THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Threatening and then following through on a threat to defund an agency because it won't look the other way on corruption ought to be a crime, but i admit that may not hold true in Texas.

If that was the basis for the charge against Perry, it might be a crime. It isn't, though.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Question to the people that voted for Chairman O ... how happy are you with his performance?
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Question to the people that voted for Chairman O ... how happy are you with his performance?

I look at administrations more in a macro sense, the big picture.

Considering the country was in two wars, and the Great Recession, losing 800K jobs a month, had an unemployment rate of 10%, had four consecutive quarters and five out of six, of negative growth, the stock market had fallen nearly 3000 points, and had a deficit of $1.476T; and now, the deficit has been reduced more ($1.476T - $706B) than any President in history, we have moderate GDP growth, a ~6% unemployment rate, and the stock market has more than doubled, reminds us just how bad things were and how much they're improved.

That Obama honored his promise to insure the withdrawals from Iraq and Afghanistan were complete or near so, that OBL was dropped into the sea, that Syria had relinquished all of their WMD's, which means that any of the scores of local terrorist groups will not get them, that the slaughters of Libyans and Yazidi were mitigated, his foreign policy has been extremely successful.

Social issues have moved forward from gay rights to drug laws. Though Obama has led from behind here, and could have done more sooner, he didn't stand in the way.

What came to the forefront was a battle looming for years, as the first phase of starve the beast (lower taxes and raise the debt to the point that social programs would have to be cut) was completed successfully, as the US was mired with $11.9T of debt at the beginning of Obama's first budget. But Obama fought the implementation of the second phase, the indiscriminate cutting of social programs. He demanded shared sacrifice. If we were going to cut safety net programs that affected those with lower incomes, we were also going to tax those in the upper incomes, those whose income share had risen so dramatically since the 1980's.

Just as with the Financial crisis and the two wars in the Mid East, he didn't bring us this war either. This was the invention of those in and around the Reagan administration, including Alan Greenspan the fan of Ayn Rand. When the Republicans met on inauguration day, Jan 20, 2009, when they said they would fight every program to help boost the economy, they were drawing the battle lines and were ready to escalate this war.

Obama not only held fast, he created Obamacare. This, on one end of the spectrum, with his tax plans on the other, would increase the safety net for the poor and low middle class income earners, and tax those who have profited the most. This approach is more than class envy, it is pragmatic. The country stands a much better chance to bridge the huge gap between the have-mores and the have-nots, which will put more money into the hands of consumers rather than investors, and create the demand so lacking in our economy.

But, there have been costs. He, as with Bill Clinton, had to sell his soul to someone. You don't become President of the United States with just ideas: you need backing. Trade policies and banking policies have been adopted, in a very Republican manner, that benefit the the multinational corporations and Wall Street. This is the new way created by Clinton, the, if-you-can't-beat-them-join-them approach, but this only empowers the plutocracy, so they take their money and their jobs overseas, and they continue with banking shenanigans that most of us only begin to understand.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

2nd Term:

Domestic 7.5/10

Foreign 8/10

Angering racists/ammosexuals/birthers/radical christians/assorted nuts 11/10

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Quote:

I didn't know we had a chairman. I thought we had a President.

Considering all his policies being opposed by right wingers, the Obama must fail group and the shape the country was in when he took office I give him a B.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Quote:

Considering all his policies being opposed by right wingers, the Obama must fail group and the shape the country was in when he took office I give him a B.

eh. He won the election by more than 50% if I'm not mistaken and has a 41% percent approval as recent as last week. Are you trying to say that the same people who voted for him want him to fail?
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

Getting a 7.5-8.0/10 from his blind loyal followers regarding his 2nd term, 12/10.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

No. 17 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Quote:

eh. He won the election by more than 50% if I'm not mistaken and has a 41% percent approval as recent as last week. Are you trying to say that the same people who voted for him want him to fail?

No. I'm sure you've heard about the "Obama must fail" group. Glad to see his approval ratings on the rise. They were in free fall for awhile.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

2nd Term:

Domestic 7.5/10

Foreign 8/10

I will go more out on the limb and predict Obamacare, with some slight fixes, will become accepted, that the majority in the country (~55-60%) will welcome joining the 21st Century. As such, up to this point, when we look back in 10-20 years--not counting the 30% who will hate Obama if he cured cancer:

For economic policy, both terms, I go 8.5.

For foreign policy, I go 9.5

For social policy, including Obamacare, the ARRA, Dodd/Frank, gays in the military and federal rights to gay marriages, Dream kids, and federal minimum wage increase, I go 9.5
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:
blind loyal

Sorry, man...you're going to be angry for a long time. You're going to lose the White House again in 2016 and your platform will be limited to sticking it to strangers on the internet until, conceivably, at least 2020. Until then, I'll be here for you to fine-tune your skills.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
C M B wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

2nd Term:

Domestic 7.5/10

Foreign 8/10

I will go more out on the limb and predict Obamacare, with some slight fixes, will become accepted, that the majority in the country (~55-60%) will welcome joining the 21st Century. As such, up to this point, when we look back in 10-20 years--not counting the 30% who will hate Obama if he cured cancer:

For economic policy, both terms, I go 8.5.

For foreign policy, I go 9.5

For social policy, including Obamacare, the ARRA, Dodd/Frank, gays in the military and federal rights to gay marriages, Dream kids, and federal minimum wage increase, I go 9.5

This

Especially given the intransigence the other side of the isle has shown in the dereliction of their duty to make Government work.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

I look at administrations more in a macro sense, the big picture.

Considering the country was in two wars, and the Great Recession, losing 800K jobs a month, had an unemployment rate of 10%, had four consecutive quarters and five out of six, of negative growth, the stock market had fallen nearly 3000 points, and had a deficit of $1.476T; and now, the deficit has been reduced more ($1.476T - $706B) than any President in history, we have moderate GDP growth, a ~6% unemployment rate, and the stock market has more than doubled, reminds us just how bad things were and how much they're improved.

That Obama honored his promise to insure the withdrawals from Iraq and Afghanistan were complete or near so, that OBL was dropped into the sea, that Syria had relinquished all of their WMD's, which means that any of the scores of local terrorist groups will not get them, that the slaughters of Libyans and Yazidi were mitigated, his foreign policy has been extremely successful.

Social issues have moved forward from gay rights to drug laws. Though Obama has led from behind here, and could have done more sooner, he didn't stand in the way.

What came to the forefront was a battle looming for years, as the first phase of starve the beast (lower taxes and raise the debt to the point that social programs would have to be cut) was completed successfully, as the US was mired with $11.9T of debt at the beginning of Obama's first budget. But Obama fought the implementation of the second phase, the indiscriminate cutting of social programs. He demanded shared sacrifice. If we were going to cut safety net programs that affected those with lower incomes, we were also going to tax those in the upper incomes, those whose income share had risen so dramatically since the 1980's.

Just as with the Financial crisis and the two wars in the Mid East, he didn't bring us this war either. This was the invention of those in and around the Reagan administration, including Alan Greenspan the fan of Ayn Rand. When the Republicans met on inauguration day, Jan 20, 2009, when they said they would fight every program to help boost the economy, they were drawing the battle lines and were ready to escalate this war.

Obama not only held fast, he created Obamacare. This, on one end of the spectrum, with his tax plans on the other, would increase the safety net for the poor and low middle class income earners, and tax those who have profited the most. This approach is more than class envy, it is pragmatic. The country stands a much better chance to bridge the huge gap between the have-mores and the have-nots, which will put more money into the hands of consumers rather than investors, and create the demand so lacking in our economy.

But, there have been costs. He, as with Bill Clinton, had to sell his soul to someone. You don't become President of the United States with just ideas: you need backing. Trade policies and banking policies have been adopted, in a very Republican manner, that benefit the the multinational corporations and Wall Street. This is the new way created by Clinton, the, if-you-can't-beat-them-join-them approach, but this only empowers the plutocracy, so they take their money and their jobs overseas, and they continue with banking shenanigans that most of us only begin to understand.

Great analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the presidency.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

If it hasn't started already, class war is the next civil rights movement. Take wall street was cute, but was symptomatic of a big problem - wage and class disparity. Once the big social issues (pot, gay marriage and, to an extent, obamacare) run out of steam, that's the next social issue for both parties.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:
Getting a 7.5-8.0/10 from his blind loyal followers regarding his 2nd term, 12/10.

Sadly, this seems to be your entire repertoire: pimping demonstrably failed policies as truth, macho posturing, name calling, and trolling. Ironically, in a herd that lived by the rules you espouse from anonymity, you would almost certainly be culled... You have nothing to offer but a match and a bit of petrol. How sad.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

10/10. I'd vote for him 100 more times if I could, if only to piss off guys like you and splash1
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Far better than Stalin Bush.
The real question is, do you believe that Reagan should be deemed a RINO?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
blind loyal

Sorry, man...you're going to be angry for a long time. You're going to lose the White House again in 2016 and your platform will be limited to sticking it to strangers on the internet until, conceivably, at least 2020. Until then, I'll be here for you to fine-tune your skills.

You two are the perfect couple.

I smell an afternoon news and debate show. Maybe call it crossfire 2
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Sadly, this seems to be your entire repertoire: pimping demonstrably failed policies as truth, macho posturing, name calling, and trolling. Ironically, in a herd that lived by the rules you espouse from anonymity, you would almost certainly be culled... You have nothing to offer but a match and a bit of petrol. How sad.

Let's not forget his condescending, self-congratulatory tone that makes Bill O'Reilly seem humble by comparison. Oh and a conspiracy-like, irrational fear of the "liberal agenda" monster. But I guess that goes under the posturing category.

Check under the covers, the liberal agenda monster is gonna get you!! With facts and news!
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Apparently you think this qualifies as offering substantive analysis: "Angering racists/ammosexuals/birthers/radical christians/assorted nuts 11/10"

This appeared just a few posts before the one you are criticizing, and yet I fail to see that you've addressed it.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
24 wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Apparently you think this qualifies as offering substantive analysis: "Angering racists/ammosexuals/birthers/radical christians/assorted nuts 11/10"

What was incorrect about what I said?

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
24 wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

This appeared just a few posts before the one you are criticizing, and yet I fail to see that you've addressed it.

Obviously, there was a bit of snark in that. Besides, this seems to be an afterthought to CMB's main points.

It didn't bother me a bit and yet it really seemed to bother you. Hmmmm.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject:

This is neat, can we get in on this too if we lean North and South?

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/08/holder-cuts-left-in-on-17-billion-bank-of-america-settlement.php
#Avatar-gate
Kazaam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/08/holder-cuts-left-in-on-17-billion-bank-of-america-settlement.php

Posting a link like this will get you laughed at and ridiculed.

Just saying.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

Kazaam wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Just saying.

If the truth hurts, sure. So I want a slushy fund too... know how I can get one?
#Avatar-gate
Kazaam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Kazaam wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Just saying.

If the truth hurts, sure. So I want a slushy fund too... know how I can get one?

yeah... but the answer will definitely be unpopular.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 129 of 888
Jump to: