THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Problem with Bernie is his biggest support comes from college students, whom are probably the most unreliable voting block there is. Also he doesn't have support of the establishment Democrats, so he won't even win the Democratic nomination.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Problem with Bernie is his biggest support comes from college students, whom are probably the most unreliable voting block there is. Also he doesn't have support of the establishment Democrats, so he won't even win the Democratic nomination.

His support runs much deeper than that. The majority of my friends and family who are left leaning are Bernie people. Thus his shot at getting the nomination is probably better than some think. Which is a bit of a concern for the reasons 24 laid out.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Barring something damaging/truly scandalous coming out about Hillary (and despite anything the GOP says otherwise, nothing damaging has come out so far), she practically has the nomination locked up. The only remaining intrigue for Democrats is the question of which person Hillary will choose as her running mate.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Bernie would have a better chance if Obama hadn't already taught Hillary most of her mistakes re getting the nomination.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Bernie would have a better chance if Obama hadn't already taught Hillary most of her mistakes re getting the nomination.

I also don't think his age helps. Among other things. With this reality show electorate, I believe that appearance/looks/relative youth/communication skills matter greatly. Bill Clinton had that in two elections. George W. Bush had that over Gore (OK, that was essentially a 50/50 election, but work with me here) and certainly over Kerry. Obama had it over Hillary Clinton and then McCain and Romney (who actually checked most of the boxes but was much older than Obama). And I'll continue to say, Rubio has those qualities over any GOP candidate and would also seem to have them over Hillary. I truly believe this election could go either way as we are a year away.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

My take would be that the idea that Hillary is a done deal is Democratic bias, and that Rubio is anything more than a pretty significant underdog to her in a general is bias the other way. Rubio isn't even standing out in his own caucus, and in attempting to has boxed himself in ideologically to the point that he's going to have serious issues in the general. Hillary has general issues too, but they are widely known and not as deep outside of the right side of the aisle.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
My take would be that the idea that Hillary is a done deal is Democratic bias, and that Rubio is anything more than a pretty significant underdog to her in a general is bias the other way. Rubio isn't even standing out in his own caucus, and in attempting to has boxed himself in ideologically to the point that he's going to have serious issues in the general. Hillary has general issues too, but they are widely known and not as deep outside of the right side of the aisle.

I simply don't believe that Trump and Carson have long-term staying power. Ted Cruz is much further to the right of Rubio. The GOP has to know that this country isn't electing George W. Bush's brother after his presidency. Rubio is the logical choice and the establishment will steer it that way. Nate Silver's excellent fivethirtyeight site thinks it's a 50/50 toss-up as to which party will win. I would be placing some bets on Rubio if I could, since he's still much lower to win the presidency odds-wise at the moment, just given that he has a harder road to actually win his party's nomination. But I absolutely believe that he will and that getting shares of him at his current odds is smart gambling!
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

best Sanders cartoon yet

Link
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Trump said wont rule out Muslims require to wear special identification if he gets elected. Wow. The Nazis did that.

Seriously Trump and Carson are both front runner nut jobs. This is what the republican voters want?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
Trump said wont rule out Muslims require to wear special identification if he gets elected. Wow. The Nazis did that.

Seriously Trump and Carson are both front runner nut jobs. This is what the republican voters want?

In a word, yes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:

BINGO!
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:

I'm still holding out hope that this is just a phase that people are going through. I'm not sure that most of his supporters could really tell you anything about Trump's positions on anything. They just like that he appears pissed off a lot.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Trump's scary. If he's taken lightly it could be disastrous. Thank ... for a checks and balance form of government. Then again there was GWB.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Remote chance or not. The fact that Trump is even a possibility is laughable. if elected we deserve it.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Remote chance or not. The fact that Trump is even a possibility is laughable. if elected we deserve it.

It is alarming. It shows how bad our political system is.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Halflife wrote:

It is alarming. It shows how bad our political system is.

It's not the system it's the people. It's really in our power to make change. The constitution is the tool the vote the instrument.

Lack of following politics is a problem of which I admit to being a part. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to keep up with everyday political happenings, it takes a want to.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Donald Trump has jumped so many sharks that no one even bothers to point them out any longer, not even the media.

- Urges crowd to go ahead and beat up black lives matter protester because he deserved it.
- Let's go ahead and start waterboarding people, again. Great idea!
- If only Jews had guns they might have stopped the Holocaust and prevented their own deaths.
- If he were president he'd wipe out ISIS immediately because apparently he is muy macho and has some plan no one else has thought of.
- He saw thousands of people in New Jersey (who he implies are Arab) cheer as the WTC came down (except no one else saw it, there's no record of it, it's not on tape, was not reported on, but since it's a right-wing internet meme it must be true!) When reporters question him about it, he gets surly and insulting.
- Let's have a national religious database, but only for muslims.

And that's just in the last WEEK. People need to condemn this stuff publicly whether you believe he has a shot at the presidency or not. This stuff is just flat out wrong, bad and against everything that America should stand for. And the people that eat this stuff up should be called out too. So this is me, calling him and his supporters out.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Donald Trump has jumped so many sharks that no one even bothers to point them out any longer, not even the media.

- Urges crowd to go ahead and beat up black lives matter protester because he deserved it.

That was a shocking low point for the American presidential campaign process - even in these disgusting times when it comes to the Republican Party.

I mean seriously. That's jack booted thugs territory. A leading candidate for the Republican party espousing a vindictive and physical assault on someone merely exercising their 1st Amendment rights . . . and those on the Right claim to be about The Constitution.

Quote:
- Let's go ahead and start waterboarding people, again. Great idea!
- If only Jews had guns they might have stopped the Holocaust and prevented their own deaths.
- If he were president he'd wipe out ISIS immediately because apparently he is muy macho and has some plan no one else has thought of.
- He saw thousands of people in New Jersey (who he implies are Arab) cheer as the WTC came down (except no one else saw it, there's no record of it, it's not on tape, was not reported on, but since it's a right-wing internet meme it must be true!) When reporters question him about it, he gets surly and insulting.
- Let's have a national religious database, but only for muslims.

If I wasn't actually watching it all happen, I wouldn't believe it. The truly odd part is that while this is all happening, there are people on the Right who think they should be taken seriously despite the madness

Quote:
And that's just in the last WEEK. People need to condemn this stuff publicly whether you believe he has a shot at the presidency or not. This stuff is just flat out wrong, bad and against everything that America should stand for. And the people that eat this stuff up should be called out too. So this is me, calling him and his supporters out.

Yeah, there's a perverse silence from the Right. If you don't take a stand against this nonsense, you are completely complicit with it. This isn't just basic political banter. This fascism in the making.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I keep wondering if Trump is secretly trying to torpedo his own campaign, but people just aren't paying attention.

I swear that when I speak to people that say they'd vote for Trump, 75% of the time they don't know anything he's said. They probably aren't even following the process.

My hope is that these supporters of his are the type that are buying into a fad, but won't actually show up on primary day.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I keep wondering if Trump is secretly trying to torpedo his own campaign, but people just aren't paying attention.

I really don't think he is that calculating. It's not he's the type who needs to find a way to sabotage himself. He's totally the type who would just say, "You know what? I'm done with you idiots. You're not worthy of having me as your President" and walking away. I don't see what the motivation would be in his sabotaging himself. There's no need for it.

Quote:
I swear that when I speak to people that say they'd vote for Trump, 75% of the time they don't know anything he's said. They probably aren't even following the process.

As his rallies indicate, there are a great deal of people who ARE following him and eating it up. But that's not really what is troubling. What is troubling is the complete silence of the majority of those in the Republican party to call him on his BS and combat it.

Quote:
My hope is that these supporters of his are the type that are buying into a fad, but won't actually show up on primary day.

Unfortunately (and I hope I am wrong) I think the people that are buying into his BS are just the type to show up at the polls BECAUSE it's a fad. It's all those people who are saying, "I like Trump because he's not a politician and that's what we need right now" that are going to show up - just like what happened in Arizona or where ever it was recently.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Some of these comments that Trump and Ben Carson made are indicitive of how the GOP has operated for decades, Ever since Barry Goldwater, they have been getting their people elected based on inciting people, playing on people's imaginary fears of people and things they are ignorant about, and using catchy buzz words and phrases. The average American is simply not educated or informed enough about politics or world affairs to see through their gameplan.

I'm a liberal Democrat, but most others in my family are conservative Republicans. They sometimes say they're fed up with the antics and extremist policies of people like Bush, but at the same time when they express their own views they repeat some of the same stuff that the very people they criticize have been saying. I feel like many Republicans are like this - they get fed up with certain incumbents, but they are easily seduced by the new flavor of the month in their party.

As someone who believes in loving and embracing all human beings as well as mother Earth, it is almost horrifying to hear these xenophobic, racist comments from some of these people who identify as Republicans.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Trump is the Republican id. Pure and simple. And there are a large number of people who like the idea of what he's saying, and like that through him, they can revel in it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Trump is the Republican id. Pure and simple. And there are a large number of people who like the idea of what he's saying, and like that through him, they can revel in it.

I disagree, I think he's saying absurd things to keep himself in the headlines....Look at all the other candidates that have had their week in the sun and then were gone from the headlines. Carly Fiorina and Ben Carson had brief forays and supposedly now Ted Cruz is the newest challenger. Its free publicity for Trump and he doesn't have to spend a dime in advertising. When you watch the 24 Hour news cycle, its Trump this Trump that....I mean he is doing whatever to keep the other candidates out of the news. If you don't know a candidate you aren't going to vote for them pure and simple. Look at most of the other candidates that have dropped out so far. They were practically invisible from the national headlines. Whats hilarious is the news channels all follow Trump for his next take. Yes, it gets them ratings and headlines that the other candidates can't provide. Trump figured out how to play the game, its probably from all those years on reality TV and speaking out in the public. The media will follow you line for line and wait for you to slip up, wait for you to apologize and then move onto something else. They lose interest after you back down. But Trump doesn't back down. He doubles down. He keeps saying absurd things that don't make sense. But the media keeps coming back for more. Its genius really and I bet the other candidates still can't make sense of it. So in essence he is trolling the entire election cycle and if he is the last man standing at the end of the day it works out for him.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject:

The media has been a disgrace in all of this. I don't expect other Republican candidates to take on Trump aggressively, mostly because they need his voters in the general election. Sure, there have been some attempts by Bush, Kasich, and previously by Perry and Jindal to attack Trump, but none of them have been effective and consistent in their attacks.

What bothers me a lot more is when someone like George Stephanopoulos, who recently signed a contract extension worth $105 million, when confronted by Trump and his lies about thousands of Arabs celebrating in Jersey City after 9/11, can only come up with "the police say it didn't happen" instead of saying "Mr. Trump, you're a liar, you know what you said is not true, you've disgraced our country with your rhetoric during this presidential campaign, and I will no longer invite you to my show." But no, George moves on the next topic. Because he knows Trump creates big ratings and the most important thing is to maintain access to Trump.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:

First Trump wants to throw Muslims in concentration camps, now he's making fun of a New York Times reporter's disability? Didn't Hitler send handicapped people to death camps along with Jews? Just sayin'.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 245 of 888
Jump to: