TIPPING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject:

oliverginob wrote:
I hate when people cover for my part of the ridiculous 15% instead of respecting my choice not to care about the stupid archaic and random gratuity number. don't pay more and just point me out to the waiter if you like, I don't care .

ok vent over, lol . tipping sucks

Now I've seen it all. Someone actually complaining about the tip being covered by someone else.

As if being anti-tip is some noble cause and your ability to make a bold statement about society has been censored.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
in asia u dont tip. even ktv.

In Asia employers are angels and pay their workers a "living wage" bahhaahahahahahahhaha.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The only problem with the gratuity included is late night, when I'm with a group and we're all half-crocked... and then proceed to tip 20% on the total amount which already included the tip.

That does happen. My daughter recently turned 18 and graduated, so we had two large dinner parties. They included a 18% tip in the bill. Normally I would have left more, especially for such happy occasions. But it was just easier to sign off on the 18% and walk out. When I travel for work we are limited to 15%. They claim they will reject if we tip more. Not sure if that has ever happened yet, but I don't want to be the first.
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject:

$8 lunch today, i left a $2 tip.

#yolo
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Grammer wrote:
$8 lunch today, i left a $2 tip.

#yolo

Did take out for 2 slices of cheesecake, left a 3 dollar tip on 10.

#YOTO?
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject:

We need tipping as a rule whenever we get insanely good posts from vets on this site.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject:

After a Third Eye Blind concert yesterday, I went to a Japanese Restaurant (Plum Tree) with someone else. Horrible experience, and we wound up collectively tipping a dime. The lowest tip I had ever given in my life prior to this was 17%. I normally tip 20% + change, 25% for good service, and 30% if I had a conversation with the waiter. This guy was just so rude and unprofessional that we really had no choice:

1) He completely ignored us until the manager pointed to us.

2) He only re-filled our water once the entire time, and that was only because I asked.

3) One of the other waiters sarcastically proclaimed "Look what our friend left us!" when another table didn't tip. That was unprofessional to say it so loudly, and then he asked US if "Everything was okay" when he heard me laughing. He was basically trying to tell me to shut up.

4) He told us that they were closing and to hurry up.

5) At this point, I probably still would have tipped 20%. On the rare occasion that I get bad service at a restaurant, I tip 20% anyway in order to embarrass the waiter and make them feel bad. But this idiot brought us the bill WHILE WE WERE ONLY HALFWAY through eating, and demanded that we pay right then and there! And then he STOOD OVER US WHILE WE WERE PAYING. Who the (bleep) does that?

We gave him $45 for a $41.90 bill. He then said "Is this okay (for me to keep?)" What a presumptuous idiot. I took back a five and replaced it with two ones. And then he said "This doesn't include the tip, right?"

That was just too much for me. I'm a compassionate person and I know they only make $2.87 an hour in salary and therefore live off the tips. But you NEVER DEMAND A TIP. What this scumbag was trying to do was exercise some sort of power dynamic-- he was trying to shame us into tipping. He was trying to prove that he had some sort of authority over us, because this restaurant was his territory; his dojo.

We left him the dime and got out of there. I was originally going to pocket the dime so he got nothing, but I was afraid he would just think that we forgot to tip and weren't intentionally screwing him over. In retrospect, we should have replaced it with a penny.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
After a Third Eye Blind concert yesterday, I went to a Japanese Restaurant (Plum Tree) with someone else. Horrible experience, and we wound up collectively tipping a dime. The lowest tip I had ever given in my life prior to this was 17%. I normally tip 20% + change, 25% for good service, and 30% if I had a conversation with the waiter. This guy was just so rude and unprofessional that we really had no choice:

1) He completely ignored us until the manager pointed to us.

2) He only re-filled our water once the entire time, and that was only because I asked.

3) One of the other waiters sarcastically proclaimed "Look what our friend left us!" when another table didn't tip. That was unprofessional to say it so loudly, and then he asked US if "Everything was okay" when he heard me laughing. He was basically trying to tell me to shut up.

4) He told us that they were closing and to hurry up.

5) At this point, I probably still would have tipped 20%. On the rare occasion that I get bad service at a restaurant, I tip 20% anyway in order to embarrass the waiter and make them feel bad. But this idiot brought us the bill WHILE WE WERE ONLY HALFWAY through eating, and demanded that we pay right then and there! And then he STOOD OVER US WHILE WE WERE PAYING. Who the (bleep) does that?

We gave him $45 for a $41.90 bill. He then said "Is this okay (for me to keep?)" What a presumptuous idiot. I took back a five and replaced it with two ones. And then he said "This doesn't include the tip, right?"

That was just too much for me. I'm a compassionate person and I know they only make $2.87 an hour in salary and therefore live off the tips. But you NEVER DEMAND A TIP. What this scumbag was trying to do was exercise some sort of power dynamic-- he was trying to shame us into tipping. He was trying to prove that he had some sort of authority over us, because this restaurant was his territory; his dojo.

We left him the dime and got out of there. I was originally going to pocket the dime so he got nothing, but I was afraid he would just think that we forgot to tip and weren't intentionally screwing him over. In retrospect, we should have replaced it with a penny.

Story was good until you added to the myth that they only make "2.87" in salary. They make minimum wage period. They make at LEAST minimum wage. If the salary + tips don't add up to minimum wage the employer has to top up.

Why do you guys keep repeating that they only make 2.87?

If you make a bonus and have capital gains, try to tell the IRS you ONLY make your base salary and see them laugh in your face.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject:

A waiters JOB is to provide good service, that is why they are PAID!!

If you don't give good service, then the waiter should lose his/her job. Period.

Where does freakin tipping get involved? You don't like the job description and pay then get a better job.

Exceptional service and attitude, I've believe they earned a 10% tip. But that shouldn't be expected. Both the waiter and customer already know they are being paid for good service.

Anyways, I usually tip 20% minimum not to be a jerk if I'm out with another person like my gf. I usually don't encounter poor service but if I did I wouldn't go back and either not tip or just leave a small tip.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty reliable at tipping 15-20%, maybe a little more if the server does something exceptional. If the service is below par but not offensively so I might drop to 10%.

I could count on 1 hand the number of times I left a "stiff tip". The first was because the server was rude literally from the moment I walked in until the moment I left. That earned her an 8-cent tip. The 2nd time was because the lazy server never brought 2 of the items I ordered and paid for, and never checked up on me once after the main dish was served. That also earned her an 8-cent tip.

The last time was just a few weeks ago in a Japanese restaurant I tried for the first time, where nobody took responsibility for anything. Before the meal came one waiter came by and I asked for a tea refill; he never brought it. When the meal came I asked the waiter (a different one) who brought the meal for some salt; it never came. Later a 3rd staffer asked if I needed anything and I asked for a tea refill (the same one I asked for 10 minutes ago which never arrived). That never came.

Finally at the end of the meal a 4th waiter asked me how the meal was. I said I would have enjoyed it more if I had ANYTHING to drink with my meal. I left a 50-cent tip on the $18 bill, and will never return to that crappy place.
alexxbailey
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject:

SPAM DELETED
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject:

alexxbailey wrote:
SPAM DELETED.

except receiving a tip is predicated on giving good service, and not the other way around.

did you sign up just to bump this 8 month old thread?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
alexxbailey wrote:
SPAM DELETED

except receiving a tip is predicated on giving good service, and not the other way around.

did you sign up just to bump this 8 month old thread?

It signed up to spam the forum.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:

If you don't give good service, then the waiter should lose his/her job. Period.

Where does freakin tipping get involved? You don't like the job description and pay then get a better job.

Exceptional service and attitude, I've believe they earned a 10% tip. But that shouldn't be expected. Both the waiter and customer already know they are being paid for good service.

Anyways, I usually tip 20% minimum not to be a jerk if I'm out with another person like my gf. I usually don't encounter poor service but if I did I wouldn't go back and either not tip or just leave a small tip.

I know this is an old thread and I haven't read every post, but it sounds like some people don't realize the Federal minimum wage for servers is $2.13/hr. Basically servers are expected to live off their tips. So 18-20% is not outrageous for good service.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

I know this is an old thread and I haven't read every post, but it sounds like some people don't realize the Federal minimum wage for servers is $2.13/hr. Basically servers are expected to live off their tips. So 18-20% is not outrageous for good service.

Yep. There's a lot of ignorance on this subject. Servers actually get paid LESS than what is minimum wage for all other workers. That is exactly because it is taken as a given that tips will serve as the major basis of their income.

It's not a question of "if you don't like the job description then get a 'better' job". First of all, TIPS are a key part of the job description. Second of all, this idea that waiting tables is somehow a lesser job where one should just accept no income is entirely missing the point. The problem is not wait staff anticipating some kind of tip for their labor (they should). The problem is tools who game the system and take money out of the servers' pockets.

What should really be said is, "If you don't want to tip, then wait until servers get paid a living wage and tips are no longer part of the equation when dining out before you go waste a server's time".

Bottom lines is that given the way the restaurant industry is designed financially at the moment, you have no business taking advantage of the privilege of dining out if you are unwilling to leave a reasonable tip for the service. It's part of the package. Willfilly skipping on the tip simply because you aren't legally obligated to pay it is a cowardly cop out.

If everyone had Laker Lover's horribly selfish attitude and didn't tip, then there'd be no good servers because no one would do the job, and dining out would be a miserable experience. If you don't want to tip, dine at McDonalds.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

How do you get paid less than minimum wage? Is that legal?

Personally I wouldn't take a job as a server for 2 dollars an hour and I think anyone else would be dumb to take that job, until they upped the wage.

Last edited by Laker Lover on Fri May 09, 2014 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:

Yes. The IRS assumes you are earning wages from tips because you are waiting tables, thus they lower the minimum wage for those employees to compensate from that assumed income.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

Yes. The IRS assumes you are earning wages from tips because you are waiting tables, thus they lower the minimum wage for those employees to compensate from that assumed income.

That's terrible because consumers shouldn't be expected to make up the difference.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Customers don't have an obligation to tip and lets say they don't and servers are stuck on making 2 dollars an hours or maybe 3-4 dollars, how does that make it right?

Id sure would like to see some real proof of servers being hired for less than minimum wage.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

well this rule sucks. i understand where it came from, they want the servers to get paid base on performance, but wouldn't we all? if i don't perform well on my job i'll get fired, why can't they do the same with servers? why put the onness and pressure on the consumer to judge their performance
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject:

In CA, servers make minimum wage + tips. In CA, tips cannot be used to offset minimum wage either - they aren't considered wages from the employer, but property of the employee.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:
Customers don't have an obligation to tip and lets say they don't and servers are stuck on making 2 dollars an hours or maybe 3-4 dollars, how does that make it right?

Id sure would like to see some real proof of servers being hired for less than minimum wage.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/q-a.htm

What is the federal minimum wage?

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the federal minimum wage for covered nonexempt employees is $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. Many states also have minimum wage laws. Where an employee is subject to both the state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher minimum wage rate.
Various minimum wage exceptions apply under specific circumstances to workers with disabilities, full-time students, youth under age 20 in their first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment, tipped employees and student-learners.

What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

An employer may pay a tipped employee not less than $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equal at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.
Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an employee is subject to both the federal and state wage laws, the employee is entitled to the provisions of each law which provide the greater benefits.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Laker Lover wrote:

well this rule sucks. i understand where it came from, they want the servers to get paid base on performance, but wouldn't we all? if i don't perform well on my job i'll get fired, why can't they do the same with servers? why put the onness and pressure on the consumer to judge their performance

There's a trend in some of the better restaurants towards doing away with the tip in their restaurants. They have raised their prices by 15% and are paying their servers directly according to that.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-end-of-restaurant-tipping-2013-08-19

But I wouldn't expect that to become the norm. For that to work, restaurants are going to have to raise their prices to cover that 15-20% and most will be reluctant to do so for fear it will drive customers away. Finer restaurants are going to get their customers either way. They are going to those establishments for a specific reason, not to split a plate of Bloomin' Onions with their friends.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Anyone else have any issues with combined tipping? Just the other night I was at a sports bar with a buddy and IMO he tipped really low and then tried to move my money I left for the tip toward his in the middle of the table. May seem subtle but I had to call him on it and move it back. If you're going to tip low don't chump out and try to pass it off to the group.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Anyone else have any issues with combined tipping? Just the other night I was at a sports bar with a buddy and IMO he tipped really low and then tried to move my money I left for the tip toward his in the middle of the table. May seem subtle but I had to call him on it and move it back. If you're going to tip low don't chump out and try to pass it off to the group.

Years ago I used to work at a small agency where we would all go out to lunch together each day (about 8 of us) and we had one guy in the bunch who would frequently pull the "I'll just put it all on my card, I'll take the cash - saves me a trip to the ATM . . ." and he'd pick up all the cash on the table which included everyone's portion of the bill and the tip. Then he'd pay the bill with a nominal tip. And since most us would just round up to make it easier and to make sure we paid our share, between that and the pilfered tip money he was probably covering his meal and maybe something in his pocket. Finally one of my co-workers took a peak at the receipt he left behind and put it all together. That was the last time we let him pay while collecting for our meals. Definitely a cheesy move.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23
Jump to: