OFFICIAL RYAN KELLY THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Looks just like how he was projected. A guy that can shoot, but practically all else is weak. Will be a liability on D, but can give a team a big spark as a shooter off the pine.

Something like a Cook or Radmanovic is likely best case scenario, IMO. And if he can be that good, it's a good pick for a 2nd rounder.

And that's how I feel about it too. Nothing dynamic.

Yeah. We talked about this after the draft, and the conclusion was that he might be a Matt Bonner/Scalabrine type of player. If he can have that niche role on the Lakers, this second round pick can be very valuable to the franchise. I liked what i saw from him, very composed for a rookie with so much injuries. He played well in the couple minutes he was on the court, but as with every single player on the team, its too early to tell what he can give us, not only this season but in the future.
lackor555
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
He didn't have a great game. He hit two threes and pulled down a couple of boards. The rest of the time, he was fumbling passes out of bounds, missing contested shots or taking fouls on Lee who he couldn't defend worth a lick.

"fumbling passes out of bounds" : 1 TO
"missing contested shots": 2/5 , 2/3 from 3 pt
"taking fouls on Lee": 2 fouls, how about Kaman and Gasol

youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I'd be open to a Meeks and Blake trade for Brandon Rush. Then keep DJO or sign some d-leaguer to be our 3rd string PG

I'll take Rush, and Meeks can go anytime, but this team had better keep Blake until we have a legit backup PG. DJO is not backup quality yet and isn't close.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
From CBS Sports.com Scouting report

At times, Kelly looked like the best player on a talented Duke team, with his ability to make shots from the perimeter and create matchup problems with his 6-foot-11 size. However, he suffered various foot injuries during his final couple of years at Duke, hurting it before the 2012 NCAA tournament ??? and then missing 13 games last year after reaggravating it. Kelly underwent surgery in April on his right foot, his second surgery in the last year or so. -- Jeff Borzello

After watching some highlight video Kelly is very good off the dribble to go along with his high percentage from distance, would love to see this guy get healthy, not a high flyer but he can play, very competitive and has a high B-Ball IQ, you cannot teach that.

My hope is that he can improve his rebouding, he wasn't a great college rebounder.

Various foot injuries . . . me no like . . .

If he didn't have the foot injuries we wouldn't have gotten him in the late second round.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject:

6'11, can shoot, young and has injuries keeping his expectations (salary) realistic in foreseeable future, at the END of the bench...

uhh ya, hold onto him.

if he ever gets enough playtime to be seriously criticized for decision making then blame the 30+mil in salary sitting in front of him.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject:

He looks great. He can shoot better than Meeks and dribble better than Meeks and he is a 4.
Jajwanda
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject:

The two things I'd like to see from Kelly is the defensive rebounding as well as the P and R speed. He'll struggle at some points one-on-one but if he can clean up the defensive glass and cut off the P and R as he did in college (the latter), he'll play.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject:

i had a funny feeling this guy would be money right out of the box if he ever got healthy enough to play. dang another guy that we need to sign.

you know what. throw meeks in the trash take the hit, give me kelly.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject:

He's a better ballhandler/passer than the Cook and Bonner comparisons imply.
malicious_intent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject:

40% from the field, 66% from 3....yup...great game. he looked very composed out there on both sides and I believe he will be a very good team defender. he has a chance to start!!! you heard it here first.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Ryan Kelly is either a poor man's Dirk Nowitzki or Troy Murphy w/ better ball handling skills.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Ryan Kelly is either a poor man's Dirk Nowitzki or Troy Murphy w/ better ball handling skills.

I ran into ryan kelly and told him he could be the next Dirk, that I saw how good a shooter he was and he pretty much laughed off the comment. He comes off as a shy guy.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
He's a better ballhandler/passer than the Cook and Bonner comparisons imply.

maybe, but his role is to stretch the floor and shoot. nobody will ask him to handle nor make great passes.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

I ran into ryan kelly and told him he could be the next Dirk, that I saw how good a shooter he was and he pretty much laughed off the comment. He comes off as a shy guy.

Cause he knows he aint that good. you gotta have realistic expectations from your second round picks, and even then most people on LG didn't like Lakers decision to draft him. Now he's Dirk and maybe a point forward. ok
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject:

I was one of the people who didn't like the Kelly choice, but I think the Lakers organization is collectively more intelligent than a lot of people realize, so I've taken a wait-and-see mindset towards Kelly. I'm impressed that he did what he did his first game out with minimal practice and rusty after injury-forced inactivity. Not just anyone can come out to the floor cold and knock down 3's without having to get into a rhythm first. To have that person be 7 ft tall and able to do so is a bonus. From what I can tell he's not a good one-on-one defender but does OK at team defense. Not sure if he's got the mobility for P&R defense just yet though. He did make a couple mistakes his last minute on the floor, but hopefully he gets over the jitters and settles in with more practice and some floor time. My biggest worry for Kelly is his foot, not the last-minute jitters his first game out.

I look forward to seeing how Kelly does over the next couple games. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd say Kelly's in and Landry's out. D-League activity might do him some good when our starters and second rotation are healthy, but so far I think he belongs on the roster.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
Brian Cook without the funky smirk every time he makes a shot.

hopefully also without the angry clap after every missed shot.

Hopefully without the miss after every shot either!

Bye.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I was one of the people who didn't like the Kelly choice, but I think the Lakers organization is collectively more intelligent than a lot of people realize, so I've taken a wait-and-see mindset towards Kelly. I'm impressed that he did what he did his first game out with minimal practice and rusty after injury-forced inactivity. Not just anyone can come out to the floor cold and knock down 3's without having to get into a rhythm first. To have that person be 7 ft tall and able to do so is a bonus. From what I can tell he's not a good one-on-one defender but does OK at team defense. Not sure if he's got the mobility for P&R defense just yet though. He did make a couple mistakes his last minute on the floor, but hopefully he gets over the jitters and settles in with more practice and some floor time. My biggest worry for Kelly is his foot, not the last-minute jitters his first game out.

I look forward to seeing how Kelly does over the next couple games. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd say Kelly's in and Landry's out. D-League activity might do him some good when our starters and second rotation are healthy, but so far I think he belongs on the roster.

Unfortunately we dont have the privilege of watching practice...gotta trust the coaches on this one. But i think that if he stays healthy he has a chance to make the roster. I would like to still keep Elias Harris though.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject:

I saw this thread after the game but I missed the original airing so I had to see the game to make a judgement. It's amazing to me that someone could criticize his first game (His first game!) for the last minute mistakes he made.

Give the kid a break. Let him get his feet under him in terms of his conditioning, learning his team mates and opposition, and figuring out how to maximize his skill set. I like him and I think he's a keeper.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Unfortunately we dont have the privilege of watching practice...gotta trust the coaches on this one. But i think that if he stays healthy he has a chance to make the roster. I would like to still keep Elias Harris though.

Agreed on Harris.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject:

The best thing about this dude? He's not just a practice player (cough sasha) where he hits shots during practice and craps during real games. This guy brings it during real games. He proved it at Duke, and I hope he proves it in L.A.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:

I don't think he will be as good a rebounder as Murphy, but I hope he is.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject:

A healthy Kelly would be a real asset, read the scouting report, the guy has major skills and foot problems. Drafting Kelly was not a mistake because second round picks are rarely very good. Kelly has a chance to be a very effective NBA player IF he can stay healthy. Kelly is worth the IF.....
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject:

malicious_intent wrote:
40% from the field, 66% from 3....yup...great game. he looked very composed out there on both sides and I believe he will be a very good team defender. he has a chance to start!!! you heard it here first.
dang so you were not the only one who saw this.
Born89FanIn95
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
He didn't have a great game. He hit two threes and pulled down a couple of boards. The rest of the time, he was fumbling passes out of bounds, missing contested shots or taking fouls on Lee who he couldn't defend worth a lick.

Really? Really? That ignorant? Lee torched Pau and Kaman and you expected Kelly to shut him down?

You ain't about dis life.

Stop being a fanboi...this thread isn't about Pau or Kaveman. It's about Kelly....who you admit couldn't guard Lee.

WHAT???

You expect Kelly to guard Lee, a rookie, when Pau and Kaman got torched for 22pts in the first half and then you have the nerve to tell me the thread is about Kelly? Are you kidding me?

Yes, let's all set Kelly ablaze because he couldn't stop the guy who was on fire and torched the starting big men. Burn infidel!

Both of you, cut it out!

whats wrong about you aint about this life? lol just wondering
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject:

Born89FanIn95 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

Really? Really? That ignorant? Lee torched Pau and Kaman and you expected Kelly to shut him down?

You ain't about dis life.

Stop being a fanboi...this thread isn't about Pau or Kaveman. It's about Kelly....who you admit couldn't guard Lee.

WHAT???

You expect Kelly to guard Lee, a rookie, when Pau and Kaman got torched for 22pts in the first half and then you have the nerve to tell me the thread is about Kelly? Are you kidding me?

Yes, let's all set Kelly ablaze because he couldn't stop the guy who was on fire and torched the starting big men. Burn infidel!

Both of you, cut it out!

whats wrong about you aint about this life? lol just wondering

The funny part is that I wasn't being offensive. "You ain't about dis life" is just a tease and the "Burn infidel" was refering to Kelly, not krey28.

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18
Jump to: