THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 769, 770, 771 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:
The common wisdom among cable-news pundits and political journalists is that the Republican Party will be forced into some form of realignment or, at the very least, a re-examination of how it should conduct politics in a post-Obama age. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there’s simply no way that the party will adjust its overall posture.

Quote:
The GOP will not change, even during what will surely be a raging postelection Trump hangover. Indeed, it will order more hair of the dog and continue its reluctant but unavoidable embrace of white nationalist Trump posture.

Out of the 2016 election, and due to the GOP’s incompetence combined with its superficial politics and dwindling core values, the Trump “alt-right” faction will emerge from the election with serious power within the party. Simply put: The GOP won’t be capable of winning any elections without pandering to the Trump people whose activism will surely metastasize and expand.

This is precisely why the Republican National Committee’s chairman, Reince Priebus, and House Speaker Paul Ryan have decided to not completely distance themselves from Trump. They need Trump and his band of Pepe the Frog disciples. The GOP will struggle to co-opt the alt-right, advancing the Trump venom through the bloodstream of the party, just as it did with the Tea Party in 2009 and 2010.

And contrary to the common wisdom in some circles online and off, the Republican Party won’t collapse. Anyone predicting its death probably shouldn’t be taken seriously. Instead, history will repeat itself and not unlike what happened with the Tea Party, the alt-right will wag the dog.

In that respect, rather than unifying the party, the pandering to the Trump people will worsen its balkanization, with three distinct factions struggling to control the trajectory of the party. Ryan and Priebus need the Trump people more than the Trump people need them.

Quote:
Eight years later, we’re witnessing yet another split. This time, the Tea Party has fractured down the middle, with Cruz and his colleagues in the Freedom Caucus on one side and the Trump crowd on the other. Effectively three major subgroups have been been created within the party: the establishment GOP, which includes Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell; the Freedom Caucus, led by Cruz, Walker and Rand Paul who emerged in 2010; and the Trump alt-right movement, led by Trump, Steve Bannon and their Breitbart minions.

The fear among normals is that the Trump faction will control the party, holding out its wild-eyed, open-carry loyalists as a threat during every election into the foreseeable future. And, to repeat, the establishment GOP will let it, emboldening Trump’s power and diminishing the establishment GOP’s ability to retain its grown-up stature. Knowing this and the GOP’s inability to euthanize the monsters it creates, it’s more important than ever for reasonable Republicans to step up and to guide the establishment faction away from its fringes.

Salon

Interesting. Do you think the Democrats are following samilar trajectory post election with Bernie/Warren wing becoming the louder albeit the smaller caucus but one which the mainstream democrats need (the votes at least)?

The tough part with that is that the establishment is having success. Hillary may end up winning the Presidency in historic fashion, totally obliterating Trump.

And as long as the Alt-Right can continue to have influence in the GOP, it will be enough to scare the further left Dems from rebelling too much. They don't want to take the chance of someone from the Alt-right gaining power.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What I glean is, this was a wedding. Maybe she thought the occasion wasn't the place to discuss political issues. I can understand not wanting to discuss gay issues at a wedding. It's a sensitive subject and can be distracting.

This happened a couple of days before the wedding.

Am I to understand your dislike of her is because of her implied position on gay marriage? I'm not trying to be adversarial, I'm only curious.

EDIT: I applaud you for putting the betterment of the country above your dislike of Hillary and voting for her over the field.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject:

The Brain wrote:
phayze one wrote:
The Brain wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
The Brain wrote:
Politicians, career politicians, are like the HOA in housing developments. The original job of the HOA was to take a little fee, make sure no one parks on the lawn or paints their house pink and have a couple of landscape dudes cut the shrubs on the parkways and be on their way. Just like people running for office. Their jobs are to collect a salary as a public servant, manage the area so the citizens are good and be on their way.

However, many HOA's like to get up all in your business now, like career politicos. Like, if you don't take your garbage in 4 min after the trash man comes, then you get a little note from some pipsqueak in the middle of the night when no one is around to see him or her, to warn you you might get in trouble or fined. Politicians like to make laws now scaring you into giving more money for this or that or some whatever will get you. And if you don't do it, THEY will get you.

It is one big, giant, scam. Huge. So, when I bought my house, i made sure to tell the real estate waitress, hey, if you want a commish, find me a house without the 3 letter word. So, she did, and guess what? Neighborhood is great. No one is all up in your pockets and windshield wipers, dropping notes, and everyone handles their own cheese.

Life is better that way and it's proof it works. Time to do that more all around America. Let's get hats that say "Let's Make America Depended of Their Own Damn Lives Again." Because I am a real American. And I fight for the rights of every man. Fight for your life.

When have Americans ever solely depended on themselves for anything? You yourself, unless you go become a hermit in the woods, are a dependent of the government in several ways whether you accept it or not.

I suggest reading up on the history of dependence and the welfare state. You can start with Declarations of Dependence: The Long Reconstruction of Popular Politics in the South, 1861-1908.

I'll check that out. Yes, dependency on the government is important to certain, specific things. I pay taxes so the country protects the homeland. Make sure roads work so I can go to work. Allows public schooling so my kids can learn. I pay for that. So, there is earning going on from both sides.

However, once you start paying for stuff that has nothing to do with you, that's when that scary word starts to rear it's head. Ask all those Obamacare victims and they will tell you.

I never plan on having kids and I'm already settled in my career, so by this logic, the education system has nothing to do with me. I shouldn't have to give up my hard-earned tax dollars for it...right?

Great question. We could argue this one for 1000 pages. There is no right or wrong answer.

The more educated the kids are in your city, the less likely they are to commit crime, get pregnant early or need public assistance later on in life. So, the education system does indeed effect your life.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

President Obama responds to Donald Trump tweet on ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’: ‘At least I will go down as a president’

Obama loves to drop the mike

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Bottom line; We have two choices for POTUS. Alleged lying, corrupt, shady, Hilary or alleged lying, corrupt, shady, Donald.

The way I see it, I'm going to vote for the LCS character with the most experience at running a country. Not the LCS who ran businesses into the ground. There are no bankrupt laws to bail a country out.

Put aside the allegations, transparency issues, political innuendos, ask who is best qualified to lead the country?

Donald says he's going to change the way Washington operates. He can't change the way the world communities do. IMO Donald would have us He's show a propensity to alienate.

I say all that to say I've voted for HRC and prop 64, among others.

We actually have more than two choices for President.

The only thing keeping it as this binary choice thing is that people believe it. That's it.

People have been convinced that it's true when it's not.

Well, that and the fact that Trump actually is the second most credible candidate on the ballot. Think about that for a moment.

That's only the case because people buy into the 2 party system.

It's a political scam that most of the populace buys into. People will vote against their own desires because they think everyone else will. All those other people vote against their own desires for the very same reason. If all the people voted the way they truly wanted to vote we'd have a completely different election.

People keep talking about a binary choice. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. They hamstring themselves and become part of the problem spreading the lie to others.

No, it is because none of the third party candidates are viable in the slightest. Forget parties for a second. If Gary Johnson was running in a two person race against Hillary Clinton, he'd be getting his hat handed to him far worse than Trump is.

I disagree.

As do I (with you). You promote Gary Johnson from the rookie league to compete against guys with three or four nasty pitches, and he would do nothing but swing and miss. He had two huge gaffes with limited exposure.

On the big stage, he'd melt.

Aleppo

You openly admit to supporting a corrupt dishonest liar... but Aleppo... oh no!

Nice try at deflecting. Not well played.

My statement calling her a dishonest liar was based on what YOU said about her. Other people answering me on that didn't realize that it wasn't a statement by me.

ahem...

jodeke wrote:
Bottom line; We have two choices for POTUS. Alleged lying, corrupt, shady, Hilary or alleged lying, corrupt, shady, Donald.

The way I see it, I'm going to vote for the LCS character with the most experience at running a country. Not the LCS who ran businesses into the ground. There are no bankrupt laws, that I know of, to bail a country out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject:

@Reflexx My mention of Aleppo was to the post by ribeye.

ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Your reply had nothing to do with it. You moved the goal posts.

Key word, ALLEGED.

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Key word, ALLEGED.

I know what your response was to. I just find it convenient that is something you care about but you dismiss the "alleged" sliminess of your preferred candidate.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Key word, ALLEGED.

I know what your response was to. I just find it convenient that is something you care about but you dismiss the "alleged" sliminess of your preferred candidate.

Name one politician that doesn't lie. I deem what's being said as political ploys. I don't dismiss it, those are your words. I place less weight on it.

What you find convenient is irrelevant to me. What I do dismiss it name calling. You'll find I don't engage with those who slip to using insulting labels. IMO it goes to character.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

What you find convenient is irrelevant to me. What I do dismiss it name calling. You'll find I don't engage with those who slip to using insulting labels. IMO it goes to character.

Do we have data on how many avowed Trump voters voted for "pubic and anus"? I wonder if there's a strong correlation, Joe.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Do we have data on how many avowed Trump voters voted for "pubic and anus"? I wonder if there's a strong correlation, Joe.

You bouta git on my $hit list.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
President Obama responds to Donald Trump tweet on ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’: ‘At least I will go down as a president’

Sick burn

I'm gonna miss this guy
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Kids Pick Clinton in Mock Election That Predicted Last 13 Winners

Quote:
American kids have chosen Hillary Clinton as president over Donald Trump in a mock election that included 135,000 American schoolchildren in recent weeks. This mock election has a perfect record predicting every election since 1964, being wrong only twice since 1940.

Clinton won 52 percent of the students’ votes while Trump got only 35 percent in the mock election through Scholastic News. Third party candidates got about 13 percent, which is unusually high, USA Today reported, especially since in this contest students had to write in a candidate’s name other than Clinton or Trump.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Kids Pick Clinton in Mock Election That Predicted Last 13 Winners

Quote:
American kids have chosen Hillary Clinton as president over Donald Trump in a mock election that included 135,000 American schoolchildren in recent weeks. This mock election has a perfect record predicting every election since 1964, being wrong only twice since 1940.

Clinton won 52 percent of the students’ votes while Trump got only 35 percent in the mock election through Scholastic News. Third party candidates got about 13 percent, which is unusually high, USA Today reported, especially since in this contest students had to write in a candidate’s name other than Clinton or Trump.

It actually sort of makes sense, especially the write-in part. Depending on their ages, and assuming these are elementary school children, they probably vote the same way their parents would. If true and they are a representative sample of American, then there should be a correlation to the actual results of the real election.

HRC is going to win. I think that's pretty obvious at this point. The only question now is how many GOP members does Trump take down with him? That's just as important as who wins. At this point, I'm not sure what I would want more - a dem congress or a dem president. Seems from the last decade or so, the latter may be more important.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:

I want both, a dem congress and a dem president. The GOP can go (bleep) themselves, seriously.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject:

I realize in advance that some people will find this to be tasteless and warped, but . . . . When I saw the clip of Newt Gingrich telling Megyn Kelly that she was fascinated with sex, one of my first thoughts was "That's going to wind up in a porn film."
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:

Well, race is far from over. CNN is talking about Trump leading in Florida
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Well, race is far from over. CNN is talking about Trump leading in Florida

Then there is this:

Florida Is Slipping Away from Trump

Quote:
Without Florida, there is virtually no way Donald Trump can become President of the United States, and every day brings more evidence that Hillary Clinton is going to win a solid victory there. There is polling, early voting data, TV spending, and the size of the campaigns' respective ground games, and all of them point to a substantial Clinton win in Florida. Since the start of August, we have 33 polls in Florida. Clinton is leading in 24 of them, tied in 2, and behind in only 7. If we look at polls taken entirely in September and October, Clinton is leading in 15 and trailing in 6, and in half of the 6 polls where Trump led, it is by only 1 point.

Early mail-in ballots are another problem for Trump. In 2012, Republicans led in mail-ins at this point by 5 points. This year, they still lead, but their lead has been cut to 1.7 points, a shift of over 3 points in Clinton's favor. That is not a good sign for The Donald.

Voter registration is another problem area for Trump. Obama carried the state in 2008 and 2012, and since then, 100,000 more Democrats than Republicans have registered to vote. Furthermore, the Florida electorate is less white now than in 2012, with a 3-point shift in favor of nonwhite voters, and most of whom vote Democratic.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2016/Pres/Maps/Oct26.html#item-1

electoral-vote.com has it +4 Hillary

538 has it +2.1/3.0 Hillary

HuffPo has it +3.4 Hillary

(These may not reflect the CNN poll which would mitigate the leads.)
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

CNN is just trying to create the illusion of a horse race so people watch. They've been by far the most worthless major network this election cycle.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

Funny how nobody has posted this yet. Maybe it was one of yous who did it.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-trump-vandalism-20161026-snap-story.html

this is truly getting out of hand and really disgusting. You don't here anything about some radical conservative vandalizing anything of Hillary's. It's only on the left. I really hope Trump does get elected so these douchebags can go jump off the Golden Gate.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Sick burn

I'm gonna miss this guy

Yea me too. I'll miss Oblunder care, the national debt going up, more people out of work, more people on food stamps, the feminazi movement, and the racial divide.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

!...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Funny how nobody has posted this yet. Maybe it was one of yous who did it.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-trump-vandalism-20161026-snap-story.html

this is truly getting out of hand and really disgusting. You don't here anything about some radical conservative vandalizing anything of Hillary's. It's only on the left. I really hope Trump does get elected so these douchebags can go jump off the Golden Gate.

She's had her wikipedia page and campaign signs vandalized at private homes on a smaller scale. On a larger scale, and probably worse than the Trump star, her father's tombstone was knocked over. I don't think crime or vandalism have a party affiliation.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Sick burn

I'm gonna miss this guy

Yea me too. I'll miss Oblunder care, the national debt going up, more people out of work, more people on food stamps, the feminazi movement, and the racial divide.

All that misplaced anger will destroy your health.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Sick burn

I'm gonna miss this guy

just facts, man.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Sick burn

I'm gonna miss this guy

Women who want equal treatment are definitely akin to Nazis. I also miss the days back in 2007 when there was no radial divide. MAGA!!1
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 769, 770, 771 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 770 of 888
Jump to: