Magic Johnson leaving ESPN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
salami wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
He was actually too objective and unbiased.

He was an ESPN shill.

C'mon Man!

if ESPN was writing the script, the LeBronwould triumph over a choking Kobe in the finals, Tim Tebow would lead a team to a superbowl victory, and the Red Sox and Yankees would alternate titles every year. ESPN loves LeBron and they love the big markets on the EasCoast.

FIFY

I don't think so. Espn was in heaven when LeBron fizzled out in some of those playoff runs.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject:

http://deadspin.com/sources-magic-johnson-left-espn-because-of-bill-simmon-1443543687

Sauces say self-important Chowderhead drove out the Magic man.

!...
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Simmons over Wilbon?? Simmons can be very dull. He has to be guided along on every topic to get him to the spot were he adds as the opinionated commentary guy. As a third or fourth seat he is fine, as 'The Show' it's not for my taste. Bias is fine too, same way Magic can be. The call for either guy to be neutral is nonsense, they are there for color and opine. Stir the pots. Just find Simmons as the "lead" to be a bad call.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Wilbon was meh. That whole panel was meh. (bleep) that, Espn's basketball coverage in general is meh.

!...
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Wilbon was meh. That whole panel was meh. (bleep) that, Espn's basketball coverage in general is meh.

... I think we all get tired/bored with the same panels after while.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

... I think we all get tired/bored with the same panels after while.

Except they were bad from the start. IMO of course.

!...
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
salami wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
salami wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
salami wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
LG sources, AKA Larry Coon.

Good, it was painful to hear him lick Lebron's ass. Just classless and ridiculous.

If you dont agree with his commentary, thats one thing but it would be nice if you respect what he did for the Lakers and give him the courtesy of being civil when talking about one of the best ever to wear the purple and gold.

No

I don't care what he did as a player, I judge him as a commentator and he failed dramatically at that.

You are putting more value on talk over accomplishments. Its fine to disagree with his opinion, but for anyone to call themselves a Laker fan then say disgusting things about one of the greatest Lakers of all time makes me question intelligence and character.

Magic represented the Lakers with pride and honor on and off the court. He has earned a pass to have an opinion without his Laker fanbase saying disgusting things about him over it.

No, I'm putting all value on talk. He worked as an analyst and he's judged as one. If he played hockey, nobody would give him a pass for being a basketball legend, they'd judge him as a hockey player. Same here. I don't care what he did as a player, I love and respect and admire him for all he did, but when I talk about Magic as an analyst I judge him as one.

And don't make it personal by saying "Its fine to disagree with his opinion, but for anyone to call themselves a Laker fan then say disgusting things about one of the greatest Lakers of all time makes me question intelligence and character." Disagree with the post, not the poster. Keep the personal drama to yourself.

I was speaking in generalities and never made it personal to anyone. But for someone to go on a Laker fan site and say something like "Magic licks Lebron's anus" in any context and then be surprised when there is backlash shows questionable logic.

You need to watch this and educate yourself on how great Magic was

and the role he played in Laker greatness, then consider editing your post.

I just watched the video, I did not intend on watching the complete video after I saw that it was more than a few min. but I could not stop myself from enjoying the complete video. Chick and Magic were great together.
I am old and saw the Lakers of the eighties....but to watch Magic is like poetry in motion, no one that has ever played could do what Magic did. We can talk about all the so called great athletes of today, but what Magic could do is off the charts. Nobody could push the ball like Magic and still be under control and at 6'9", damm, I miss showtime.

This vid, dang. Just so exciting. Passing seems so dull today by comparison, even good passing like Nash's behind the back. That clip makes it seem that every possession you had no idea what was coming next, everybody running like cheetahs. Amazing. Dont think Ive ever seen a passer that good in the last ten years.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject:

salami wrote:

What a great great video.

4:47

Greatest to ever play the game, hands down.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
salami wrote:

What a great great video.

4:47

Greatest to ever play the game, hands down.

.......For those of us that were fortunate enough to enjoy the Lakers of the eighties, so understand how great Magic was. Watching any other era is boring in comparison. Add Larry Bird to the mix and it was quite a ride. Two players that played like veterans the first time they stepped on an NBA court. In fact Magic winning the finals MVP as a 20 yr. rookie is absolutely incredible.
I happen to agree with you, Magic was the Greatest to ever play the game, hands down.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Voices wrote:
salami wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
salami wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
salami wrote:
George the Greek wrote:
LG sources, AKA Larry Coon.

Good, it was painful to hear him lick Lebron's ass. Just classless and ridiculous.

If you dont agree with his commentary, thats one thing but it would be nice if you respect what he did for the Lakers and give him the courtesy of being civil when talking about one of the best ever to wear the purple and gold.

No

I don't care what he did as a player, I judge him as a commentator and he failed dramatically at that.

You are putting more value on talk over accomplishments. Its fine to disagree with his opinion, but for anyone to call themselves a Laker fan then say disgusting things about one of the greatest Lakers of all time makes me question intelligence and character.

Magic represented the Lakers with pride and honor on and off the court. He has earned a pass to have an opinion without his Laker fanbase saying disgusting things about him over it.

No, I'm putting all value on talk. He worked as an analyst and he's judged as one. If he played hockey, nobody would give him a pass for being a basketball legend, they'd judge him as a hockey player. Same here. I don't care what he did as a player, I love and respect and admire him for all he did, but when I talk about Magic as an analyst I judge him as one.

And don't make it personal by saying "Its fine to disagree with his opinion, but for anyone to call themselves a Laker fan then say disgusting things about one of the greatest Lakers of all time makes me question intelligence and character." Disagree with the post, not the poster. Keep the personal drama to yourself.

I was speaking in generalities and never made it personal to anyone. But for someone to go on a Laker fan site and say something like "Magic licks Lebron's anus" in any context and then be surprised when there is backlash shows questionable logic.

I just watched the video, I did not intend on watching the complete video after I saw that it was more than a few min. but I could not stop myself from enjoying the complete video. Chick and Magic were great together.
I am old and saw the Lakers of the eighties....but to watch Magic is like poetry in motion, no one that has ever played could do what Magic did. We can talk about all the so called great athletes of today, but what Magic could do is off the charts. Nobody could push the ball like Magic and still be under control and at 6'9", damm, I miss showtime.

This vid, dang. Just so exciting. Passing seems so dull today by comparison, even good passing like Nash's behind the back. That clip makes it seem that every possession you had no idea what was coming next, everybody running like cheetahs. Amazing. Dont think Ive ever seen a passer that good in the last ten years.

If you were to young to enjoy the Lakers of the eighties I commend you for appreciating how great Magic was.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject:

Anyone wonder why Magic shows Lebron so much respect when Lebron shows him so little? I've always wondered this.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Anyone wonder why Magic shows Lebron so much respect when Lebron shows him so little? I've always wondered this.

I can name 3 Laker greats that always complement others that have played at a high level.

Jerry, Kobe and Magic

All 3 have class....

I can understand Lebron not giving Magic his due, although I have never heard Lebron speak about Magic one way or another. I assume you have.

But what is even more perplexing, why do LGer's rip Magic for his assessment of others. That is hard to understand. All you have to do is read this thread.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
http://deadspin.com/sources-magic-johnson-left-espn-because-of-bill-simmon-1443543687

Read the comment section. Posted by the author with a link to the article linked below:

Quote:
Reactions. Magic's agent says that Magic goes to Dodger games with Simmons. He says that Simmons has been to Magic's house. He says they are friends. Simmons says Magic is GREAT. (Sure, OK, but who was saying they were enemies?)

Magic's agent:

"Magic and Bill Simmons got to be very close and continue to be close. Bill Simmons and Earvin Johnson are friends. Earvin's close to Bill. We called Bill before the release went out. Bill has been to parties at Earvin's house. He's been to Dodgers game with Bill. He likes Bill a lot."

Simmons:

"I loved getting to know Magic these past 12 months and was saddened to hear about his decision. We genuinely liked working with one another. Last night Lon Rosen and I were already talking about other possible projects that Magic and I could do together down the road. He's my friend. And a GREAT guy." Friday 9:34am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/10/10/magic-johnson-espn-leaving/2960031/
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Read the comment section. Posted by the author with a link to the article linked below:

Quote:
Reactions. Magic's agent says that Magic goes to Dodger games with Simmons. He says that Simmons has been to Magic's house. He says they are friends. Simmons says Magic is GREAT. (Sure, OK, but who was saying they were enemies?)

Magic's agent:

"Magic and Bill Simmons got to be very close and continue to be close. Bill Simmons and Earvin Johnson are friends. Earvin's close to Bill. We called Bill before the release went out. Bill has been to parties at Earvin's house. He's been to Dodgers game with Bill. He likes Bill a lot."

Simmons:

"I loved getting to know Magic these past 12 months and was saddened to hear about his decision. We genuinely liked working with one another. Last night Lon Rosen and I were already talking about other possible projects that Magic and I could do together down the road. He's my friend. And a GREAT guy." Friday 9:34am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/10/10/magic-johnson-espn-leaving/2960031/

Not surprised, Magic seems to get along with everybody, it's nice to know that Magic leaving ESPN is for the reason that have been already stated. Magic has to have a full plate, he has many business interest.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/magic-johnson-is-returning-to-espn-to-once-again-appear-on-nba-countdown.html

Quote:

MAGIC JOHNSON IS RETURNING TO ESPN TO ONCE AGAIN APPEAR ON ‘NBA COUNTDOWN’
Posted by Alex Putterman on Dec 5, 2016 14:55

Magic Johnson is returning to ESPN’s NBA Countdown, beginning on Christmas Day, the network announced Monday.

Johnson will be part of ESPN’s studio coverage for the network’s five Christmas broadcasts, then will settle into a role as a studio analyst for NBA Saturday Primetime on ABC, beginning Jan. 21 2017. That show will also feature Mike Wilbon and Sage Steele.

“I’m so excited to be working with my ESPN family again on NBA Countdown Saturday nights,” Johnson said in a press release. “Michael, Sage and I are going to have a lot of fun this season while we cover the greatest sport in the world. Basketball has been so good to me, and I can’t wait to once again share my love and passion for the game with the fans and my ESPN colleagues.”

Johnson appeared as an analyst on NBA Countdown from 2008-13, working alongside Wilbon for the last three years. He left ESPN under somewhat mysterious circumstances, with some reports blaming co-analyst Bill Simmons for forcing him out, which Simmons has vehemently denied. Simmons, of course, has since departed ESPN.

Since leaving ESPN, Johnson has gone on with his merry life, serving as figurehead owner of the Dodgers, presiding over his business empire and tweeting ridiculous things sometimes to keep us on our toes. Apparently he felt the need to spice up his Saturday nights with some studio analysis.

The analyst chairs on NBA Countdown sometimes feel like the Defense Against the Dark Arts professorship at Hogwarts, so we’ll see how long Magic (and Wilbon) last this time.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Captain obvious to the rescue for ESPN's terrible ratings?
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject:

"For the Lakers to win they need to score more points then the other team."

-Magic Tweet-
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Well, he's better than Jalen Rose.
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
Well, he's better than Jalen Rose.

I had to mute the draft whenever he started talking. He was either making crappy compaitsons or talking about how much a player made during his career.
IBWriter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Good. ESPN isn't a sports news network. It's a religion that worships Lebron.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject:

People's hate of Magic stems from him being complimentary of non-Lakers. And from what I gather in this thread, it's the Lebron hate factor. LOL! But if anybody ever saw Magic played and are a real Laker fan, you wouldn't say these stupid things about Magic. Magic will say Kobe's the goat one day, Lebron next week, MJ the following month. Magic dishes compliments like he dished dimes in his playing days. Even in his playing days, at the top of his game, he would tell you Larry Bird is the best. That's just Magic.

I would bet that most "fans" who have no trouble being disrespectful to Magic never saw Magic played. Have zero emotional connection as a fan with Magic. Probably mostly Kobe fans who hate the fact that he's complimenting Lebron. And soon enough, you guys will know what it's like when a new crop of fans who never saw Kobe play, say disrespectful things about him. Circle of Life in the Fandom.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
People's hate of Magic stems from him being complimentary of non-Lakers. And from what I gather in this thread, it's the Lebron hate factor. LOL! But if anybody ever saw Magic played and are a real Laker fan, you wouldn't say these stupid things about Magic. Magic will say Kobe's the goat one day, Lebron next week, MJ the following month. Magic dishes compliments like he dished dimes in his playing days. Even in his playing days, at the top of his game, he would tell you Larry Bird is the best. That's just Magic.

I would bet that "fans" who have no trouble being disrespect to Magic never saw Magic played. Have zero emotional connection as a fan with Magic. Probably mostly Kobe fans who hate the fact that he's complimenting Lebron. And soon enough, you guys will know what it's like when a new crop of fans who never saw Kobe play, say disrespectful things about him. Circle of Life in the Fandom.

So you're not seeing that now?
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject:

We will all miss his riveting analysis.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

Fortunately for you he's returning to ESPN
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Fortunately for you he's returning to ESPN

We will all diss his riveting analysis.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: