Homeland Season 3 Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bodyrock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Homeland Season 3 Discussion

Saw episode 1 last night, the show picks up a couple of months after season 2 ended. Here are some spoilers:

-Peter kills a bunch of bad guys thought responsible for the attack, including an innocent kid.

-Dana Brody is in therapy after trying to kill herself (she looks grown up now)

-Congress is questioning Carrie and someone is leaking the Carrie and the CIA dirty laundry to congress.

-Saul teams up with Dar Adal and throws Carrie under the bus infront of Congress. Carrie vs. Saul

-Brody is a no show

Last edited by bodyrock on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject:

Huh? It started? (I didn't read past the first sentence as you went into the episode.)
KOBemaster
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Huh? It started? (I didn't read past the first sentence as you went into the episode.)

I believe it's just a rough cut of the first episode that has leaked out.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject:

This show is about to jump the shark soon.

If Showtime has any artistic integrity they will end the show this season. But hey it's all about money, so they'll drag this on for many more seasons.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject:

Just like Dexter, whether or not the direction/writing is good or bad... I'm still going to watch.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject:

dont spoil please!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

A very rough cut of Episode 1 leaked out. It contains on-screen notes from the editors, ADR lines that haven't been filled in by the actors, and effects not finished. I recommend waiting.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ribeye wrote:

A very rough cut of Episode 1 leaked out. It contains on-screen notes from the editors, ADR lines that haven't been filled in by the actors, and effects not finished. I recommend waiting.

I saw the bittorrent leak of the first episode of season 3 last week and it doesn't have any of that. It looks like a regular episode.
The only thing that sucks now is that you have to wait a month to watch episode 2.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject:

Watched Season 1 & 2 the other day and loved every minute of it. Hopefully they don't mess it up.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject:

So how's everyone liking season 3?

Dana is less annoying so that's good. But they still give her a lot air time.

I think writers were testing whether they can survive by killing off Brody. IMO it would be a gigantic waste. Without NB character the show was lacking. I read one of their writers talk about it as a success (them not using him first 2 episodes). While the shows were good, they were clearly lacking in my book, the standard that homeland has set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Most racist/bigoted show on television. I watched the first two seasons, but I'm done.
Andrew Evenstar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject:

seasons 1 and 2 were so good.

season 3 needs brody, it is pretty damn plain without him.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject:

Where's Brody????!!

I'm liking it so far, not loving it though. Dana storyline gets a lot of screen time and that's not good. Saul betraying Carrie was pretty epic. The show really needs Brody.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Most racist/bigoted show on television. I watched the first two seasons, but I'm done.

Maybe you could elaborate. I'm guessing this must have a Muslim angle but from what I saw, as a non-Muslim, was a thoughtful characterization of how US policies can have real life consequences on civilians, which in turn, furthers the circle of hatred. Also, it seems that the show paid great respect to Brody's (and now Dana's?) conversion to Islam.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Where's Brody????!!

I'm liking it so far, not loving it though. Dana storyline gets a lot of screen time and that's not good. Saul betraying Carrie was pretty epic. The show really needs Brody.

Haven't watched this past Sunday's episode but had that same thought after seeing the season opener. Depressed Dana and Bipolar Carrie and now Saul's "I've got to find myself." wife is back. What happened to Brody's buddy who was "taking care" of his hot wife Jessica while he was in captivity?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Where's Brody????!!

Could Claire Danes get any better? Carrie, on the precipice, fighting for what she knows is the truth against the conventional wisdom of authority is such a compelling theme when done with great writing and acting. I like that this is developing over several episodes, but some kind of conclusion, as to Brody's role in the bombing, is inevitable and will bring Brody back the mix, and then will come all of the tensions with Carrie, authority, and his family.

Last season the tension early in the season of an estranged Carrie was resolved too quickly (or maybe, it was saved for this season), but this tension, and now with Saul, WITH SAUL, tears at us as only good manipulative writing can.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Haven't watched this past Sunday's episode but had that same thought after seeing the season opener. Depressed Dana and Bipolar Carrie and now Saul's "I've got to find myself." wife is back. What happened to Brody's buddy who was "taking care" of his hot wife Jessica while he was in captivity?

Yeah wonder where is Uncle Mike. They did say that we wouldn't be seeing him much this season. Maybe scheduling problems or something. He seems to fit in the story line where the Brody household needs someone stable there. Well they added the grandma from Brody's side or Jessica's side I don't know but I guess she was brought to replace Mike.

ribeye wrote:

Could Claire Danes get any better? Carrie, on the precipice, fighting for what she knows is the truth against the conventional wisdom of authority is such a compelling theme when done with great writing and acting. I like that this is developing over several episodes, but some kind of conclusion, as to Brody's role in the bombing, is inevitable and will bring Brody back the mix, and then will come all of the tensions with Carrie, authority, and his family.

Last season the tension early in the season of an estranged Carrie was resolved too quickly (or maybe, it was saved for this season), but this tension, and now with Saul, WITH SAUL, tears at us as only good manipulative writing can.

Gotta agree with you. This season seems to be developing a lot slower than the others which is not necessarily bad. Carrie has been more than perfect in her role she's amazing and we all feel for her. I just don't like the Dana story line at all. Hopefully they tone it down a little as the season progresses and when Brody comes back. She has developed as an actress though.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
I just don't like the Dana story line at all. She has developed as an actress though.

I had problems with that last year and the first episode of this. It was too much--I kept saying, let's get back to the main storyline. But with the way the second episode ends, I can see some real possibilities--a young Brody in the making? Her confusion at such a vulnerable age and her love/hate for her father should be intriguing.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Wait what? Dana converted? I thought the aspect was to show her missing her father. I didn't think they were implying that she wanted to practice Islam. It's not like she was saying the words like her dad did in previous seasons.

Either way, interesting if they did that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Wait what? Dana converted? I thought the aspect was to show her missing her father. I didn't think they were implying that she wanted to practice Islam. It's not like she was saying the words like her dad did in previous seasons.

Either way, interesting if they did that.

SPOILERS BELOW

Yeah, she's just touching something that her father touched and valued, missing him, not converting. I was hating every seemingly useless scene with Dana, but it made gentle sense when she explained what Brody they believe really did to them all, and that they themselves are ok and not crazy. They do need to spend less time overall on her though, though her on the phone with Brody as he was about to blow himself up in the room was really moving.

I am enjoying it mostly but a couple of real stupid things to me. First episode had this BS 'The CIA could be shut down' suggestion. Right. Anyone believe that would happen? Second, if a bunch of guys come to get Carrie at a reporter's station, think the reporter or other reporters, or hell reporters at a different news org who saw Saul's testimony and got the buzz of Carrie going nuts at the restaurant, they wouldnt want to talk to that woman especially if she was swept away, crazy or not, the woman who slept with a bomber, is nuts, and was a CIA agent who just got publicly scapegoated?

Agree to a lesser (much) degree with previous poster that the show is or was somewhat antiMuslim. But Ive seen worse, and hear worse in real life from significant figures, so whaddya gonna do? Show had a potential Muslim heroine introduced last night. If she's actually a bad guy, lame. Stupid speech by Saul to her though, though emotions have to be high with the recent bombing.

Are they coming to a reason why Saul actually scapegoated Carrie, one that makes some sense? I feel like he has some ulterior plan because that seems a friendship ender.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Ted wrote:

Maybe you could elaborate. I'm guessing this must have a Muslim angle but from what I saw, as a non-Muslim, was a thoughtful characterization of how US policies can have real life consequences on civilians, which in turn, furthers the circle of hatred. Also, it seems that the show paid great respect to Brody's (and now Dana's?) conversion to Islam.

The show just plays up to the fears of Islam. Every brown skinned person in the show ends up being a terrorist, even if they're American and hold high positions (Roya Hammad), and the only "good" Muslim just happens to be white. The show is really good asides from all that but I just can't get over the overt racism. The show is based off an Israeli series, so it kind of makes sense. It's entertainment and it's a good show so it's whatever. I just don't really feel like watching anymore.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Ted wrote:

The show just plays up to the fears of Islam. Every brown skinned person in the show ends up being a terrorist, even if they're American and hold high positions (Roya Hammad), and the only "good" Muslim just happens to be white. The show is really good asides from all that but I just can't get over the overt racism. The show is based off an Israeli series, so it kind of makes sense. It's entertainment and it's a good show so it's whatever. I just don't really feel like watching anymore.

I haven't sensed this, and I think the show is careful not to be racist, but my sensitivity is likely different. Regardless, we now have a new CIA analysis who is Muslim, non-white, who, so far, is not a bad guy.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:

Agree to a lesser (much) degree with previous poster that the show is or was somewhat antiMuslim. But Ive seen worse, and hear worse in real life from significant figures,

The show is anti-terrorist. The terrorists are Muslims. There will be overlap.

Still, I think it shows a bit of the terrorist perspective, via Brody, that if pushed any further, would find the flag wavers screaming the show was anti-American and terrorist/Muslim loving.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
focus wrote:

Agree to a lesser (much) degree with previous poster that the show is or was somewhat antiMuslim. But Ive seen worse, and hear worse in real life from significant figures,

The show is anti-terrorist. The terrorists are Muslims. There will be overlap.

Still, I think it shows a bit of the terrorist perspective, via Brody, that if pushed any further, would find the flag wavers screaming the show was anti-American and terrorist/Muslim loving.

While I like your Koufax av, can you explain more what you're are saying in your second paragraph?

Hopefully those who run the show dont obsess too much about what screamers think. Especially those who think Muslims are synonymous with terrorists. And vice versa. Aside: nothing wrong with waving the flag, nor loving Muslims to me.

Also, any thoughts on my issues with this season so far?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I am liking Quinn this season, last year he was kind of jerk, but this season, he is cool...!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11
Jump to: