THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
ribeye wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

I'm open to the idea of a special tax ... if certain people in the population love supporting these causes, they can simply check off a "BOX" on their tax returns and let 10-20% of their income go right to that cause

I'm sure there will be a huge number of people willing to partake ... NOT!

Why not then, just make all tax optional? If you want to pay, then pay, and pay the amount you see fit.

And how about then, those who pay taxes, can drive on the roads. And the police, the fire department, the courts, are only there for those who pay.

This anarchist approach to taxation is just a lazy attempt to reduce the value of democracy. Once upon a time, the US was a team. We were brutally attacked by six carriers and 350 planes and team US went to work. We were all in it together, amazingly transforming into a military economy almost overnight, and with a high marginal tax rate of 94%. When the war ended, we had the GI bill and the interstate highway system that were examples of what the concept of team US meant post war, that lead to the expansion of the middle class from the late 40's trough the late 70's.

No one likes paying taxes. But guess what, out of the 31 countries in the OECD, the US is 31st (that would be last) in taxes as a percent of GDP:

http://www.oecd.org/eco/outlook/economicoutlookannextables.htm table 26

Why do you need to take it to extreme levels?

I'm all for a utility/public service tax and a consumption tax.

Then for all the holier than thou do-gooders, then they can elect to pay extra for their "causes".

What's wrong w/that? Doesn't seem anarchist to me at all.

OK then, how about this. When there is to be a war, how about only those who want the war, pay for it--their cause? If the US is to build their 13th Carrier, more than the rest of the world combined, why not have one of your little boxes for that?

The point I'm getting at is that different people view how money should be divided. Some see value in a large safety net; some, in works projects that build the universal infrastructure (which is my biggest priority and doesn't get near enough attention); some like a huge military industrial complex for any number of reasons, most all of which equate to money, profit and protection of it; and some just don't want to pay taxes at all.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

I'm open to the idea of a special tax ... if certain people in the population love supporting these causes, they can simply check off a "BOX" on their tax returns and let 10-20% of their income go right to that cause

I'm sure there will be a huge number of people willing to partake ... NOT!

This made me laugh because of the historical irony. A generation ago, it was the left wing that wanted the box option -- for military spending. There were even tax protestors who deducted a portion of their taxes equal to the relative spending on the military.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:
Maybe you believe there aren't poverty stricken Americans in need of jobs, low paying as they may be.

I used to think this way. However, recent history shows that there really aren't a lot of Americans willing to do these jobs. It's sort of pathetic, really.

The demonization of illegal immigrants is a partisan agenda. If we really wanted to get rid of them, we would. It wouldn't be all that hard to stamp out work opportunities for illegals. We could have done it forty years ago (yes, this was an issue forty years ago). So why haven't we done it? Don't blame the "liberals" for this. We've had conservative presidents with a conservative majority in both houses of Congress, but no one has ever seriously tried to do it. Instead, people talk about silly stuff like building a wall on the border. This is just a way of exploiting the issue for political ends without really doing anything.

The reality is that we need the cheap labor, and both parties know it. But demonizing illegal aliens is good stuff when it comes to elections. I'm fed up with the hypocrisy.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
CMB,

stick to making vaguely racist remarks about apes and sass machines.

Well, alright, but I haven't made any of those. Apes and sass machines come in all colors and creeds, sweetie. Old, young, black, jewish, angsty white Christian male gun nut.

Sure they do, pumpkin.

How did the DOJ's rejection of your gun purchase go? Did you end up getting your Mosin Nagant or did you give up on the DROS costing you $25?

I see you edited your toe/tow mistake. Good job, sugar tush!

DOJ cleared me, they just needed a new thumbprint. Waiting for my spam can rounds in the mail so I can take it out and use it...pretty excited!

I fixed it...thanks for catching my typo! See? Not every post has to be 100% angst!

Hopefully I don't hear in the news about you "using" it. Kidding aside, you do know that those surplus rounds have steel in them which can cause sparks. Most ranges and even on BLM land it's not allowed because of fire hazards. Take a magnet to the bullet and if it sticks (and it will), you're a bit screwed. You're either going to have to find a range nearest to you that allows magnetic round or cough up the dough for more expensive copper and lead stuff. Now that I've rained on your parade, I'm going to go enjoy a smoothie.

When I bought it I didn't intend on ever firing it, but after looking at some videos, I changed my mind, and am already resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to take a day off to do some driving to find an outdoor place, possibly in another state.

Raahauge's in Corona.

Yeehaw cowboy!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
CMB,

Well, alright, but I haven't made any of those. Apes and sass machines come in all colors and creeds, sweetie. Old, young, black, jewish, angsty white Christian male gun nut.

Sure they do, pumpkin.

How did the DOJ's rejection of your gun purchase go? Did you end up getting your Mosin Nagant or did you give up on the DROS costing you $25?

DOJ cleared me, they just needed a new thumbprint. Waiting for my spam can rounds in the mail so I can take it out and use it...pretty excited!

I fixed it...thanks for catching my typo! See? Not every post has to be 100% angst!

Hopefully I don't hear in the news about you "using" it. Kidding aside, you do know that those surplus rounds have steel in them which can cause sparks. Most ranges and even on BLM land it's not allowed because of fire hazards. Take a magnet to the bullet and if it sticks (and it will), you're a bit screwed. You're either going to have to find a range nearest to you that allows magnetic round or cough up the dough for more expensive copper and lead stuff. Now that I've rained on your parade, I'm going to go enjoy a smoothie.

When I bought it I didn't intend on ever firing it, but after looking at some videos, I changed my mind, and am already resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to take a day off to do some driving to find an outdoor place, possibly in another state.

Have a sniper battle.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject:

LINK

US: Russia violated 1987 nuclear missile treaty

Though the president is accused of not putting enough pressure on Putin, I think he is. Those who say he's not are asking more than what's prudent.

He's slowly gaining more support in the Intenational Community. It's pressure that in the long run will be more effective.

Quote:
In raising the issue now, the U.S. appears to be placing increased pressure on Russia and trying to further isolate it from the international community. The European Union and the United States plan to announce new sanctions against Russia this week in the face of U.S. evidence that Russia has continued to assist separatist forces in Ukraine.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
C M B wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
CMB,

Sure they do, pumpkin.

Have a sniper battle.

If you'd like to join in, I have the perfect T-shirt for you.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
The biggest thing illegal aliens have exploited is the willingness to work for (bleep) wages in exploitive, often illegal conditions doing manual labor most of the folks complaining about them would lift a finger to do if they were starving and homeless.

Illegal's have learned the system, if you call exploiting it using it they are masters.

Food stamps, health care, general relief, are a few of the programs offered by DPSS they sign up for and get.

I know a woman who came here illegally and had a child. The boy was diagnosed with autism. He gets SS, special ed schooling, bus to and from school, among other things and to top it off he's a citizen because he was born here.

Don't hate the player, learn the game.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Russia May Leave Nuclear Treaty

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/29/moscow-russia-violated-cold-war-nuclear-treaty-iskander-r500-missile-test-us

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/29/moscow-russia-violated-cold-war-nuclear-treaty-iskander-r500-missile-test-us

I think this is the beginning of a new cold war.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:

Considering US and Russia have the most nuclear stockpiles around the world, if they aren't going to reduce their number of warheads, there might be a new race to build more nukes around the world.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:

Considering US and Russia have the most nuclear stockpiles around the world, if they aren't going to reduce their number of warheads, there might be a new race to build more nukes around the world.

2 Peter 3:10

The Day of the Lord
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.

shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:

2 Peter 3:10

The Day of the Lord
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.

New Cold War? But but but...

Last edited by shansen008 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Jeez.

First a protracted argument over which of the two sides in a largely religious argument were right or wrong and now scripture. . . .

Are we going to the eye of a needle next?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Jeez.

First a protracted argument over which of the two sides in a largely religious argument were right or wrong and now scripture. . . .

Are we going to the eye of a needle next?

The scripture is referencing the possibility of a nuclear war disaster. LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

The scripture is referencing the possibility of a nuclear war disaster.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

How about we leave religion out of this thread? That goes for quoting it, using it as justification or mocking it. Thanks.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
How about we leave religion out of this thread? That goes for quoting it, using it as justification or mocking it. Thanks.

How dare you separate church and state.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Why would a state with the worst child poverty rates in the whole world seek to ban abortion - Mississippi

Look at these stats
http://hechingerreport.org/content/mississippis-child-poverty-rate-is-twice-as-high-as-lithuanias-why-are-we-ok-with-that_14077/
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Doest that mean we cant talk about Islam? After all it does arguably fall under politics as well as religion considering the imposition of Shariah law. Or do you just mean scripture quotes?

Better yet, what are we allowed to talk about? Or are we just gonna mod snipe everything we dont like that may offend someone somewhere in the political thread?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Why would a state with the worst child poverty rates in the whole world seek to ban abortion - Mississippi

Look at these stats
http://hechingerreport.org/content/mississippis-child-poverty-rate-is-twice-as-high-as-lithuanias-why-are-we-ok-with-that_14077/

Is this a serious question, or are you just trying to get a rise out of the pro-lifers? I'm pro-choice, but even I wouldn't advocate abortion as a cure for child poverty. That's like being against the malaria vaccine because it will cause population growth in the sub-Sahara. It's true, but rooting for death is sort of weird. I'd prefer a less cynical alternative.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:

Look at these stats

Is this a serious question, or are you just trying to get a rise out of the pro-lifers? I'm pro-choice, but even I wouldn't advocate abortion as a cure for child poverty. That's like being against the malaria vaccine because it will cause population growth in the sub-Sahara. It's true, but rooting for death is sort of weird. I'd prefer a less cynical alternative.

I am saying because abortion is considered so morally wrong and shameful to so many there many moms to be choose to have the child even though their financial ability to raise it doom the child to poverty.

I am not advocating death to cure poverty but I bet there are many pregnant women who feel they do not want to bring the child into a destitute life do so out of lack of support for abortion and the shaming she would be put through if she made that choice.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

A state doing it right:

Quote:
Colorado teen birthrate drops 40% with low-cost birth control

(CNN) -- One state has found a way to significantly reduce teen pregnancy rates. But is its solution realistic for the rest of the United States?

Colorado's teen birth rate dropped 40% between 2009 and 2013, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment announced this week, in part due to a program that provides long-acting contraception to low-income women.

Colorado's Family Planning Initiative provided funding for 68 family clinics across the state to offer around 30,000 intrauterine devices and implants to young women at low or no cost. An IUD is a small T-shaped device that is inserted into the uterus by a doctor. They're either wrapped in copper or contain hormones, which kill sperm and make the uterine lining too thin for egg implantation. Because IUDs stay in place for five to 10 years, they're easier to comply with than taking daily birth control pills.

An anonymous donor funded the $23 million initiative, which also provided training, outreach and technical assistance to clinics statewide.

[...]

In 2010 alone, Colorado saved $42 million on health care costs associated with teen births, thanks to the program, according to a press release from the governor's office.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/health/colorado-teen-pregnancy/

Another big point that the article doesn't mention, is the Colorado program doesn't require a parent's permission or notification for the teen to get the IUD.

So, with a $23 million donation, they'll probably save 10-12 times that much at least over the life of the program.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
A state doing it right:

Quote:

(CNN) -- One state has found a way to significantly reduce teen pregnancy rates. But is its solution realistic for the rest of the United States?

Colorado's teen birth rate dropped 40% between 2009 and 2013, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment announced this week, in part due to a program that provides long-acting contraception to low-income women.

Colorado's Family Planning Initiative provided funding for 68 family clinics across the state to offer around 30,000 intrauterine devices and implants to young women at low or no cost. An IUD is a small T-shaped device that is inserted into the uterus by a doctor. They're either wrapped in copper or contain hormones, which kill sperm and make the uterine lining too thin for egg implantation. Because IUDs stay in place for five to 10 years, they're easier to comply with than taking daily birth control pills.

An anonymous donor funded the $23 million initiative, which also provided training, outreach and technical assistance to clinics statewide.

[...]

In 2010 alone, Colorado saved $42 million on health care costs associated with teen births, thanks to the program, according to a press release from the governor's office.

Another big point that the article doesn't mention, is the Colorado program doesn't require a parent's permission or notification for the teen to get the IUD.

So, with a $23 million donation, they'll probably save 10-12 times that much at least over the life of the program.

Good idea for teen pregnacy. Do you have a stat for teen STD in Colorado. Has it increased or decreased?

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
A state doing it right:

Quote:

[...]

Good idea for teen pregnacy. Do you have a stat for teen STD in Colorado. Has it increased or decreased?

You might be able to get that information from the CDC's web site. None of the articles around this particular program had that information.

Here's the Denver Post's article with a little more information and a laughable quote from Focus on the Family.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 124 of 888
Jump to: