THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 483, 484, 485 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
On a side note, I saw a documentary yesterday called WEINER, which is the story of Anthony Weiner's 2013 mayoral race. The access the filmmakers had is incredible. It's fantastic and I highly recommend it. Here's the trailer:

I definitely want to see it.

And of course, Weiner's wife, Huma Abedin, remains married to him, which is impressive if not amazing.

She's also (as you obviously know) one of Hillary's top aides.

She is featured heavily in the movie. That she remains drawn to him is fascinating, especially in the private moments in which the scandal hits again. The two of them have entire conversations without saying a word. The cameras are there for it. Great stuff.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
OK. We can now finally put Email-Gate to rest. Hillary Clinton has now officially been shown to have done something careless, inappropriate, and stupid, but clearly not criminal. As I noted last summer, her actions made it impossible for the Department to be in compliance with the Federal Records Act,and negligently prevented citizens of the United States from being able to make legal Federal Records requests in a reliable manner - but there is no evidence of any criminal wrongdoing whatsoever. Basically grandma didn't have an appropriate understanding of 21st century tech common sense. I don't think she's alone amongst grandma's in that regard. Just make sure someone clearly explains how "The Button" operates and we should all be good...

Quote:
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her senior aides did not comply with the State Department’s record-keeping policies, an internal watchdog determined in a report sent to Capitol Hill on Wednesday.

By exclusively using a personal email address routed through a private server, Clinton circumvented policies designed to follow federal records laws and might have jeopardized official secrets, the department’s Office of the Inspector General said in a report obtained by The Hill ahead of its official publication on Thursday.

Clinton never requested permission to use the personal server, which was located at her New York home, and it “would not” have been approved, in part, because of “the security risks in doing so,” the watchdog agency wrote.

Additionally, Clinton “never demonstrated” to State Department security officials that her personal server or BlackBerry device “met minimum information security requirements.”

And Clinton’s decision not to use an official email department email address “is not an appropriate method” of preserving emails under the Federal Records Act, the inspector general said in the hotly anticipated 83-page report.

“Therefore, Secretary Clinton should have preserved any federal records she created and received on her personal account by printing and filing those records with the related files in the Office of the Secretary,” it said. “At a minimum, Secretary Clinton should have surrendered all emails dealing with Department business before leaving government service and, because she did not do so, she did not comply with the department’s policies that were implemented in accordance with the Federal Records Act."

The conclusion is damning for Clinton, the likely Democratic presidential nominee, who has faced persistent criticism on multiple fronts for her use of the private server.

Clinton Not Guilty of Criminal Wrongdoing - Just Stupid

Quote:
The State Department has been plagued with “longstanding, systemic weaknesses” for preserving federal records “that go well beyond the tenure of any one secretary of State,” the report noted. Dozens of State Department officials were found to have used personal email accounts for official business.

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who also used a personal email account while in office, was also faulted for not handing over emails when he left office.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

It's official. 71% of Americans who obtained their policies through Obamacare are satisfied with their policies. 84% say their coverage is either the same as it was, or has improved. 7% say their coverage has gotten worse.

Quote:
Nearly three-quarters of adults who received health insurance through ObamaCare say they are satisfied with their plans, according to a new survey.

Overall, 71 percent of people who have plans through the ObamaCare marketplace or Medicaid said their healthcare plans were good, very good or excellent, according to data released Wednesday by the nonprofit Commonwealth Fund.

The high satisfaction among plans comes after many experts warned that ObamaCare customers could have a tougher time finding doctors in their area without wait times.

Out of those who enrolled in insurance under ObamaCare, 39 percent said their coverage has improved, and another 45 percent said their coverage stayed the same.

Just 7 percent of people who enrolled in insurance from ObamaCare said their coverage has gotten worse – a striking statistic considering that recent national polls have showed that nearly half of all Americans oppose the healthcare law.

Critics have warned that insurers will be more likely to shrink their networks because of the ObamaCare limits on cost-sharing and the focus on second-lowest-cost silver plans as the benchmark for setting subsidies.

In addition, Medicaid patients – whose rolls increased dramatically under the law – have long faced trouble finding doctors because of the program’s historically low reimbursement rates.

Three years into ObamaCare’s plans, most new customers had the same experiences as those in the overall marketplace in finding doctors and getting appointments.

Obamacare For the Win
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

I've always been a huge supporter of Obamacare. Unfortunately, I fall in the 7%. My premiums went up, my coverage went down (higher deductibles, higher co-pays, out-of-network penalties, etc.) And I have a top-tier, excellent plan. I'm just glad I'm doing okay, can afford it and am healthy. Hopefully we'll move toward a "Public Option" or a buy-in to "Medicare for all" and maybe someday after I'm long gone, we'll have true Universal coverage. But I know the one thing that won't work is repealing Obamacare -- which is what every Republican politician, including Trump, wants to do.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I've always been a huge supporter of Obamacare. Unfortunately, I fall in the 7%. My premiums went up, my coverage went down (higher deductibles, higher co-pays, out-of-network penalties, etc.) And I have a top-tier, excellent plan. I'm just glad I'm doing okay, can afford it and am healthy. Hopefully we'll move toward a "Public Option" or a buy-in to "Medicare for all" and maybe someday after I'm long gone, we'll have true Universal coverage. But I know the one thing that won't work is repealing Obamacare -- which is what every Republican politician, including Trump, wants to do.

The even worse news for those in your position is that Insurers are readying to drop plans like yours all-together, so your coverage is likely to decrease even more next year as you'll have little choice but to accept a lesser plan. Even with the premium increases, insurers still haven't been able to make enough money off you with these "Gold" plans, so their ditching em for the higher profitability "Silver" plans. While Obamacare has stemmed the tide of the overall costs increases - it still suffers from operating in a for profit insurance based model.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

What if: Our Government revolutionized the whole Human Health Industrial Complex and treated it like the military
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
What if: Our Government revolutionized the whole Human Health Industrial Complex and treated it like the military

Oh gawd no. Then we'd be spending billions on depression medication for extinct flying squirrels - and countless other boondoggles that congressmen would dream up to drive federal dollars into their districts.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Elizabeth Warren: Donald Trump can NEVER be the President
Published on May 24, 2016
Quote:
Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren spoke at the Center for Popular Democracy's annual gala on May 24, 2016. She discussed Donald Trump rooting for the 2008 housing market crash, his plans to dismantle Dodd-Frank Wall Street reform, and his decision not to release his taxes.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

Oh gawd no. Then we'd be spending billions on depression medication for extinct flying squirrels - and countless other boondoggles that congressmen would dream up to drive federal dollars into their districts.

Right, and the correct model is already in place: Medicare. If you had everyone on Medicare, health care costs would plummet. Sure, taxes would rise to replace premiums, but Medicare has enormous cost efficiencies over even the best for profit systems in terms of administration. And the buying power would resolve pricing to much more acceptable norms similar to the rest of the industrialized world. And no, innovation wouldn't cease, because funded researchers research no matter whose name is on the check.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

The biggest two psychological hurdles to medicare for all are:

The resistance to taxes and government involvement, no matter what the economics or other metrics.

The fact that most people would pay more in taxes than they do in premiums, because while cost would plummet, it would be on the back end. When you pay premiums now, you pay for some basic services and the right to use other services at an additional, partially pre-subsidized cost to you. The premium only covers part of the cost. In a medicare for all model, the premium (tax) would cover the entire cost, so if you didn't use it you'd pay more, but if you needed any significant care you'd pay less, since it is already paid for. And that's a problem for most people, who budget cost on the up front bill, not the total cost, and not the aggregate for all.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

The resistance to taxes and government involvement, no matter what the economics or other metrics.

The fact that most people would pay more in taxes than they do in premiums, because while cost would plummet, it would be on the back end. When you pay premiums now, you pay for some basic services and the right to use other services at an additional, partially pre-subsidized cost to you. The premium only covers part of the cost. In a medicare for all model, the premium (tax) would cover the entire cost, so if you didn't use it you'd pay more, but if you needed any significant care you'd pay less, since it is already paid for. And that's a problem for most people, who budget cost on the up front bill, not the total cost, and not the aggregate for all.

It is the entitlement factor of all those people who paid so much to become doctors or have business degrees

Our society is built by and for the 1%
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

It is the entitlement factor of all those people who paid so much to become doctors or have business degrees

Doctors don't account for that much of your medical bill, but yeah keep perpetuating that myth. 16% was the highest figure quoted. Yeah that's definitely the reason your healthcare costs are rising . . .
http://www.jacksonhealthcare.com/media-room/news/md-salaries-as-percent-of-costs/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/07/02/doctors-salaries-health-care-costs-physician-column/12113999/

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/advocacy/topics/spending-health-care.page

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/ama-wire/post/physicians-slowing-health-care-costs
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:

It is the entitlement factor of all those people who paid so much to become doctors

Nope. Definitely not.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Keep telling yourself that.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Doctors don't account for that much of your medical bill, but yeah keep perpetuating that myth. 16% was the highest figure quoted. Yeah that's definitely the reason your healthcare costs are rising . . .
http://www.jacksonhealthcare.com/media-room/news/md-salaries-as-percent-of-costs/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/07/02/doctors-salaries-health-care-costs-physician-column/12113999/

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/advocacy/topics/spending-health-care.page

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/ama-wire/post/physicians-slowing-health-care-costs

My father-in-law had an emergency appendectomy. I paid the doctor directly.

$1500. That's full price cash.

The hospital bill not counting the doctor?

$30,000
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

If it was a 3% tax, a person making $80,000 a year would pay $2,400 a year in the medicare tax or about $200 per month. Nobody is getting insurance coverage that cheap. Then if you get sick, you have to pay another $6950. It seems like it would cost less for most people. Not to mention how much businesses would save who no longer have to pay for plans, whose premiums have doubled in the last few years.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

So apparently #BernieTrumpDebate is happening. I don't know whether to laugh, cry, buy extra popcorn or move to Canada.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
So apparently #BernieTrumpDebate is happening. I don't know whether to laugh, cry, buy extra popcorn or move to Canada.

Laugh at how much of a slap in the face it is to Hilary.

Last edited by Fan0Bynum17 on Thu May 26, 2016 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

Now Trump says he was just "joking" when he accepted invitation...
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Wanting no part of two old paternalistic white guys yelling at each other on TV for 2 hours and being as un-presidential as can be? Yeah, that's a real slap in the face. Just not to Hillary.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Wanting no part of two old paternalistic white guys yelling at each other on TV for 2 hours and being as un-presidential as can be? Yeah, that's a real slap in the face. Just not to Hillary.

Quote:
“Honestly, I just believe this is the most important job in the world. It’s the toughest job in the world. You should be willing to campaign for every vote. You should be willing to debate anytime, anywhere. “
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
“Honestly, I just believe this is the most important job in the world. It’s the toughest job in the world. You should be willing to campaign for every vote. You should be willing to debate anytime, anywhere. “

She already debated Bernie. He lost. When it's official, she'll debate Trump. What's going on now is just a clownish side show -- if it happens.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

She already debated Bernie. He lost. When it's official, she'll debate Trump. What's going on now is just a clownish side show -- if it happens.

Just like it was clownish when she was staying in, and said that above in 2008 "in case Obama got RFK'd"?

Bernie is still campaigning not because he thinks he can win, but because he wants to influence the platform. Didn't you notice all of a sudden guys like Harry Reid are telling people to "be nice to Bernie and his voters" just a week after dismissing him? There's a reason for that. They've seen the numbers somewhere.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sanders fundraising for Russ Feingold

Bernie Sanders wants Russ Feingold back in the Senate with him and is fundraising on behalf of the Wisconsin Democrat in his bid to unseat incumbent Republican Ron Johnson, his campaign announced Thursday.

“We are going to have to elect candidates up and down the ballot who recognize that it is too late for establishment politics and economics,” Sanders wrote. “Candidates like my friend, former U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold. Russ led the fight with me to make the Affordable Care Act much stronger in 2009. He voted against the USA PATRIOT Act and the war in Iraq. He authored and passed landmark campaign finance reform legislation and his campaign is powered by small-dollar contributions like ours.”

Sanders has also sent out fundraising appeals on behalf of congressional candidates in Nevada, New York and Washington, and in Florida to Tim Canova, the primary challenger to Democratic National Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, with whom the Sanders campaign has quarreled over various issues throughout the cycle. On Tuesday, Sanders issued a similar call for candidates running in state races.

“Bernie has always said this movement is about something bigger than him,” Sanders’ campaign manager, Jeff Weaver, said in a statement. “Electing more candidates like Russ Feingold means progressives in the Senate can ensure the debates in Washington put working families ahead of corporate profits.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/bernie-sanders-russ-feingold-223603

B...bbu...buut Bernie doesn't campaign for down-ticket Democrats!

Russ is the exact type of guy I'd like to see back in the Senate. Seriously - his voting record and stance on issues is amazing. The only senator (98-1) to vote against the PATRIOT Act...
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

$1500. That's full price cash.

The hospital bill not counting the doctor?

$30,000

That hospital bill is directly due to the "Fop Profit" model. What's worse, is you can goto the same hospital 30 days a part and see the same doctor, yet the "Hospital" portion of your bill can be wildly different and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the healthcare you're being provided. The month before, the hospital portion of your bill could have been $20,000, and the following month it could have been $40,000.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 483, 484, 485 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 484 of 888
Jump to: