jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:
I liked it, main protagonist was very weak though imo.

Coulson? I thought Coulson was great, as per usual. The new stereotypical tough, loner guy was weak though, so maybe you meant him? Whedon has a tendency to turn stereotypes on their head in amusing ways though, so I'm holding out hope for him yet.

Let's hope so. Whedon is the only thing giving me hope for this show. I thought all the characters except for Coulson were overused cliches:

1) Tall, humorless "I could kill you with just my thumb" super agent who's not a team player.
2) Quirky, sarcastic hacker girl.
3) Quiet Asian martial arts expert.
4) British super genius tech-support guy.

With "Firefley", Whedon had a terrific theme and group of actors to work with but Fox hit the panic button after some low ratings and bailed too quickly. I'm not certain Whedon has even a good theme or group of actors with this series, but what he probably does have is the backing of ABC/Disney because S.H.I.E.L.D.'s ties into their successful Marvel franchise and Whedon's own success with them. They'll probably give him a lot more time to try and develop this show than he got with Fox.

One thing I've always enjoyed about Whedon's shows is his ability to create chemistry and clever dialogue between his characters. There was some of it last night, between Coulson and Ward but not a whole lot from the other characters.

Did anyone else roll their eyes when government agent Coulson was more concerned about Mike's son "losing his father" than he was about stopping this guy from going on a rampage and exploding in public?

100% agree with everything you said.

And yes, the "losing a father" concern was weird.

Agreed. Hard to compare to Firefly though since it doesn't have Nathan (bleep) Fillion.
TheGood83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Is it possible that this show is getting stupider with each passing episode? Do they really expect us to believe that a life raft can plug up a hole of a flying airplane? Come on!

Who is the main character? If it's Coulson, I'm still hesitant to get behind him because the show still hasn't definitively told us if it's the "real" Coulson. Is it Skye? This one dimensional hot girl who can do nerdy things still hasn't revealed her motives to anyone, including the audience. Is it the "good looking" dude? I can't even remember his name. Just piss poor execution from a supposed great show runner. They're going to need 5 cameos per episode to save this train wreck, maybe more.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject:

They need to go darker.. and they need to be less of a cliche. It's too kitch/goofy and predictable right now. Audiences, especially TV audiences watching shows in prime time are too smart for recycled plots. The show is thriving right now on the hype of being the first Marvel TV shows and all the Avengers fans following along. However, that won't last forever.

Also, while I like Coulsen, the show is missing a true star that pulls you to the show. I don't see any of the current actors being that person, yet. If I was imagining the show, I would think 24 meets Marvel comics. Keep the humor out.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
TheGood83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I completely agree. Audiences who are seeking scripted TV shows are seeking edgier content. Gone are the days where arcs are completed in one episode and almost forgotten by the next. We've been spoiled by shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, and almost expect a drama to effect us emotionally in a similar manner. Network TV should follow suit, and join the trend of edgier content. If I want to see funny stupid crap, I'll watch Duck Dynasty or a plethora of other reality shows that fulfill that need.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it's going to get that edgy. This is likely targeted to a family audience. It's not Breaking Bad. It's not even Lost. It's more like No Ordinary Family or Heroes but with more name recognition.

Though Heroes did try to get edgy, it turned out dumb.

I'm still going to give Whedon some time. His shows normally take a few episodes to start flowing. They tend to be more about characters than plot.

We'll see what he does with these characters.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Certainly there is plenty of room for improvement, but I have enjoyed the first two episodes.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject:

Feels like a Saturday morning kids show.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I don't think it's going to get that edgy. This is likely targeted to a family audience. It's not Breaking Bad. It's not even Lost. It's more like No Ordinary Family or Heroes but with more name recognition.

Though Heroes did try to get edgy, it turned out dumb.

I'm still going to give Whedon some time. His shows normally take a few episodes to start flowing. They tend to be more about characters than plot.

We'll see what he does with these characters.

Heroes was nothing like AoS or No Ordinary Family. What the? Those two are family shows. From the outset Heroes was serious, edgy and even part horror. They may have lost their way in the middle seasons, but one thing you can say about the show is that it could never be mistaken for a Saturday morning kids show.

Heroes is what I had hoped AoS would be. The show just isn't serious enough. Not only are they vastly different in tones, but one's a procedural while the other was a serial. Comparing the two shows at this point is like comparing Power Rangers to The Wire in terms of the tone of the shows.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject:

The show is too corny.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject:

They just need gratuitous sex and violence scenes as well as 1000% more cursing. Oh that's just any hbo show.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
They need to go darker.. and they need to be less of a cliche. It's too kitch/goofy and predictable right now. Audiences, especially TV audiences watching shows in prime time are too smart for recycled plots. The show is thriving right now on the hype of being the first Marvel TV shows and all the Avengers fans following along. However, that won't last forever.

Also, while I like Coulsen, the show is missing a true star that pulls you to the show. I don't see any of the current actors being that person, yet. If I was imagining the show, I would think 24 meets Marvel comics. Keep the humor out.

I agree with everything. As I said previously, this is a typical ABC action/spy drama with Marvel branding.

The second episode was even worse than the pilot. Even Sam Jackson's cameo at the end was lame. I can't tell if it was bad directing or Sam's heart wasn't in it.

They're going to have to make a casting decision soon if they hope to survive past the first season. I'm sure ABC is giving Whedon some slack, but the general reviews of the show are weak. Even die-hard Marvel fans seemed to abandon it after the disappointing pilot. Clark Gregg can't carry this show based on a couple one-liners and the rest of the cast has no standouts. As far as I'm concerned, they can kill off every one of them.

TheGood83 wrote:
I completely agree. Audiences who are seeking scripted TV shows are seeking edgier content. Gone are the days where arcs are completed in one episode and almost forgotten by the next. We've been spoiled by shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, and almost expect a drama to effect us emotionally in a similar manner. Network TV should follow suit, and join the trend of edgier content. If I want to see funny stupid crap, I'll watch Duck Dynasty or a plethora of other reality shows that fulfill that need.

Agree with this as well, although when it comes to "edgier" we're talking about ABC/Disney here.

They have a wealth of source material from Avengers and the comics to create storylines from. The last episode featured a device created from the Teseract so you can work in Hydra (S.H.I.E.L.D.'s arch-nemesis) and all their associated characters like Madame Hydra/Viper. This show desperately needs a hot character like her.
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Lots of new mysteries.

Skye's character and story is getting interesting.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
Lots of new mysteries.

She stole the show, she's by far the most fun character. Not to mention hot.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Glad I stuck with the show. Still not on the level of Buffy or Firefly (tall, tall orders) but it has been consistently entertaining and has been stronger recently.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:
Lots of new mysteries.

She stole the show, she's by far the most fun character. Not to mention hot.

I love her . I need to find a girl like that lol
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

At this point the Arrow is better than this but I'm still sticking with it. Looks like Stan Lee is going to make an appearance.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

Another spin off Agent Carter:
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/24/will-agent-carter-be-more-marvelous-than-marvels-a.aspx

The show is bleeding viewers:
However, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD hasn't been a huge success, with viewers dropping from 12.1 million for its premiere to 6.4 million in its most recent episode on Jan. 14. The show was hit and miss over most of the past 12 episodes, and has often been criticized as being too detached from the Marvel universe seen in the films.

I am dissappointed too, initially thought there will be alot of tie in with current movies etc. But instead nothing.

The show concept should be character driven. For example a couple episode on Captain American, or Thor etc.

They need to set a new direction, or it will get cancelled after this season.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
Another spin off Agent Carter:
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/24/will-agent-carter-be-more-marvelous-than-marvels-a.aspx

The show is bleeding viewers:
However, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD hasn't been a huge success, with viewers dropping from 12.1 million for its premiere to 6.4 million in its most recent episode on Jan. 14. The show was hit and miss over most of the past 12 episodes, and has often been criticized as being too detached from the Marvel universe seen in the films.

I am dissappointed too, initially thought there will be alot of tie in with current movies etc. But instead nothing.

The show concept should be character driven. For example a couple episode on Captain American, or Thor etc.

They need to set a new direction, or it will get cancelled after this season.

They wanted to be ambitious in having a TV show that could hold its own without the need to resort to tie-in rescues. It's still possible but the writing and character development has been ineffective.

Though I wouldn't mind the Agent Carter spinoff.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
gildedgirth
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Wow. I had no idea this was a Joss Whedon show. The pilot seemed so bland, that I gave up.

I found this thread and found out that Whedon is behind the show. Maybe I should give it another chance, but I hear mixed things about it.

What happened? I basically love everything Whedon did from Buffy to even Dollhouse (yes, I thought it rocked if you watch the DVD release).

Looking at Wikipedia, Whedon and his cohorts (writers from his other projects) are all involved in the show. I didn't get the usual sense of Whedon-esque twists in the pilot (and interesting characters).
bodyrock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I stopped watching this disney style tv show after the 2nd episode.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/17/jaimie-alexander-guest-starring-as-thors-lady-sif-on-marvels-agents-of-shield

Quote:
At the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour today, ABC president Paul Lee revealed a notable guest star from the Marvel movies is coming to Marvel's Agents of SHIELD in the form of Jaimie Alexander, who will reprise her role as Lady Sif, the Asgardian warrior she's played in Thor and Thor: The Dark World.

Alexander is filming her guest role right now, for the 15th episode of SHIELD's first season. Her guest appearance will mark the first time a non-SHIELD agent character first introduced in the films is showing up on SHIELD (Cobie Smulders, Maximiliano Hernández and Samuel L. Jackson have appeared on the series so far) and she's also the first superpowered character from the films to guest star.

My. body. is. ready.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/17/jaimie-alexander-guest-starring-as-thors-lady-sif-on-marvels-agents-of-shield

Quote:
At the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour today, ABC president Paul Lee revealed a notable guest star from the Marvel movies is coming to Marvel's Agents of SHIELD in the form of Jaimie Alexander, who will reprise her role as Lady Sif, the Asgardian warrior she's played in Thor and Thor: The Dark World.

Alexander is filming her guest role right now, for the 15th episode of SHIELD's first season. Her guest appearance will mark the first time a non-SHIELD agent character first introduced in the films is showing up on SHIELD (Cobie Smulders, Maximiliano Hernández and Samuel L. Jackson have appeared on the series so far) and she's also the first superpowered character from the films to guest star.

My. body. is. ready.

If it's as bland as Nick Fury's cameo expect your body to be disappointed.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Quote:

My. body. is. ready.

If it's as bland as Nick Fury's cameo expect your body to be disappointed.

Doubtful. Just a brief glimpse is enough.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Im a huge fan of comics and CBM's and Ive never watched this show. I heard rumors that they are bringing Dethlok to the series. I might watch if they do.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

The show started off kind of corny. Like it was trying to appeal to younger family members, so it was toned down.

The way the team was put together was kind of weird. This super government agency taking on this hacker criminal girl like it's no big deal?

But as the show goes on, and more is revealed about Sky, there might be some sense into why she was allowed on the team. When those things come together is may make a little more sense.

I can see the chemistry starting to build in the dialog. It's not quite a Whedon's normal levels though.

I think what they really need is a smart-ass character. Someone that is kind of like what Xander was in Buffy. Sky could have been that character, but her comic timing isn't there. She's not exactly that strong of an actress.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 2 of 20
Jump to: