Feds easing off interference with States over Marijuana
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Feds easing off interference with States over Marijuana

The Obama administration announced Thursday a limited pullback on federal enforcement of marijuana, saying it will not interfere with new state laws that permit recreational use of marijuana.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-obama-administration-marijuana-legalization-20130829,0,5074054.story
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject:

Puff, puff, pass.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject:

Thanks Obama.

!...
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject:

(bleep) prop D has them all closing at 8pm now though
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject:

And, uh, a list of those states?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KOBemaster
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

Colorado and Washington are two. I think there's one more.
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Blaze it up!
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject:

This has always been a subject of interest for me, being a civil libertarian--note the word civil.

Here's a question for our thoughtful attorney's among the flock.

We had the 18th amendment. Why?

If the Federal government can simply use the commerce clause to enact federal legislation, why didn't they in 1919?

Our constitution required a constitutional amendment to abolish the sale of liquor, but only took a congressional vote to pass a Federal law, or series of laws, to criminalize marijuana--even to the point, under Reich, that someone with a valid (yeah I know) prescription, can't grow a single pot plant in California, as it interferes with some non-existent legal commerce.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject:

KOBemaster wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Those are the only two states that have passed laws for non-medical MJ use. I believe it was on the ballot in Oregon as well last year but was voted down.

There are a number of states that have medical MJ laws.

They are trying to push to get it on the California ballot next year. This ruling by the Federal government should help as many states are afraid of federal interference.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject:

By the time it is decriminalized in Calif, it will be so regulated and taxed, and controlled by the plutocracy or cartels, that we'll (you'll/they'll) wish it was illegal.

Then again, I've heard it is easy to grow . . .
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject:

How about doing something about that federal legislation? Or does the government enjoy the privileges that these laws allow them too much?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
By the time it is decriminalized in Calif, it will be so regulated and taxed, and controlled by the plutocracy or cartels, that we'll (you'll/they'll) wish it was illegal.

Then again, I've heard it is easy to grow . . .

I really don't know. Prop 19, which was defeated back in 2012, was a bit of a mess and even the growers opposed it. From what I've been reading, this new coalition pushing to get it on the ballot in 2014 has their support this time. I think California didn't want to be the first state and, like many states, feared Federal reprisal if the law passed. I honestly believe there needs to be some regulation for consumer safety reasons and taxation is pretty much a forgone conclusion. Without tax revenue from sales why would any non-smokers care?

I really don't worry too much about big corporation getting involved. I almost see it as another conclusion to keep with demand, but if Budweiser and micro-breweries can co-exist they can too.
KOBemaster
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
KOBemaster wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Those are the only two states that have passed laws for non-medical MJ use. I believe it was on the ballot in Oregon as well last year but was voted down.

There are a number of states that have medical MJ laws.

They are trying to push to get it on the California ballot next year. This ruling by the Federal government should help as many states are afraid of federal interference.

I know the governor of Colorado had an issue with the legalization. I have no doubt he thought the government would step in, but now he has to suck it up.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject:

KOBemaster wrote:

I know the governor of Colorado had an issue with the legalization. I have no doubt he thought the government would step in, but now he has to suck it up.

And rural Colorado now wants to divide the state in two.

Fine, just as long as California get more proportional representation in the Senate; hence more electoral votes.

But if this is just two more senators for 55 people crap, then, sorry, you shouldn't get California's vote for a new state.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I voted to legalize marijuana in Washington because I think it's the right thing to do, but I also felt somewhat uneasy about it because I don't believe in nullification. I hope the federal government repeals the federal law instead of just deciding not to enforce it. It probably won't happen anytime soon because there are too many people in Congress that believe in the gateway drug nonsense.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I voted to legalize marijuana in Washington because I think it's the right thing to do, but I also felt somewhat uneasy about it because I don't believe in nullification. I hope the federal government repeals the federal law instead of just deciding not to enforce it. It probably won't happen anytime soon because there are too many people in Congress that believe in the gateway drug nonsense.

They will die or retire then be replaced in my lifetime. Change takes time, fortunately I've plenty.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

PM me the address of the rock you live under and I'll mail you the list
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Wilt wrote:

They will die or retire then be replaced in my lifetime. Change takes time, fortunately I've plenty.

As long as the alcohol, logging, paper, and cotton industries have a say, this issue will be around for awhile.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

You really think that's why it stays illegal? Because they're true believers? It stays illegal because it benefits the government and certain special interests that grease their palms.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
It probably won't happen anytime soon because there are too many people in Congress that believe in the gateway drug nonsense.

so naive.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

You really think that's why it stays illegal? Because they're true believers? It stays illegal because it benefits the government and certain special interests that grease their palms.

That's one of the reasons. Lawmakers are corrupt, yes, but many of them are stupid, too. I seriously think they believe in that stuff because that's all they hear, whether it's from their constituents or special interests. The same people also seriously believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that life can be explained through intelligent design. Don't ever underestimate the stupidity of people in Congress, given that they reflect the people that elected them.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Lawmakers only make laws that favors them.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

That's one of the reasons. Lawmakers are corrupt, yes, but many of them are stupid, too. I seriously think they believe in that stuff because that's all they hear, whether it's from their constituents or special interests. The same people also seriously believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that life can be explained through intelligent design. Don't ever underestimate the stupidity of people in Congress, given that they reflect the people that elected them.

Some lawmakers are stupid, but I believe the majority of them support the laws because they are paid to do so by special interests.

In the 1930's, inventors invented a machine that could process hemp in the same way that the cotton gin manufactured cotton. Hemp, unlike cotton is pretty much a weed. You can grow it anywhere. You can grow it in tropical climates like Florida or cold climates like Montana or Canada. And unlike cotton, hemp can be utilized to make paper, clothing, and hemp based ethanol for cars similar to corn based ethanol but much more efficient to produce. Hemp doesn't require as much water or nutrients in the soil that cotton or corn do.

Industries lobbied congress in the 1930's to establish cannabis as a "dangerous drug" and even called it "Marihuana" to associate it with foreigners. They then went on to ban the growing of hemp just because it looked like "Marihuana".

The prime mover behind these special interests was William Randolph Hearst, who owned a newspaper empire in addition to investments in several logging interests. Because of his ownership stakes in the logging industry he was able to afford to print newspapers at a lower cost than his competitors. If paper manufactured from a cheap source like hemp took place, the cost of entry for starting a newspaper would be dramatically reduced. Ditto with a clothing business.

This issue is more than just a "gateway drug" theory. There is big money involved and many are in a position to lose. With the newspaper industry hurting due to the advent of the internet, many of the newspaper interests have begun to lose their grip. Ditto with logging interests thanks to environmental policy changes. The cigarette and alcohol industries still have power, but considerably less now than they did 60 years ago.

Strangely enough, the Obama administration didn't say a word about hemp growing in it's statement to the press. They only mentioned "recreational use" of cannabis. Hemp is where the "big money" interests are at play. The politicians are still trying to appease their cronies that keep them in power while appearing more "sensible" to the public over cannabis. They will eventually have to answer the "hemp question" at some point. When that happens, the proverbial "poop" will hit the fan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: