THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
Alabama, a state that requires a drivers license or special photo ID to vote, has decided to close licensing offices in 8 of the counties with the highest African American populations. James Raven lives.

Is it true though, that the vast majority of those affected by ALL of the closures are white?

Do you know the meaning of "obtuse"?

It was just a question. I had read that somewhere (couldn't find the link). Based on 24's post alone, it would have seemed like they ONLY closed offices in areas with high African American population. But I had read somewhere that they had closed a large number of offices, across a number of counties, because they averaged less than 6 transactions per day.

Just trying to gather all of the facts before throwing down the racism hammer ya know?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
C M B wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
Alabama, a state that requires a drivers license or special photo ID to vote, has decided to close licensing offices in 8 of the counties with the highest African American populations. James Raven lives.

Is it true though, that the vast majority of those affected by ALL of the closures are white?

It was just a question. I had read that somewhere (couldn't find the link). Based on 24's post alone, it would have seemed like they ONLY closed offices in areas with high African American population. But I had read somewhere that they had closed a large number of offices, across a number of counties, because they averaged less than 6 transactions per day.

Just trying to gather all of the facts before throwing down the racism hammer ya know?

You just love to misrepresent what people actually said to try and serve your purposes. Especially when called on your disingenuous BS.

Nothing in the statement "Alabama, a state that requires a drivers license or special photo ID to vote, has decided to close licensing offices in 8 of the counties with the highest African American populations" even remotely implies that those were the only closings
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
C M B wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

You just love to misrepresent what people actually said to try and serve your purposes. Especially when called on your disingenuous BS.

Nothing in the statement "Alabama, a state that requires a drivers license or special photo ID to vote, has decided to close licensing offices in 8 of the counties with the highest African American populations" even remotely implies that those were the only closings

That was the first I'd heard of it. When I first read it, I thought wow, that's messed up, they're trying to manipulate voter turnout by closing the offices these people need, in order to vote.

So I looked it up. Doesn't seem like the conclusion I had initially drawn is the case at all. Right? Looks like I may have jumped the gun there.
Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Laker4andmore wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
The Arab Spring wasn't that long ago. Reporters on the ground were reporting the above information in real time from the field. That was before the media had time to spin it. But you had to be paying attention in real time to remember that.

There is a difference between people protesting and people fighting in a war. The vast majority of the fighters in Syria are from foreign countries (Saudi Arabia).

Dependant on the agenda of the bloodlines of the city of london corporation, this group of foreign fighers gets labeled as terrorists or rebels (freedom fighters) like when Bin laden/al qaeda was fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 80s

I won't pretend to say I know about all of the groups fighting, their goals, or their citizenship, but, somehow, you do. So, considering such familiarity with all of the adversarial anti Assad fighters (the following being only the non-jihadist groups among those groups fighting Assad), just how do you know who is in all of the following groups and what are their motives?

Syrian Revolutionary Command Council
Free Syrian Army
Southern Front
Syria Revolutionaries Front
Jarabulus Brigade
Al-Qassas Army
Liwa Thuwwar al-Raqqa[55]
Jihad in the Path of God Brigade[56]
Dawn of Freedom Brigades
Northern Sun Battalion[57]
Knights of Justice Brigade
Thuwar al-Sham Battalions[58]
Homs/Hama Liberation Movement[59][60]
Harakat Tahrir[61]
Shields of the Revolution Council
Falcons of al-Ghab
101st Division
13th Division
16th Division[62][63]
46th Division[64][65]
111th Division[66][67]
Jabhat Ansar al-Islam
Falcons of Mount Zawiya Brigade
1st Infantry Brigade
1st Coastal Division
al-Rahman Legion
Farouq Brigades
New Syrian Forces (30th Division)[68][69]
Allied armed groups:
Islamic Front
Ahrar ash-Sham
Jaysh al-Islam
Al-Tawhid Brigade
Al-Fawj al-Awal[70]
Northern Storm Brigade
Ansar al-Sham
Junud al-Sham
Abu Amara Battalions[71]
Abu Jaafar Battalion[71]
Liwa al-Fatah[72]
Liwa Usud al-Jadoor[73]
Army of Mujahedeen
Authenticity and Development Front
Jaysh Usud al-Sharqiya
Harakat Nour al-Din al-Zenki
Fastaqim Kama Umirt
Ajnad al-Sham Islamic Union[74]
Sham Legion[75]
Criterion Brigades
Mustafa Martyrs Brigade
Syrian Turkmen Brigades
Sultan Murad Brigade
Sultan Mohamed Fatah Brigade
Muslim Brotherhood of Syria[76]
Hamas[77][78]
Joint operations rooms:
Army of Conquest
Battle of Victory[79][80]
Euphrates Volcano
Jaysh al-Thuwar
Jaish al-Salam[81][82]
Unified Military Command of Eastern Ghouta[83][84]
Unnamed Jaysh al- Islam/al- Rahman Legion joint operations room[85][86]
Fatah Halab[87][88]
Ansar al-Sharia[89]
Jaish al-Haramoun[90]
Saraya Ahl al-Sham[91]
Itisam bi Allah[92]
Jaysh al-Nasr[93][94][95][96]
Jaysh al-Tawheed[97][98]
Labbayki Ya Oktah[99][100]
Jaysh Omar[101]

These all from the "useless" and "non-informative" Wikipedia.

"I won't pretend to say I know about all of the groups fighting, their goals, or their citizenship,"

Well then how can you dispute my point? lol

Very few of those groups that you listed are involved in actual fighting.

I also noticed that Al Qaeda wasnt listed.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject:

Laker4andmore wrote:

"I won't pretend to say I know about all of the groups fighting, their goals, or their citizenship,"

Well then how can you dispute my point? lol

Very few of those groups that you listed are involved in actual fighting.

I also noticed that Al Qaeda wasnt listed.

Because, as I stated, these are the non-jihadist Syrian opposition groups.

Where is it that you get your information?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
C M B wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

That was the first I'd heard of it. When I first read it, I thought wow, that's messed up, they're trying to manipulate voter turnout by closing the offices these people need, in order to vote.

So I looked it up. Doesn't seem like the conclusion I had initially drawn is the case at all. Right? Looks like I may have jumped the gun there.

That would make sense if it were the total picture. But it isnt. They are closing a few unused offices in white areas (mostly because the white population is using other nearby offices that are more convenient, and there is more redundancy and overlap for them), but closing high volume offices in black areas (where there are already less offices per population), causing those people to have to travel to farther, less convenient locations, and overcrowding them.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
C M B wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

That would make sense if it were the total picture. But it isnt. They are closing a few unused offices in white areas (mostly because the white population is using other nearby offices that are more convenient, and there is more redundancy and overlap for them), but closing high volume offices in black areas (where there are already less offices per population), causing those people to have to travel to farther, less convenient locations, and overcrowding them.

I didn't read the offices were "high volume". I had read the opposite. That every office closed, did less than 6 transactions on average per calendar day. Is this not true?

Also, how is this related to voting? The DMV isn't the only office where voter IDs are issued are they? I was under the impression you could get them from your county office but I could be wrong.
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Also, how is this related to voting? The DMV isn't the only office where voter IDs are issued are they? I was under the impression you could get them from your county office but I could be wrong.

You must apply for your standard Alabama ID card or STAR ID card in person at a local DPS office.

The Alabama DPS does not schedule appointments for ID card applications.

http://www.dmv.org/al-alabama/id-cards.php
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
C M B wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

I didn't read the offices were "high volume". I had read the opposite. That every office closed, did less than 6 transactions on average per calendar day. Is this not true?

Only some closures are low volume offices. And the dmv is the only place to get the drivers license or approved picture I'd required to vote in alabama.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

Fwiw, you read about the low volume offices because that's the pr spin to cover the high volume closures.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
C M B wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

Only some closures are low volume offices. And the dmv is the only place to get the drivers license or approved picture I'd required to vote in alabama.

I had read ALL of the closures are low volume. Again, around 5.5 transactions per calendar day. I'm assuming of course, that 5.5 transactions per day is "low volume".

And according to the State of Alabama's Election site, the DMV isn't the only place. Maybe they need to update their website? Because they state on there you can get your photo voter ID card from your county Board of Registrars office and it sounds like they are offering mobile ID options as well for those who can't get there.

Quote:
If a voter does not have one of the approved forms of photo ID as stated in the law, then he or she may receive a free Alabama photo voter ID from various locations including the Secretary of State's Office, local county board of registrars' offices, and a mobile location to be determined by the Secretary of State's Office.

http://www.alabamavotes.gov/VoterID.aspx?m=voters
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Fwiw, you read about the low volume offices because that's the pr spin to cover the high volume closures.

PR spin? If it were untrue, then it would be a flat out lie.

Quote:
ALEA says an analysis shows transactions performed in each of the 31 locations they are closing accounted for less than 5% of Alabama Driver License transactions performed. The busiest of the locations performed less than 2,000 transactions in 2014.

http://whnt.com/2015/09/30/alea-announces-driver-license-office-closures-includes-two-in-north-alabama/
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
C M B wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

I had read ALL of the closures are low volume. Again, around 5.5 transactions per calendar day. I'm assuming of course, that 5.5 transactions per day is "low volume".

And according to the State of Alabama's Election site, the DMV isn't the only place. Maybe they need to update their website? Because they state on there you can get your photo voter ID card from your county Board of Registrars office and it sounds like they are offering mobile ID options as well for those who can't get there.

Quote:
If a voter does not have one of the approved forms of photo ID as stated in the law, then he or she may receive a free Alabama photo voter ID from various locations including the Secretary of State's Office, local county board of registrars' offices, and a mobile location to be determined by the Secretary of State's Office.

Sorry, meant to say effectively. None of those resources are widely available or available at all in most locales. I mean, you can go line up at the secretary of state office in the capitol, but that's not very practical.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

You are a better person than me. I can't humor people who are intellectually dishonest. It's one thing to not know or understand. But the person you are debating with FULLY understands voter suppression and the tactics being used to keep people from voting, but doesn't want to own the fact that he agrees with it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
24 wrote:

You are a better person than me. I can't humor people who are intellectually dishonest. It's one thing to not know or understand. But the person you are debating with FULLY understands voter suppression and the tactics being used to keep people from voting, but doesn't want to own the fact that he agrees with it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
C M B wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

Quote:

Sorry, meant to say effectively. None of those resources are widely available or available at all in most locales. I mean, you can go line up at the secretary of state office in the capitol, but that's not very practical.

There's a Board of Registrar's office in EVERY county.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
24 wrote:

The purpose of responding is that there are others who may not know and may think that is a legitimate argument.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
24 wrote:

The purpose of responding is that there are others who may not know and may think that is a legitimate argument.

All he's doing is playing Duck Duck Goose with you.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
24 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
24 wrote:

All he's doing is playing Duck Duck Goose with you.

Of course he is. But hopefully, the response highlights that fact.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
24 wrote:

I admire 24's attempt to fight the good fight against a troll. I certainly don't have the energy to put into a conversation with someone who has never been interested in an honest discourse. The only true combat for a troll is starvation.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
24 wrote:

Here's the thing that gets me about "moral crusaders". And you see a lot of it here, but just about everywhere.

It's this, epidemic of people in the majority to overextend in order to show just how open-minded and/or tolerant they are of others. When overdone, it gets to a point where, as a minority (as I am), it sometimes feels like "hey, look at what I'm doing because what I am doing shows how OK I am with your kind and others." It's leveraging minorities or other under-represented groups as a prop for one's own social benefit.

Common traits? Overuse of the terms "racist" and "bigot". Displaying too much outrage (often manufactured) at events and occurrences that don't ultimately impact them. Other things include: Posting pictures on social media picturing themselves with some minority or other disadvantaged group. A common one is picture of oneself with poor or sick minority children, and if they are foreign, then even better. Another trait is when a person, from any "group", frequently puts down their own "group" in front of others as if to say "see, see, look what I did there, I'm open-minded guys." It's like when a coach has to coach their own kid and so they are more strict/punishing/whatever toward their own, to show everyone else that they aren't playing favorites.

So believe me -- as a mixed race person of TWO minority ethnicities, I know the difference between racism and ignorance while moral crusaders often do not. I'm well aware that I can come off as snippy, obtuse and/or difficult. Frankly, it's just because I'm getting a little tired of being propped.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
24 wrote:

I admire 24's attempt to fight the good fight against a troll. I certainly don't have the energy to put into a conversation with someone who has never been interested in an honest discourse. The only true combat for a troll is starvation.

Do you honestly believe that there is ANY discourse that can be had, as it relates to the Alabama DMV office closures, that could be considered both honest and opposing?

I've asked two simple questions and instead of getting answers, I've been called a troll.

1) How can the office closures suppress voters, when a voter can just go to their Board of Registrar's office and get a free voter ID card?

2) 24 is calling some of these offices "high volume" while what I've read in the media is stating that the busiest of the offices being closed does less than 5.5 transactions per calendar day.

Is that not worth diving in to, because it doesn't fit one's "look at me, I'm saving the world" agenda?
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

Like light hitting a vampire at the crack of dawn...
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
24 wrote:

Do you honestly believe that there is ANY discourse that can be had, as it relates to the Alabama DMV office closures, that could be considered both honest and opposing?

I've asked two simple questions and instead of getting answers, I've been called a troll.

1) How can the office closures suppress voters, when a voter can just go to their Board of Registrar's office and get a free voter ID card?

2) 24 is calling some of these offices "high volume" while what I've read in the media is stating that the busiest of the offices being closed does less than 5.5 transactions per calendar day.

Is that not worth diving in to, because it doesn't fit one's "look at me, I'm saving the world" agenda?

You do know at some point the entire Mod staff will have had enough and you will be voted off the island, right? The only reason it's not happening now is that we are actively engaged with you in this and other threads and we therefore take ourselves out the moderation loop. But eventually, that won't be the case.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
24 wrote:

You do know at some point the entire Mod staff will have had enough and you will be voted off the island, right? The only reason it's not happening now is that we are actively engaged with you in this and other threads and we therefore take ourselves out the moderation loop. But eventually, that won't be the case.

What should I have done differently, as it relates to the Alabama office closures? Just nodded my head in agreement?

I'm reading different things than what 24 is claiming. Should I not post them? Shall I accept what a mod says as gospel?

I don't name call. I don't ever bypass the swear filters. I'm providing URLs for all of the stuff I'm reading.

Is it my style? Should I be softer?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 210 of 888
Jump to: