Homeland Season 3 Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Terrible finale to a terrible season.

Quinn is my favorite character now..QUINN!
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I think we all agree that the S/L were running out for Brody. Where the disagreement is - at least with me on 2 fronts

#1 You never resolved his story with his family. You showcased his family all of the first half of the season and all you get is 2 min with Dana/Brody? That whole first half of the season seems so stupid now

#2 There were ways in writing him off the show without killing him. It's been done. Not every bad guy who turned good who turned bad, has always died. I think bringing him back to the US would have been a huge mistake. Yes, agree. We'e all seen that. However was hanging him the best alternative? We'll see.

Frankly that scene with Carrie drawing the star, just cheesy. That's not HL. Personally I think the writers themselves were confused as to what to do. Wouldn't shock me if there were some strong disagreement as to where to go. Certainly it comes down to Alex Gansa. Didn't seem the writers had this season pegged out right.

As to your first point and conclusion, I suspect that with all of the negative comments (just look back a few pages herein) regarding Dana, that any type of conclusion with the family was abandoned. As such, since so much was dedicated to Dana, without a real reason why, leaves us unfulfilled. I had so hoped that with Dana's confusion regarding men and love/hate of her father, that she would become this paradoxical character as was her father.

As to the second point, I think that an escape could have been written in, beginning Season 4. Carrie, with Saul (who has taken exclusive possession of all the damming information against Javadi, and who pulls the strings from the outside with Sherazi, who gathered it) and Quinn, unbeknownst to the Director, methodically plan the escape. Of course, this is all the while Iran is plotting revenge for Brody's assignation of Akbari, and Carrie and gang are fighting this front as well.

After the escape, Brody would become this fugitive from both the Islamic world and the Western world, with both sides fighting against each other towards the same objective of his capture. Then, considering Carrie, the mother, and Carrie, the Station Chief, and Dana as some kind of confused and radicalized young American, this could be a worthy subplot for the latter part of Season 4.

Last edited by ribeye on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I think we all agree that the S/L were running out for Brody. Where the disagreement is - at least with me on 2 fronts

#1 You never resolved his story with his family. You showcased his family all of the first half of the season and all you get is 2 min with Dana/Brody? That whole first half of the season seems so stupid now

#2 There were ways in writing him off the show without killing him. It's been done. Not every bad guy who turned good who turned bad, has always died. I think bringing him back to the US would have been a huge mistake. Yes, agree. We'e all seen that. However was hanging him the best alternative? We'll see.

Frankly that scene with Carrie drawing the star, just cheesy. That's not HL. Personally I think the writers themselves were confused as to what to do. Wouldn't shock me if there were some strong disagreement as to where to go. Certainly it comes down to Alex Gansa. Didn't seem the writers had this season pegged out right.

it's all subjective. i read an article saying they felt brody's hanging scene was cheap, and lacked any real emotion. that it looked too fake and staged.

i felt i was there. it was an awesome scene. to each his own. i also liked carrie drawing the star.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

so how do they go a season 4 without Brody??? I don't see how they could keep this going... Love the show by the way! but was very disappointed with Brody's death.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
so how do they go a season 4 without Brody??? I don't see how they could keep this going... Love the show by the way! but was very disappointed with Brody's death.

The rumor is they will build the show around a totally different theme, new cast of characters and maybe do a lot of what the Wire did. Carrie will be back, obviously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

The rumor is they will build the show around a totally different theme, new cast of characters and maybe do a lot of what the Wire did. Carrie will be back, obviously.
probably build around killing terrorists.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

amen to that. the brody angle has become tiring. glad they decided to stopped beat on a dead horse.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

amen to that. the brody angle has become tiring. glad they decided to stopped beat on a dead horse.

This show could've ended on a high note after season 2. It would've been one of the best shows of the decade easily.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

This could work, but the brody angle itself wasn't the cause of the logic/lazy reasoning in the writing. Neither was Dana. I hope they get some better writing talent, or that the existing ones step up their game to the level of parts of the first season. Maybe a change in scenery, to Istanbul or wherever, injects the whole show with a recommitment to story.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:

i heard the writers for seasons 1 and 2 hardly wrote season 3. is this true?

if so, they need to get them back for season 4.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
i heard the writers for seasons 1 and 2 hardly wrote season 3. is this true?

if so, they need to get them back for season 4.

One of the main writers of Seasons 1 and 2 passed away, but most of the others continued to write episodes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:

Finished a binge watching of Season 3 last night. It was interesting to read through this thread after the fact. It certainly wasn't as great as the two prior seasons due to the obvious plot holes, it got a bit manipulative at times etc. but it was still a compelling show and I didn't mind suspending belief.

My thoughts -

Brody had to die at that point. The story demanded it really. There was nowhere for his journey to go. He was too tortured to be able to just complete his mission, redeem himself and come back and struggle as the misunderstood hero. It was actually a fitting ending for the character. He pulled off the mission despite the fact that he was so highly doubted. He came to a certain peace with what he had done. There was no interesting tale to tell about returning to a "normal" life. That had been covered to death already and the bridges had been burned. With Carrie pregnant, him surviving and become the Dad to their baby would just have been a bit silly and convenient.

The Dana stuff was a bit much for sure, and too much all at once. But the show is called "Homeland" for a reason - it's as much about the collateral damage of living a life of espionage and returning from the horrors of war as it is about the actual operations themselves. The show wouldn't be as good as it is without seeing the fallout in the personal lives. I can see how it would have been frustrating on a week to week basis, but watching in a "marathon" fashion, it wasn't intolerable.

Saul's rise and fall of his final days was much more interesting than seeing him take over and carry on successfully. He's not going anywhere, I expect to see him return to the fold in some fashion.

As much as people are saying that the show was about Brody and Carrie, I don't see it that way. The show was really about Carrie as the primary character in a story about the intricacies of working in that world of terrorist driven espionage. Brody was just the primary story vehicle for doing so - a way of showing the perspective of the hunted as well as the hunter.

Gordon and Gansa have certainly put themselves in a tough spot as far as making season 4 as compelling as the prior 3, but I have faith that they can navigate that. With the Javadi character entrenched, there's material there when it comes to exploring the intricacies of handling and being handled buy that kind of asset. It puts the storyline in Iran now, rather than the aftermath of the Iraq war. That's a much more timely story with what is going on in the world.

All in all I thought it was great, flaws and all. Though I'm glad I watched it over a matter lot days rather than over weeks. It definitely made it more interesting. I suspect I would have become frustrated in a drawn out viewing.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Anyone been watching the new season? It's back to being really good again. I wasn't expecting too much without Brody but giving Quinn a bigger role is exactly what they needed to do to fill the void.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

^Yeah. It's been good. So glad they killed off Brody. I know Carrie is supposed to be a flawed character, but her googly-eyed obsession with him was ruining the show for me. Also glad the baby is out of the story for now too. The first few episodes this season have taken the show back to its roots.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

I like the reboot. Show has a much leaner feel (Quinn's (bleep) buddy notwithstanding ), and that is good. Much more sustainable IMO, since they can move from one threat to another season by season.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject:

I've only watched the first three episodes. A bad season of Homeland is still better than just about anything else on the tube, and it's not too bad, but it still has some rough edges.

Carrie is now more flawed than ever--way more. So far, without Brody, and the other subplots of affection or romance or friendship from before, there is no humanity to it, which isn't a reach considering the subject matter, but it is so dark and bleak. Notwithstanding Carrie and Saul, which, even here, is far less than, say Mulder and Scully buddies, all the relationships are so stressed or damaged. There is not only not a single healthy soul, but not a single happy soul, in the mix--OK the world is a tough place but it is the humanity that so many bring to it that helps to make it tolerable.

It was paced well and the one scene, in and around the car, was just about Breaking Bad intense. On the other hand, the manipulation by Carrie to get her way was not totally convincing. But it looks to be another entertaining season altogether.

I've avoided specifics for those who have not watched any of season four. But beware, spoiler alert.

We know Obama considers this to be a favorite show. So, when we see a drone strike land in a wedding, first, I wonder what he must think and I wonder if they want him to wonder. Are they asking, just how many of these mistakes have occurred, and how many innocents have died and how many families wept as a result? I have enjoyed how the show does not take sides, but tries to show the horror of this war against violent jihadists and how it affects all, especially those just living their lives one moment and not the next.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject:

What an episode! Claire Danes was ridiculous good. I am in awe.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject:

It was an amazing episode. Seeing Brody again was awesome. I genuinely thought he was back for good for a second.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject:

Same here, I think the writers wanted the audience to really feel the confusion and emotions that Carrie was feeling and it worked. I was so hopeful that Brody might be alive but it would have just been too far fetched IMO.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Same here, I think the writers wanted the audience to really feel the confusion and emotions that Carrie was feeling and it worked. I was so hopeful that Brody might be alive but it would have just been too far fetched IMO.
the writers made you feel just as crazy as she did. i watched all of last season and the season before. but i have not watched much of this season(the wife has). when i heard carrie in the room saying"brody" i had to step in the room with the wife "wait.. is my boy brody back??" we were both like no way. no way.

That would've been something else if it were true. hey..the old soaps use to bring people back to life all the time why not this show. lol
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

If Brody had been back for real, they would have lost all the momentum they had recreated. Great fake though.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
If Brody had been back for real, they would have lost all the momentum they had recreated. Great fake though.

I agree. I was mostly sure she was hallucinating but there was a small part of me that was dreading they'd find a way to bring Brody back. That saga was played out and was dragging the show down trying to keep it alive. This season has been the best since Season 1.

I think Khan is one of the good guys who'll end up helping Carrie to root out the ones in ISI who are helping the Taliban.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Claire Danes is doing a Kobe for Homeland this season... it's almost like a one-person show right now.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Without a question, Claire Danes is doing great playing the crazy role. Her acting isn't the problem for me. It's her character. The 3 and a half seasons worth is wearing thin on me. At what point will the CIA, for the second time, realize she's more of a liability than an asset? I think there is and could be more to the show than crazy Carrie...more than her screwing her target, her asset, and contemplating drowning babies. They might as well rename the show, "Carrie's Land."
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

^

Yeah, suspension of disbelief is fine, but her character makes no sense at all anymore. She makes the entire organization look ridiculous. The CIA director shows up in Pakistan, she freaks out, and she just goes to her apartment and takes a nap. No one attempted to see what's up with her after a while? Previously, she decides to have sex with a kid for a couple days, and there's no way to contact her? She turns off her cellphone and she's suddenly unreachable? There's no way to contact a station chief in an emergency situation in a safe house? It takes some disgraced professor to discover that there's something seriously wrong with Carrie? ... The show is losing it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11
Jump to: