THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 549, 550, 551 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Nate silver says that Tim Kaine doesn't really help Clinton very much. I'm starting to get a little depressed.

She needed to pick someone like Booker or Warren to excite the left and get them out to vote. I don't know if a single person will say "now that Tim Kaine is on the ticket, I'll definitely go out and vote!"
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2016/07/22/117f0574-504f-11e6-a422-83ab49ed5e6a_story.html
Quote:
As Hillary Clinton prepares to accept her party’s nomination for president, the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks has released nearly 20,000 hacked emails that offer an embarrassing look inside the workings of the Democratic Party as it prepares for its convention in Philadelphia.

Some of the emails from the Democratic National Committee include discussions about how to undermine Clinton’s chief rival for the presidential nomination, Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.); details of perks provided to party donors attending the convention; and email exchanges among party officials, journalists and others.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
How many average Americans know who Kaine or any other VP candidate is? How much does the average citizen know abou him? Kaine has to sell himself to help HRC.

VP's are on the ticket for succession purposes. I don't know anything about Kaine. Is he qualified to run the country?

Was it pure Luck Lyndon Johnson was the VP when JFK was assassinated? Much of what I've heard says he was really the one pushing JFK's policies through. He was the power behind the scene.

Kaine was the smart and safe choice here. Hillary is the clear favorite in this election and there was no need to get risky at all with the VP pick. Tim Kaine is a current Senator from Virginia, was previously the Governor of Virginia, and also was a former mayor of the city of Richmond. He has foreign policy and national security experience in the Senate. He speaks fluent Spanish. It's also going to be much harder for Trump to win the election if he can't win Virginia, and with Kaine on board, it's now even more likely that VA goes blue again in this election.

I'm definitely on board with this.

What is his advantage for foreign policy and national security?

If I'm not mistaken, he serves on the Foreign Relations committee and the Armed Services committee in the Senate.

I meant does this clearly translate to votes for Hilary for some reason. Only thing I remember about him is his weak water reply to Bush SOTU speech during college but he was new then I think. Can't blame him much for that setup by the DNC then. Point is, does he make some sort of difference with voters with this experience? Or is it just sense of solid safety, like no surprises calm? Or does he have some view(s) that voters will really move to Hillary for?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject:

If the Dems take Virginia and Florida the path for Trump is extremely tough. Right now in an NBC poll Clinton leads in Virginia by 9 points. It's no accident that the Clinton / Kaine rally tomorrow will be in Miami.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
How many average Americans know who Kaine or any other VP candidate is? How much does the average citizen know abou him? Kaine has to sell himself to help HRC.

VP's are on the ticket for succession purposes. I don't know anything about Kaine. Is he qualified to run the country?

Was it pure Luck Lyndon Johnson was the VP when JFK was assassinated? Much of what I've heard says he was really the one pushing JFK's policies through. He was the power behind the scene.

Kaine was the smart and safe choice here. Hillary is the clear favorite in this election and there was no need to get risky at all with the VP pick. Tim Kaine is a current Senator from Virginia, was previously the Governor of Virginia, and also was a former mayor of the city of Richmond. He has foreign policy and national security experience in the Senate. He speaks fluent Spanish. It's also going to be much harder for Trump to win the election if he can't win Virginia, and with Kaine on board, it's now even more likely that VA goes blue again in this election.

While I would have been thrilled with Elizabeth Warren, I always knew she was a long shot. The other thing Kaine has going for him is that he is apparently very well liked on both sides of the aisle and is squeaky clean. Being well liked by both sides should help him work behind the scenes with Congress to get things done a la Joe Biden.

Another thought -- which is the main demographic where Hillary needs help? White males. A second thought -- if moderate GOP voters are feeling queasy about Trump and are looking for a reason to vote HRC, having a moderate white male is less off putting and gives them more cover and comfort. I hate to be so crass, but I have to think that's part of the equation.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Nate silver says that Tim Kaine doesn't really help Clinton very much. I'm starting to get a little depressed.

It's fine as long as he doesn't hurt LOL. Once again, they are playing from a position of strength. She's ahead and the pick doesn't need to be a risky one. That's why it was down to Vilsack or Kaine, two people with a lot of government experience, including as Governors. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a moderate who certainly leans left, and that pretty much describes Tim Kaine. I think the Clinton campaign was wary of picking someone who might look inexperienced and out of their depth in the VP debate, and there will be absolutely no worries of that with Kaine. She picked someone who has a good resume, speaks Spanish, is from a state that Republicans want to compete in, and might even appeal to some white male voters in the Rust Belt and/or Republicans who flat-out dislike Trump.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
32 wrote:

She needed to pick someone like Booker or Warren to excite the left and get them out to vote. I don't know if a single person will say "now that Tim Kaine is on the ticket, I'll definitely go out and vote!"

That's what I was wondering, not knowing about him?

Kind of astonishing how uninspiring her campaign can be sometimes, given her advantages with media, money, etc. At least Warren will be out there frequently probably. No idea how she squares with ticket's support of TPP.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
32 wrote:

Kind of astonishing how uninspiring her campaign can be sometimes, given her advantages with media, money, etc. At least Warren will be out there frequently probably. No idea how she squares with ticket's support of TPP.

Jumping to conclusions. The candidate sets the agenda and the V.P. conforms. HRC said she's against TPP and until she says otherwise, you can't just assert that the "ticket supports TPP."
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
8 things you need to know about Tim Kaine, your next vice president

1) Before he got into politics, Tim spent time working with missionaries in Honduras.
Tim started his public-service career by taking a year off from Harvard Law School to run a technical school founded by Jesuit missionaries in Honduras. He’s described his time in Honduras as formative in his commitment to public service and his understanding of religion.

2) He began his career fighting housing discrimination.
After graduating from Harvard Law School, Tim spent 17 years as a lawyer representing people who had been denied housing due to their race or disability. He led the first meeting of the Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness and brought suit against a financial institution for shutting out homeowners of color, a practice known as “redlining.”

3) Tim championed early childhood and higher education.
As governor, Tim shepherded funding for new public schools, passing the largest bond package for higher education construction in Virginia history. And he forcefully advocated for expanded pre-Kindergarten access.

4) As governor, Tim closed critical loopholes to help prevent gun violence in Virginia.
In the aftermath of the Virginia Tech mass shootings in April 2007, Tim mourned with the victims’ families, demonstrating the depth of his leadership and compassion. He later signed an executive order that imposed restrictions on access to firearms for persons adjudicated mentally ill. Tim also vetoed a bill that would have allowed individuals to bring concealed weapons into restaurants that serve alcohol.

5) Under Tim’s watch, Virginia was rated the best state for business and raising children.
During his tenure as governor, Virginia was rated the best state for business, but Tim, a father of three kids, is most proud of his state leading the country as the best place to raise a child.

6) Tim is a staunch defender of women’s reproductive rights and health care access.
Tim fought efforts to restrict women’s access to the full range of birth control, and he spoke out against legislation that would let women’s employers dictate the terms of their reproductive health care coverage. As senator, he co-sponsored the Protecting Women’s Health from Corporate Interference Act to overturn the Supreme Court’s Hobby Lobby decision and restore contraceptive coverage under the Affordable Care Act. He also introduced legislation to provide women access to affordable, FDA-approved, over-the-counter birth control pills.

7) Tim is a vocal advocate for LGBT rights and equality.
Tim is a longtime advocate of LGBT equality and has earned a 100 percent rating from the Human Rights Campaign. The first executive order he issued as governor prohibited hiring discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. As senator, he introduced legislation to ensure LGBT marriages would be treated equally under the tax code, and he’s advocated for passage of the Equality Act to ensure full federal equality for LGBT Americans.

8) Tim has worked to restore and protect voting rights for all Americans.
Tim used his executive authority as governor to restore voting rights to thousands of formerly incarcerated individuals. As senator, he helped introduce the Voting Rights Advancement Act to fight voter suppression and repair the damage done by the Supreme Court’s Shelby County v. Holder decision, which gutted key provisions of the Voting Rights Act and disempowered millions of voters across the country.

Tim has been building bridges instead of walls his entire life, and that’s exactly the choice we face in this election.

LINK
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

While I would have been thrilled with Elizabeth Warren, I always knew she was a long shot. The other thing Kaine has going for him is that he is apparently very well liked on both sides of the aisle and is squeaky clean. Being well liked by both sides should help him work behind the scenes with Congress to get things done a la Joe Biden.

Another thought -- which is the main demographic where Hillary needs help? White males. A second thought -- if moderate GOP voters are feeling queasy about Trump and are looking for a reason to vote HRC, having a moderate white male is less off putting and gives them more cover and comfort. I hate to be so crass, but I have to think that's part of the equation.

Cover and comfort is real, easing people's minds in troubled times, so maybe you're right. Don't get a firebrand, smooth some of her perceived edges. While Trump is going 'hell in a handbasket' she and her ticket go, yeah but that's why you need calm and collected me and Kaine.

But what did Joe Biden get done behind the scenes? my broad take has been unprecedented rift between repubs and dems (largely bc of repub leadership) and not much did get done in a harmonious way. I don't pay that close day to day attention though to DC insider stuff. Any big wins maybe?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

I suspect that "white male" was secondary to "conventional" and "battleground state."
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

32 wrote:
If the Dems take Virginia and Florida the path for Trump is extremely tough. Right now in an NBC poll Clinton leads in Virginia by 9 points. It's no accident that the Clinton / Kaine rally tomorrow will be in Miami.

Quote:

Quote:
The Virginia Supreme Court has ruled that Gov. Terry McAuliffe doesn't have the authority for a blanket restoration of voting rights to the state's felons.

McAuliffe had issued a sweeping executive order in April that affected 206,000 ex-offenders in the state.

In a 4-3 ruling, the state's justices said under the state constitution, McAuliffe didn't have the authority for such a proclamation.

McAuliffe had previously promised to restore voting rights one by one if his order were overturned, an in a statement late Friday, he reiterated that vow.

Quote:
"I will expeditiously sign nearly 13,000 individual orders to restore the fundamental rights of the citizens who have had their rights restored and registered to vote," he said. "And I will continue to sign orders until I have completed restoration for all 200,000 Virginians."

Under McAuliffe's order, the restoration of rights only extended to felons who have finished serving their terms — anyone in prison, or on supervised probation or parole, was still barred from voting. The order also granted felons the right to serve on juries and become a notary.

He announced that he planned to issue new orders on a monthly basis, to extend the right to vote to felons released in the future.

Governor to Extend Voting Rights Individually
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ChefLinda

32 wrote:
Quote:

1) Before he got into politics, Tim spent time working with missionaries in Honduras.
Tim started his public-service career by taking a year off from Harvard Law School to run a technical school founded by Jesuit missionaries in Honduras. He’s described his time in Honduras as formative in his commitment to public service and his understanding of religion.

After graduating from Harvard Law School, Tim spent 17 years as a lawyer representing people who had been denied housing due to their race or disability. He led the first meeting of the Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness and brought suit against a financial institution for shutting out homeowners of color, a practice known as “redlining.”

As governor, Tim shepherded funding for new public schools, passing the largest bond package for higher education construction in Virginia history. And he forcefully advocated for expanded pre-Kindergarten access.

4) As governor, Tim closed critical loopholes to help prevent gun violence in Virginia.
In the aftermath of the Virginia Tech mass shootings in April 2007, Tim mourned with the victims’ families, demonstrating the depth of his leadership and compassion. He later signed an executive order that imposed restrictions on access to firearms for persons adjudicated mentally ill. Tim also vetoed a bill that would have allowed individuals to bring concealed weapons into restaurants that serve alcohol.

5) Under Tim’s watch, Virginia was rated the best state for business and raising children.
During his tenure as governor, Virginia was rated the best state for business, but Tim, a father of three kids, is most proud of his state leading the country as the best place to raise a child.

6) Tim is a staunch defender of women’s reproductive rights and health care access.
Tim fought efforts to restrict women’s access to the full range of birth control, and he spoke out against legislation that would let women’s employers dictate the terms of their reproductive health care coverage. As senator, he co-sponsored the Protecting Women’s Health from Corporate Interference Act to overturn the Supreme Court’s Hobby Lobby decision and restore contraceptive coverage under the Affordable Care Act. He also introduced legislation to provide women access to affordable, FDA-approved, over-the-counter birth control pills.

Tim is a longtime advocate of LGBT equality and has earned a 100 percent rating from the Human Rights Campaign. The first executive order he issued as governor prohibited hiring discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. As senator, he introduced legislation to ensure LGBT marriages would be treated equally under the tax code, and he’s advocated for passage of the Equality Act to ensure full federal equality for LGBT Americans.

Tim used his executive authority as governor to restore voting rights to thousands of formerly incarcerated individuals. As senator, he helped introduce the Voting Rights Advancement Act to fight voter suppression and repair the damage done by the Supreme Court’s Shelby County v. Holder decision, which gutted key provisions of the Voting Rights Act and disempowered millions of voters across the country.

Tim has been building bridges instead of walls his entire life, and that’s exactly the choice we face in this election.

LINK

Those sound like pretty progressive causes to me. It would be very unfortunate if the far left started litmus tests requiring 100% conformity in order to support a candidate or ticket, especially when the alternative is Trump/Pence.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject:

^^^^
Interestingly enough, in 2008, when Obama selected Biden to be his VP pick, it was Tim Kaine who was the runner-up. Biden was thought to have impressive foreign policy expertise and it was thought that having that on the ticket with the relatively inexperienced Obama would be helpful. Plus, Obama simply liked Joe Biden and had a good rapport with him. From all accounts, Hillary has a good rapport with Kaine, and did with Vilsack, also.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Those sound like pretty progressive causes to me. It would be very unfortunate if the far left started litmus tests requiring 100% conformity in order to support a candidate or ticket, especially when the alternative is Trump/Pence.

I don't think you want the far left starting litmus tests as that's a recipe for disaster -- just look at the far right and the tea partiers. However, it would be nice if some of the left progressive causes could get thrown a bone from time to time. As a Bernie supporter, I feel like I've been snubbed throughout this entire process. /shrug
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
focus wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
32 wrote:

Jumping to conclusions. The candidate sets the agenda and the V.P. conforms. HRC said she's against TPP and until she says otherwise, you can't just assert that the "ticket supports TPP."

Fair enough. But picking him might be a signal to those who support TPP too that she is wavering there.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Cover and comfort is real, easing people's minds in troubled times, so maybe you're right. Don't get a firebrand, smooth some of her perceived edges. While Trump is going 'hell in a handbasket' she and her ticket go, yeah but that's why you need calm and collected me and Kaine.

But what did Joe Biden get done behind the scenes? my broad take has been unprecedented rift between repubs and dems (largely bc of repub leadership) and not much did get done in a harmonious way. I don't pay that close day to day attention though to DC insider stuff. Any big wins maybe?

He helped negotiate a lot of those budget deals with Mitch McConnell. Remember all those times the Tea Party got bent out of shape because Boehner or McConnell "compromised?" That was usually Biden negotiating the compromise behind the scenes. The GOP hated Obama so much, they wouldn't even TALK to the guy. But Biden they talked to.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
focus wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
32 wrote:

Fair enough. But picking him might be a signal to those who support TPP too that she is wavering there.

That's what the US Chamber of Commerce seems to think
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

He helped negotiate a lot of those budget deals with Mitch McConnell. Remember all those times the Tea Party got bent of shape because Boehner or McConnell "compromised?" That was usually Biden negotiating the compromise behind the scenes. The GOP hated Obama so much, they wouldn't even TALK to the guy. But Biden they talked to.

This is true. A couple of government shutdowns were averted by Biden being peacemaker.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

I don't think you want the far left starting litmus tests as that's a recipe for disaster -- just look at the far right and the tea partiers. However, it would be nice if some of the left progressive causes could get thrown a bone from time to time. As a Bernie supporter, I feel like I've been snubbed throughout this entire process. /shrug

FWIW, they negotiated the most progressive party platform in history, and Bernie's people got most of what they wanted. Not everything, but most.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I suspect that "white male" was secondary to "conventional" and "battleground state."

Point taken, but what's more "conventional" than a white male vice president?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

FWIW, they negotiated the most progressive party platform in history, and Bernie's people got most of what they wanted. Not everything, but most.

Unfortunately some of the most important parts, like opposition to the TPP didn't make it in. I guess I'll have to hope HRC maintains the course she switched to and doesn't sign it.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Question

Say Bernie won nom.. who would he have picked?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

One of the big problems that I see from Bernie supporters is that they just don't trust Hillary. They just can't be certain she is really going to stick with these platforms and fight for them, or if she will just give it the old college try, and say, welp, we tried for tuition reform, but it won't work, sorry.

As far as the VP choice, it was perfect for what Hillary wanted. She wanted to make a vanilla choice. She didn't want to pick a game changer, or a stronger personality, or anyone that could have changed the narrative or the fight. Now Kaine will mostly stay in the background, similar to Pence, and it remains Hillary vs. Trump. Right now she is winning by a landslide, and even making traditionally red states, toss-ups. This election is too important for her to try and make a pick that will bring a change in the landscape, she is playing it safe.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
focus wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He helped negotiate a lot of those budget deals with Mitch McConnell. Remember all those times the Tea Party got bent out of shape because Boehner or McConnell "compromised?" That was usually Biden negotiating the compromise behind the scenes. The GOP hated Obama so much, they wouldn't even TALK to the guy. But Biden they talked to.

Thank you, good to know.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 549, 550, 551 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 550 of 888
Jump to: