required to ONLY pay the bill. NOT tip.

The servers are only require to put a plate on your table. Not refill your drinks, take your finished plates, etc. See this can go both ways. While its not required by law its an accepted courtesy when dining out. If you can't afford to put out a decent tip just stay home.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:

The servers are only require to put a plate on your table. Not refill your drinks, take your finished plates, etc. See this can go both ways. While its not required by law its an accepted courtesy when dining out. If you can't afford to put out a decent tip just stay home.

lol uh no. they are required to refill drinks. i bought the damn drink. and they dont have to take my finished plate away..i could care less. bring me my food..refill my drink..and come by once to ask how it is..then you can do as you please

just curious, are you or were you a server ever?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:

lol uh no. they are required to refill drinks. i bought the damn drink. and they dont have to take my finished plate away..i could care less. bring me my food..refill my drink..and come by once to ask how it is..then you can do as you please

During college at a boiling crab type place. I lived off the tips.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject:

Damn I can't believe how many people are okay with not tipping or tipping very little. Might as well move to Australia. Nobody tips there and if you do tip they look at you strange.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
Statcat wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:
I would say 8 out of 10 jobs where people get paid a salary or by the hour don't get free tips. So why should the 2 out of 10? Employee gets paid for service, I'm paying for service. It should stop there

As a woman there are few things I find more unattractive than a lousy tipper.

Is silly. It's not the law to tip. If he doesn't want to tip then it should be his choice. Finding a guy unattractive because his choice on tippng is shallow.

In many states, positions where tipping is expected dont get paid even minimum wage, and in some cases are taxed for the tips they were expected to get even when the jerk they were serving left em nothing. Unless e service was complete crap, tip. If you can't afford to, then maybe you should be eating out less often.

Again its up to ea. person. Yes it sucks but why blame the customer for that. If a person pays for his check full then he fulfilled his commitment. Anything after that should be up to the person and they shouldn't be made feel like scum because they didn't leave anything.

Many many people do their jobs without tips. As far as getting taxed for tips then why blame the customer. It's completely unfair but thats business taking advantage.

So wait so if I have money to pay for the bill in full but not enough for the tip then YOU feel the need to tell me to stay at home instead? lol. Get off your high horse. You are required to ONLY pay the bill. NOT tip. If I don't want to tip then I don't have too.

I do tip but If I got a ten and my meal came out to 9.50 then sorry it's all I got. I'm not going to feel like scum just because I didn't work an extra hour or two at work to give someone money.

Servers make less than minimum wage they rely on tips. Sorry but that is scumbag behavior no matter how you spin it. If you ever waited tables you would know. Its not an easy job.

I tip. But i'm not ignorant and won't call anyone who CHOOSES not to tip a scumbag. That's where my problem is.

I don't tip if the service was bad. I tip if it was good to great. I tip well actually. If I go with a friend and he doesn't tip well it's his freaking choice! What do I care how he lives his life.

He doesn't own them jack ****.

You have no right to try and make choices for people and then call them scum bags because your opinion is different.

Some people live off tips. You know what? I had a minimum paying job back in the day serving food and I didn't get tips. Millions of people have minimum paying jobs and don't get tips. It's a nice perk of the job to get extras on tips but it's not required its not the law and it's not added to the bill.

I went to Carls JR and they brought me my food, kept coming by to check on us and they were great. Do you tip them? Does anyone tip them?

If you get bad service at a restaurant and you leave a tip then you are rewarding bad service period. You work hard for that money and many people barely make it on their own yet are required to leave tip even if the service is bad?

So get off your high horse and respect other peoples choices. I respect that you tip and I respect those that choose not too. It's your damn choice and just because society says you should tip or else your a monster doesn't make it right to call people out and think of them as scum. If anything it says more about you.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject:

I robo-tip at 15% on the bottom-line amount (which includes tipping on the taxes), unless the service stood out. If the service was good and personable, 20% to 25%. If the service was exceptionally bad (wide latitude, many restaurants under-staff) then I might tip less than 15%, but that is exceedingly rare. I cannot remember the last time I left less than 15%.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:
Speaking of tipping, anyone ever had bad/weird experience at a TONY ROMA's restaurant? It happened to me twice at two different Tony Roma's where we gave the waitress the money for the bill (we expected change), but she never came back. She ASSUMED it was for her?! I was gonna tip her, but for her to do that was classless. The other one in Burbank, the waitress just took my money AGAIN without giving me change and said thank you have a good night!! what the heck? I find it very rude and arrogant when they actually EXPECT it and not even bother to give us change so we can have the option of tipping. It was change worth $40.00 and she thinks it's all hers?

That's stealing. You should report them.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject:

All the guides say to tip 15% _before_ tax and _before_ any discounts.

I'll tip that almost all the time. For exceptional service, that gets bumped up to 20%. I don't go up much more than that because you usually already _pay_for exceptional service because the meal was very expensive overall.

A $200 meal is already $40. For waiting on only a few tables, even if the tip is shared, is steal quite a bit of money overall.

And if I don't get good service at $200 for dinner for 3, I would complain to the manager. Simple as that.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject:

And if I'm in Sacramento, I sneak up to the cows late at night and...
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:

During college at a boiling crab type place. I lived off the tips.

i had a feeling you were. my cousin served at olive garden. and i swear servers, its like a fraternity that believes in "tipping is required and you gotta tip a lot". we'll go out to eat, get (bleep) service, and my cousin will leave a 30% tip, just because he was a server so he "feels their pain because they only get min wage"

but so what. if the service is bad, and you tip, you're rewarding them.

the problem is that they feel entitled. they feel they should get a tip regardless. if tipping didn't become the norm, service would be better, because you'd be working for your tip..trying to EARN it instead of working like youre getting it regardless because the customer HAS to.

thats where i come in..haha..i believe a server has to earn their tip
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject:

I worked as a server for 3 years in college and I still will only tip either 10% or 20%. 10 for average, expected service and 20 for very good, accommodating service. Plus 15% is too hard for me to do in my head and I don't want to use my phone to calculate it.
Statcat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject:

People that don't tip well always have an excuse and unless the service is lousy, usually it's because they're cheap.

Last edited by Statcat on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject:

Statcat wrote:
People that don't tip well always have an excuse, and unless the service is lousy, usually it's because they're cheap.

cool story sis
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject:

Tipping is such a scam, and we all go along with it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I robo-tip at 15% on the bottom-line amount (which includes tipping on the taxes), unless the service stood out. If the service was good and personable, 20% to 25%. If the service was exceptionally bad (wide latitude, many restaurants under-staff) then I might tip less than 15%, but that is exceedingly rare. I cannot remember the last time I left less than 15%.

Pretty much this.

Lotta cheap (bleep) up in this joint. Just admitting one is a cheap (bleep) is liberating fellas. No one is judging.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I'll disagree, for reasons already posted, especially those posted by 24. Though I never complain to the management. I think that is pretty much pointless. Just an example. There's this Italian place a few blocks from my place, and after a long, (bleep) day at work I frequently get pick up from them just because I'm exhausted. Other times, I've been there and had a sit down meal. As a result of me tipping a few bucks on pick up multiple times, they know me by name and are incredibly friendly and helpful almost to a fault. Perhaps it's because I'm one of few that tips on take out. I don't know. In any event, as a result, if I ever go in for a sit down meal with friends we get treated very kindly. The staff remembers this (bleep), and acts accordingly. Granted, this is a small establishment, but the point remains the same.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I'll disagree, for reasons already posted, especially those posted by 24. Though I never complain to the management. I think that is pretty much pointless. Just an example. There's this Italian place a few blocks from my place, and after a long, (bleep) day at work I frequently get pick up from them just because I'm exhausted. Other times, I've been there and had a sit down meal. As a result of me tipping a few bucks on pick up multiple times, they know me by name and are incredibly friendly and helpful almost to a fault. Perhaps it's because I'm one of few that tips on take out. I don't know. In any event, as a result, if I ever go in for a sit down meal with friends we get treated very kindly. The staff remembers this (bleep), and acts accordingly. Granted, this is a small establishment, but the point remains the same.

I don't see how that has anything to do with the guilt enforced social system of tipping. Tipping is a scam created by restaurant employers to get the customers to pay the wages of their employees and take the heat away from them, while simultaneously having the luxury of advertising cheaper prices for their meals. We pay it because we know that there will never be enough people willing to stop tipping in order to get employers to pay them fair wages themselves, so we don't want to feel the guilt of their employees only making minimum wage. Employers know that customers don't want to feel that guilt, so they take advantage of this emotionally manipulative social system that has emerged. Also, the particular customs that have evolved for where tips are and aren't allowed/expected, is completely arbitrary.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject:

Perhaps I should have been a little more precise. Tipping is a scam insofar as it's a method used by the employer to under pay employees. But it is what is. There isn't going to be a grand halt to the system. That's not going to happen in our lifetime. I know full well what I'm getting myself into when I tip someone. Just because the system is (bleep) up doesn't mean I have to play along.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject:

Statcat wrote:
People that don't tip well always have an excuse and unless the service is lousy, usually it's because they're cheap.

You're completely right. Ugh i wish restaurants would have a sign that said "If you are too poor to even tip regardless if you have money to pay our bill stay out bums!"

God that would be so cool. That would keep the cheap and poor people out of places us cool tippers go too.

No wonder some places have crap service. They can spit on your food and some people will still give them a tip!!! I mean think about how ludicrous that notion is.

tipping should be up to the individual.

Now I have to tip a person for them to do their job and take my order and refill my drink!

Man I wish I could clock in my job and be on the internet all day, be late on my reports, be rude to my boss and still get bonuses all day! Oh yeah!

Last edited by Kobeskillz on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
undefeatedAJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject:

Just ok service deserves double tax. Great service 20-25%. Horrible service still nets them 10% from me.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
but so what. if the service is bad, and you tip, you're rewarding them.

Right there, is probably the #1 reason why service can be so bad at times. That's because people tip them regardless of whether or not they give a damn.

And for me, if you really don't give a damn about me (making me wait forever to take an order, bring food, refill drinks, check up) then I don't give a damn about you and won't tip.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject:

undefeatedAJ wrote:
Just ok service deserves double tax. Great service 20-25%. Horrible service still nets them 10% from me.

It's a little different here in the UK, most people will I know would tip 10% if the service was acceptable and that is considered a decent amount.

I would tip more for particularly good service, but I disagree with you when it goes the other way.

I don't see why someone should be bad at their job / provide horrible service and still get rewarded for that, I can't do that, it's not about the money it's the principle of not essentially encouraging poor service by rewarding it.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Damn I can't believe how many people are okay with not tipping or tipping very little. Might as well move to Australia. Nobody tips there and if you do tip they look at you strange.

Outside of the US, the worker gets a living wage included in the price. Tipping is for service above and beyond normal. In the US, waiters get just tips (after splitting some with staff) unless it comes out to less than minimum wage. None of it is included in the price.

Idiotic practice, but how the hell would you change it now?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Outside of the US, the worker gets a living wage included in the price. Tipping is for service above and beyond normal. In the US, waiters get just tips (after splitting some with staff) unless it comes out to less than minimum wage. None of it is included in the price.

Idiotic practice, but how the hell would you change it now?

Yup. In many states (not Cali) you can pay tipped employees a minimum wage of $2.13 an hour. Tips are assumed.

LINK
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
undefeatedAJ wrote:

It's a little different here in the UK, most people will I know would tip 10% if the service was acceptable and that is considered a decent amount.

I would tip more for particularly good service, but I disagree with you when it goes the other way.

I don't see why someone should be bad at their job / provide horrible service and still get rewarded for that, I can't do that, it's not about the money it's the principle of not essentially encouraging poor service by rewarding it.

Here's another way to look at it: Have you ever had a bad day, or an unproductive day at work? Did they subtract that day from your wages? Why not? Paying you for that day would encourage you to do that...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23
Jump to: