2014 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 309, 310, 311, 312  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11754873/tampa-bay-rays-manager-joe-maddon-exercises-opt-clause-leaving-team

Joe Maddon has just opted out.

Okay fellas, you know what to do.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11754873/tampa-bay-rays-manager-joe-maddon-exercises-opt-clause-leaving-team

Wow - I really hope this happens. It means two things: either he already knows that the Dodgers have a great offer for him, or that he's going to pressure the Rays to pay him.

EDIT: he's not coaching the Rays in 2015.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Wow - I really hope this happens. It means two things: either he already knows that the Dodgers have a great offer for him, or that he's going to pressure the Rays to pay him.

EDIT: he's not coaching the Rays in 2015.

Probably got offered a job by another team.
Managing the Rays is probably the most crappy job in all of baseball with the exception of the Marlins...You basically go play in this giant warehouse in the middle of Florida where the fans don't show up.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

i'd be pissed off if Angels made a wink wink deal with Maddon before him optioned out. remember Angels underachieved also in recent years, and their owner's not afraid of spending money either. don't be surprised if they go after Maddon hard.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i'd be pissed off if Angels made a wink wink deal with Maddon before him optioned out. remember Angels underachieved also in recent years, and their owner's not afraid of spending money either. don't be surprised if they go after Maddon hard.

no problem. We'll take Scioscia
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

no thank you. taking Scioscia would be exactly like hiring of B Scott. an old pal of the organization, had some success elsewhere before wore out their welcome.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

no thank you. taking Scioscia would be exactly like hiring of B Scott. an old pal of the organization, had some success elsewhere before wore out their welcome.

unlike Scott, Scioscia has a ring and has made the playoffs numerous times. Catchers usually make the best managers: Girardi, Torre, Scioscia, Matheny, Bochy, Ausmus, Maddon (even though he was just a Minor League catcher)
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/24/friedman-mattingly-will-manage-the-dodgers-in-2015/

This makes me sad.

Kiss my Converse.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

unlike Scott, Scioscia has a ring and has made the playoffs numerous times. Catchers usually make the best managers: Girardi, Torre, Scioscia, Matheny, Bochy, Ausmus, Maddon (even though he was just a Minor League catcher)

if Dodgers have a young roster, then yes, bring in Scioscia would be a good move since he can shape them up really well. with this roster full of stars with big personalities, i don't think he can manage the egos. this has been his shortcomings with the Angels since they went on that spending spree, they were much better cohesive team before they signed Pujols, Wilson and Hamilton.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:

That IS sad. Maybe Friedman left out one word in his statement, "Don Mattingly will be our general manager next season..."
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Could just be Maddon takes a year off to prepare for how he manages the Dodgers while Mattingly becomes a lame duck. Or the fact that this is a Florida team where residents are too busy doing stupid and crazy things to watch a baseball game.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Could just be Maddon takes a year off to prepare for how he manages the Dodgers while Mattingly becomes a lame duck. Or the fact that this is a Florida team where residents are too busy doing stupid and crazy things to watch a baseball game.

He takes a year off to analyze the players on the team and the farm system. That'd be acceptable if true. But then that means another year with Donnie Ball. Not sure if that's the best scenario.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

http://www.faketeams.com/2014/10/26/7073215/mlb-trade-rumors-giancarlo-stanton-for-yasiel-puig

I know it's totally speculative, but out of curiosity and for the sake of argument, would you do it?

TBT, I would.

Kiss my Converse.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
http://www.faketeams.com/2014/10/26/7073215/mlb-trade-rumors-giancarlo-stanton-for-yasiel-puig

I know it's totally speculative, but out of curiosity and for the sake of argument, would you do it?

TBT, I would.

Straight up?

(bleep) yeah.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

TBT, I would.

Straight up?

(bleep) yeah.

Quote:
The fact that they want to compete this season could prevent the Marlins from pursuing a deal involving Stanton, but adding Puig, along with a few prospects not named Pederson, Seager or Urias, wouldn't be a big downgrade for them.

The bolded is the key. As long as we don't give up any of those guys, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Kiss my Converse.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

TBT, I would.

Straight up?

(bleep) yeah.

Quote:
The fact that they want to compete this season could prevent the Marlins from pursuing a deal involving Stanton, but adding Puig, along with a few prospects not named Pederson, Seager or Urias, wouldn't be a big downgrade for them.

The bolded is the key. As long as we don't give up any of those guys, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'd give up Seager with Puig.

Stanton is a perennial MVP caliber player and is 24. You're not getting much better than that.

I was against giving up a prospect for an aging veteran that was unlikely to re-sign but this is a top 5 player who barely was able to drink a few years ago. When you have a prospect you hope he's a quality starter, and you pray he's all-star caliber. As far as MVP-level? You wish for it, although the reality is it's a long shot to be among a handful of the best in the game type players. Stanton is already that.

The only negative in that deal is the money factor since Puig and our prospects make relative peanuts. Even then that's a minor negative since this is baseball. No salary cap so who cares.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

TBT, I would.

Straight up?

(bleep) yeah.

Quote:

Stanton is a perennial MVP caliber player and is 24. You're not getting much better than that.

I was against giving up a prospect for an aging veteran that was unlikely to re-sign but this is a top 5 player who barely was able to drink a few years ago. When you have a prospect you hope he's a quality starter, and you pray he's all-star caliber. As far as MVP-level? You wish for it, although the reality is it's a long shot to be among a handful of the best in the game type players. Stanton is already that.

The only negative in that deal is the money factor since Puig and our prospects make relative peanuts. Even then that's a minor negative since this is baseball. No salary cap so who cares.

I'm inclined to agree with everything you said. I had no idea Stanton was only 24. He'd be an awesome get.

Continuing with the pipe, if somehow this actually becomes reality, and we can upgrade Don for Joe with Friedman already in place, it would definitely lessen the blow of SF winning the Series this year.

Kiss my Converse.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

TBT, I would.

Straight up?

(bleep) yeah.

Quote:

I'm inclined to agree with everything you said. I had no idea Stanton was only 24. He'd be an awesome get.

Continuing with the pipe, if somehow this actually becomes reality, and we can upgrade Don for Joe with Friedman already in place, it would definitely lessen the blow of SF winning the Series this year.

Agreed with the bolded. I think this should be the priority. The talent on the field is above and beyond what's needed to go all the way.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Money could make this a reality. If the Dodgers want to pay him more than they would. Question. Even if Puig turns out to be the best in the league, stanton is a good return and isnt delino deshields.
lalakeshow88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Logan White to work for Padres

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/mlb/story/_/id/11773645/logan-white-leaving-los-angeles-dodgers-joining-san-diego-padres-front-office

This is not good. I was incredibly excited when Friedman was hired, but first retaining Donny and now this?
White was the scout who drafted Billingsley, Russel Martin, James Loney, Kershaw, and Matt Kemp, not to mention Hiroki Kuroda, Hyun-jin Ryu, and Yasiel Puig.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject:

lalakeshow88 wrote:
Quote:

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/mlb/story/_/id/11773645/logan-white-leaving-los-angeles-dodgers-joining-san-diego-padres-front-office

This is not good. I was incredibly excited when Friedman was hired, but first retaining Donny and now this?
White was the scout who drafted Billingsley, Russel Martin, James Loney, Kershaw, and Matt Kemp, not to mention Hiroki Kuroda, Hyun-jin Ryu, and Yasiel Puig.

sure he discovered some stars, but overall our farm system is one of the worst, dare i say top heavy?
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
lalakeshow88 wrote:
Quote:

sure he discovered some stars, but overall our farm system is one of the worst, dare i say top heavy?

Our farm system isn't elite but is above average. It was elite 10 years ago, then sucked a few years ago, and is climbing its way back to elite. On White, he had a really good run of picks a decade ago but hasn't done much recently. Part of that might have been due to McCourt. He was after all getting good prospects again with new ownership.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/24/friedman-mattingly-will-manage-the-dodgers-in-2015/

This makes me sad.

Well one thing is for sure, Dodgers ain't winning jack with this guy.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

TBT, I would.

Straight up?

(bleep) yeah.

Quote:

I wouldn't give up Seager. Any other prospect, yes, but not him. He plays a premium defensive position and has power.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
lalakeshow88 wrote:
Quote:

Our farm system isn't elite but is above average. It was elite 10 years ago, then sucked a few years ago, and is climbing its way back to elite. On White, he had a really good run of picks a decade ago but hasn't done much recently. Part of that might have been due to McCourt. He was after all getting good prospects again with new ownership.

I disagree. I'd say most if not all of the blame should be placed on Ned/McCourt. Recently, White's been responsible for us getting Puig, Seager, Pederson, and Urias. That's just the players who are still with us. You can throw in Carlos Santana, Justin Ruggiano, Eric Stults, and Nathan Eovaldi as current solid players that we acquired. In addition, there were players we keyed on early but they declined the softball offers from Ned/McCourt to go to college instead, such as David Price, Luke Hochevar, Paul Goldschmidt, Matt Antonelli, Joe Savery, Jordy Mercer, Alex White, Stephen Piscotty and Kevin Gausman. White got talent and now the Madres have him. This loss hurts bad.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 309, 310, 311, 312  Next
Page 310 of 312
Jump to: