Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Discuss.

Last edited by Lonzo-Lite on Tue May 01, 2018 5:42 am; edited 8 times in total
TheGood83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Not really digging it, but I will give it until the end of the first season to make a final decision.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Fan boys will love it because we pretty much will watch anything comic book related. So yea, I liked it. However, I can tell the difference between a show which appeals to comic geeks like me versus ones that appeal to everyone. It's the difference between the first season of Heroes and each season thereafter. I don't expect the show to lost.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Primetime Network TV

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Rather dull and formulaic ABC-style action drama wrapped in a Marvel outer shell. I enjoy a good Agent Carlson one-liner as much as the next Marvel movie fan, but I'm not sure that's enough to save this show.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject:

I liked it. Not sure how long it can go, however.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject:

I was confused near the end. Without spoiling it, I was completely confused during a standoff...like why are they happy? lol
Naf_srekaL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Because they didn't kill him, they found a third option which "cooled" the guy off. You could tell from the blue flashes on his face.

Also - yea, didn't think much of this pilot. Here's to hoping it gets better.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Pilot was kind of meh.

But I normally dont judge a show on the pilot. Pilots have a lot to do besides just moving the plot along. It has to introduce the characters, the organization, fill in a little back story to introduce the world, set up the series antagonists, etc...

I also thought that the Sky chick and the main tough guy agent were kind of weak actors.
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject:

I liked it, main protagonist was very weak though imo.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject:

ChrisCrossed wrote:

Coulson? I thought Coulson was great, as per usual. The new stereotypical tough, loner guy was weak though, so maybe you meant him? Whedon has a tendency to turn stereotypes on their head in amusing ways though, so I'm holding out hope for him yet.
TheGood83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Pilot was kind of meh.

But I normally dont judge a show on the pilot. Pilots have a lot to do besides just moving the plot along. It has to introduce the characters, the organization, fill in a little back story to introduce the world, set up the series antagonists, etc...

I also thought that the Sky chick and the main tough guy agent were kind of weak actors.

I thought Chloe Bennet stole the show, but I really don't think that was their intention. No one else was really memorable. I guess I just have a soft spot for hot women who do nerdy unrealistic things
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject:

I GIVE IT A 10!!!
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject:

I thought it was okay, it wasn't bad, but at the same time it wasn't amazing either. The mentality of the Father put me off a little bit because of the stupidity, the whole mindset of 'I'm a victim with superpowers, therefore I'm a Superhero and I can kill an innocent man and get off free' put a damper on the show for me. The two scientists also seemed a little exaggerated, at least for my taste and for a show about Government Agents, the show just seems a little too lighthearted. A little bit of darkness could give this show a bit of a boost IMO, but then again, it is broadcasted on ABC.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:

Coulson? I thought Coulson was great, as per usual. The new stereotypical tough, loner guy was weak though, so maybe you meant him? Whedon has a tendency to turn stereotypes on their head in amusing ways though, so I'm holding out hope for him yet.

Let's hope so. Whedon is the only thing giving me hope for this show. I thought all the characters except for Coulson were overused cliches:

1) Tall, humorless "I could kill you with just my thumb" super agent who's not a team player.
2) Quirky, sarcastic hacker girl.
3) Quiet Asian martial arts expert.
4) British super genius tech-support guy.

With "Firefley", Whedon had a terrific theme and group of actors to work with but Fox hit the panic button after some low ratings and bailed too quickly. I'm not certain Whedon has even a good theme or group of actors with this series, but what he probably does have is the backing of ABC/Disney because S.H.I.E.L.D.'s ties into their successful Marvel franchise and Whedon's own success with them. They'll probably give him a lot more time to try and develop this show than he got with Fox.

One thing I've always enjoyed about Whedon's shows is his ability to create chemistry and clever dialogue between his characters. There was some of it last night, between Coulson and Ward but not a whole lot from the other characters.

Did anyone else roll their eyes when government agent Coulson was more concerned about Mike's son "losing his father" than he was about stopping this guy from going on a rampage and exploding in public?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject:

Too bad it's on national TV. If you could add HBO sensabilities and drama to it...with the foul language and all, maybe.

Was enjoyable, but so far, I give it a 6.5 out of 10.
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:

Oh no Coulson was the star of that episode, I actually meant the whole cliched super tough guy agent, Wade I think his name was. Sorry should have been more specific.

Edit: Ward, there we go - his character was just ugh to me. Its like a lesser version of Fury and Widow.
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject:

Liked:

- Agent Coulson, he's the driving force of the show. He has the best lines for sure.

- Agent May, I wish more of the Agents were like her. She's not trying to be funny, just real SHIELD serious.

- Agent Ward, I liked him in the beginning, but he started getting "silly" toward the end when he would be around Sky.

- Continuity, this show takes place after Avengers but around the same time as Iron Man 3 and the Extremis. I also enjoyed all the comic book references.

Not Like:

- Sky, Chloe Bennet's character annoys me. Her dry humor seems a little too much.

- Unknown Supers, what's going to keep me watching this show is going to be cameos of other established Marvel superhero and not just some regular guy who got superpowers.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
ChrisCrossed wrote:

Let's hope so. Whedon is the only thing giving me hope for this show. I thought all the characters except for Coulson were overused cliches:

1) Tall, humorless "I could kill you with just my thumb" super agent who's not a team player.
2) Quirky, sarcastic hacker girl.
3) Quiet Asian martial arts expert.
4) British super genius tech-support guy.

With "Firefley", Whedon had a terrific theme and group of actors to work with but Fox hit the panic button after some low ratings and bailed too quickly. I'm not certain Whedon has even a good theme or group of actors with this series, but what he probably does have is the backing of ABC/Disney because S.H.I.E.L.D.'s ties into their successful Marvel franchise and Whedon's own success with them. They'll probably give him a lot more time to try and develop this show than he got with Fox.

One thing I've always enjoyed about Whedon's shows is his ability to create chemistry and clever dialogue between his characters. There was some of it last night, between Coulson and Ward but not a whole lot from the other characters.

Did anyone else roll their eyes when government agent Coulson was more concerned about Mike's son "losing his father" than he was about stopping this guy from going on a rampage and exploding in public?

100% agree with everything you said.

And yes, the "losing a father" concern was weird.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject:

The casting killed it for me. I actually liked Sky and Agent May but the others are very forgettable. Really dislike the two scientists.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject:

Marvel REALLY has their hands tied behind their back because of the lack of the ability to make mention of "mutants"
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
Marvel REALLY has their hands tied behind their back because of the lack of the ability to make mention of "mutants"

They can't mention the x-men or any characters from the x-men, but I am not sure that extends to the word "mutants."

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject:

As something to watch with my 10 year old son, it was OK.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Its on my dvr.

Im expecting a dud though.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:

Not Like:

- Unknown Supers, what's going to keep me watching this show is going to be cameos of other established Marvel superhero and not just some regular guy who got superpowers.

Who knows? Maybe this show could serve as a way to introduce other Marvel universe characters who might not otherwise be able to carry a summer blockbuster movie kind of like what WB does with Arrow and Smallville.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20
Jump to: