Richie Incognito suspended by Dolphins for bullying and hazing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Richie Incognito suspended by Dolphins for bullying and hazing

LINK
Rookies go through hell their first year in the league. Hazing is a part of the game. Incognito went to far. I believe he may have ended his football career.

I agree with the NFL analyst who said the locker room should have handled the incident. The senior players should have quashed the incident.

What I don't understand is why what he did was labled hazing. Martin came into the league in 2012, how was he a rookie?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Was wondering when this would pop up, whats incognito look like?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [I want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

My God, this is awful. I hope this kid never plays in the NFL again. I read that Martin's parents are both lawyers of some sort so I imagine he's going to have the right representative.

Pau Gasol is nice
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject:

He looks like a complete tool
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

LINK

What? He looks the grown up version of 7 year old kkk boy.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Joe Philbin's press conference was such bullcrap. There's no way he didn't know what was going on. Did you guys see the hard knocks series. He knew everything about that team. And shame on the players for not stepping up to back up Martin. If you check Incognito's twitter timeline, he has multiple posts put up making fun of Martin. Dude was voted dirtiest player in the NFL a couple years back. Looks like he finally went too far. I can't see how Martin can go back to that team though, not after all this went down. He'll be known around the locker room as the snitch. That's a no-go.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject:

that's hazing? soft
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Riley Cooper even said Incognito was a racist!!!
Naf_srekaL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject:

I don't follow the NFL, and he seems like an idiot, but man does he not have the greatest last name of all time.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Joe Philbin's press conference was such bullcrap. There's no way he didn't know what was going on. Did you guys see the hard knocks series. He knew everything about that team. And shame on the players for not stepping up to back up Martin. If you check Incognito's twitter timeline, he has multiple posts put up making fun of Martin. Dude was voted dirtiest player in the NFL a couple years back. Looks like he finally went too far. I can't see how Martin can go back to that team though, not after all this went down. He'll be known around the locker room as the snitch. That's a no-go.

It's the "Papa Joe" defense. It didn't work for Paterno either.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Isaiah Kacyvenski, who last played in the NFL in 2006, said he wasn’t surprised by the alleged harassment that led former Stanford University offensive lineman Jonathan Martin to leave the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins two days ago suspended fellow lineman Richie Incognito for detrimental conduct as they and the NFL investigate the matter.

“I’m surprised it hasn’t happened sooner,” said Kacyvenski, who holds a master’s degree in business administration from Harvard and now directs sports business at the biomedical technology company MC10 Inc. in Cambridge, Massachusetts. “This is a wakeup call for a lot of people. I was made fun of for a lot of reasons. Only in the NFL can a Harvard degree have negative consequences.”

Kacyvenski, 36, played six of his seven seasons with the Seattle Seahawks and said when he entered the NFL some teammates thought he was a “rich, pampered kid” and he did whatever he could to avoid confirming a “preconceived notion of what a Harvard grad was.”

Even so, he didn’t fit the NFL mold and would often anger teammates by raising his hand during team meetings to ask questions about the way things were being done and the reasoning behind them, he said in a telephone interview....

Lunchroom Incident

The 6-foot-5, 312-pound Martin left the team on Oct. 28 after a lunchroom incident at the Dolphins’ facility in which the other offensive linemen stood up and left the table after Martin arrived and sat down with his food, NFL.com said.

Martin is in his second season with the Dolphins after being taken in the second round of the 2012 draft from Stanford, where he majored in Classical Studies. Martin’s parents both graduated from Harvard.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-05/nfl-players-with-elite-college-degrees-become-bullying-targets.html

Reprehensible. I knew there was some reason that Martin's teammates abandoned him, I figured there was something about him that branded him as an outsider.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject:

Here's an excerpt from an ESPN editorial penned by Tim Keown:

Quote:
Yes, this is America's game.

Own it. Even now, even after the extent of Incognito's viciousness has been revealed through voice mails and texts to Martin, there are NFL personnel people telling reporters, like Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter, that it's a man's game and Martin failed to handle it like a man. According to these unnamed men, Martin should have manned up and handled the situation face-to-face, with his fists if necessary.

You know -- like a man.

Seriously, though, did these men's men read the things Incognito reportedly said to Martin? Don't we encourage people not to deal with the deranged, to let the professionals handle it? Does anyone believe Incognito would be cowed by a confrontation?

To blame Martin is to ignore reality and uphold the twisted norms of the misguided subculture that allowed this type of environment to persist and -- dare we say -- thrive. It's also a willful refusal to connect the threat of violence to the reality of our gun-soaked, disrespect-me-and-pay-the-price ethos that has people like Aaron Hernandez sitting in jail.

Martin should be praised for walking away and letting the Dolphins sit amid the fetid steam of Incognito's behavior. Speaking of Martin, Bart Scott told Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco on ESPN New York, "Thank God he walked away. They've got to be thankful he didn't bring a gun to work."

...Of course, the aberrant behavior ascribed to Incognito is far more prevalent among men. In short, anywhere young men are put in charge of themselves, idiocy and bullying has the opportunity to flourish. It's why the military relies on young men to do the things that need to be done, and it's also why older men are put in charge of them.

The Dolphins' situation appears to be a systemic breakdown, with the older men at the top unable -- or unwilling -- to police the younger men below.

Either that or a small part of them thought Martin was getting what he deserved, that Incognito was simply taking care of business, making sure the culture gets what the culture demands.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9926888/miami-dolphins-kept-richie-incognito-control
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject:

Internet sleuths managed to deduce Richie's dad was ranting on a message board in defense of his son.

http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incognitos-dad-blasting-jonathan-martin-on-m-1457997230?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Scumbag seems to have fallen not too far from the tree.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject:

not a huge surprise that Richie did this. He was already trouble at Nebraska, bullied teammates, beat up teammates and oppositon and was eventually kicked off the team. He's a ticking time bomb that people have tried to help and yet the one he looks up to, his Dad, encourages and condones his son's behavior. I've seen this for nearly 10 years from him. He's a complete embarrassment. As a Nebraska fan, I say he's more embarrassing than LP and that's saying a lot right there.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject:

Incognito has long been one of the league's dirtiest players on the field. Figures that he'd b like it off the pitch too.

Hopefully he will be punished accordingly. One thing I like about Goodell is that he likes to lay the law down, so I expect a decent punishment if the proof is sufficient.

Hopefully for Martin, they release him and let him find a new team. SD would be cool for him IMO, the Bolts have a laid back and friendly locker room, and could use the OL help. Maybe getting a little ahead of myself here

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't like the characterization of this as "bullying" or "hazing." This goes far beyond. He made a death threat.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
He looks like a complete tool

that's because he is

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Was watching OTL today and the whole show was talking about how the Dolphins would welcome Incognito back mores than they want Martin back. Went on and on about what a great presence he is on the football field.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject:

This guy would be a criminal if not for the NFL. Too bad he couldn't stop acting like a criminal
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject:

So the new update is that coaches told Incognito to toughen Martin up. Obviously Incognito went too far if true. But what a (bleep) storm for Goddell.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
So the new update is that coaches told Incognito to toughen Martin up. Obviously Incognito went too far if true. But what a (bleep) storm for Goddell.

And yet, due to the power of ESPN and the NFL's brilliant marketing strategy, this will be soon forgotten. There's just too much money to be made surrounding the NFL. The public simply enjoys watching a bunch of men on all kinds of PEDs engage in violence and crush their skulls little by little. And yet somehow, the NBA is a "thug" league, despite NFL players being in the news almost daily due to arrests, illegal gun possession charges, even murders, etc.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

And yet, due to the power of ESPN and the NFL's brilliant marketing strategy, this will be soon forgotten. There's just too much money to be made surrounding the NFL. The public simply enjoys watching a bunch of men on all kinds of PEDs engage in violence and crush their skulls little by little. And yet somehow, the NBA is a "thug" league, despite NFL players being in the news almost daily due to arrests, illegal gun possession charges, even murders, etc.

I'm sure the league will claim ignorance and innocence, but the writing was on the wall when you look at this guy's track history. I am sure there is a lot more behind closed doors with this guy.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject:

This is nothing, he will go into "rehab" and come out fresh and new and this will all be forgotten...look around the league, there are much bigger indiscretions that have been done.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: