THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 550, 551, 552 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

One of the big problems that I see from Bernie supporters is that they just don't trust Hillary. They just can't be certain she is really going to stick with these platforms and fight for them, or if she will just give it the old college try, and say, welp, we tried for tuition reform, but it won't work, sorry.

I think it is important to understand that the idea of "Bernie supporters" being one group is was off base. There are people such as myself who voted for Bernie in the Primary and wanted him to be the candidate, and then there are the Bernie zealots who were so emotionally and strategically committed to Bernie being the candidate that they can't get past the fact that he isn't.

The problem is not "Bernie supporters". The majority of us realize what is at stake and are more than able to trust Hilary to move things forward in a positive and progressive fashion to some degree or another. The problem is the BernieOrBusters who are so fixated on seeing everything they wanted come to fruition that they have lost complete sight of the realities this country faces. They're happy to sit back and watch a truly evil person, who is completely unqualified for the office of the President, and dangerously so, become the President out of spite.

The stupidity of being wary of Hilary's willingness to stick to the more progressive aspects of the platform is suicidal shortsightedness. Is TRUMP going to do a better job of accomplishing what they hoped for? Of course not. Will the damage that Trump will do have far more disastrous consequences than Hilary not meeting everything the platform has presented? OF COURSE IT WILL.

I'm tired of seeing Bernie voters being lumped into one group. There are Bernie supporters who want to see progress because they care about this country and want to see it move ahead. And then there are Bernie supporters who only want the progress they like and if they don't get what they want, it's Bern This Effer Down. I have more contempt for them than I do Trumpies. At least Trumps have the excuse of being stupid and ignorant. BernieOr Busties are just selfish children who are willing to see the Nation dealt a huge setback that has disastrous implications for so many groups of people simply because they didn't get their way.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
8 things you need to know about Tim Kaine, your next vice president

1) Before he got into politics, Tim spent time working with missionaries in Honduras.
Tim started his public-service career by taking a year off from Harvard Law School to run a technical school founded by Jesuit missionaries in Honduras. He’s described his time in Honduras as formative in his commitment to public service and his understanding of religion.

2) He began his career fighting housing discrimination.
After graduating from Harvard Law School, Tim spent 17 years as a lawyer representing people who had been denied housing due to their race or disability. He led the first meeting of the Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness and brought suit against a financial institution for shutting out homeowners of color, a practice known as “redlining.”

3) Tim championed early childhood and higher education.
As governor, Tim shepherded funding for new public schools, passing the largest bond package for higher education construction in Virginia history. And he forcefully advocated for expanded pre-Kindergarten access.

4) As governor, Tim closed critical loopholes to help prevent gun violence in Virginia.
In the aftermath of the Virginia Tech mass shootings in April 2007, Tim mourned with the victims’ families, demonstrating the depth of his leadership and compassion. He later signed an executive order that imposed restrictions on access to firearms for persons adjudicated mentally ill. Tim also vetoed a bill that would have allowed individuals to bring concealed weapons into restaurants that serve alcohol.

5) Under Tim’s watch, Virginia was rated the best state for business and raising children.
During his tenure as governor, Virginia was rated the best state for business, but Tim, a father of three kids, is most proud of his state leading the country as the best place to raise a child.

6) Tim is a staunch defender of women’s reproductive rights and health care access.
Tim fought efforts to restrict women’s access to the full range of birth control, and he spoke out against legislation that would let women’s employers dictate the terms of their reproductive health care coverage. As senator, he co-sponsored the Protecting Women’s Health from Corporate Interference Act to overturn the Supreme Court’s Hobby Lobby decision and restore contraceptive coverage under the Affordable Care Act. He also introduced legislation to provide women access to affordable, FDA-approved, over-the-counter birth control pills.

7) Tim is a vocal advocate for LGBT rights and equality.
Tim is a longtime advocate of LGBT equality and has earned a 100 percent rating from the Human Rights Campaign. The first executive order he issued as governor prohibited hiring discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. As senator, he introduced legislation to ensure LGBT marriages would be treated equally under the tax code, and he’s advocated for passage of the Equality Act to ensure full federal equality for LGBT Americans.

8) Tim has worked to restore and protect voting rights for all Americans.
Tim used his executive authority as governor to restore voting rights to thousands of formerly incarcerated individuals. As senator, he helped introduce the Voting Rights Advancement Act to fight voter suppression and repair the damage done by the Supreme Court’s Shelby County v. Holder decision, which gutted key provisions of the Voting Rights Act and disempowered millions of voters across the country.

Tim has been building bridges instead of walls his entire life, and that’s exactly the choice we face in this election.

LINK

Those sound like pretty progressive causes to me. It would be very unfortunate if the far left started litmus tests requiring 100% conformity in order to support a candidate or ticket, especially when the alternative is Trump/Pence.

I don't think you want the far left starting litmus tests as that's a recipe for disaster -- just look at the far right and the tea partiers. However, it would be nice if some of the left progressive causes could get thrown a bone from time to time. As a Bernie supporter, I feel like I've been snubbed throughout this entire process. /shrug

That link is from Clinton's website. There are probably less subjective takes on Kaine's record, issues, and bio. I am sure Trump's site has nice things to say about Pence's record, and issues. Others, like me, are likely to disagree. "Pence supports American families"...uh-huh.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I don't think you want the far left starting litmus tests as that's a recipe for disaster -- just look at the far right and the tea partiers. However, it would be nice if some of the left progressive causes could get thrown a bone from time to time. As a Bernie supporter, I feel like I've been snubbed throughout this entire process. /shrug

FWIW, they negotiated the most progressive party platform in history, and Bernie's people got most of what they wanted. Not everything, but most.

Unfortunately some of the most important parts, like opposition to the TPP didn't make it in. I guess I'll have to hope HRC maintains the course she switched to and doesn't sign it.

Unlikely
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

One of the big problems that I see from Bernie supporters is that they just don't trust Hillary. They just can't be certain she is really going to stick with these platforms and fight for them, or if she will just give it the old college try, and say, welp, we tried for tuition reform, but it won't work, sorry.

I think it is important to understand that the idea of "Bernie supporters" being one group is was off base. There are people such as myself who voted for Bernie in the Primary and wanted him to be the candidate, and then there are the Bernie zealots who were so emotionally and strategically committed to Bernie being the candidate that they can't get past the fact that he isn't.

The problem is not "Bernie supporters". The majority of us realize what is at stake and are more than able to trust Hilary to move things forward in a positive and progressive fashion to some degree or another. The problem is the BernieOrBusters who are so fixated on seeing everything they wanted come to fruition that they have lost complete sight of the realities this country faces. They're happy to sit back and watch a truly evil person, who is completely unqualified for the office of the President, and dangerously so, become the President out of spite.

The stupidity of being wary of Hilary's willingness to stick to the more progressive aspects of the platform is suicidal shortsightedness. Is TRUMP going to do a better job of accomplishing what they hoped for? Of course not. Will the damage that Trump will do have far more disastrous consequences than Hilary not meeting everything the platform has presented? OF COURSE IT WILL.

I'm tired of seeing Bernie voters being lumped into one group. There are Bernie supporters who want to see progress because they care about this country and want to see it move ahead. And then there are Bernie supporters who only want the progress they like and if they don't get what they want, it's Bern This Effer Down. I have more contempt for them than I do Trumpies. At least Trumps have the excuse of being stupid and ignorant. BernieOr Busties are just selfish children who are willing to see the Nation dealt a huge setback that has disastrous implications for so many groups of people simply because they didn't get their way.

Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely right. In this context when we were saying "Bernie supporters" and following on CL's post, it was more geared towards those who are questionably hesitant towards voting for Hillary. That is the faction I am really referring to. Groups who post stuff like this and arrange 100,000 people to protest in Philadelphia,

PIC
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Kaine simply makes sense if you realize that Hillary is a moderate pragmatist who is far more into the policy of governing than the show of electoral politics.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject:

See lots of articles and info on Trump/Pence and Hillary/Kaine, but aren't there other things that will be decided in November?

Hearing more and more about the lack of attention paid to local government.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Kaine simply makes sense if you realize that Hillary is a moderate pragmatist who is far more into the policy of governing than the show of electoral politics.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking moderate "status quo" politicians are failing this country. I'm in high tech and the TPP is going to decimate my co-workers with an influx of H1-B's. I'm still very wary that HRC will actually oppose TPP. Call me a single-issue voter but in the words of Joe Biden, this is a big (bleep) deal to me.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don't think I'm alone in thinking moderate "status quo" politicians are failing this country. I'm in high tech and the TPP is going to decimate my co-workers with an influx of H1-B's. I'm still very wary that HRC will actually oppose TPP. Call me a single-issue voter but in the words of Joe Biden, this is a big (bleep) deal to me.

The spice must flow...
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

The spice must flow...

Bottom line!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Another thought -- which is the main demographic where Hillary needs help? White males. A second thought -- if moderate GOP voters are feeling queasy about Trump and are looking for a reason to vote HRC, having a moderate white male is less off putting and gives them more cover and comfort. I hate to be so crass, but I have to think that's part of the equation.

I suspect that "white male" was secondary to "conventional" and "battleground state."

Point taken, but what's more "conventional" than a white male vice president?

Absolutely. However, Bernie Sanders is a white male. So is Barney Frank.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject:

This is absolutely frightening. Hitler 2.0

Quote:
New Kasich ad: If Trump becomes president, ‘you better hope there’s someone left to help you’

The gloves are off in the fight between John Kasich and Donald Trump.

Well, technically they've been off since last Friday. But the Kasich campaign released a Web ad Tuesday directly attacked Trump with a darker tone than any other candidate has used so far to go after the business mogul.

The spot features retired Air Force Col. Tom Moe speaking at an event in Ohio, the same day Trump held a rally in Columbus. Moe, who the Kasich campaign identifies as a former Vietnam POW, paraphrases a quote from Protestant pastor Martin Niemöller, taken from his lectures after World War II.

Click on link to watch video.

The Washington Post
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
A Mother’s Complaint About a ‘Cynical Use’ of Benghazi

To the Editor:

As Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens’s mother, I am writing to object to any mention of his name and death in Benghazi, Libya, by Donald Trump’s campaign and the Republican Party.

I know for certain that Chris would not have wanted his name or memory used in that connection. I hope that there will be an immediate and permanent stop to this opportunistic and cynical use by the campaign.

MARY F. COMMANDAY

Oakland, Calif.

NY TIMES
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
This is absolutely frightening. Hitler 2.0

Quote:
New Kasich ad: If Trump becomes president, ‘you better hope there’s someone left to help you’

The gloves are off in the fight between John Kasich and Donald Trump.

Well, technically they've been off since last Friday. But the Kasich campaign released a Web ad Tuesday directly attacked Trump with a darker tone than any other candidate has used so far to go after the business mogul.

The spot features retired Air Force Col. Tom Moe speaking at an event in Ohio, the same day Trump held a rally in Columbus. Moe, who the Kasich campaign identifies as a former Vietnam POW, paraphrases a quote from Protestant pastor Martin Niemöller, taken from his lectures after World War II.

Click on link to watch video.

The Washington Post

I'm confused (no comments needed from the peanut gallery) but the post above says this is a new ad, but the link has a date of Nov 2015.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

For people who still consider themselves to be Democrats, how do you feel about the just released 20,000 DNC email leaks showing collusion between the DNC and the media (including CNN, MSNBC) in an attempt to undermine Bernie?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
For people who still consider themselves to be Democrats, how do you feel about the just released 20,000 DNC email leaks showing collusion between the DNC and the media (including CNN, MSNBC) in an attempt to undermine Bernie?

Unsurprised and unmoved.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:

Anyone with half a brain could see that Hilary and her cronies were trying to stack the deck against Bernie. She's unscrupulous and will do what needs to be done to secure her legacy.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:

Unsurprised and unmoved.

This, and it's not like Bernie's people didn't do their own manipulating.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
How many average Americans know who Kaine or any other VP candidate is? How much does the average citizen know abou him? Kaine has to sell himself to help HRC.

VP's are on the ticket for succession purposes. I don't know anything about Kaine. Is he qualified to run the country?

Was it pure Luck Lyndon Johnson was the VP when JFK was assassinated? Much of what I've heard says he was really the one pushing JFK's policies through. He was the power behind the scene.

Kaine was the smart and safe choice here. Hillary is the clear favorite in this election and there was no need to get risky at all with the VP pick. Tim Kaine is a current Senator from Virginia, was previously the Governor of Virginia, and also was a former mayor of the city of Richmond. He has foreign policy and national security experience in the Senate. He speaks fluent Spanish. It's also going to be much harder for Trump to win the election if he can't win Virginia, and with Kaine on board, it's now even more likely that VA goes blue again in this election.

I'm definitely on board with this.

I keep hearing that but I'm not convinced.

I can't get Truman vs Dewey 1948 election out of my mind. I didn't think George Bush had a chance to be reelected. I didn't think Arnold Schwarzenegger had a prayer for a second term.

Michael Moore makes sense to me. I think he's correct in his analysis of Trump. I think he's on to something when he said Trump knows how to manipulate a dumb down population.

I think this is going to be a tight race. I'm hoping Hillary comes across the line first but I'd not bet the condo on it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:

Not surprised, it's par for the course. It's called politics.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

Anyone with half a brain could see that Hilary and her cronies were trying to stack the deck against Bernie. She's unscrupulous and will do what needs to be done to secure her legacy.

How about she'll do what needs to be done to win the election?

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:

Unsurprised and unmoved.

Unsurprised also. This whole election cycle is turning me off. RNC is (bleep) crazy. DNC caters to money, power and legacy. I'll be voting anti-Trump then time to be an independent voter.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

Kaine sounds like a good pick. It seems like his finer points come second nature. Earnest and honest, fair, decent, likable, promotes diversity/equality, professional credentials are strong, the Espanol can only help, pre-political background is strong, is an actual regular churchgoer which isn't too common from politicians who want to use their religion as a bonus.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:

Too little, too late. It's over, man. Many have moved on since Bernie. All you can do now with that info is re-litigate. Him endorsing Hillary wasn't even a huge story by the time he finally did it. The soles of his shoes were worn off, he drug his feet too damn long.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject:

Nothing major is gonna change in this country if we act complacent with comments like "it's just politics."
senthus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Kaine sounds like a good pick. It seems like his finer points come second nature. Earnest and honest, fair, decent, likable, promotes diversity/equality, professional credentials are strong, the Espanol can only help, pre-political background is strong, is an actual regular churchgoer which isn't too common from politicians who want to use their religion as a bonus.

Very strong speech he did. Good pick
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 550, 551, 552 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 551 of 888
Jump to: