angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
By WAR Puig is a super bargain -- he's basically getting paid like 15-20% or so of what he's worth. It'd be stupid to trade him.

Given how much $ he makes, trading Puig would be a Pedro-like move.

Yep, one of the dumbest moves the Dodgers ever made was getting rid of Pedro before he became a star...that will haunt those 90's Dodgers teams forever....

Tommy is still saying he's too short.

Bob Feller would have disagreed.
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin

Source: Friedman's plan for now is to move forward with Mattingly as manager in 2015. #Dodgers

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
I would have started Puig but Ethier did get on twice. Something Puig wasn't doing. Turner was great but he was also blessed by the one of the highest babip's ever. I would have stuck with Dee. I would have hit Puig instead of Turner but Puig had also struck out 6 of his last 7 at bats or something like that. I understand the choice.

Fair enough. I didn't and still don't agree with his decision making on either of the Kershaw starts, nor Puig/Turner, but I can at least understand why he made the moves.

I don't think Don is great but I believe he'll be given one more chance because Ned gave him a bad bullpen.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

Kobewood wrote:
Quote:

Source: Friedman's plan for now is to move forward with Mattingly as manager in 2015. #Dodgers

why? it's the perfect timing to make manager change, can we give Rays some draft picks for Joe Madden already.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Kobewood wrote:
Quote:

why? it's the perfect timing to make manager change, can we give Rays some draft picks for Joe Madden already.

Why?

Mattingly has 1 year left .... Joe Madden has 1 year left
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

remember the thing about bullpen, it's very difficult to forecast how your bullpen perform just by the names you signed. our bullpen looked good on paper too back in April. it's all about development and stay injury-free. i wouldn't spend big money on bullpen unless for a shutdown closer, still don't trust Jensen.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Kobewood wrote:
Quote:

Why?

so we eat up Mattinging's contract, and give Rays some future picks, it's doable especially with Dodgers' deep pocketbook.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Kobewood wrote:
Quote:

Why?

so we eat up Mattinging's contract, and give Rays some future picks, it's doable especially with Dodgers' deep pocketbook.

Giving up picks is the last thing the Dodgers want to do. Kasten wants to build from within. That's why all top prospects weren't traded at the deadline.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Kobewood wrote:
Quote:

Why?

Giving up picks is the last thing the Dodgers want to do. Kasten wants to build from within. That's why all top prospects weren't traded at the deadline.

That, and you never trade talent for management.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

I think it'll be a slow deliberate process with Friedman. First he'll assemble the type of organizational system he had in place in Tampa Bay, where decisions won't be complicated by too many voices, then he'll hire his people in place. I wonder where this leaves Logan White, who has improved the drafting compared to the previous director still has had just enough misses where the minors are very top-heavy with little depth.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject:

1 down 1 to go.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Kobewood wrote:
Quote:

::Bane voice:: For now....

Only a matter of time before Donnie's reckoning.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Give it another year. If Donnie doesn't work, get Maddon without giving up prospecats next year. Donnie wasn't the isissue this year entirely. His ace and bullpen really blew it.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

I know Ned gets a lot of guff over the bullpen situation and it certainly backfired, but on paper, where GM's have to do their work, the bullpen wasn't looking too bad to begin the season. You had Wilson coming off a great year, who has a track record of success, and can be a fan favorite. Howell did his work until he broke down. We knew what we were getting with Perez, though a tad pricey. I do blame him for the ludicrous League contract. Can't quite blame him for Withrow going down but I do blame him for not getting an adequate replacement seeing as he went down in May.

Where I was disappointed in Ned was the moves or lack of moves. Carlos Santana for Casey Blake? Ugh. 0 additions to the bullpen when it was underachieving or even earlier call-ups? Blech. I wasn't asking for trades to get Price or Lester (see how well their new teams fared?), but the little moves to bolster depth and the bottom make all the difference. Ned didn't make those.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Logan White to GM?

A front office with Friedman and White might run circles around baseball. Hopefully they can work well together.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Kobewood wrote:
Quote:

OK, so 2015 will be a wasted season also it looks like.

That is just a terrible decision and makes me wonder about this guy already.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
I know Ned gets a lot of guff over the bullpen situation and it certainly backfired, but on paper, where GM's have to do their work, the bullpen wasn't looking too bad to begin the season. You had Wilson coming off a great year, who has a track record of success, and can be a fan favorite. Howell did his work until he broke down. We knew what we were getting with Perez, though a tad pricey. I do blame him for the ludicrous League contract. Can't quite blame him for Withrow going down but I do blame him for not getting an adequate replacement seeing as he went down in May.

Where I was disappointed in Ned was the moves or lack of moves. Carlos Santana for Casey Blake? Ugh. 0 additions to the bullpen when it was underachieving or even earlier call-ups? Blech. I wasn't asking for trades to get Price or Lester (see how well their new teams fared?), but the little moves to bolster depth and the bottom make all the difference. Ned didn't make those.

I only half blame that on Ned, honestly. McCourt was too cheap to pay the rest of Beard's contract for the trade so he had Ned throw in Santana so the Indians would pick up the rest of the tab.
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Give it another year. If Donnie doesn't work, get Maddon without giving up prospecats next year. Donnie wasn't the isissue this year entirely. His ace and bullpen really blew it.

It's clear that Mattingly is already halfway out the door. And you know what? He himself knows it.

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
By WAR Puig is a super bargain -- he's basically getting paid like 15-20% or so of what he's worth. It'd be stupid to trade him.

Yep, one of the dumbest moves the Dodgers ever made was getting rid of Pedro before he became a star...that will haunt those 90's Dodgers teams forever....

F'n Jody Reed... If he had re-signed, the Dodgers wouldn't have to make such a stupid trade. I never liked the trade from the get go since Pedro was one of my favorite players at the time. A small guy with nasty stuff that wasn't afraid of the opponent? Dodgers can use a bunch of those right now.

That trade was only one of a series of Claire/Lasorda/Fox trades that, along with bad ownership, could be blamed for why the Dodgers are looking at a 26-year drought.

John Wetteland for Eric Davis
Paul Konerko for Jeff Shaw
Pedro Guerrero for a dozen starts from John Tudor
Mike Piazza
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject:

How stable and reliable have Tampa Bay's bullpens been under Friedman's watch?

#WIN4VIN
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

F'n Jody Reed... If he had re-signed, the Dodgers wouldn't have to make such a stupid trade. I never liked the trade from the get go since Pedro was one of my favorite players at the time. A small guy with nasty stuff that wasn't afraid of the opponent? Dodgers can use a bunch of those right now.

That trade was only one of a series of Claire/Lasorda/Fox trades that, along with bad ownership, could be blamed for why the Dodgers are looking at a 26-year drought.

Mike Piazza

That trade was horrible. We barely gave him a chance. Konerko was an absolute beast in Albuquerque. He batted 20 points higher than Joc and had even more home runs.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject:

The gave up on Konerko way too early. Poor internal talent evaluation.

Tommy didn't seem to like Guerrero. That nasty knee tendon rupture that derailed a superstar career emanated from extra sliding drills imposed by Lasorda from some infraction.

But yeah, the dumbest trade was getting a rather ordinary ballplayer (Delino Deshields) for an emerging pitching talent (Pedro Martinez). It was obvious during his final Dodgers season as a middle reliever/setup man that he was going to be something special, possibly better than Ramon.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The gave up on Konerko way too early. Poor internal talent evaluation.

Tommy didn't seem to like Guerrero. That nasty knee tendon rupture that derailed a superstar career emanated from extra sliding drills imposed by Lasorda from some infraction.

But yeah, the dumbest trade was getting a rather ordinary ballplayer (Delino Deshields) for an emerging pitching talent (Pedro Martinez). It was obvious during his final Dodgers season as a middle reliever/setup man that he was going to be something special, possibly better than Ramon.

Delino always seemed to murder us as an Expo so I was somewhat hopeful that the trade would pay dividends, but Delino was awful as a Dodger.

Man, the thought of Pedro, Piazza, Konerko to go along with our other rookie of the year studs (Mondesi, Karros, Hollandsworth, Nomo), yeah, we likely wouldn't be in a 26 year World Series drought.
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject:

The Octavio Dotel trade sticks out to me for whatever reason.

#WIN4VIN
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Mike Piazza

Great... Now I want to go punch something. Thanks for bringing up all those bad memories.

The front office was real clueless during that period. Stupid Lasorda not knowing about the 10-5 rule when he traded for Jeff Shaw, which meant having to overpay him just to stay on top of giving up your top position and pitching prospect for a freakin' reliever. Missing out on Vladimir Guerrero. Signing Carlos Perez to an extension for some reason. Not re-signing Mike Piazza to a longer term contract at only around $10 million/yr just to save some money and then dealing him away. Then trading away the catcher in that trade for an even worse catcher in Hundley. Shoot... I don't have enough time to go over all the stupid moves they made during that time period.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 306, 307, 308 ... 310, 311, 312  Next
Page 307 of 312
Jump to: