Florida cops laugh, high five each other after tasing and killing teen.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Florida cops laugh, high five each other after tasing and killing teen.

If you have the audacity to blatantly celebrate after killing someone, you must feel pretty comfortable about your outrageous behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N_s-9aLJdLU
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject:

I doubt they knew he was actually dead while they were allegedly celebrating. Doesn't make it right by any means, since it is at the very least blatantly unprofessional even if he had just been tased to unconsciousness. Just another example of why cops and security guys need to exercise extreme caution when opting to use "non lethal" methods of incapacitation: it should be a second to last resort, used only when clear its necessary, and not just to make the cop's life a little easier.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject:

The testimony if a bit biased, since we don't have any proof to verify what they saw, but what is described wouldn't surprise me.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject:

revgen wrote:
The testimony if a bit biased, since we don't have any proof to verify what they saw, but what is described wouldn't surprise me.

It may be bias but I would also take the cop's testimony that he resisted arrested with a grain of salt. That seems to be the justification for anything that goes wrong with an arrest. And it's been proven before some cops lie through their teeth when covering up a botched arrest.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject:

The officers involved should be evaluated. All wearing a badge are not mentally qualified.

How many were picked last in playground games or not at all? How many were bullied as children?

I don't have a formula to get it right but I do believe there is one better to weed than the one currently employed. Investigation to improve the hiring is definitely in order.

If there was a clear a present danger I would side with the officers, I don't see one.

Being a cop is a very, very, very tough vocation. The good outweigh the bad by a large margin but the bad get the press more often than the good.

Hopefully the department will investigate and make the right decision.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Florida again???
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Florida or Texas....pick one and go!!!!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:

Bush and Bush, any correlation? Who-da thought?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Ares24 wrote:

Bush and Bush, any correlation? Who-da thought?

Haha I actually never thought of that. Good catch lol
Not to mention Rick Perry
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The officers involved should be evaluated. All wearing a badge are not mentally qualified.

How many were picked last in playground games or not at all? How many were bullied as children?

I don't have a formula to get it right but I do believe there is one better to weed than the one currently employed. Investigation to improve the hiring is definitely in order.

If there was a clear a present danger I would side with the officers, I don't see one.

Being a cop is a very, very, very tough vocation. The good outweigh the bad by a large margin but the bad get the press more often than the good.

I wonder what possesses someone to become a cop. In a lot of cases these are likely psychologically maladjusted people who just need an outlet for their dysfunctional tendencies.

It's a job that, to an extent, allows you to get away with acts of aggression and violence. How many times do we hear a story about a cop killing a suspect who was presumed to be armed and dangerous, where the cop's life was not in danger? How many of those cops actually got punished for what they did?
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:

Our CA cops aren't any better. Kelly Thomas, the Dorner man hunt (shooting innocents), Fruitvale Station, Rodney King etc etc.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I wonder what possesses someone to become a cop. In a lot of cases these are likely psychologically maladjusted people who just need an outlet for their dysfunctional tendencies.

It's a job that, to an extent, allows you to get away with acts of aggression and violence. How many times do we hear a story about a cop killing a suspect who was presumed to be armed and dangerous, where the cop's life was not in danger? How many of those cops actually got punished for what they did?
My son is a cop. He's very well adjusted. One of, if not the, best father and family man in the world.

All police officers aren't villains. Just as most who hold positions of authority some abuse, some toe the line.

I think discipline should start top to bottom. In order for the lower echelon to improve, upper has to be more responsible.

It's easy to be a armchair quarterback.

My son stopped a driver gave him a citation. The driver left, returned and shot at him. He pulled his service revolver, emptied it and reloaded. I don't think he hit anything

My point is, all are not bad, don't judge the actions of a few to judge all.

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
slavavov wrote:
jodeke wrote:

My son is a cop. He's very well adjusted. One of, if not the, best father and family man in the world.

All police officers aren't villains. Just as most who hold positions of authority some abuse, some toe the line.

I think discipline should start top to bottom. In order for the lower echelon to improve, upper has to be more responsible.

My son stopped a driver gave him a citation. The driver left, returned and shot at him. He pulled his service revolver, emptied it and reloaded. I don't think he hit anything

Obviously there are plenty of good cops who keep the streets safe from violent criminals. But the bad cops out there pose as much a threat to society as the criminals they are supposed to go after. As Dr. King said, an injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

There needs to be more oversight, and checks and balances. At least here in LA there is some of that. In small towns and shady cities like Miami there is no one to really hold those bad/immoral cops in check.

EDIT: My bad on the typo. Thanks jodeke for catching that.

Last edited by slavavov on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject:

OshadowO wrote:
Ares24 wrote:

Our CA cops aren't any better. Kelly Thomas, the Dorner man hunt (shooting innocents), Fruitvale Station, Rodney King etc etc.

RAMPART!
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:

Well Florida has all the clubs...but they're gonna get flooded out in a few years and have a history of face eating.

Texas is Texas.

Tough.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, I think budget is part of the problem.

It's not that cops don't get paid enough. They get paid pretty well. They also have a great pension.

But part of the stress comes in knowing that they are small in number.

If there were three times as many cops, then every cop has a partner. There will be more around patrolling, and possibly seeing your actions, keeping you accountable.

There is also a little less stress. You're not alone. There will be enough others to assist fairly quickly.

When it comes to hiring local PD, they often are looking for people who are really tough in mind and body. And sometimes these people are also jerks. But if you have small numbers, these are the kind of people you need. Someone who depends on a team or partner might not be able to hack it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
jodeke wrote:
slavavov wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Obviously there are plenty of good cops who keep the streets safe from violent criminals. But the bad cops out there pose as much a threat to society as the criminals they are supposed to go after. As Dr. King said, an injustice anywhere is a threat to injustice everywhere.

There needs to be more oversight, and checks and balances. At least here in LA there is some of that. In small towns and shady cities like Miami there is no one to really hold those bad/immoral cops in check.

I'm sure you meant "An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

Consider, LAPD employs around 10,000 officers. Of those you hear of about, just to throw a number out, 200 abuses. Are there more unreported incidents, probably.

I go with and stand by "One Bad Apple Don't Spoil The Whole Bunch."

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good question considering that so many people do what you are doing and conflate the acts of a few to characterize the whole. I sure wouldn't want to be a cop when there are so many people willing to condemn me for what other cops did.

What do you do for a living? I'm sure there are people who do it that are screwed up. Would like like to be lumped in with them?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
slavavov wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good question considering that so many people do what you are doing and conflate the acts of a few to characterize the whole. I sure wouldn't want to be a cop when there are so many people willing to condemn me for what other cops did.

What do you do for a living? I'm sure there are people who do it that are screwed up. Would like like to be lumped in with them?

I agree with you when you say we can't characterize all cops by what a few bad ones did. The thing that concerns me is that plenty of times when cops commit acts of violence like this, or when they do profiling, they don't face any legal or job-related consequences from city or state government. In other professions the bad apples may only be guilty of something that constitutes a non-violent act. I happen to work in the legal defense field, so maybe that's why these incidents stand out to me. Too often so-called bad cops commit violent acts like this and many of us who believe in civil rights see it as a potential threat to public safety.
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
slavavov wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Hey man I hear ya. not all cops are bad. I am acquainted with one myself and he is a good guy from what I know, and my interactions with cops in general have been positive (traffic stops). The reason it's hard to respect them is because once the bad apples do something, the unions and the brass seem to join forces to protect their boys instead of doing the right thing and cleaning house. You just look at the examples in front of you and almost always it takes public outcry to get any form of real justice. How the hell are we supposed to respect people that represent that?
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject:

Exactly. If cops want to gain trust from people again, they need to clean house and own up to that (bleep).

Until then, they get what they deserve from the public.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject:

No surprise
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject:

It's sad the kid died, but this is so biased.

1. The kid committed was spraying graffiti,
2. He then failed to obey a police officer and even his friends said he ran away from the cops
3. They didn't shoot him with a pistol, they shot him with their taser so I doubt their intention was too kill.

I doubt they were giving high fives to celebrate the death of the tagger, they were probably giving high fives that they caught a guy that was committing vandalism and then ran from the police. I'm not taking his friends words for what happened. His friends seemed more disturbed by marijuana not being legalized in their state yet

What the heck do people want police to do, just let everyone who decides they want to commit and crime and run away to just watch? Sad loss for the kid and his family. It wouldn't have happened if he wasn't out spray painting and even after that it wouldn't have happened after he ran from the police. Stuff happens.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN Are you saying you don't believe the friend who said a cop laughed and asked did you how funny he look, how his butt clinched, when I tased him? I do, I've seen something similar.

There are officers who derive pleasure from hurting law breakers.

Some time ago I woke to the sound of helicopters and police activity out side my bay window. I went to the kitchen, a smaller window, to see what was going on. A police officer was coming across the street with a K9 in tow. He turned him loose, the dog located the person they were chasing between the hedges I had on the front lawn and my house.

The guy jumped out of the bushes and went into some kind of martial arts stance, the dog jumped him and had him down mangling him.

Instead of calling the dog off the officer stood there for around 20 30 seconds laughing. I heard him say "I love this ish."

There was an investigation. The next day the police came by asking neighbors what they saw. I told them what I saw, asked was it policy to allow dogs to continue an attack when he could have been called off? I was informed it was not policy.

Never heard anything more.

I won't go into details, I'll just ask. Do any remember Leonard Deadwyler and officer Jerold Bova? That's my first remembrance of Johnnie Cochran, he was the family lawyer. He got the wife a good settlement.

1) Spraying graffiti is no reason to kill a teenager.

2) He was cornered by multiple officers, was he a danger?

3) Police killed over 500 people with tasers last year. They're more lethal than many think.

IMO, this is one of the bad apples.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LVLAKERFAN Are you saying you don't believe the friend who said a cop laughed and asked did you see his (bleep) pucker when I tased him? I do, I've seen something similar.

There are officers who derive pleasure from hurting law breakers.

Some time ago I woke to the sound of helicopters and police activity out side my bay window. I went to the kitchen, a smaller window, to see what was going on. A police officer was coming across the street with a K9 in tow. He turned him loose, the dog located the person they were chasing between the hedges I had on the front lawn and my house.

The guy jumped out of the bushes and went into some kind of martial arts stance, the dog jumped him and had him down mangling him.

Instead of calling the dog off the officer stood there for around 20 30 seconds laughing. I heard him say "I love this ish."

There was an investigation. The next day the police came by asking neighbors what they saw. I told them what I saw, asked was it policy to allow dogs to continue an attack when he could have been called off? I was informed it was not policy.

Never heard anything more.

I won't go into details, I'll just ask. Do any remember Leonard Deadwyler and officer Jerold Bova? That's my first remembrance of Johnnie Cochran, he was the family lawyer. He got the wife a good settlement.

1) Spraying graffiti is no reason to kill a teenager.

2) He was cornered by multiple officers, was he a danger?

3) Police killed over 500 people with tasers last year. They're more lethal than many think.

IMO, this is one of the bad apples.

Do you really believe the cop intended to kill the kid using the taser? If you do, I won't respond anymore.

Every cop that I know has been tasered. None of them have died from it. Spraying graffiti is no reason to kill a teenager and that is why they didn't shoot him, they tasered him with the same taser that they taser themselves with. How many police officers have been tasered. How many of them have died? What's the percentage of people dying from a taser, I'm guessing pretty low compared to how many people don't die from the taser? How many of those 500 people were on drugs like PCP or how many of them had pre-existing heart problems, how many of them had pre-existing medical problems. If it's really that bad, ban it. Don't blame the cop for using what he was authorized to use. I don't believe that 500 people died from the taser last year. I'd need to see numbers to believe it.

There are almost 700000 police Officers in America. If only 50% have tasers, that brings us down to 300,000. If only half of those cops were tasered, that brings us down to 150,000 so we have a reasonable number to work with. If the death rate of the taser was less than 1 percent, you would have had 1500 dead Police Officers for every 150000 police officers that were tased.

I know there bad cops out there. I live near Detroit now and we have cops doing robberies out here. It's gotten that bad over here. This is not an instance where I think the cop was wrong. I've seen a lot of bad tase videos, but based on his friends account, it sounded like a good tase. I'd give a high five if I just caught a criminal. I don't believe that cops were celebrating the death, I believe they were celebrating catching the guy that ran away. That is if they really were high fiving and saying whatever they were saying. We've all seen people getting tasered youtube and they are hilarious.

Cop was doing his job. Unfortunate death.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: