Man shot and killed by police when he ran towards them. Apparently he was in a car accident...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Man shot and killed by police when he ran towards them. Apparently he was in a car accident...

Man got in car accident and wrecks car. Went to nearest house for help. House owner paranoid, hit alarm, and called cops of potential hostile man. Cops show up, man runs towards them, cops shoot first, ask questions later.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/15/justice/north-carolina-police-shooting/index.html
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject:

In fairness to the PD involved, the cop in question is already charged with voluntary manslaughter.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
In fairness to the PD involved, the cop in question is already charged with voluntary manslaughter.

Then let's talk about the more than often mentality of using deadly force as a priority.

Last edited by dvdrdiscs on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject:

racist ass police
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how many years he was on the force...he has two other officers by his side and he just unloads his gun before waiting to see what, if anything, was about to occur? What shoddy training. I'm not going to go as far to call the officer sociopathic or bigoted, but this whole situation reeks of incompetence and poor training.

Late night, 3 officers, one charging male -- one officer fires a taser and the other shoots his gun. Very tragic and so easily avoidable.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Then let's talk about the more than often mentality of using deadly force as a priority.

That's certainly an issue in some cases. But in this instance of the 4 cops on scene, only one opened fire and he was quickly charged with a crime. So if we are going to condemn police forces when they get it wrong, it is important to note when they act decisively to make things right.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Oh man that effing sad. What a shame. It's one thing after another my goodness.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Oh man that effing sad. What a shame. It's one thing after another my goodness.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
racist ass police

Just. stop. posting.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

That's certainly an issue in some cases. But in this instance of the 4 cops on scene, only one opened fire and he was quickly charged with a crime. So if we are going to condemn police forces when they get it wrong, it is important to note when they act decisively to make things right.

Indeed. Just make sure you keep an eye on this, and make sure they don't, wink wink, blow the prosecution.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Depends on what your criteria for making it right is. For me, holding the officer accountable is step one. Step two is reassessing the department's policies and training to ensure cops aren't trigger happy.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Depends on what your criteria for making it right is. For me, holding the officer accountable is step one. Step two is reassessing the department's policies and training to ensure cops aren't trigger happy.

Considering that the only cop on scene who opened fire is now charged with a crime, it sounds like the department is trying to do just that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject:

A reason I never leave home wthout my cell phone.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Considering that the only cop on scene who opened fire is now charged with a crime, it sounds like the department is trying to do just that.

Not enough. A man is dead.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Gwyn wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

What else do you propose?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Charlotte PD did something that surprised me. They charged a police officer with a crime.

They didn't hesitate they acted immediately. I'd like to know just how far they will go.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject:

1) The cops said, "the guy 'charged' at us". Sounds kind of BS if you ask me. He's trying to wave you down and get close to talk with you?
2) One of the cops also decided to TASER him.

I think those were what was reported as other circumstances in the shooting.

So basically, big black guy comes towards you, and you shoot first, ask questions later eh?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Charlotte PD did something that surprised me. They charged a police officer with a crime.

They didn't hesitate they acted immediately. I'd like to know just how far they will go.

This. Positive sign. Deadly force should be a last resort, and officers need to be trained as such. Stuff like this and in the link below should not be happening.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57602998/times-square-shooting-nypd-officers-shoot-two-innocent-bystanders-near-times-square/
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject:

The victim first banged on the door of some lady's home apparently seeking help. She thought he was a burglar and called the cops on him. Sadly, her prejudice have probably played a role.

Many, if not most, LEOs are severely under trained not only in the use and safety of firearms but also when and where to apply deadly force in high stress situations resulting in low confidence, confusion, and itchy trigger fingers. It's the reason these types of news are almost an everyday occurrence.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Unfortunately, a charge of voluntary manslaughter may be the best it gets for a situation like this, but it doesn't seem equitable to me.

If there was a greater charge available, like 2nd degree or 3rd degree homicide, I would go after it. The guy shot the victim multiple times, and that wasn't with the intent to kill? Especially bearing in mind he was unarmed and there were FOUR police officers (three of which whom didn't bother to pull out their gun) against ONE man?

Given that voluntary manslaughter encompasses excessive force in self-defense, the question I would have is whether or not the officer in question really believed he had to defend himself. I wonder how far the victim was from them before he was shot. Seems completely reckless, not just excessive.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject:

If you're black or even have a dark complexion, just be really careful and make no sudden moves when around the cops.

And like jodeke said...always have your cellphone with you in case you need help.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject:

Deleted double post.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Unfortunately, a charge of voluntary manslaughter may be the best it gets for a situation like this, but it doesn't seem equitable to me.

If there was a greater charge available, like 2nd degree or 3rd degree homicide, I would go after it. The guy shot the victim multiple times, and that wasn't with the intent to kill? Especially bearing in mind he was unarmed and there were FOUR police officers (three of which whom didn't bother to pull out their gun) against ONE man?

Given that voluntary manslaughter encompasses excessive force in self-defense, the question I would have is whether or not the officer in question really believed he had to defend himself. I wonder how far the victim was from them before he was shot. Seems completely reckless, not just excessive.

Voluntary manslaughter penalties

I hope this doesn't turn into another George Zimmerman fiasco. If the right charges aren't filed, the prosecution could throw the case, Randall Kerrick may walk. It's N Carolina, I wouldn't be surprised.

ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject:

wait a minute.

What were the toxicology reports on the guy who was shot???

-Dude crashed his car off of a rural road at 2AM.

-Banging on a womans door scaring the crap out of her so much that she calls the cops.

-Runs at cops and gets tazered.

-Keeps running after he gets tazered in a way that compels a cop to gun him down.

Not saying the cop didn't overreacted but..... wtf was up with this dude???

I wouldn't be suprised if something more to the story pops up in a day or two, turning this case into another fiasco.
Statcat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject:

North Carolina...hmm, maybe they thought he was trying to vote.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: